Start by marking “Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II” as Want to Read:
Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II

Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Much has been written about World War II, but not often do we hear about the immeasurable suffering of the Germans who wanted no part of Hitler's regime."Abandoned and Forgotten" is the memoir of a young girl growing up in the then-German province of East Prussia by the Baltic Sea. Orphaned at the age of nine and left to fend for herself in a hostile world, Evelyne Tannehi ...more
Published January 15th 2007 by Wheatmark

To ask other readers questions about Abandoned and Forgotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abandoned and Forgotten

Lenita
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story. I had not believed that the children in wartime were treated so terribly. IT is a wonder that any of them survived. I wished all today's children could read it to know how really good they have it! Thank you for this stirring account of your life. It answers alot of questions I had.
Leigh
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book about Prussia during World War II. I liked the way she wrote and I was glad to learn so much about an area I didn't know about.
Chris
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A great view of WWII from the German point of view. Horrifying.
George
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you want an eye opening account of what it was like to live in German East Prussia during WW II and the Russian over running of the area and then the Poles moving in, this is the account to read.

This is an autobiography of a girl who is 9 at the end of the war and what she experienced first with her immediate family, then as an orphan moving among Polish families until being reunited with aunts in Germany three years later. It is a very moving account.
Sherry
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Harsh and graphic story...that said...I couldn't put it down. Story of a family in Prussia in the early 1940s and all the upheaval and tragedy caused by war and Hitler's influence. it described how most people wanted to idolize and follow him...right up until it got ugly....told from the girl's point of view over many years...very interesting read!
Kathleen
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Still another view point of the horrors of Hitler's atrocities. I had no idea of the unique suffering those of eastern Prussia endured. A story of relentless suffering and man's depravity. Not a happy read, but a "good to know" read...
Kathyg
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: book club, hubby, friends
Recommended to Kathyg by: book club
Amazing story beginning with middle class German parents of five children sucked into the horrors of the Hitler war machine, leaving behind (because of their death) a nine year old daughter to face the brutal world alone who survives.
Rita
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating story of a young girl who comes of age during WWII in Prussia. It also tells of how everyone forgot about Prussia. When the Russians invaded Prussia during the end of WWII, they killed almost all of the Prussians and kicked them out of their own county.
cindy kreger
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

well written and heartfelt. profound. An entirely different view of how the war affected Germans. I will never forget this story.
Kate
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful story teller, Evelyn tells of her experience during WWII in Germany from a perspective not often heard. Well worth the read if you enjoy history.
Jennifer Galbraith
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This took me a while to get through but it's an absolutely amazing account that you normally don't get!
Lesley
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very moving book. It opened my eyes to some aspects of WWII in Germany that I've never thought of before.
Ilene
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Riveting. Couldn't put it down. Another tale of horror and woe courtesy of the III Reich!!
Kim
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
The author tells her story of surviving the atrocities as a german citizen falling to the invasion of the Russians at the end of WWII. Intense suffering.
Peta
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed a perspective I have never read about before.
Janine
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Her prose is beautiful even alongside the horrors of the time. This book is set in the part of Germany that is now Poland.
Susan Angle
Pitty Party

While I found the history interesting, I thought the book dragged on and on. Her self centered focus on her suffering grew tiresome.
Ian
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable, especially once the invasion began.
Lilla Store
Tracy
Nov 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Search
  • Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany
  • Saints and Villains