Start by marking “Kubernetes: Up & Running” as Want to Read:
Kubernetes: Up & Running

Kubernetes: Up & Running

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  339 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Legend has it that Google deploys over two billion application containers a week. How's that possible? Google revealed the secret through a project called Kubernetes, an open source cluster orchestrator (based on its internal Borg system) that radically simplifies the task of building, deploying, and maintaining scalable distributed systems in the cloud. This practical gui ...more
Published January 31st 2016 by O'Reilly

To ask other readers questions about Kubernetes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kubernetes

Jaseem
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You cannot make a book about 'death by yaml' any more interesting.
Jakub
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really happy that this was first book about k8s that i've read. It's really good introduction into the topic with some background why things are done this way and not the other way round.

I would say its solid 4. I'm giving 5 as this book helped me a lot with understanding what is what and how this all parts work together to create something bigger. If i would not have a need to that knowledge i would go with 4 stars.

That one missing star: The only thing I was missing was 3-4 words dictionar
Sebastian Gebski
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who had any contact with K8s knows that there's no one better qualified to create a book about it than K. Hightower. So when I've started reading I've already new that it will be either good or very good, nothing less. Apparently, I was right - it's a solid 4.5 & it may get even better in a printed version (I've read an unreleased version with all the chapters, but before the final editing, w/o some diagrams, etc.).

Good stuff? It's definitely successful in introducing the reader into
Diego Garcia
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to main kubernetes core concepts.
It's a beginners book but is very easy to read.
Ben
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a review of the "Early Release" edition.

To be concise: the "Early Release" edition contains typos, a few technical errors, and a host of incomplete sections even within the "available" chapters. The total length is about 90 pages and the list price at the time of writing this review was about $40. This may be a good book eventually, but it is far too early, unpolished, and incomplete a draft to be ready for sale even as an "Early Release."

Perhaps when the full edition is available this b
Santiago Coffey
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good technical book about deployment, scaling and management of containerized applications, written by some of the engineers who originally developed Kubernetes at Google. This is a new software architecture paradigm that will change how we build, deploy and maintain services in the cloud and will make virtual machine hosted servers obsolete.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
As promised, this is a nice, quick, bare-bones intro to Kubernetes. You'll deploy some Docker containers in Pods, create Services, work with ReplicaSets, DaemonSets, and StatefulSets, run a few Jobs, and learn how to manage configs, secrets, and deployments. The Kubernetes project is moving so quickly that, just 2 years later, a little bit of the content feels dated, but overall, the book holds up well.
Marko Mudrinić
This book provides great introduction to Kubernetes workflow. It starts with explaining how infrastructure works, followed by common practices, containers and Docker, and then introduces Kubernetes.

The book is not going too deep into technical details, it explains basic concepts, enough for newcomer to easily understand and utilize them.

Almost all examples are cloud-agnostic, allowing you to follow and test them on any cloud provider or on your own infrastructure. There're instructions for setti
J. Pablo
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is great and if you need to go from zero to deploying your application using Docker and Kubernetes, this is the book. I wish I didn't spend any time reading any other books on the matter. When it comes to this book I skimmed a few chapters and sections because they were covering things I learned somewhere else but there was so much material that was in these pages that I didn't know.

For the book they created a Docker image called kuard (located in gcr.io/kuar-demo/kuard-amd64:1) that h
Anton Antonov
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Kubernetes book we've been waiting for.

If you're using Kubernetes, you probably heard of Kelsey Hightower by now and anticipated a book by him. Well, now partnered with O'Reilly - they deliver!

The book follows the standard narrative of the "Up & Running" series - go through different topics by providing the minimum valuable code snippets and then build it all up to one big application that showcases everything learnt so far.

