Start by marking “Flowers for the Dead” as Want to Read:
Flowers for the Dead

Read Book* *Different edition

Flowers for the Dead

ADAM WILL DO ANYTHING TO MAKE LAURA HAPPY. EVEN IF IT KILLS HER. After a devastating car crash wipes out her family, Laura struggles to get her life together. Grieving, she becomes forgetful. She doesn't remember how money got into her purse, or buying that pint of milk... Adam is the perfect boyfriend. He cooks meals. He does the housework. He looks after Laura's every ...more
Published September 2nd 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Flowers for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flowers for the Dead

Start your review of Flowers for the Dead
Dita
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dita by: Felicia
Shelves: audiobook
Poor Adam, he just doesn't understand why his relationships with girls who don't know they are in a relationship with him keep going so terribly wrong. One day he will meet someone he doesn't have to kill.

Right?

One day he will get over all the stuff his mom did to him.

Right?

Trigger warnings: Yes, like, every single one of them.

I would never give this book a bad rating because after reading it I am a teensy weensy bit super afraid of Barbara Copperthwaite.

But it earned every star.

Girl...what
Felicia
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The sad fact is his track record with women is very bad so far. They tend to hurt him and let him down badly. No matter what lovely things he does for them they seem unappreciative. Often, they showed a bewildering inability to be happy. When that happens he is always forced to act, to put his own needs aside, and to put the woman out of her misery."

Sighhhhhhhh ... How friggin sweet is that? Move over Kellan Kyle, I think Adam Bourne is my new book boyfriend. *swoon*

And boy does he need a check
Angela Marsons
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. I found myself both frightened of and sympathetic to Adam at the same time. His pursuit of Laura was relentless but given his past his mental state was quite understandable although I'm not sure Laura would agree. The tension built throughout towards the breathtaking and emotional climax. Highly recommended.
Tracy Fenton
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Flowers for the Dead is a cracking read with some brilliant characters and a great storyline. However I now have a major problem because I actually really liked Adam the serial killer and felt sorry for him so now I think there might be something wrong with me!! Highly recommended for lovers of sick and twisted serial killers! #teamAdam ...more
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Flowers For The Dead is the first book I have read by this author and after reading this one it certainly will not be the last!

Adam Bourne is a serial killer like no other that I have read about. He really is one very sick and twisted individual. Not only does he kill unsuspecting women he also stalks them, watching their every movement.

Laura Weir is still trying to come to terms with the loss of her family after a crash which Laura was the only survivor. Laura starts to notice little things at
Joanne Robertson
Once in a while a book comes along that is so different to anything else that I've read it kind of takes my breath away! It has taken me a long time to read this book (kindle problem mainly!) but it's one of those that you need to savour and slowly digest to get every last drop of brilliance from it. It's like a fairy tale of old, when they were gruesome and scary, something not allowed in our politically correct world today! And this adult fairy tale certainly didn't have a happy ending!

Adam
Tracy Fenton
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flowers for the Dead is a cracking read with
Beadyjan
Ohh FANTASTIC read!

What a chilling and scary look into the mind of a serial killer. In Flowers for the dead, we are taken deep into the psyche of Adam, he is the main protagonist of this killer thriller. There is never any element of who dunnit, we know he did it, we know who he did it to and we are pretty darn sure we know who he's going to do it to next!

Given that the other part of the storyline focusses on the life of Laura who has had a really tough time of things, it's evident that her and
Shell Baker
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I would like to thank the ladies at Mim's Book Club for recommending this to me. I have heard lots of good things about Flowers For The Dead at the last two meetups. And I have to say they wasn't wrong. I am so glad I bumped it up my tbr pile after buying it in December.

