Start by marking “Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus” as Want to Read:
Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus

Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus

(9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)

What does it look like to help others become more like Christ?

In this concise guide, pastor Mark Dever outlines the who, what, where, when, why, and how of discipling--helping others follow Jesus.

Following the pattern found in Scripture, this book explains how disciple-making relationships should function in the context of the local church, teaching us how to cultivate a c
Published April 28th 2016 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Discipling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discipling

Start your review of Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
John Waldrip
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A most practical and readable book about an essential Christian (and may I say Baptist) practice that is woefully neglected. How can one be an obedient Christian without immersion in the practice and art of discipleship? I don't think you can be. Dever's book is divided into three parts, with the first part that is titled "What Is Discipling?" being a very good piece of persuasion that every gospel minister and Christian should take to heart. The second part, "Where Should We Disciple?", does a ...more
Hannah
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mark Dever does an phenomenal job of explaining how discipling fits into the life of every Christian as well as giving practical application for living it out. This is definitely a book that will point you in the right direction to help you encourage and build up your fellow Christians and church members.
Hopson
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic little book on discipling by Mark Dever. This book is short, clear, and wonderfully practical. For anyone who is looking to make a start in personally obeying the Great Commission, this is an excellent resource. One of the most helpful sections was Dever's practical advice on knowing who to get started with. Highly recommend this one!
Peter Krol
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A helpful basic understanding of discipleship, but could have used more scriptural underpinnings to drive its points home.
Bill
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
Fundamental stuff. The local church centric approach was a helpful complement to the parachurch oriented discipling material so many of us have been trained in.
Jason Harrison
Simple and clear. “[Discipleship] is about doing life together with other people as you all journey toward Christ” (86).
Micah Lugg
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a great primer on the what/why/how of discipling in the church. Dever provides the biblical support for the call for every Christian to help others follow Jesus. He also provides helpful examples of what this kind of relationships looks like. He understands the diversity of personalities and giftings in the church and thus his instruction is not a one-size-fits all approach.

I also appreciated how he places the work of discipling within the context of a local church. Much the discip
Chuck Shorter
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great, Little Book.
Although 5”x7”dimensionally & 113 pages in length, this book contains a depth of practical information about establishing a culture of discipleship in a local Church.

What I found most excellent:
- Centers around the local Church ministry
- Makes references other books which I will be adding to my list
- Very practical, immediate action, types of application
- Provoking!! Am I doing “deliberate spiritual good” in the lives of others?

This is one book in a series of 9. I’ll have t
Dkovlak
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book on discipling. There are a number of good lists to be followed when beginning a discipling arrangement and carrying out a discipling arrangement.

This book would make an excellent group study. It would help each of us fulfill the great commission: (Matthew 28:19).

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, - Matthew 28:19

THIS IS A COMMAND BY GOD, NOT A SUGGESTION!
Matt Tyler
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Almost any book that is short, biblical, practical, and helpful is going to get four or more stars from me-- not because I don't want to read longer books, but because I know I can give them away so easily and people will actually read it. This book meets each of those qualifications!
David Chung
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A brisk read that should help Christians understand, and perhaps recover, the "plainness" of discipling one another. According to Dever, "Discipling others now is how I try to leave time-bombs of grace." And as good as the book is, the conclusion by Leeman might have been my favorite part.
Justin Heck
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discipleship
This is the best book on discipling I've read. Concise, practical, and inspiring.
Reed Schafer
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“What a joy to be used by God to disciple others! Why would you not spend your life doing this?”
-Mark Dever

I loved this book. That’s my review.
Samuel Kassing
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is another excellent addition to this little series of 9Marks books.

Dever does a good job of making discipleship practical and encouraging the body of Christ to take up this task.

I only have one qualm with the book. I wish Dever wouldn't have taken a pot shot at parachurch ministries. He shot was based on a false-dichotomy and goes against his own advice in the book.

I'd highly encourage people to pick up this book and pass it out. It's a great place to start the discipling-others-convers
Brian Pate
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: discipleship
This is a good book, but I didn't feel like it fleshed out the life-on-life investment that is characteristic of Dever. Part 1 (what is discipling?) was good. Part 2 was mostly about ecclesiology and, though good material, was not directly related to discipleship.

I read this as I prepared to teach on discipleship to our church in Brazil in December 2019.
Andrea
This short, practical book gives a great overview of discipling (why and how we do it).

It's broken up in very brief chapters and follows a natural progression from what discipling is, to where and how it should be done. It includes common objections, what to look for in who to disciple, how to raise up and equip leaders who will model discipleship and also an appendix of books to use in discipling relationships.

