Start by marking “The Dead Room” as Want to Read:
The Dead Room

The Dead Room (Harrison Investigation #4)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  3,380 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
She talks to dead people...

A year ago, archaeologist Leslie MacIntyre barely survived an explosion that took the life of her fiancé, Matt Connolly. Since then she's slowly come to terms with both her loss and an unsettling ability to communicate with ghosts, a "gift" received in the wake of her brush with death.

Now she's returned to lower Manhattan, site of the explosion,
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published February 19th 2008 by MIRA (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Room

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Review of Audio CDs

3 'intriguing, thrilling story, and restless spirits' stars!

If you enjoy ghostly whodunits, you should give this one a go. It’s a great story with a twisted ending I never saw coming, one that might or might not be a hit with some hardcore traditionalist romance readers.(No, there's no cheating... )

The audio was okay, but only okay. I had a hard time following the story because the author's narrative voice didn't give enough distinction to which characters were speaking. Also
Vanessa
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hb, mystery-thriller
I was having a little difficulty deciding on 3 or 4 stars for this book. I leaned towards the four because, for me it was an easy and fast read. Once I reached the middle of the book, I finished the rest in almost one sitting, and the whole book in a 24 hour period. It kept my interest and I like the ghost/psychic angle.

I also liked Joe, Leslie, Nikki, and Adam. I did care what happened to them and for me, the action moved pretty fast. I wish Adam and Nikki would have been developed more and ha
Susan
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2011
Spooky cellars, ghosts, a historic house, handsome hero and exciting ending. This story had these elements and more. A good way to spend reading time.

However, just a few minor things bothered my enjoyment...may contain spoilers...Leslie kept wanting to see her dead boyfriend Matt. Almost every other page she would feel a presence and think it was him. Finally, when she did talk with him, she chose to ignore his warnings. How stupid can you be? And she constantly walked into danger.

The other pro
Kathi
In this book we meet Leslie, an urban archaeologist who lost her fiancem Matt, in an explosion and is now going NYC to face that loss by working at a dig site and living in building where the explosion happened. Also in that area, woman, mostly prostitutes are disappearing.

Leslie meets her Matt's cousin, Joe, who is investigating the disappearance of one young woman. Together, they team up to keep Leslie safe and solve the mystery..including the mystery of whether the explosion that killed Matt
Jaime
I have sort of mixed feelings about this book. It started out shaky for me — the first time Leslie sat in a room and had a conversation with a ghost, I couldn’t stop myself from rolling my eyes — but eventually it grew on me. Since I have no problem reading books with vampires and werewolves and witches, it’s a little strange to me that I would have that reaction about ghosts, but I think it’s because those other types of characters can interact with everyone, and not just select people. Regardl ...more
Vina Girl
I was really disappointed at the end because the book builds up to Leslie and Joe becoming a couple after Matt's death and then she died! I was glad she and Matt ended up together, but very sad for Joe. Seemed so unfair!!!
Netha
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
very sad ending
Leslie survived from the explosion but not her fiance Since then she's slowly come to terms with both her loss and an unsettling ability to communicate with ghosts, a "gift" received in the wake of her brush with death.
Pamela
This is a new author for me, but I was not disappointed. I enjoyed this book. Leslie, a renouned archaeologist, and Matt a brilliant journalist begin the book together. After what appears to be an accident Matt is killed, and Leslie left to recover. Over a year has passed and she and her team return to NY city, where her life so drastically changed in one night. Leslie can see the dead, and speak to them. She also has a knack for finding the dead, which makes her digs a big success. She has been ...more
Jane (PS)
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Nice little mystery with a relatively unexpected ending. (I'm not referring to who the 'bad-man' was either.) The romance was very light on - don't read it expecting any... (view spoiler)

Audiobook: Narrated by Joyce Bean (4 stars)
Again our narrator did not disappoint me. She did a good job of separating out the characters, smoothly verbalising the story.
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
Another winnner by Heather Graham. I did not see the end of this one coming at all. (I make a habit of not looking ahead to read the synopsis of series books so I don't get a spoiler). Great mystery/ghost story. There is a HEA but it's not the one I was expecting as I read the book. I don't want to say anymore and give the plot away.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I like this series with the Harrison supernatural investigation group. However, the stories don't really pull me in and stay in my memory. For example, this one, I know I read it but I can't remember much of the details. So it's just average.
Michelegg
This book was kind of slow. But other than that it was enjoyable.
Sandy
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. When I finished the last book of this series I really question why I keep reading them. I did pick up this book and I will have to say that I am impressed with the way this book ended. I never thought the author would write an ending like that after reading many of her other books. Darn, now I guess I'm going to have to read more.
Davia
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting!

