Start by marking “The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the Novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  395 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Nicki Greenberg, with her bold illustrative style, retells F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic The Great Gatsby in a brilliant, innovative graphic novel. In the exquisitely realized setting of 1920s New York, a throng of fantastical creatures play out the drama, the wry humour, and the tragedy of the novel. Nicki Greenberg is reverently faithful to the plot, mood, and ...more
Published January 15th 2008 by Penguin Canada (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Gatsby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Gatsby

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the Novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ferdy
Liked it, the main characters arcs and personalities were captured surprisingly well… At times it felt like I was reading the actual book. I had mixed feelings when it came to the artwork — the drawings were done well (some were very, very funny) but the lack of colour made everything seem dull, the panels ended up looking quite similar to one another which made it all rather monotonous.
I loved how Tom, Daisy and their daughter were drawn, just the look of them made me laugh out loud a few
Theresa
For something that was an adaptation of a classic, this was one of the most unique things I have read. The fact that it captured the heart of the original with its own style left me amazed at just how well it translated to page.

The art style and layout even fitted the story quite well with the photo album layout and sepia tone photos (though will state the sepia tone needed to be a bit more brighter)
W.G. Saraband
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant presentation of Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, through a different medium accompanied by an abridged, but unaltered, version of the original text.

The artwork is quite bizarre, and yet somehow seems to blend perfectly with the story and its setting. The essence of the characters shines in a way that is very different to the medium of text or even film, only because Nicki Greenberg did an amazing job at it.

If you are a fan of the original, this will only enrich your affection for
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
I've rated this with allowance for the medium, in which I think Greenberg's fantastical character renditions in sepia lovingly and very accurately capture and hold together F Scott Fitzgerald's personal, dramatic vision of an era's dreams in slow, sunset-like demise.

Of the original novel (to which this adaptation is remarkably faithful), I can only say that while the understated vigour and inventiveness of the language are commendable (but on the whole it felt 'overripe' by turns), it had
Jess Best
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
at this point i'm so sick of hearing about the great gatsby (despite enjoying it) that reading a graphic novel version was just... not fun.
S.B. Wright
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are not a comic book writer or illustrator I’d suggest attending talks where these folk (sometimes one and the same person) talk about their process. In my case it has highlighted some of the ingenuity that my eyes have taken for granted. I always find that in reading a comic or graphic novel that I am missing, at least consciously, some of the artistry that exists in the image work.

I had the great pleasure of listening to Nicki Greenberg talk about the process of adapting works to the
Emma Kate
3.5
Talita and I read this in a record-breaking 50 minutes. I hate the Great Gatsby and gave it a generous 3 stars and purely because of the copious amounts of nipples in this book combined with the fact that Nick is a slug, I will rate this book 3.5 stars. That is all.
Jemilla
"[reading this] is like pulling teeth"
- elijah cashin, 2019
Jane
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, quick read after having read this many, many years ago in high school.
Allegra S
I love the Great Gatsby, it's one of my favourite novels. I was glad this adaptation was edited in a way that kept a lot of the original writing in.

It was fun to read, but I did grow tired of the sepia scrapbook theme. It would have been nice to have the scrapbook at the beginning then "gone in" to one of the photos and had full colour and full page spreads. I didn't like the under-the-sea characters much either, it didn't add anything really.

Harlinah
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was one of my favourite books in 2010. I've read the original Gatsby a couple of times over the years, and liked it, but I could never quite remember the plot afterward. This version has really stuck in my head. The illustrations have just the right melancholy mood, and I loved how the characters are depicted - I'll always think of Daisy as a pretty, spindly necked puffball.
Johan Alex
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the Novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald is an ambitious adaptation of the classic book. I think Nicki has done really well in this adaptation and made it more engaging and interesting for me to read compared to the actual Gatsby book. After seeing the movie I wasn't really a fan of this story but Nicki kept the same basis but adapted to be more interesting and better to read. I think it was the correct move by Nicki to make the characters in ...more
Lu
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
Funny story. We were studying the Great Gatsby in literature class in high school and I forgot my book. I didn't want to get in trouble so I scrambled to try and find a copy of the book before class began. Luckily I found this version. I was incredibly relieved until I opened it and realised that it was a graphic novel! I told my teacher about what had happened and started panicking internally that I'd get in trouble. However, she simply laughed and had a flick through this graphic novel ...more
Lucy
This was the only way I could read the great Gatsby. it was just alright
Laura Morrigan
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Review from my blog, http://rosesandvellum.blogspot.com/

May contain a few spoilers for anyone who has never read the book:

When I was younger, The Great Gatsby was my favourite book. I kept it by my bedside and read it over and over again. I also loved the movie with Robert Redford. Several years ago, I was excited to find this graphic novel adaptation. I love graphic novels, and I am always interested to see how stories translate into different media: Novel, graphic novel, film. This book did
Bryony
Initial thoughts: Fantastic graphic novel adaptation! The artwork was amazing and kooky, Nicki Greenberg is definitely talented. Possible review to come.

Review:

This review was originally posted on my blog, Paperbacks & Protagonists.

