Start by marking “Inside The Mental: From Psychiatric Survivor to LSD Researcher” as Want to Read:
Inside The Mental: From Psychiatric Survivor to LSD Researcher

Inside The Mental: From Psychiatric Survivor to LSD Researcher

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Before she became a psychiatric nurse at "The Mental" in the 1950s, Kay Parlay was a patient there, as was her father and grandfather. Part memoir, part history, and beautifully written, "Inside "The Mental"" offers an episodic journey into the stigma, horror, and redemption that she found there. Now 92 years old, Parley looks back to document the emerging use of group the ...more
Published April 15th 2016 by University of Regina Press

To ask other readers questions about Inside The Mental, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside The Mental

Kim
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book . I have worked as a nurse in mental health for almost 32 years. It was so interesting to hear her perspective as a patient and then her perspective as a psychiatric nurse. She had words of wisdom about the care of those living with mental illness that still apply today. The author is now in her 90s. I would encourage those who work in psychiatry to read this book.
Mitch Bonaccorso
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inside the Mental by Kay Parley provides an important insight into the history of mentally ill human beings in the 20th century in Saskatchewan, Canada. Parley reminds the reader of the importance of developing political legislation from scientific investigation as opposed to what appears in magazines and on television.
Colleen
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
There was some incredibly interesting information in the book but it lacked flow - I felt like it was all over the place and could have used a logical editor to order it so it made more sense.
Patrick Book
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Very interesting recollections, but reads like what it is — a scattering is stories stitched together with minimal narrative thread. But some fascinating insight Parley’s unique experiences.
Aggie Herda
This is a good book by a local author covering her period of treatment at the Weyburn Mental Hospital and later her training there to become a psychiatric nurse in the same institution. She was there in the 1960's when the controversial use of LSD to treat patients was being conducted. She was administered her LSD by Francis Huxley, brother of the famous Aldous Huxley. The book is interesting on many levels--the treatment of mental illness in the 50's and 60's, the role of institutional care vs ...more
Kari Olfert
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'mental' and 'lsd', were the only 2 words I needed to see on the cover before I knew that this was my next book. I was surprised to find out that this book was written by a Saskatchewan author (yay!) who was an 'lsd sitter' in our very own sask psych, when lsd was considered a form of treatment.

I expected The Mental to be more of an autobiography of a stint in a mental facility. Its more of an effective treatment gone right and reads like a Saskatchewan book. Gentle campfire read.

nikki
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
3.5 rounded up.

picked up this book at the library because it's about mental illness issues in saskatchewan, written by a saskatchewan author. definitely caught my eye; it's close to home. a thought-provoking little book, for sure. there were a lot of times, however, that i wished she had gone a little deeper.
Katie
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was an interesting perspective on the history of Canadian mental health care. It started off a bit slow for me. I became more interested as she began to talk about her time as a nurse at Weyburn, especially acting as a "LSD sitter" on staff.
Sarah Jane
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Heard the author interviewed on CBC. She was in the mental hospital in Weyburn and then became and psych nurse there, involved with the LSD trials that were taking place before they were shut down.
Tracy Morton
An interesting book although a little dry at times. They introduction of LSD to the field of psychiatry is fascinating.
Laurel Kouwenhoven