Start by marking “Ten Tiny Tickles” as Want to Read:
Ten Tiny Tickles

Ten Tiny Tickles

How many tickles does baby need to start the day? Cuddle and laugh with this count & read book! ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Tiny Tickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Tiny Tickles

Start your review of Ten Tiny Tickles
June
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Baby book requests
Recommended to June by: Jbrary
Maybe just a 3.5, but I enjoyed this the most of the books that came over the weekend and will try it out in my Baby/Toddler Laptime.

A baby's day starts out with lots of tickles.
Olivia Slykhuis
This book isn't anything particularly special, but might work well for a storytime for young kids, who can count and tickle along on a stuffed animal or with parents. Also deals with body parts, which is always good for kid audience participation. pictures are bright and colourful, but not my favourite.
Carrie Griffin
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
For September 12th, we had a day where the kids at the daycare brought in their favorite books to read. This was one of my preschool students' favorite books.

This book really did not interest my students at all, which was telling the second I started reading it. A good book for little children but definitely not for the older ones.
Keshia Burchette
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Sweet book to get the day started with baby.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect book for a wee one who is learning to count. Katz has a great series of books that are simple, interactive, fun, and educational.
Kimberly
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I used this one today in baby storytime; it is oh so sweet. I love Katz's baby illustrations.
One Code 431
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved the artwork
Anjana
Jan 05, 2020 added it
Not bad, but it wasn't my kind of book and it was easy. I read this to my little sister so yeah....
Lea Marie
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My youngest and I used to read this every day. Such a cute book to make interactive fun with your little one while helping him learn to count.
Leslie Stair
I use this book for my Baby and Me Music and Art Class

After reading the book aloud and doing our regular songs and new thematic ones I lead a process oriented art activity with babies and caregivers.

The ASL signs introduced were about families; mother, father, grandma, grandpa, and baby

Thematic songs about families were introduced

The art project was using a homemade, edible paint to allow babies to explore painting freely using hands and large brushes. I made an edible fingerpaint from cornstarc
Jazzmarie Vedrine
This is a bright, colorful book that could lead to be an interactive, playful game with toddlers ages 2 to 3 years old. It teaches how to count to 1o, and body parts and putting words into action, like learning how to bounce, wiggle, tickle, tap, as these were some of the words of what was listed in the book. The story could be put into a song in teaching body parts, or learning how to count or just being silly and playful just tickling a toddler on exposed body parts, like hands, head, ears, to ...more
lucem
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: baby-toddler
Shelves: pb-counting
CIP: Family members awaken a baby with tickles, from one little tickle on a lovely sleepy head to ten tiny tickles on chubby, tubby toes.

Does the normal counting book stuff (# written as word, as numeral and displayed as objects). The illustrations do show baby doing normal daily activities, but seems kind of blah to me. A little rhyming like teeny-weeny, boogie-woogie and chubby-tubby. A stretch to make it a worthwhile read would be for parents to do the tickling actions on baby while reading.

R
Heidi-Marie
This looks like a good toddler book for counting aloud in storytime. The pictures look a bit cutesy, but I guess the children won't mind.

6/22/10 & 6/24/10 The simple counting books are great with this age. They're all at different stages of knowing their numbers, so some can use their fingers, and some like the repetitiveness of the actual counting. Even the older kids who showed up liked counting along. And the young crowd seemed to enjoy all the different possible tickles, too.

1/5/18 Should be
Kelsey
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ten Tiny Tickles features the story of a baby receiving ten different kinds of tickles to wake up in the morning. Each page clearly shows the number in both word form and number form. The page also features daisies that children can count with each number. The book doesn't provide a way for children to count the actual tickles that the baby receives. Instead, children count the daisies. Children will enjoy and identify with the laughing baby as the baby receives tickles from family members and p ...more
Monica Rigor
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, family, body-parts
As Baby wakes up, she is greeted by ten tickles from various family members. Each family member offers a different type of tickle from Baby's head to her tiny toes. Children are taught to count to 10, and recognize body parts and family members. This book could be made interactive by having children touch the body parts that are tickled, and act out the types of tickles given to Baby (e.g., wiggly tickles, and tapping tickles). Children with disabilities can be hand-over-hand prompted to touch b ...more
Jessica
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a counting book that goes through the day of a baby. Throughout the day, they get tickles and each time they count up. “One little tickle on a lovely, sleepy head” “Two kitty tickles on chunky, spunky ears” The book has cute illustrations of a baby and her family and friends. It is a fun book that you could read with your child and tickle them. It encourages physical touch and literacy interaction. It is also a board book with easy to turn pages.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked this better than 10 kisses. It felt a little less gender specific. Or maybe charlie just liked it better. He really liked the tickles up & down his back. I like how most of katz bks are participatory as well as a enjoyable read. I would like to think that most parents would think to do those sort of things with their kids but I know better.

Emma likes the tickles too!
Mary
Sep 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Maybe I’m splitting hairs here, but the concept of the book (“tickles”) is something that can’t be counted. So many it fails in the concept. Each page has the number, the number spelled out, and the number depicted in daisies, but this has nothing to do with tickles. So the text of the book doesn’t really go along with counting, except for the fact the baby has 1 head, 2 ears, and 10 toes.
Missy Kirtley
Maybe I'm just out of the phase where I can read these sorts of books to my toddler. I'm expecting more from books now-a-days. When baby#2 arrives, and I read this one to her, I may have a completely different opinion, but right now I want more for my toddler.

I suppose we'll have to give this one another try when baby#2 gets here, and I can start reading things to her.
Gabriel
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So we stopped in HomeGoods today after a hospital visit for Gabriel and he latched onto this book and would not let go! It was hysterical- he loves Karen Katz so... Two women were amazed at how he was holding it and leafing through it. I bought it! And G's little cousin read it to him- adorable!
jacky
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I really like some of Karen Katz's books, but this one was just okay. The phrasing was just too cutesy for me (tuby toes and spunky ears?). I did like seeing the baby interact with so many different family members. Natalie liked it though and asked to hear it often.
Holly
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: carson-s
This would be an excellent baby shower book. It is interactive with your child by tickling. It would encourage a daily morning bonding routine if you were to read it on a consistent basis. One of my favorites.
Endya Melvin
This is a cute fun book about a mother who tickles her daughter different ways throughout the morning while getting her dressed while the number increases with each tickle. This is a counting book from 1-10, but can also be used to teach adjectives as well as.
Meg McGregor
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A unique counting book that fans of Karen Katz will simply love.

Little ones can help Baby start her day by reading about all ten different types of tickles she receives by loving members of her family.
Madison
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: toddler, math, body-parts
Teach your child different parts of the body as you read by tickling them just as the baby is tickled in the story. Your child will also be exposed to number words 1-10 as the story continues. This book contains bright, cheerful illustrations with plenty of details.
Ellee
Cute, but not as cute as Daddy Hugs.
Ubalstecha
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Nice little board book where a baby gets ticjked, Perhaps the one about tickling the tush is a little creepy, but it is meant to be innocent. Nice review of anatomy.
Ubalstecha
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eileen
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You'll love to hear your baby giggle as he/she learns about so many ticklish spots. Get ready for smiles and squeals - coming from you and your baby.
Polly
Went over big at Books for Babies! Also very popular doing outreach to toddler classes.
Counting Book 1 1 Feb 09, 2016 10:03AM

• Peek-a-Moo!
  • The Doghouse
  • Clip-Clop
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Jump!
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Cockatoo, Too
  • Owen's Marshmallow Chick
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more

News & Interviews