I loved the working definition of discipling used in this book: deliberately doing
Eric Durso
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simple, clear. Great resource to give away.
Jimmy
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Christians, have you realized that the Great commission from Jesus requires you to disciples others? How are you doing with this task? If you realize that command is for you and that making disciples of others is the most important thing you ever would do in light of eternity you would see it as a great responsibility and privilege to be discipling others. Yet how do you go about making disciples? This book is helpful in answering that questions. It was definitely helpful for me and wife to read ...more
Scquest
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Point: Discipling, the act of dedicating one’s life to helping others follow Jesus, is essential and possible for every individual follow Jesus Christ.

Path: Dever divides his short book into three sections, answer the questions What?, Why?, and How?.

Sources: This book, as pretty much every other from the series, is biblical teaching supporting personal examples.

Agreement: I really appreciated this short overview to what every believer should be praying about and pursuing. It is accessible, bibli
Ryan Hawkins
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry
Three stars, not because the content was wrong or said poorly. Rather, it was just kind of dry. He had some good points, but nothing too instructive. Moreover, I think he could’ve gone into detail practically more on certain areas.

Yet, that all being said, 1) I totally agree with the importance of discipleship (and think many churches need to hear more about it), and 2) I realize this is a book for beginning Christians. But still, a little more meat on the bones would’ve been very helpful (and d
Michael
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am part of a 3 year old church plant. We did not have a formal discipleship training or even focus for our members since we planted. As a means to remedy that, we grabbed this book and set up a 4 hour training session. Having done our first session, there will be things we change in the future, but we will continue to use this book, because it was highly received by our members and was incredibly helpful in explaining: What, Where and How to disciple.

The book is fantastic, simplistic, practi
Mitchell Dixon
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Denver gives a great overview on discipleship and how is should influence the church. Specifically whatever local body you are currently a member of. Discipleship is not a luxury but a mandate. It allows the believer to grow in love, humility, godliness, delegating authority, knowledge of the scriptures, and holistic life change.
I would recommend this as a great book to take young disciples through as they grow up in the faith. It will help them recognize what a healthy leader and discipler loo
Mark Donald
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book which clearly and simply unpacks —

1) what is discipling?
2) where should we disciple?
3) how should we disciple?

Dever casts a vision for the church to be making disciples and helping one another to follow Jesus. This little book is incredibly practical and helps the reader (particularly pastors/elders) avoid ditches or pitfalls of discipling/leading.

Highly recommended! I’ll be reading this with church members for many years to come.
Deanna Dreher
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first 2/3 felt kind of old-hat: yes, I understand that discipling is important (that's why I read this book). Only the last third felt like it actually got into some practical ideas for the "how" of discipling. And it was a great last third! I just wish I had known going in that the first chunk was going to be why I should be discipling and being discipled, rather than the "how" I expected based on the subtitle.
David Schultz
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very quick read. Dever gives a basic overview of discipling but I found myself wishing he went a little deeper. BUT I can’t fault him since that’s not really the scope of this book. My favorite part was the last chapter, “Raising Up Leaders.”
Brandi Breezee
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Christian, when you become a member of your local church, you are partly responsible for growing a healthy church, and one way to do so is through discipleship. Dever wrote a short concise book on how to do just that.
Andrew Morgan Perschbacher
Practical and succinct. I appreciate the attention given to the local church.
Chip
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Money. Clear and concise.
Josh
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best book on discipleship I’ve read. I’d give this away to anybody.
Rianna *Hermione* B
There was stuff I knew & stuff I hadn't thought about but don't really care about. I underlined 2 things.
I'm really glad it was a short read, but it was starting to feel long. :/
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• One Assembly: Rethinking the Multisite and Multiservice Church Models
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • The Unsaved Christian: Reaching Cultural Christianity with the Gospel
  • The Gospel-Driven Church: Uniting Church Growth Dreams with the Metrics of Grace
  • How the Nations Rage: Rethinking Faith and Politics in a Divided Age
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Disciplines of a Godly Man
  • Humble Calvinism
  • Call to Spiritual Reformation
  • Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change
Mark Dever serves as the senior pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, DC. Since his ordination to the ministry in 1985, Dr. Dever has served on the pastoral staffs of four churches, the second being a church he planted in Massachusetts. Prior to moving to Washington in 1994, Dr. Dever taught for the faculty of Divinity at Cambridge University while serving two years as an associate ...more

9Marks: Building Healthy Churches (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • Church Discipline: How the Church Protects the Name of Jesus
  • Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus
  • Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word Today
  • Sound Doctrine: How a Church Grows in the Love and Holiness of God
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
  • Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Conversion: How God Creates a People (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Missions: How the Local Church Goes Global
  • Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church (9marks: Building Healthy Churches)

News & Interviews

“Discipling in the gospel means that sometimes you lead the way in confessing weakness or sin. By doing so, you demonstrate what it looks like not to find your justification in yourself, but in Christ. And so you live transparently and honestly.” 2 likes
“Part of being a Christian is recognizing that sin deceives us, and we need other believers to help us see the things we cannot see about ourselves. Joining a church, I’ve often said, is like throwing paint on the invisible man. New sins become visible in the course of our discipling relationships.” 2 likes