Start by marking “Trick or Sweet (Holidays With Jane, #3)” as Want to Read:
Trick or Sweet (Holidays With Jane, #3)

Trick or Sweet

(Holidays With Jane #3)

Load up on pumpkin spice, grab your bowl of candy, and settle in for a spooky night with six brand-new modern Jane Austen adaptations from the authors of Holidays with Jane: Christmas Cheer and Spring Fever!

Must Be Magic
by Kimberly Truesdale
Published September 18th 2015 by Indie Jane Press

To ask other readers questions about Trick or Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trick or Sweet

Start your review of Trick or Sweet (Holidays With Jane, #3)
J. W. Garrett
“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is book 3 in the Holidays with Jane series. Our cadre of JAFF [Jane Austen Fan Fiction] authors has given us a wickedly cute and creative modern reimagining of Austen’s classic stories. Each is season themed for Halloween and Fall. These are clean stories; however, several do have a bit of magic thrown in for flavor. There is nothing dark or dangerous… just a bit of fun.

1) Holidays with Jane: by
Kirk
While I should have waited in October to read this collection, I really enjoyed it. I don't do "scary", but the most "scary" in the collection was the most riveting. All the stories were interesting. I look forward to the next collection!
Angela
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holidays with Jane: Trick or Sweet is the third Austen inspired, holiday themed anthology released by Indie Jane Press. Authors Kimberly Truesdale, Rebecca M. Fleming, Jennifer Becton, Melissa Buell, Jessica Grey, and Cecilia Gray offers up clever, heartfelt twists on each of Austen's six main books.

Truesday's magical twist on Persuasions 'Must Be Magic' features a strong and sensible Anne who isn't swayed by her aunt's opinion but makes a difficult choice based on her desire to grow and explor
Sophia
Tis that time of the year when I search out fall-themed reading and was pleased to have this treat of an anthology to hand. Fun modern Austen novel retellings for each novel by a variety of authors with a Halloween theme woven into them.

Must Be Magic by Kimberly Tisdale
A Persuasion retelling with a surprising magical twist for Anne and a dark enemy in the shadows as she has a reunion full of regret with Fareed, the man she loved and rejected.

Once Upon a Story by Rebecca Fleming
Engaging Northange
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Fall Into the Season with Festive Austenesque Stories

If you haven’t heard of Holidays with Jane, it is an anthology series of Austen-inspired holiday-themed short stories. There are six stories in each anthology (one for each Jane Austen novel) and each story takes place in present-day. The lovely ladies who collaborate on these anthologies have published four anthologies so far (Christmas Cheer, Spring Fever, Trick or Sweet, Summer of Love) and have a new one scheduled to release soon – Thankfu
Maria
Get ready for another emotional journey that will lead you to a wonderful world devoted to Jane Austen! Once again these six extraordinary authors gave us Janeites a gift and penned a lovely collection of short stories (this time inspired by Halloween) not to be missed!

Must be Magic - Kimberly Truesdale

Anne Elliot is not safe. Although she is a witch and has supernatural powers to protect herself, she cannot do anything against a dangerous threat that has arrived in her neighbourhood and is det
Ela
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing the stories separately and my notes may contain spoilers:

Must Be Magic (a "Persuasion" story by Kimberly Truesdale)
3,5/5 stars
Quite suspenseful take on Persuasion that works extremely well with magic thrown into it. Pity we didn't witness more conversations between the main couple and the revelation letter was in fact (view spoiler). Still a nice story.

Once Upon a Story (a "Northanger Abbey" story by Rebecca M. Fleming)
4/5 stars
I
Sheila Majczan
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

Each of these stories took one of Jane Austen's book and made it into a modern October/Halloween tale. And it was very pleasing to read how the authors worked together to include similar elements in each, i.e., Mansfield Perk.

While it is difficult to give a rating to a book in which there are five short stories, I do believe this one rates right up there. I won't reveal which one was my most or least favorite but I will say that last one with a "Mr. Darcy" in a wet T-shirt had me laughi
Jessica
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holidays with Jane: Trick or Sweet is yet another terrific installment in the Jane Austen-inspired series of holiday-related short stories by these brilliant women. Each story has its own take on one of Austen's novels and is updated to reflect modern times. The short stories all have an autumnal or Halloween inspired plot or backdrop and they all work remarkably well.
Some points are a bit spooky, some are romantic and there are several points that are laugh-out-loud funny, but all are terrific.
victoria_tonks
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of great stories in this one, and now I am sad I only have one more book left to go. I enjoyed almost all of them hugely, but my favourites are Insensible (I loved this one, even though the idea of who caused the main trouble for Marianne was rather outlandish), Mansfield Unmasked (a delightful Austen/Shakespeare combination, incredibly inventive, very funny and touching at the same time, and I adored the idea of how 'Edmund' proved his love to 'Fanny', plus now I want to re-read the play ...more
Anna
Oct 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Holidays with Jane: Trick or Sweet is a collection of six Halloween-themed stories based on each of Jane Austen’s novels.

