Start by marking “Invader Zim Book #1” as Want to Read:
Invader Zim Book #1

Invader Zim Book #1

(Invader Zim)

"Never has a comic so purposefully stupid lied on a foundation of comedic skill so honed and smart." You said it, Paste Magazine. From the far reaches of weird space to the incomprehensible world of underground art, ZIM is back! And his thirst for world domination has only grown! ZIM and his filthy evil ways have been gone for what feels like years. But Dib KNOWS the alien ...more
Published January 27th 2016 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Invader Zim Book #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invader Zim Book #1

Leah
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up the Convention edition last year at Gen Con and knew that with the con right around the corner, I needed to read this so I could *hopefully* get the second book. I know the convention special of book 2 is a fuzzy Gir version, and I want it so bad!

I knew going into this that I was going to love it. I've been a rabid fangirl of Jhonen Vasquez since I was 13 and picking up JTHM from Hot Topic. After Invader Zim was released, I just knew that Vasquez was an author I'd continue to read fo
Melissa Chung
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read. I had never heard of Invader Zim, although the Zim robot guy looks familiar. I think I've seen him in stuffed animal form. Anywho, Volume one is the first 5 chapters of this very funny series.

Invader Zim is an alien robot who has been outcasted by his society. I can't remember if he was sent to Earth or he crash landed and is making the most of it. Zim has decided to enroll in school and while there a fellow human notices he is not of this world. Dib is Zim's human nemesis.

Dib
Tasha
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Zim, GIR, Dib & Gaz are back. It's like the TV show all over again. Crazy stories, weird characters, Zim shouting, snacks (although no Tacos yet), and complacent Tallest. Wonderful!
Willow
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-comics
Everything about this is AMAZING! (Yes, I thought that in Zim's voice as I typed it. No, I'm not sorry).
Britt
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Total star rating: 4 stars. I liked it! I was a fan back in the day, but If you're not familiar with the material you're probably going to be lost and confused.
Okay so before I get onto the actual review, I want to say while I'm a fan of Jhonen's work I wouldn't consider myself in the "fandom." I just mostly like his art and writing. But to be honest, I just don't want to be associated with the fandom. No offense to the fandom. I just don't want people getting the wrong idea.
Now that being said
Emily Farquharson-Hall
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A welcome return of the Irken Invader
Charles
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
If I had a dog, I'd name him GIR.

This is the first five (5) issues of the comic, which I had previously read. There are four stories, with the first one being the best and longest. However, they are not properly stories-- they're vignettes.

Going back to them after a long time was like seeing with new eyes. The first time I read the books, I was more interested in the stylized graphics. This time through, I payed more attention to Vásquez's stories. The existential humor of them was better than I
Swankivy
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Zim's back! In graphic form! I very much enjoyed this comic, being a fan of the author's cartoon and other work. In this one they do a fantastic job bringing back the Dib/Zim rivalry in all its absurdity, adhering (mainly) to the continuity of where the show left off, including all the GIR jokes (though some are on the predictable side, but what're you gonna do), and throwing in tons of made-up words (like "shmoop"). I also really like how even aliens are very human in their bullying tendencies, ...more
Becky B
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
GIR IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Minimoose!!! Oh, and Zim, Dib, Gaz, Prof. Membrane, and the Tallest too! And there's all new adventures! And I'm so happy!!! Ahem. Yes, so on with the summarizing stuff.

Chapter 1 & 2: First off, Zim's long absence is explained as a plot to drive Dib completely crazy and turn him into a vile, putrid, slob (which worked incredibly well) so Zim can get a head start on his quest to find the Gargantis Array. Of course Zim will use the Gargantis Array for some
Daniel Shellenbarger
Yeah! Invader Zim is back! Woohoo! Except it's just a graphic novel... oh... well, yeah, that's still good I guess.

