Start by marking “In Her Own Right: The Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton” as Want to Read:
In Her Own Right: The Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton

In Her Own Right: The Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The first comprehensive, fully documented biography of the most important woman suffragist and feminist reformer in nineteenth-century America, In Her Own Right restores Elizabeth Cady Stanton to her true place in history. Griffith emphasizes the significance of role models and female friendships in Stanton's progress toward personal and political independence. In Her Own ...more
Published November 1st 1985 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 13th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In Her Own Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Her Own Right

Amanda Rose
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A perfectly adequate account of the life of ECS, although there were several factors that made it unsatisfying to me. The major one is that it largely fails to properly detail what in our time is ECS's most controversial period, her opposition to the 14/15th Amendments. This is such an important issue and such a complex one you really need to take a show, don't tell approach to her rhetoric, many more direct quotes required for the reader to really get a sense of the context of her views and the ...more
Sandy Bell
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but I was left with too many questions. I didn't care how many times she was president of a newly titled group, but I would have enjoyed her reaction to the election of US presidents and events that were a part of her world. Would have loved a page about how her hard work helped women gain the right to vote in 1920.
Amy
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Two things struck me especially hard in this book. First, Elizabeth Cady Stanton first became interested in the rights of women she was she overwhelmed by the domestic duties that consumed the lives of women. While much has changed since then, I think the responsibilities of home and children continue to keep many women from reading and thinking as much as they would like. Second, toward the end of her life, Stanton made her most compelling case for equal treatment for women. That we are, in ess ...more
Marcia
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
A fascinating, complex woman who deserves to be treated more completely by history. This book bogged down toward the end....she and Susan Anthony seemed to have argued about virtually everything, but neother was willing to "give".
In spite of that, they remained friends until the end...and neither saw the day when women could vote. I want a rest from this topic for awhile, but would like to read the book Sisters,which is about their relationship.
Sue
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This is my favorite biography of Elizabeth Cady Stanton. In my opinion it captures the flaws and the strengths of her character, instead of merely reeling off all her accomplishments. This book reads like a novel and when I've suggested it to students, I've found that they enjoy it. Much of the Ken Burns documentary on Stanton & Anthony draws on this book.
Melissa
Mar 09, 2008 rated it liked it
So, here's the thing. I liked the book a lot--thought it did a great job of capturing the complexity of Stanton. Definitely a must-read for anyone interested in the history of the women's suffrage movement.
However, it wasn't one of those biographies that captured my imagination. It was one of those books that I didn't feel pulled back to--and it shows in how long it took me to finish it!
Jodi Meadows
This book has had a tremendous impact on me. As a mother of four, I can relate to her well expressed feelings of being trapped and isolated, especially when the children were young. Her writing has prompted me to examine some of my own ideas about the division of labor in the home and child rearing. Although she was certainly not perfect, she was brave.
Elise
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I picked this up in hopes of learning more about Elizabeth Cady Stanton after reading Not for Ourselves Alone. A wonderful review of her life and a good reminder of the humanity of all strong historical figures.
Kate
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Informative, readable, and psychologically useful to me at this moment in my life. Filled in gaps in my limited knowledge of the 19th century feminist movement in America. Very glad someone left this book in the path of the friend who gave it to me.
Heidi Scanlon
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fascinating biography of an important feminist from the 1800's who too many of us don't know much about. She was considered extremist and shunned by many because she fought for women's equality in all aspects not just for the right to vote.
Cheryl
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book about an extraordinary woman in her time.
Kaye
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Skimmed it and also watched the Ken Burns PBS documentary to add to the experience - called For Ourselves Alone.
Rosanne Cedroni
Jan 22, 2011 marked it as to-read
This book was mentioned by Ken Burns in the introduction of his book about Stanton and Anthony - it sounds good!
Jocie
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
fascinating story about my relative!
Sherry Ann
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Jo-Ann
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was the reason I switched back to my own ("maiden") name after 9 years of happy wedlock.
Lesley
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Very interesting read, the author takes a different approach by viewing the psychological aspects of Cady Stanton however doesn't entirely prove her thesis.
Sheryl
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A decent biography, wonderful subject.
Patrick
Jul 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: americanhistory
Pretty good biography, which I picked up at the National Women's History Museum (run by the National Park Service) in Elizabeth Cady Stanton's hometown of Seneca Falls, NY.
Jill
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Great to learn more about this amazing woman but I thought her incredible life could have been told with more passion and in a more engaging way, still it was great to learn more about her.
Mia
Apr 10, 2016
Kathy Bieger Roche
Mar 09, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Century of Struggle: The Woman's Rights Movement in the United States, Enlarged Edition
  • I Could Do That!: Esther Morris Gets Women the Vote
  • "A" is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women
  • Not for Ourselves Alone: The Story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
  • Elizabeth Cady Stanton: An American Life
  • With a Daughter's Eye: A Memoir of Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson
  • Sisters: The Lives of America's Suffragists
  • Of Numbers and Stars: The Story of Hypatia
  • Their Noble Lordships: Hereditary Peerage Today
  • Seneca Falls and the Origins of the Women's Rights Movement
  • The World Split Open: How the Modern Women's Movement Changed America
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Reporting at Wit's End: Tales from the New Yorker
  • Woodrow Wilson (The American Presidents, #28)
  • Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World