Start by marking “Titan (The Grand Tour, #15)” as Want to Read:
Titan (The Grand Tour, #15)

Titan

(The Grand Tour #15)

Hugo Award-winning editor, author, scientist, and journalist, Ben Bova is a modern master of near-future science fiction and a passionate advocate of manned space exploration.  For more than a decade, Bova has been chronicling humanity's struggles to colonize our solar system in a series of interconnected novels known as "The Grand Tour."

Now, with Titan, Ben Bova takes re
Mass Market Paperback, 418 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by Tor (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Titan, please sign up.

Start your review of Titan (The Grand Tour, #15)
AndrewP
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading this one out of order as book #14 Mercury is a stand alone and I wanted to read this one while the events of 'Saturn' were still fresh in my mind.

Another good adventure yarn and a lot more exploration and scientific study takes place in this book. There are several sub plots and various relationships between the main characters and although none of the book was particularly slow paced the last 100 pages were edge of the seat material.

Overall this book comes off as being on the light, en
David
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
My hate-read of Ben Bova continues. This is not the worst thing I’ve read of his, but that’s not saying much.

Bova’s standard one-dimensional interchangeable characters combine once again with his trademark cringe-inducing romantic scenes. This book has a mystifying and awful subplot that revolves around the idea that all women want is to have babies.

So, really not great. Yet somehow not his worst.
Gendou
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Classic Bova. First, you got your space stuff, an asteroid hollowed to form a space habitat, and flown out to Saturn. Next, there's an angry antagonist, two in this book, who terrorize their subordinates and all the people around them. I think the main character is Titan Alpha, a rover with the mission of exploring the surface and sending back data. Only, it has a glitch and doesn't send any data back.

(view spoiler)
Mitch
Jul 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I understand that this book won an award.

What I don't understand is why.

It is bad. The dialog is frequently jarringly awful, the plot drops through the floor of credibility repeatedly, the cardboard characters behave in obvious plot-manipulative ways, and it's repetitive repetitive repetitive...

Any novel this deeply flawed will naturally seem too long. Here, it succeeds.

I don't want to say Ben's a bad writer. He absolutely is with this effort, but maybe he got better down the line. I'm not going
Clark Hallman
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Titan is another excellent science fiction novel in Ben Bova’s Grand Tour series. Goddard, a permanent space habitat containing 10,000 people from Earth, is in orbit around Saturn in the years 2095-2096. The unethical Chief Administrator of Goddard is planning to extract the water from the rings of Saturn to sell it to other earth space colonies, which would make the population of the habitat very wealthy. However, the scientists in the habitat are concerned that the mining operations will harm ...more
Doctor Moss
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ben Bova's "Grand Tour" of the solar system is full of life. Two things especially distinguish the life his characters discover on other worlds from life on our own world.

One is that, unlike traditional science fiction, the inhabitants of Bova's planets and moons are rarely at all like us. That is the case with Titan. I enjoyed that the discoveries on Titan and Saturn's rings in this book challenge our understandings of the complexities of life and our understanding of what life actually is. Sin
Brian Carless
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Titan is a nice addition to Ben Bova's Grand Tour of the Solar System series. It stands well on its own and its plot grows out of what came before it. Bova's prose is good but not great and his plot and characters are a bit flat. But as near-future sci-fi it is compelling, barely 90 years into the future. Our own solar system is envisioned as a very rich and fertile place and the science isn't too far our of reach making it beleivable and compelling. Also making it even more belivable and compel ...more
Thomas
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Ben Bova really needs to work on the characterization of his female characters. To be fair, at least they exist in this book and are more or less real characters, whereas the two female characters in Bova's Mercury were tokens to be sought by the male characters. Beyond that, I enjoyed this novel but did not find it nearly as compelling as Mercury, which was the first Grand Tour book I've ever read and the first Bova book I read since "End of Exile." I think I'm sort of walking into a series hal ...more
Paul Weiss
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Modern science fiction the way it OUGHT to be!

In Earth's past, Australia was effectively a prison colony, a place for transportation of convicted felons to get them out of sight and out of mind, a place where misfits, recluses and hard-nosed independents could live or die on the strength of their own efforts, a place to which people with intractable problems could run away and start over. In Earth's future, Ben Bova has imagined a distant space habitat orbiting above the surface of Saturn's icy
JP
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
On one hand, it's better than Saturn. At least this time around, we spend the entire book around Saturn and Titan, with a bit more exploration into the rings of the former and on the surface of the latter. There are essentially three plotlines: a robotic probe sent to Titan is refusing to phone home, someone has to go back to rings to verify that they're alive, and it's election season again--this time with Zero Population Growth as the main issue.

The first--going into the rings to collect samp
Jeff Smith
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grand Tour sexism is strong here.