I really enjoyed this book. I have enjoyed others more. The ghosts in this book were not as involved or mysterious as rhe other books but the end was really good and unexpected yet perfect.
Am
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reread
It's been a good while since I read this and I forgot how Graham ripped my heart out at the end.
Andy2302
This was only good enough to keep me reading but not so good I looked forward to reading more.
Gave it a reluctant 3 stars where 2.7 would have been more fitting.
Amber
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was not what I've come to expect from Graham while being a very Graham book. Bittersweet.
Margaret
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not very happy with the ending of this book, but I won't tell why because that would spoil the ending for anyone else that wants to read it. Besides the ending I loved the book, it kept my interest all the way thru and would definitely recommend it to anyone that loves this style of book.
Pam
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audio
Pam Carr I hadn't read this author before this week but I have now listened to 4 books of her's in a row. Although I like her writing style and the plots of her books I wonder why she makes the main female characters in all of the 4 I have read so UNBELIEVABLY STUPID. This one was particularly a moron. Even though there have been MULTIPLE attempts on her life she continues to go off on her own to dangerous places. The hero continually cautions her to not to do so but does she listen...nope and e ...more
Kem
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are parts I liked. I liked the characters and parts of the plot. The ending ruined it all. Not good closure for me. And no part of the ending or post ending did we read any comments from Harrison. I thought they were going to help keep our Heroin alive. They were useless. Not a good addition to this series for me.
Jill
I didn't realize this was part of a series. But, it can be read on its own. Leslie can talk to ghosts, but the one she really wants to talk to is her lover, killed in an explosion a year ago. Graham takes a serious risk in the ending--one I certainly didn't expect--and this may be why it's not been popular at my branch. I'm ready to read the other books in the series, though.
Marianne Jay
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Heather Graham you get it all. Love scenes, mystery, paranormal. You get great characters, good plots and s surprise ending.
Rinah Mae
I really enjoy this book..
Leslie is one of an archaeologist and Matt (her fiance) is a very good journalist. and they started to write a book together. Matt was killed, because of that Leslie decided to left for her to recover. aftrer a years she return to New York City. Leslie can see dead people and she can speak to them. She meets Matt's cousin "Joe" Joe is a Private Investigator.
Leslie wants to see her Boyfriend Matt even if it is dead. Fear of serial killer. Matt was tracking down in repor
Maura
Danielle
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is weird. It's kind of a cross between the ghost whisperer and Indiana Jones. I enjoyed it on several levels, but it took me a while to get into. I'm wondering, is this a series? I guess I'll have to look that up. Anyway, Heather Graham never fails to amuse.
Dharia Scarab
Warning, spoilers included.

So after reading the Krewe of Hunters books, I finally got around to reading this book and suddenly remembered why I'd stopped after the first three.

Unlike the Krewe books, this series always has the main characters acting like morons and putting themselves in danger. Leslie was practically begging the killer to get her with her stupidity through out the book.

And the ending, well it was seriously messed up. I suppose it should have been expected, since this is a parano
BookNerdette
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Laurie
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heather-graham
The first word that comes to mind when describing this book is average. I wanted to read The Death Dealer per a friend recommendation and realized that it was the sequel to The Dead Room. For me, that meant The Dead Room had to come first. The book tells the tale of a female archaeologist named Leslie who recently lost her fiance and afterwards became able to communicate with the dead. Due to this ability, Leslie becomes swept into the investigation of a series of disappearances which she believ ...more
Jo
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Gina
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
UNPUTDOWNABLE!!!

I had a major hard time putting down this book. Last night, after my hubby went to bed, I was somewhere between halfway and 2/3's of the way through the book. Every time I purposely put it down so that I could go to bed, knowing I was getting up early with 5 kids to watch, my mind 'objected' and I had no choice but to pick it back up. Going to bed not knowing what was going to happen bugged the daylights out of me!

It was great! I thought the plot was good, small events leading to
  • The Awakening (Alliance Vampires #5)
  • Slow Burn
  • The Summit (Paranormal Series II, #2)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #10)
  • Stop Me (The Last Stand, #2)
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Dreams
  • Out of Mind (Court of Angels, #2)
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...

Harrison Investigation (8 books)
  • Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • The Vision (Harrison Investigation, #3)
  • The Seance (Harrison Investigation, #5)
  • The Death Dealer (Harrison Investigation, #6)
  • Unhallowed Ground (Harrison Investigation, #7)
  • Nightwalker (Harrison Investigation, #8)
“Sometimes, when the sun is shining, it's daytime,"Robert snapped.
"And sometimes, when it's dark, it's because there's an eclispe,"Leslie snapped back.”
3 likes
“the greatest agony on earth didn’t lie in the pain of living or the pain of death, but in the pain of separation that haunted the heart and soul?” 0 likes