This book is one hell of read and totally took my breath away. Seriously I thought I was going to have an heart-attack. My heart was racing that hard I actually had an OMG moment where I found myself covering my mouth
The Book Review Café
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Flowers For the Dead is very different to most of the crime thrillers I have read, mainly because the reader takes a terrifying and Spine-chilling look into the dark and deviant mind of a serial killer. Through alternating chapters we learn of Adams childhood and the terrible events that have shaped him into the serial killer he is today. I felt a wide spectrum of emotions whilst reading about Adam, he is such a complicated character, in parts I felt over whelming sadness for him and yet at ...more
Anne
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's a small number of books that - in my eyes - set the standard for what I expect when I read a thriller. Definitely Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. Most certainly Nearest Thing To Crazy by Elisabeth Forbes. Her by Harriet Lane and Paula Daly's Just What Kind Of Mother Are You? maybe? But Barbara Copperthwaite's Flowers For The Dead more than deserves to be included in that company - I found it mesmerising, terrifying, intriguing, very unsettling, totally compulsive and a ...more
Tracy Shephard
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW Flowers for the Dead is one of the most terrifying novels you will ever read.

Adam Bourne is a troubled man, as a small boy he was abused by his mother and the image conjured by the writing of Barbara Copperthwaite is uncomfortable and disturbing. I felt some empathy for him and if it wasn’t for his beloved gran he might never have felt love or acceptance his whole life.

As a serial killer Adam is one twisted soul. His knowledge of flowers, a subject he learned from his gran plays a brilliant
Pat
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh dear, I'm doing the lone voice thing again. I did not like this book. At all. How cliched is a killer who does what he does because his mummy abused him. Oh but he's such a sensitive soul. Crap - he's a delusional sociopath who thinks his victims should be grateful because he sneaks into their homes and does all this nice stuff for them and then wonders why they freak out when a strange man (the weirdo stalker) appears in their homes instead of saying "oh, finally you're here my love, thank ...more
Joanne
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When the author of Flowers for the Dead asked if I would like to read and review her book I said as long as it's not too gruesome! I like crime and psychological thrillers but I don't do gruesome. Well, it is true that the ritual which serial killer Adam performs after he's killed his victims did make me shudder, but this book is really gripping and the dark aspects didn't put me off. Flowers for the Dead tells the story of Adam who, as I mentioned, is a serial killer and his obsession with ...more
Susan Hampson
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! What a brilliant all round novel this is, that is made of grizzly fairy tales, cruelty, tragedy and obsession. I have to say at this point that I could have fallen for physcho Adam's charms myself. He was a real take your breath away romantic sort of guy, in more ways than one.
There is a lot happening in this novel but Barbara Copperthwaite filters the story out a bit at a time, allowing you to connect with every character in the story. The core characters build as they go back and forth
Amanda
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a gripping book I couldn't put it down!! Looking forward to reading her next book.
Neats
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what goes on in the mind of a serial killer?

If you've answered yes to the above question then Flowers for the Dead is just the book for you.

Right from the start you know that Adam Bourne is a serial killer and that he will kill again but what you don't know is why. What has made this seemingly quiet and unassuming man stalk innocent women and then go on to kill them?

After recently killing his latest victim, Adam is looking for her replacement when he spots Laura at one of
Alison Gray
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a story told from several viewpoints - a stalker, the person being stalked and the policeman who rumbles the stalker. It's cleverly done with stories interwoven from the past leading to the present and to the denouement. There's also a lot of emphasis on flowers and their meanings. It took me a little while to get into but once I did, I got caught up in the story.
Janet
A good start but perhaps a bit too long. Got a bit repetitive. A fuller review to follow.
Beth
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
wow wow wow ! Anyone who hasn't read this needs too. I had the pleasure of meeting Barbara and not only is she a lovely person, her writing is top class !!
Georgia Rose
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laura is the sole survivor of a car crash that wiped out her entire family. Adam the only child of a horrifically abusive mother and uninvolved father. He was however loved by his gran who read him fairy stories and taught him all about the language of flowers.