Another intersting and forward thinking book. It Further develops a cast of characters from the grand tour series which is nice. I believe the book stands on it's own as well, but it does help to know Doug Stavenger and Pancho Lane etc
As forward thinking as Mr Bova is in science and putting women in power positions, I do wish he was a little more forward thinking in terms of relationships (marriage is the only acceptable end goal), mores (only the women want the
Casey Wheeler
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the 15th book in the Grand Tour series addressing various planets, moons, etc. in our solar system and what could happen in the future. This is the fifth one that I have read. My understanding is that they do not have to be read in order and this was a definite stand alone novel. It is a solid read, not a page turner, that was ahead of its time by featuring strong women characters in lead roles. Unfortunately, the author fell back to sexist stereotypes that somewhat deluded the strong wo ...more
Durval Menezes
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great Space Opera from Bova. This continues the story from "Saturn", good plot (with a nice twist near the end, and a great ending where everyone's happy -- and which, despite that, is nonetheless very believable). It is still not on par with "Mars" (in my opinion the best book of Bova's "Grand Tour" arch I've read so far), but anyway deserves a 4.5, which I'm rounding up to 5 due to GoodReads still not allowing fractional ratings.
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-sf-fantasy
All of its plots are so inter-connected that a few of them end up coming to rather abrupt conclusions, even as it tries to avoid crumbling under the weight of so much story. That it survives and prospers in exciting fashion is a testament to Ben Bova's skill. It's certainly quite the ride, reading this monster-sized web of plots and character shenanigans.
Richard
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Workmanlike later entry in Bova's "Grand Tour" novels. I enjoy Bova's hard science and his sense of wonder. When I want to travel through space, he's a reliable guide. In this book the plot feels a little bit by the numbers, but in at least two climactic scenes, the tension was palpable and fun to read. My favorite "Grand Tour" novel remains "Mars."
David Kerwood
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping story, fast moving

Terrific story, with both hard science and great character development. An unbeatable combination for a terrific read. Not just a traditional science fiction yarn.
Joey Rogers
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Ben Bove book I read. I was hooked.
Brian Bohmueller
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Bova mixes intriguing space exploration moments with a flood of dated, often chauvanistic, political drama. Titan deserves better. Andy Weir, got anything?
Kevin Black
The characters make the book. A good read.
Del
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first Ben Bova book, but not my last!
Very enjoyable book!
Kyle Carroll (i_fucking_love_books)
Excellent follow-up to Saturn. Although not as exciting and dramatic as the former, it was still a solid 5/5 for me! It was nice to see old characters return and their stories expanded upon.
Martial Trevett
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Humans find nanites in Saturn's rings while in orbit around Titan
Amy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved that the entire novel was really a letter, in a way. There’s a mystery at the center so I can’t say too much more. But this YA book was short and sweet. I really liked it.
Brent Werness
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the first book in Ben Bova's Grand Tour series that I've read. While this book did not particularly impress me, I will say that I enjoyed it enough to read more of his work.

First I'll start out with the good. The pacing of the story worked fairly well for me. In particular, it quite deftly avoided one of the biggest issues plaguing hard scifi books: the massive info dump. This isn't to say that it doesn't try to give you some scientific background on what's going on, but that it is in g
Amy Day
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Titan chronicles mans adventures as he explores Saturn, it's rings, and its moons. Part of the Grand Tour series.
Fred Hughes
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book carries on where Saturn ends. The 11 mile long by 4 mile wide space habitat Goddard has reached Saturn and is in orbit around it’s moon Titan.

Science, politics, technology and human foibles all get put in a bender, shaken; not stirred, and what comes out is highly entertaining.

The main story revolves around Titan Alpha which is a semi autonomous rover type vehicle sent to the surface of Titan to explore the surface. The problem is once it lands it decides that collecting data about Tit
Santosh Bhat
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Titan is a direct sequel to the novel "Saturn" in the author's Grand Tour saga. Like all his books, Titan belongs to the genre of hard sci-fi, where scientific accuracy is paramount, which means that lightsaber wielding space aliens are out, but a remote controlled AI probe is the main protagonist. Titan Alpha, lands on the surface of Saturn's moon Titan, starts mapping its alien geology and biology, but remains eerily silent, and does not send back any of the data to the anxious scientists at S ...more
Norbert
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Jake
Apr 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this novel. I enjoyed Ben Bova’s Mars a lot. Given the real life Cassini Space Probe is currently wowing NASA and the public with its scientific exploration of Saturn and its moons, I was primed to relish this book. Unfortunately, I found most of it dry, plodding, and almost wholly unconcerned with the moon Titan. Much of the novel takes place in Goddard, a space vehicle reminiscent of Arthur C. Clarke’s Rama, though this one is manmade. Mr. Bova stirs up a great deal ...more
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ben Bova has written a vast number of books in the Grand Tour series this being the most recent to be released in paperback. Several of the books have planet or moon names as the titles, the Rock Rats series also is in the saga. I read the first three Rock Rats books and they were all pure Bova – fast paced, great characters, interesting locations and solid science.

Titan takes places a few years after the Asteroid wars are over, and Pancho Lane, the heroine of the Rock Rats books has retired as
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Titan (The Grand Tour #15) by Ben Bova 4 12 Sep 02, 2018 07:19PM

• Chasm City
  • See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism
  • Contagious (Infected, #2)
  • Infected (Infected, #1)
  • Pandemic (Infected, #3)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Against the Fall of Night
  • Shalilayo
  • The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Bad Debts (Jack Irish, #1)
  • The Hemlock Cup: Socrates, Athens, and the Search for the Good Life
  • Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century Volume 2: The Man Who Learned Better
  • Brazil: The Troubled Rise of a Global Power
  • The Harrad Experiment
  • Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War
  • The Collapse (299 Days, #2)
  • Shut Down (Corbett, #1)
  • On a Hoof and a Prayer: Exploring Argentina at a Gallop
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo

The Grand Tour (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Powersat (The Grand Tour, #1)
  • Privateers (The Grand Tour, #2; Privateers, #1)
  • Empire Builders (The Grand Tour, #3; Privateers, #2)
  • Mars (The Grand Tour, #4)
  • Moonrise (The Grand Tour, #5; Moonbase Saga, #1)
  • Moonwar (The Grand Tour, #6; Moonbase Saga, #2)
  • Return to Mars (The Grand Tour, #7)
  • The Precipice (The Grand Tour, #8; The Asteroid Wars, #1)
  • Jupiter (The Grand Tour, #9)
  • The Rock Rats (The Grand Tour, #10; The Asteroid Wars, #2)