Start by marking “Social Media for Writers: Marketing Strategies for Building Your Audience and Selling Books” as Want to Read:

Maximize the Potential of Your Online Brand!

Over the past decade, social media has transformed from a fad into a necessity for writers. But for the inexperienced author, trying to make sense of--much less master--the available platforms can be a frustrating experience. The variety of social media options alone is dizzying enough: WordPress, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, Googl
Published December 1st 2015 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Social Media for Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Social Media for Writers

Start your review of Social Media for Writers: Marketing Strategies for Building Your Audience and Selling Books
Douglas Wilson
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordsmithing
Good sturdy stuff. Practical information, of the kind I need.
Ashley Earley
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone that struggles to stay active on social media (aside from Goodreads and Instagram), I found this to be pretty helpful.

The book suggests to pick 3 social media platforms to be active on so not to be overwhelmed by it all. I picked Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram (and Goodreads, of course. I can't give up Goodreads). After picking these 3 platforms, I started to focus on them and only them over a weekend. The response was surprising. I started to get more likes and follows on Tumblr and
Joany Vries
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dit boek is echt gericht op mensen die nog niks met social media hebben. Een technische infodump over de verschillende platforms en nog geen handvol praktische tips waar ik daadwerkelijk wat aan heb. Jammer.
Dave
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
More of a reference book than a casual read, this is a useful guide for the social media novice. This is an especially valuable collection of techniques for writers to employ when trying to establish a brand. The book spells out the dos and don’ts of the major online resources and is a help and comfort to the timid. Meant for those dipping a toe into the stream, it is an effective tool and a comfortable place to start.
H.R.
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice book filled with lots of helpful information for writers who might not be sure what all they can do with social media or what different social media platforms there are out there and all the options they have.
L.M. Ransom
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been using different social media for a while now, as most people have, but knew there were probably things I wasn't doing right, or more things I should be doing. As a writer who hopes to have a great indie career, I wanted to know more about using the different social media platforms that are available, and this was a terrific book for that. Tee Morris and his wife, Pip Ballantine, know what they're talking about, because they use a lot of the medias mentioned. I enjoyed their style of ...more
Marsha Breazeale
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a an excellent book for anyone wanting to self-publish. Actually, today, it probably is a good book for authors published through an agent, too--since many of the publishing houses no longer do the all-out marketing they once did decades ago. This book pretty much covers how to access and use virtually all of the social media. Keep in mind it was written in 2015, so according to Moore's Law, it's already outdated. But it's an excellent place to start. Well written, easy to read. My only ...more
Tammie Painter
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This would be an excellent book for someone completely unfamiliar with social media. It covers the features and "point of" all the major social media outlets and a few smaller ones, as well as giving you a guide for how to set up accounts with a few of the biggies. There are a few hints on topics for your blog or Tumblr, but I was kind of hoping for something a little more in-depth on how to present your book and work, maybe even a book launch schedule. If you're not already on social media as a ...more
Lynette  Lee (J.Kirby)
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tee Morris wrote "Social Media for Writers" to teach them how to utilize the social media to form a writer's platform and to use that platform for marketing purposes. This book is just not made for independent writers. I have published in both markets, and I find that it is quite useful in both worlds. Morris divides his book by social media outlets, dedicating a chapter to each. Here Morris teachers writers proper etiquette skills when publishing on social media. This book is well worth the buy ...more
Cyliena
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an assigned text for a BA in English & Creative Writing class.

Good tips, especially for those completely new to social media. There is limited value for those already experienced. Be aware that the constant evolution of social media has made some facts outdated. As long as you do the extra work to realize that Twitter now has double the character limit, Vine no longer exists, and so on, this book still serves its purpose.
Steven
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the advice of this book. It’s pretty simple to follow and the appendix at the back makes the technical parts easier. Of course any book on social media seems to be extinct a few years later but I think much of the advice can reach beyond that.
Douglas Phillips
Kind of unrealistic to think that an author has time to do all this stuff, but it's a good list of things to contemplate doing - whenever you get a spare 30 minutes!
Linda Runnebaum
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!!
Stacia Leigh
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to, marketing
Lots of information and well organized.
Paula Marais
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book, but I read it on Audible and I feel I may have lost one or two points without having had them written down. Also there were a few issues with the quality of the reading, as one could pick up a few areas where there were hesitations that might have been edited out.

That said, the authors know their stuff. They address everything from Wordpress to Periscope, giving tips specifically related to writers, which were really helpful. I would consider buying the Kindle book to rerea
Lilly Rose
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
As someone who has been at social media for years (both in a writer capacity and personal) this all seemed like very basic information. If you were just starting out and had never used Facebook or Twitter or were looking to start a blog for the very first time in your life this might be useful. But otherwise this is all just very generic, very basic stuff.
Lisa Marie
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
A good book with a general overlay of a variety of social media tools. I will need to look at it again when I'm ready to start things like a Twitter and Facebook writer's account. Until then, I skimmed through sections I didn't need at the moment. Good reference tool for writer's trying to create their social presence.
Charles
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Packed with helpful information for the writer who is new to using social media for the purposes of promoting work and connecting with readers. Redundant at times, but overall a decent read. If you are looking to learn more about the popular social media platforms - and how to better utilize them - I recommend picking this up and giving it a read.

Lyn
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-interest
This was a great resource for me to set up different platforms to get my own book out there. It breaks down each media with simple instructions to establish your presence from Facebook to Tumblr. I particularly found the breakdown of WordPress the most helpful. I recommend this for anyone trying to establish their presence on the web not just writers.
Kirk Hanley
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book provides an overview of all the social media websites and tools available for writers. None of them are covered in great depth and it can be a bit repetitive at times, but this guide is a good place for an author to begin building a platform.
Jaylee
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Writers
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Definitely a need to read for all authors out there. Easy to skip through and find the platform you want to learn about or to read cover to cover and learn about all of them.
M.L. Childs
Kelsie Engen
Dec 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Excellence #1
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Psychology Applied to Modern Life: Adjustment in the 21st Century
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • Basic Math & Pre-Algebra For Dummies
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
  • How to Write Dazzling Dialogue: The Fastest Way to Improve Any Manuscript
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • God on Mayhem Street: A Leo Townsend Novel (Leo Townsend Novels Book 2)
  • High Fidelity
  • Up All Night: Ted Turner, CNN, and the Birth of 24-Hour News
  • Killer Show
  • To Obama: With Love, Joy, Anger, and Hope
  • Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock
  • The Blacker the Berry...
  • The Birth of a Nation: How a Legendary Filmmaker and a Crusading Editor Reignited America's Civil War
  • The Sanity We Are Born With: A Buddhist Approach to Psychology
Tee Morris began his writing career with his 2002 historical epic fantasy, MOREVI The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana. In 2005 Tee took MOREVI into the then-unknown podosphere, making his novel the first book podcast in its entirety. That experience led to the founding of Podiobooks.com and collaborating with Evo Terra and Chuck Tomasi on Podcasting for Dummies and its follow-up, Expert Podcasting Pra ...more