Despite several false starts in his love life when Adam spots Laura he falls desperately in love with her knowing her to be ‘the one’ and in so many ways he is the perfect boyfriend. He cooks, cleans and looks after her. Making sure she
Mark Tilbury
I really like finding an antagonist in a book that I can get to know as I read. Adam has had a troubled young life and cared for only by his Gran. Both the negative and positive aspects of his childhood have an impact on his adult life, and the women he falls in love with.

Adam is up there with Joe from You and Junior Cain from From the Corner of His Eye. Original, thought provoking and really interesting in a dark and macabre way.

I thought the way each chapter was titled with a type of flower
Sumon
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well-crafted piece, where you get to know the psyche of a serial killer. And this is probably one of those rare novels, which will make you feel for the villain. Relatable characters, gripping plots make it an unputdownable.
Emma
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a stonking read and if you haven't read it, why haven't you read it?? You really are missing out! It's a clever book as it made me feel things I didn't necessarily want to feel, such as a fondness for a warped and twisted serial killer. There aren't many fictional psychopaths who prompt that kind of emotion in readers. There aren't many fictional psychopaths like Adam...

Adam Bourne is looking for love. His approach to finding the lady of his dreams differs to his peers though. Rather
Alexina
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a story, I have just finished this book. Reading it in a day and a half, I just couldn't stop reading it.

Barbara has written a fairytale crime novel at it's best. It is chilling, creepy and downright sadistic. However within this is woven so many tales.

Adam's history of how he turned to his beloved Grandmother for salvation and in her own way how she nurtured the beast inside him.

Adam is a quiet boy, we meet him at four years old, the chapters alternate between his growing up and who he has
Abigail Osborne
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Ever since I read ‘Invisible’ I have been unashamedly excited and enthralled by Barbara Copperthwaite’s writing. I thought the plot and the way she makes you consider things about crime that you wouldn’t normally is fantastically original. I didn’t read Flowers for the Dead straight away because I wanted to pace myself and for Barbara to have another book on the horizon!

Well, this book was worth the wait. I was expecting great things, and I was not disappointed. This book tells it’s story from
Julie
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A gripping read! very well thought out, with significant attention to detail.
This story grabs you at the onset, each page takes you deeper into the depths of the mind of a stalker-come-serial-killer, and what leads a person to commit atrocious acts. I enjoyed the pace of 'Flowers for the dead', written with accuracy and sensitivity, it incited a multitude of feelings for the 'bad guy', including fear, anger, sympathy, and pity. The characterisation adds to the depth of this story, making the
Federica
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from THE Book Club in exchange of an honest review.
Wow that was creepy! I really enjoyed this book, the first I've read from this author and surely not the last. My actual rating would be 4.5, I couldn't give it 5 because I've been reading this book while my husband was away for work and I was home alone with my baby... I was freaking out! The first night alone after I read for hours, I got spooked out by my shower curtain, just to give you an idea! LOL
It's a
Di Stirling-Chow
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on the serial killer genre – a chance to understand and even empathise with Adam. I can’t say I liked him – I don’t think we were meant to go quite that far - after all he’s a serial killer! But there were moments when I felt for him. Understanding the twisted logic behind the murders doesn’t usually bring empathy in books about women being killed but this one came very close. For a different take on the genre give this one a whirl!
Audrey Gibson
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG, I highly recommend you read this book, its brilliant. I really can't believe I feel sorry for a psychopath and serial killer. I wonder if Adam's life would have been different if he had a 'normal' upbringing, or are they born this way. Getting into the mind of a serial killer was fascinating, creepy and very unsettling. A huge 5 stars from me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Valentina
  • Hôtel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • Deserve To Die
  • The Family Lie
  • Little Liar
  • In Her Footsteps
  • The Regret
What people say about Barbara's books:

"Will have you looking over your shoulder and under your bed... Original, gripping, with a deep psychological impact," Sunday Mirror
"Enthralling, tense and moving," Real People magazine
"Totally gripping, and scarily believable," Bella magazine

Barbara is the Amazon and USA Today bestselling author of psychological thrillers INVISIBLE, FLOWERS FOR THE DEAD,