I absolutely loved this. This is the first graphic novel I've read, and hence the first graphic novel review I've written. So please forgive me if this is rubbish. This will only be short, as I think we all know the story of The Great Gatsby. The Great Gatsby is
Rebeccahowden
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Great Gatsby is just one of those novels that’s so exquisitely written it makes me ache. Now, take that excruciatingly beautiful prose and lovely tragic story, and make all the characters strange sea creatures – and then you’ve got something really freaking cool. Gatsby as a seahorse is somehow more endearing, Nick as a sea-slug (or something?) is adorably naive and relatable, Daisy as an indefinable dandelion-headed creature is just wonderfully gorgeous, and the more contemptible characters ...more
Jen
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I first heard about this book in an Age article last year. The very idea of a literary classic like The Great Gatsby being translated into a visual medium seemed to me very ambitious and exciting.

Sure enough, it doesn't disappoint! Greenberg has a lovely sensitivity in her illustrations, punctuated by unique hand lettering, exuding the romantic, nostalgic notions of the narrator. The photo album format as a premise for the storytelling is a clever one too. Despite the glaring fact that
Mary
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I was a bit sceptical about this book. The characters from F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby are various sorts of creatures and monsters. Jay Gatsby is a seahorse.

Graphic adaptations can be a tricky business, but Nicki Greenberg's version of The Great Gatsby was done well. She distills F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing, and in doing so, highlights the genius of his craft. (On a side note, Greenberg did a great job with the letter. It's quite beautiful.)

I haven't read The Great Gatsby since
Simon Fletcher
This is the book (or rather the novel is) the book chosen by my book group for this month. Unfortunately though I was unable to get into the novel. I must have tried at least 4 times. The prose just didn't click with me and I couldn't relate to Nick Carraway as a character.
I found this graphic novel version though and whilst the prose is that of Fitzgerald, (mostly) having it in a graphic novel form made it easier to read. And now I can say I've read it and have to admit that I cant see what
Bonnie
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have attempted to read the original of this before, but gave up pretty quickly. In the original the characters were too self absorbed and pompous for me to handle, so when I saw this at the library I decided it was an opportunity to find out what the story was without driving myself up the wall again.

For my whole review check out my blog post. I know that can be annoying, but it includes pictures and links.
Jayme
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was ok... I wish I would have read the original Great Gatsby before reading this, but I did get the storyline. The illustrations however, were super weird. Greenberg turned everyone into weird sea-ish creatures that were super creepy. And I don't even know WHAT the colored folk were supposed to be but they were blobs, each with 2 hands coming out of their heads - and they acutally used those hands to serve food! Like I said uber-weird, but I still got the idea of the story. I still hope to ...more
Karin
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I had been curious about graphic novels for quite some time but like a hesitant spectator loitering on the edge of a busker’s crowd I had yet to take the plunge in to see what all the fuss was about. That is until I heard that a graphic adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novel, The Great Gatsby, had been released. I knew that I had to read it.
Read my review
Sally
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, own
Gosh I loved this! I enjoyed it more than the original although having said that, this is a very faithful adaptation - the beautiful, quirky illustrations being the only exception. The way the author captures expressions and makes such wonderful use of sunsets and water to capture scenes - it's just stunning! She really taps into the central beauty of the story and compliments Fitzgerald's words to perfection. Lovely
Megan
Oct 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: singles
It was a good book, but it was a little confusing with the post cards and everything. It was weird how all these people died and their deaths weren't really explained so you were left like..."So why DID they die?" "Who ACTUALLY killed them?"
Steve lockwood
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
I read it for school obviously. I liked it Ok. I enjoyed that it was a period piece and was able to transport you to another time in history. The story I thought was just ok. I didn't care to much for the characters.
Lisa Farallo
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My first foray into the world of graphic novels.
I was a little sceptical as this book is such a classic, however Nicki Greenberg's drawings worked beautifully with F Scott Fitzgerald 's stunning prose. I loved the way she depicted the characters and the expressions on their faces!
Alicia
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
I borrowed this one from the university library and absolutely loved it! I thought it was just as good as the original and the illustrations added a sort of whimsy to the book that was just fantastic!
I really want my own copy now!
Maggie
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was just simply ok in my eyes.I felt like i was forcing myself to finish.However there were moments that did feel a little intrested to find out what was going to happen next.Even though the Great Gatsby is only about 150 pages it took me more than a week to finish it.
Daisy
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The characters look so funny
Goodreads Librari...: hardcover edition missing 2 12 Dec 27, 2016 05:23AM

• Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Falling Up
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Incredible Journey
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • Murder Most Fab
  • Bart Simpson's Guide to Life: A Wee Handbook for the Perplexed
  • Forgotten Ways for Modern Days: Kitchen Cures and Household Lore for a Natural Home and Garden
  • The List That Changed My Life
  • The Leanin' Dog
  • A Grand Old Time
  • The Young Black Stallion (Black Stallion)
  • The Little Book of Mindfulness: 10 Minutes a Day to Less Stress, More Peace
  • Confessions of a Bookseller
  • Innocence
  • Who Am I, Again?
  • Something For The Weekend (Leo Street #1)
Nicki Greenberg is a writer and illustrator with a special interest in sequential art narrative - a fancy way of describing comics.

Nicki's first books, The Digits series, were published when she was fifteen years old, and sold more than 380,000 copies. Since then, she has devoted most of her ink to comics, but has also written and illustrated fiction and non-fiction books for children.

At