Start by marking “Local Girl Swept Away” as Want to Read:
Local Girl Swept Away

Local Girl Swept Away

Stark, uncompromising, seductive, beautiful - this describes the tourist town of Cape Cod, where a young woman's body remains to be found. Three friends struggle to come to terms with their missing leader and with the secrets each endeavor to hide.

Set in the Cape Cod village of Provincetown, Massachusetts, this is the story about 17-year-old Jackie's struggle to overcome
Published June 15th 2016 by Simon Pulse

Rissa
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Four best friends
One terrible accident
Then she was swept away.
With their friend missing everyone is divided and puts a strain on the remamining friends.

It was easy and light and I wanted deeper drama and action. More mysteries.
Vanessa
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a really good mystery / thriller. A girl is swept out to sea when she slips off the breakwater in a storm. All of her friends see it happen. One tries to save her and fails. Of course, not everything is as it seems. The friends struggle with their grief and guilt in different ways. And then the secrets start to be revealed. There is a lot more going on in this small town on the Cape (it's P-town, but it seems small to the locals). The biggest secret of all is the one you least expect an ...more
Marta's
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ORIGINAL REVIEW AND GIVEAWAY POSTED AT www.martasbookshelf.blogspot.com

When I went to the post office to pick up a package I had no idea what contained, I did not know I would end up loving it so much. Local Girl Swept Away was sent to me in exchange for an honest review on my blog, so I want to thank the amazing people over at Merit Press for gifting me with such a beautiful and emotional story.

After Lorna's accident, we follow our main character, Jackie, through her grief, fighting off her own
Maria
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars.

I received this book curtesy of MeritPress.

"I was a kind of tourist, looking for the remains of my life, taking photos of what we left behind".

Without a doubt Ellen Wittlinger is a talented writer; she is able to manipulate words to capture a lot of beauty. I appreciate that.