Invader Zim is (for the uninitiated) a cartoon show that ran on Nickolodeon about a decade ago for one glorious season of utter brilliant hilarious madness (except for Dark Harvest, that episode is just wrong). Zim is a member of the Irken species, whose genetic imperative is to eat snacks, shoot stuff, and rule the galaxy and absolute power goes to whichever members of the species
Baal Of
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I nearly exploded (that happens sometimes) in the comic book store when I saw this new Invader Zim book sitting on the shelf. And oh my farking gourd it is begoodious. If you loved the show, and you, like me, harbor a deep-seated resentment toward Nickelodian for cancelling the series, then this will be a welcome return to the demented world of Zim, Gir, Gaz, Dib, Minimoose, and all the filthy humans of the backwater planet called Earth. Vasquez and his team have given free rein to their shmapsi ...more
Lydia
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picks up directly after the cartoon show (though thanks to "Recap Kid", if you've never seen an episode you won't be completely lost, still will make more sense if you've at least watched a couple episodes), with Zim mysteriously disappearing and Dib reacting (per usual) by dialing the obsessive to eleven. However, the real reason to cheer? GIR IS BACK!!!!! Broken into five sections that completely feel like episodes from the show, not loosing any of the crazy (unfortunately also not loosing any ...more
Ari
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I love Invader Zim and this book certainly honors the characters and the world. The writers are pulling from the world and the continuity in a fun way. However, I was looking for more of a continued, building story rather than single episodes in the form of each chapter. The first few made it seem like they would create a single story; yet as I kept reading I began to fade in and out of interest.
Erikka
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have missed Zim and Gir. Like, so much. This was so much like the show it's scary. While I enjoyed the first four chapters, the last chapter (5) was by far the best. All of the video game puns!!!! Can't wait to read more.
Kai Van
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
A great addition for fans of the show. Love being back in the world. Loved it.
Vinton Bayne
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I was expecting. It's just like the show, however it just made me want to go back and watch the show again.
Ashly Lynn
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who used to love or still loves the show.
Recommended to Ashly by: I loveeeee Invader Zim.
This was everything I wanted and oh so much more. Perfect. It was perfect. I smiled the entire time I was reading this.

RTC
AyyyDaria _Reads
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
As much as I enjoyed the TV show as a child. I didn't really enjoy the comics.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
So I'm pretty sure this was once a TV series (that's how much research I've done). I basically picked it up because I saw it on the "new" graphic novel shelf at my library. Oh, and the bright colors also drew me in. Invader Zim is basically an incompetent alien who thinks his race has sent him to Earth to destroy it when really they just wanted him gone. He has a sidekick robot named Gir and Dib, a geek, is basically the only one on Earth who realizes what Zim is up to and has taken it upon hims ...more
Tommy Carson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amy Layton
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, sci-fi
Oh man, this made my younger self jump with joy.  This is the type of weird, stupid, creepy humor that I absolutely loved and still love.  It's stylistically and typographically perfect in the way that I remember.  This has some weirdly graphic parts, but that's, I suppose, to be totally expected.  Additionally, there's lots of weird plotlines, and reappearances of some of our favorite characters such as Mini-Moose and The Almighty Tallest.  I'm so glad I found this--I knew it existed and yet I ...more
Amani
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Chapter 1: 5/5
Chapter 2: 3.5/5
Chapter 3: 3/5
Chapter 4: 2.75/5
Chapter 5: 2/5

While this was vey nostalgic for me I enjoyed it less than I expected. The main storyline was good and I loved the space donkey. However, Chapter 4 and 5 were basically filler stories that I did not enjoy especially chapter 5.

This takes place a couple of years after the show and has the same dark humor that you expect but is better to me on TV than reading it. I did laugh more than I typically do when reading something so
StayHome AndDoNothing
If you were ever a fan of the show then you gotta read the comics. They're as wild and funny as the show. Invader Zim was one of the few things I loved as a kid that I continued to love after I grew up. And at 25 I can still get tons of laughs out of it while reading at work. And with a low price tag on the volumes, do yourself a favor and get the comic. If you ever enjoyed the show, you'll love this fun read.
Rita
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I used to love this show, but I was disappointed by the book. I liked the story ideas, but got the feeling they were trying to represent the show's feeling by turning the idiocy and volume to the max. Maybe it's just because I'm older, but it felt more like a caricature of Zim than a medium that will work on its own. Not for me at least.
Kat
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
oh man does this bring back memories lol the humor in this probably wont be for everyone but I grew up watching the show. The graphic novel captures that odd humor and really did make me laugh. Id say this was a hit for those who liked the show way back when.
Ian
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The franchise works even better as a comic than it did as a show. Pacing is less of an issue, there's no (wonderful but) shrill voice acting to exhaust me, and there's unlimited time to savor the nuances of performance, style, and world-building.
Kyle
A laugh out loud funny collection of the first ten volumes of the Invader Zim series post the show. Mostly one shots and AU. f you loved the show you’ll love this collection. Also includes funny inserts and a dedicated section to cover art.
Chris Petruccio
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's more Zim. And more Zim is a good thing. Miss the show but this is an acceptable replacement.

The gamer references in the back half of this was a great nod. Jhonen shows off some gamer cred by being into Binding of Isaac.
Daniel
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the entirety of the Invader Zim television series and this book reads just like the show. As I read along, I can hear the voices of the character and the timing/pacing is spot on. Happily, the art is exactly as I remember it being on the show.
Chante Fuller
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Just not the same as the show. Plots and jokes just seem forced and uninventive.
  • Rick and Morty, Vol. 2
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Starve, Vol. 1
  • Revival, Vol. 6: Thy Loyal Sons & Daughters
  • We Can Never Go Home Volume 1
  • Howard the Duck, Volume 0: What the Duck?
  • Bob's Burgers: Medium Rare
  • Pyramid Power (Pyramid, #2)

Invader Zim (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Invader Zim #1