“Must Be Magic” by Kimberly Truesdale (based on Persuasion)

Anne Elliot is still learning how to control her powers — the powers that cost her the love of Fareed Walia eight years ago when she turned down an offer from him in order to find herself — when her family is forced to sell Kellynch House. Fareed comes back into her life at the same time as a dark figure from Anne’s pa
Noel
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I want more!
QNPoohBear
A nice collection if contemporary stories inspired by Jane Austen's 6 major novels. While the references are to Austen's novels and characters, the stories can be enjoyed on their own. They might even be better that way to stop the eye rolling I kept doing whenever I read "Mansfield Perk" and the names of the estates/villages/characters reworked into contemporary American terms.

I skipped the first story because it sounded like a bit too much of a dark fantasy for me and that is unfortunate beca
Rebecca
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yet another wonderful writing adventure -- and I think this may be my favorite collection of stories. I write with some *amazingly* talented ladies, y'all! So much fun!
Jess Swann
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
On reprend une fois de plus les mêmes et on recommence de nouvelles versions contemporaines spéciales Halloween, comme d'habitude je vais commenter les histoires une par une

* Must Be Magic de Kimberly Truesdale : Eight years ago Anne Elliot made a devastating choice. When a new threat and an old love both come into her life, she faces that choice again. This time will it be love or will it be magic?

Et si Anne Elliot était une sorcière ? (enfin une gentille sorcière) voilà le point de départ de c
Louisa
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favorite...but Halloween/October are my least favorite holiday/season. So not a big surprise that I didn't really love any of the stories.
Susan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: austenesque
Six new modern variation of Jane Austen's work. An intersting enough selection that kept me reading all the stories.
Carmen8094
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trick or Sweet è una simpatica raccolta di racconti ispirati ai romanzi di Jane Austen, ma in puro stile Halloween!

- Must be magic, di Kimberly Truesdale, è la novella basata su Persuasione. Era quella che mi incuriosiva di più, ma purtroppo si è rivelata invece la più noiosa. Tanto di cappello all'autrice per aver re-immaginato e riscritto tutta la storia, ma né una Anne dotata di poteri, né un segreto in pericolo custodito nella vecchia casa di famiglia sono bastati ad accendere la magia. 3/5

Suze JA
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved these story so much fun to read!!
Queenberly
Final feeling: my favorite story was by Cecilia Gray, tho I could have done without the epilogue
Nov 30, 2017
Oct 02, 2016
r gregory leonard
Nov 12, 2015
Melissa Buell
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites

• A Very Austen Christmas (Book 1)
  • Understanding Elizabeth
  • Disruption at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Dropping Kisses: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Dear Diary, I Have a Mate
  • Technically, You Started It
  • The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • Shopaholic to the Rescue (Shopaholic, #8)
  • Careful What You Wish For
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • With This Ring (Windswept Bay, #6)
  • Eggsistential Thoughts by Gudetama the Lazy Egg
  • Flirting with the Personal Trainer: A Sweet Romance (Love at the Gym Book 1)
  • The Wedding Charm (The Wedding Whisperer, #1)
  • The Crayons' Christmas
  • Meet Me There (Ridgewater High, #1)
  • The Honorable Mr. Darcy (Meryton Mystery #1)
  • Lady Crenshaw's Christmas (Miss Delacourt #3)
I’m a full-time storyteller and sometime teacher who grew up on classic literature and always wanted to live at Green Gables. My interests are extremely wide; current projects include writing about early America, my home state of Florida, and a family murder mystery.

Follow me on Facebook at Kimberly Truesdale.

Holidays With Jane (6 books)
  • Christmas Cheer (Holidays With Jane #1)
  • Spring Fever (Holidays With Jane #2)
  • Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4)
  • Holidays with Jane: Thankful Hearts (Holidays With Jane, #5)
  • Holidays with Jane: Will You Be Mine? (Holidays with Jane, #6)

News & Interviews