And the way she describes Provincetown - Wittlinger is a true master when it comes to setting! Her descriptions made the place so authentic, so real. Perhaps it is because I live in a costal town in Massachusetts
Karen Barber
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Jackie, Lucas and Finn are on the breakwater when their friend, Lorna, is swept away. Her body is never found and the repercussions for the three teenagers are evident.
Life goes on, but those left behind slowly learn more about themselves and their shared relationship. There are a lot of complications, and some unexpected moments.
Jackie, Finn and Lucas all seem very naive. As the novel progresses they develop in confidence, and slowly come to terms with how their lives have changed.
The character
Elisquared
This book was beautiful, an examination of the power people can wield over others and how one event can thoroughly rock the reality of a friendship. Set in the beautiful wilds of Provincetown, the sea and art are just as much characters in this story as the humans. Wittlinger once again crafts a lyrical and real contemporary novel.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Aug 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was so disappointing. Maybe it's because I've lost a friend to the ocean and expected some emotional impact from this but Local Girl Swept Away just didn't deliver. Instead, it was completely predictable with characters who were just naive as hell.
joyce g
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
A wonderful book full of life both good and bad. YA.
Sylvia Flowers
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good beginning but began to feel forced (esp the dialogue) when the character of Char was introduced. The thought of a 17 year old making out with a 30-year old should have raised the ick factor more.
Patti
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Not to give anything away, but I was disappointed at the ending. I know not everything can end happily but this ending made me really sad for some reason.
Mel Raschke
Intense novel, that Jackie has to travel through loss and disillusionment to make sense of her own future.
Natalie
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks to MeritPress for providing me a copy of this book.
I like this book. It was set in Provincetown, and it felt real. The tourists, the weather, and the people all felt authentic. The author is from Massachusetts, so it makes sense that she was able to write about it so well.
The characters were an emotional roller coaster. Over the course of the book the way you see them changes completely. Details are revealed about them, and as secrets come to light everything you feel about them changes.
Marcia
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
The opening grabs you, as a young woman is washed out to sea. The setting is great, Provincetown, a favorite summer stop. But then it just rambled on as the friends are left in the aftermath of Lorna's disappearance. I didn't enjoy the narration too much. I listened half way through and didn't care enough about the characters to stick around and find out what happened. Other books are waiting.
Lucy ♡
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I change my mind. After reading tell me three things this book is trash. Still okay though kskskskksks
Andi Rahmat
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
When i hit the water, I'd swim for my life
Gayle Slagle
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Local Girl Swept Away by Ellen WIilinger is a YA book which tells the compelling story of four teens who have been close friends since childhood. Lorna, Finn, Lucas, and Jackie have been steadfast friends through both good and bad times, but when Lorna, who is basically the heart of the group is swept out to sea by a storm, the remaining three friends drift apart and a chasm develops between them. Can their friendship survive without the vivacious Lorna? The story it told from the prospective of ...more
Morgan Cahill
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5🌊
This book was so much better than expected! When I read the back, I was concerned because it seemed to just be a romance novel, but I was pleasantly surprised! While there was romance, it wasn't one of those "she loves him, he loves another, then he realizes the love of his life was in front of him the entire time" books, but there was not only romance, but also betrayal and some twists. Wittlinger foreshadows most of his plot twists so you can guess, but the reader can never be sure. There
Faith
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lorna, a charismatic leader of a group of friends, falls into the sea and disappears. Her boyfriend can't seem to get over it, but Jackie, her best friend, eventually renews an old friendship and pursues her interest in art and photography. When the other member of their group, Lucas, returns after a summer at camp with a shocking revelation and Jackie's renewed friend, Charlotte, reminds Lorna of how she was dropped, the other friends check all their memories of Lorna. Who was Lorna? Was she ju ...more
Amber
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The main characters in this book are teenagers, but I am not sure if that makes it "officially" a YA book. I didn't think so (or I'm rationalizing because I'm trying to avoid YA fiction). The characters were so well written and complex. The relationships were pretty nuanced even by adult fiction standards. Reading as an adult you can definitely see where much of the book is going ("that won't end well") but it was still a wonderful read.
Ellie
Mr. Wakiki
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yarp Group
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
High School Level due to content. When someone in your group that has dominated it when they are alive can they still do it after they are dead?
Eliza-May Durdin
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Wonderful Story, Lots of twists and turns by far one of my favourites
Alexandra Maffett
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story... It seemed like they dragged it out at times but it made sense in the end.
Emily
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me mind blown loved every twist and turn
Dawn Ferencz
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the first half of the book, but the revelations of the second half undid that for me.
Lorraine McCullough
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Local Girl Swept Away was an interesting read with a great ending. I loved that the setting was just as much as part of the plot as the four characters. It made me want to visit Cape Cod. Lorna has been swept away at sea one night while walking on the beach with friends. The novel immediately begins with this action, and then the four friends mourn her loss and sort through their grief. Jackie, Lorna's best friend, never enjoyed the spotlight and was always comfortable taking the friend and back ...more
Beccanox
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I love EW, but this one seemed a little predictable and pat.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Local Girl Swept Away by Ellen Wittlinger is a captivating young adult novel about a group of teenagers trying to cope with the loss of a beloved friend.

Best friends since the fourth grade, Jackie Silva, Lucas Baskin-Snow and Finn Rudolph are devastated when Lorna Trovato is swept out to sea during a storm. In the aftermath of her disappearance, Jackie and Finn console one another while Lucas avoids them then leaves town for the summer. Although deeply saddened by Lorna’s death, Jackie
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • This Is the Story of You
  • Girl Coming in for a Landing
  • The Other F-Word
  • Watch You Burn
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • The Girl Who Owned a City: The Graphic Novel
  • Emiko Superstar
  • My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
  • Sanity & Tallulah
Ellen Wittlinger is the critically acclaimed author of 15 young adult novels including Parrotfish, Heart on My Sleeve, Love & Lies: Marisol's Story, Razzle, What's in a Name, and Hard Love (an American Library Association Michael L. Printz Honor Book, a Lambda Literary Award winner, and a Booklist Editors' Choice). She has a bachelor's degree from Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois, and ...more