Given Kubernetes history of changes, the book manages to cover t
Sankar
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had high expectations for this books due to the high profiles of the authors. The book is very ordinary. It just introduces what various concepts are (like replicasets, deployments, daemonsets, etc.) at a very beginner level (one per chapter). Nothing is mentioned about how to deploy kubernetes apps in a public cloud, probably, as each of the authors work in different competing companies. Zero information about internals of kubernetes either. The book is neither for beginners nor for advanced ...more
Erik Molnar
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
This is a quick read that gives a good overview of Kubernetes and what it is all about. I have never used it myself, but there is talk about this being the future of automation. Basically Kubernetes allows you to automate containers. Mainly Docker. I don't know Docker yet either, so I probably should have started there. Apparently Google has been using this for 10 years already, so you know it is legit. It was made open source and expanded upon by the open source community. The appendix in here ...more
Maurício Linhares
Straightforward introduction to Kubernetes, covers most of the basics (and is mostly cloud-provider agnostic, did it all on GCP and it was all good) and goes all the way to setting up a stateful application. Includes examples of how to use config maps, services, pods, replica sets, daemon sets and stateful sets, lots of stuff to take on.

Some examples have typos or need updating to the latest version (I did this in a 1.7 cluster on GCP) but it's nothing that drives down the value. Also, if on GCP
Kawai
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: code
A decent overview of Kubernetes, but it's barely more than a compilation & organization of the docs available on the Kubernetes website. If you haven't gone through those docs--or feel they aren't well organized enough to lead you through, start to finish--then this might be a good starting point. After that, I'd suggest you find other books more likely to give you insight into the CI/CD pipeline one might build, or additional best practices for management of large-scale Kubernetes clusters. ...more
Laust
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for building initial Kubernetes vocabulary and figuring out how everything is intended to be used at the conceptual level. Useful to get bearings, but the official documentation is still necessary to expand on all the details.

The final chapter of examples would have been much improved if the examples had been complete rather than bare minimum. By this I mean including deployments, live- and health-checks, and using secrets in complete examples.
Leandro López
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I was expecting much more about this book than what currently has. I understand is still a work in progress and several sections seems missing, but some sentences didn't felt right, the examples were utterly simple or just didn't showed up enough information about what was the author trying to achieve. Still is a good beginner level introduction to Kubernetes, but just that.
Dan Lien
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a solid short introduction to Kubernetes. As the title says, this will get you "Up & Running," but don't expect it to cover day-to-day operation of your Kubernetes cluster.

I mostly recommend this book for someone that's new to Kubernetes, but someone more experienced could probably pick up some new tricks.
Alessandro Pellizzari
A good guide for beginners, but, apart from a quick appendix on how to install Kubernetes on a Raspberry Pi cluster, it assumes you already have access to a cluster without explaining any of the available (commercial) clusters.

I appreciated the chapters on how to configure services needing storage, but I would have liked a deeper analysis.
James Healy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to the terminology, concepts and basic admin commands of kubernetes. Probably a reasonable place to start if you find yourself working with kubernetes, despite it approaching 18 months old in a fast moving field.
Lojza Tran
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kniha dobře vysvětlí od základů, jak pracovat s Kubernetes. Některé příkazy jsou starší a nefungují tak, jak jsou popsané v knize. Také se mi nezamlouvá některé první části v knize, kde autor používá Deployment, ale tento výraz je vysvětlen až v poslední kapitole, takže čtenář netuší, o čem je řeč.
Luca
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
First chapters are very confusing (most concepts are presented without definition). At the end, it's still a good introduction if you know nothing about Kubernetes
ferhat
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018_read
Nice intro for up and running series but left many details out such as in/egress and below than my expectations after seeing talks of the author(s).
Russell
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good explanation of kubernetes with some patterns for deploying services. A great place to start, but it doesn't make you a master or explore a full pipeline for getting applications on kubernetes.
Enkh-Amar
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dropped
If you are not fimiliar with container orchestration, microservice architecture and the following design , this book can you practical uses of kubernetes.
Md. Al-Amin
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the book. A very good starting point for Kubernetes beginner.
Douglas Sellers
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to the high level concepts. Not a tutorial though
Eugene Pirogov
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Devoured this book. It's a really good introduction to kubernetes, I highly recommend it.
Baboune
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very high level. Almost no info about internals. Disappointing.
Oleksandr
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice overview of Kubernetes and some of its features.
Murray Cumming
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
An excellent, practical introduction.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »