Start by marking “Kubernetes: Up & Running” as Want to Read:
Kubernetes: Up & Running

Kubernetes: Up & Running

Legend has it that Google deploys over two billion application containers a week. How's that possible? Google revealed the secret through a project called Kubernetes, an open source cluster orchestrator (based on its internal Borg system) that radically simplifies the task of building, deploying, and maintaining scalable distributed systems in the cloud. This practical gui ...more
Published January 31st 2016 by O'Reilly

To ask other readers questions about Kubernetes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kubernetes

Start your review of Kubernetes: Up & Running
Jaseem
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You cannot make a book about 'death by yaml' any more interesting.
Sebastian Gebski
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who had any contact with K8s knows that there's no one better qualified to create a book about it than K. Hightower. So when I've started reading I've already new that it will be either good or very good, nothing less. Apparently, I was right - it's a solid 4.5 & it may get even better in a printed version (I've read an unreleased version with all the chapters, but before the final editing, w/o some diagrams, etc.).

Good stuff? It's definitely successful in introducing the reader into the
Jakub
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really happy that this was first book about k8s that i've read. It's really good introduction into the topic with some background why things are done this way and not the other way round.

I would say its solid 4. I'm giving 5 as this book helped me a lot with understanding what is what and how this all parts work together to create something bigger. If i would not have a need to that knowledge i would go with 4 stars.

That one missing star: The only thing I was missing was 3-4 words dictionar
Diego Garcia
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to main kubernetes core concepts.
It's a beginners book but is very easy to read.
Ben
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a review of the "Early Release" edition.

To be concise: the "Early Release" edition contains typos, a few technical errors, and a host of incomplete sections even within the "available" chapters. The total length is about 90 pages and the list price at the time of writing this review was about $40. This may be a good book eventually, but it is far too early, unpolished, and incomplete a draft to be ready for sale even as an "Early Release."

Perhaps when the full edition is available this b
Yevgeniy Brikman
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
As promised, this is a nice, quick, bare-bones intro to Kubernetes. You'll deploy some Docker containers in Pods, create Services, work with ReplicaSets, DaemonSets, and StatefulSets, run a few Jobs, and learn how to manage configs, secrets, and deployments. The Kubernetes project is moving so quickly that, just 2 years later, a little bit of the content feels dated, but overall, the book holds up well.
Erkin Unlu
It is an okay book, but there’s nothing inside that you can’t find in documentation around the web. Instead the authors could start from real-world example and try to solve it with kubernetes infrastructure. This way they could delve deeper into the philosophy of orchestration of containers and why you need scaling in your environment. I would recommend people to buy an online course instead of this book. And also minus star for requirement for a commercial service for a kubernetes cluster.
Santiago Coffey
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good technical book about deployment, scaling and management of containerized applications, written by some of the engineers who originally developed Kubernetes at Google. This is a new software architecture paradigm that will change how we build, deploy and maintain services in the cloud and will make virtual machine hosted servers obsolete.
Filip Tepper
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to Kubernetes, but I would not rush it to production after reading only this book.
Sankar
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had high expectations for this books due to the high profiles of the authors. The book is very ordinary. It just introduces what various concepts are (like replicasets, deployments, daemonsets, etc.) at a very beginner level (one per chapter). Nothing is mentioned about how to deploy kubernetes apps in a public cloud, probably, as each of the authors work in different competing companies. Zero information about internals of kubernetes either. The book is neither for beginners nor for advanced ...more
Max Wolffe
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I only have an udemy course to compare this to, but I found "Kubernetes: Up & Running" to be a really excellent introduction to the high level resources, concepts, and best practices of Kubernetes.

The Good:
- Well paced / laid out - the book starts with "Why Kubernetes", then moves through basic kubectl commands, then through the basic Kubernetes resources/concepts (Pods, Service Discovery, Replication Sets, etc), and finishes with some real world applications and advice for how to do things in
Anton Antonov
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Kubernetes book we've been waiting for.

If you're using Kubernetes, you probably heard of Kelsey Hightower by now and anticipated a book by him. Well, now partnered with O'Reilly - they deliver!

The book follows the standard narrative of the "Up & Running" series - go through different topics by providing the minimum valuable code snippets and then build it all up to one big application that showcases everything learnt so far.

Given Kubernetes history of changes, the book manages to cover the t
Erik Molnar
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
This is a quick read that gives a good overview of Kubernetes and what it is all about. I have never used it myself, but there is talk about this being the future of automation. Basically Kubernetes allows you to automate containers. Mainly Docker. I don't know Docker yet either, so I probably should have started there. Apparently Google has been using this for 10 years already, so you know it is legit. It was made open source and expanded upon by the open source community. The appendix in here ...more
Maurício Linhares
Straightforward introduction to Kubernetes, covers most of the basics (and is mostly cloud-provider agnostic, did it all on GCP and it was all good) and goes all the way to setting up a stateful application. Includes examples of how to use config maps, services, pods, replica sets, daemon sets and stateful sets, lots of stuff to take on.

Some examples have typos or need updating to the latest version (I did this in a 1.7 cluster on GCP) but it's nothing that drives down the value. Also, if on GCP
Kawai
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: code
A decent overview of Kubernetes, but it's barely more than a compilation & organization of the docs available on the Kubernetes website. If you haven't gone through those docs--or feel they aren't well organized enough to lead you through, start to finish--then this might be a good starting point. After that, I'd suggest you find other books more likely to give you insight into the CI/CD pipeline one might build, or additional best practices for management of large-scale Kubernetes clusters.

A d
Bob Nasser
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been preparing for the CKA exam for over two weeks now, reading a lot of resources about Kubernetes and trying out some concepts here and there. Yet this book has so far been the best resource I've found for someone completely new to containers and container orchestration to start their journey with. Granted, the book is dated at this point, yet the insights given by some of the founders and original developers of Kubernetes can never be overstated. Their knowledge shines through as you're ...more
Piotr Gregorczyk
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a complete pack for anyone starting or wanting to catch up with kubernetes. However I would love to see more practical examples. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of practical advice but only one sample how to glue everything altogether. I felt also confused about all options I can choose for persistency. I should also point out that there is little about kubernetes architecture. Overall it's a solid book thought but I need to supplement it with some Internet reading or another book.
Laust
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for building initial Kubernetes vocabulary and figuring out how everything is intended to be used at the conceptual level. Useful to get bearings, but the official documentation is still necessary to expand on all the details.

The final chapter of examples would have been much improved if the examples had been complete rather than bare minimum. By this I mean including deployments, live- and health-checks, and using secrets in complete examples.
Bilal
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
(This review is for the 2nd ed.)

This is a very nicely composed book for a useful introduction to the container orchestration tool, Kubernetes. The main concepts or topics are separated out into small chapters. Each chapter starts with a general introduction to the topic, followed by some example code. I wanted a high-level understanding of the key concepts and methods that makes this tool function, and I am satisfied with the product.
Leandro López
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I was expecting much more about this book than what currently has. I understand is still a work in progress and several sections seems missing, but some sentences didn't felt right, the examples were utterly simple or just didn't showed up enough information about what was the author trying to achieve. Still is a good beginner level introduction to Kubernetes, but just that.
Dan Lien
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a solid short introduction to Kubernetes. As the title says, this will get you "Up & Running," but don't expect it to cover day-to-day operation of your Kubernetes cluster.

I mostly recommend this book for someone that's new to Kubernetes, but someone more experienced could probably pick up some new tricks.
Alessandro Pellizzari
A good guide for beginners, but, apart from a quick appendix on how to install Kubernetes on a Raspberry Pi cluster, it assumes you already have access to a cluster without explaining any of the available (commercial) clusters.

I appreciated the chapters on how to configure services needing storage, but I would have liked a deeper analysis.
Benjamin Jordan
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This has been a helpful introduction to Kubernetes. The book pretends to be standalone, but a good understanding of Docker is pretty necessary. I would have appreciated more "history", or rather, parallels between Kubernetes and other technologies it's replacing (i.e. there are a lot of parallels with Docker Compose-- explicit use cases would have been helpful).
Lichensky
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good introduction to Kubernetes. You will get the basic concepts and learn how to work with the essential Kubernetes objects (Pods, Services, Deployments etc.).

This book is not a deep-dive into Kubernetes. It is a perfect starter if you want to deploy your workloads on Kubernetes.

I would recommend to follow the examples on your own cluster (cloud-provided would be the most convenient).
Ivan Orone
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very useful introduction to Kubernetes concepts. It explains the various concepts surrounding Kubernetes in a concise manner.

For anyone new to Kubernetes, this book will help you set up your first cluster with confidence, following best practices recommended by those who have been using it for long.
James Healy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to the terminology, concepts and basic admin commands of kubernetes. Probably a reasonable place to start if you find yourself working with kubernetes, despite it approaching 18 months old in a fast moving field.
John Sheehan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro to Kubernetes

Kubernetes is quickly becoming the dominant container orchstrator. This book is the best intro I've found on the topic. It teaches how to think about Kubernetes, rather than just teaching you a bunch of commands.
Qaiser Bangash
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sre
One of the best book about kubernetes and highly recommended for those who wants to learn k8s. Authors have explained everything with good examples. If you want to read about k8s, then this is the book for you
Debashish Mishra
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the commands and examples are a bit outdated because of rapid progress in this field.

Also some examples are tuned to run on linux and some on windows. So you may have to adjust accordingly.

Nevertheless worth spending every minute of your time on this book.
Baboune
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very high level. Almost no info about internals. Disappointing.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cloud Native Devops with Kubernetes: Building, Deploying, and Scaling Modern Applications in the Cloud
  • Terraform: Up & Running: Writing Infrastructure as Code
  • Kubernetes in Action
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Docker: Up & Running: Shipping Reliable Containers in Production
  • Kubernetes Patterns: Reusable Elements for Designing Cloud-Native Applications
  • The Kubernetes Book: Version 2.2 - January 2018
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The Site Reliability Workbook: Practical Ways to Implement SRE
  • The Go Programming Language
  • Docker Deep Dive
  • Prometheus: Up & Running: Infrastructure and Application Performance Monitoring
  • Microservice Patterns

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »