Start by marking “The Cow Who Climbed a Tree” as Want to Read:

The Cow Who Climbed a Tree

Winner:
2017 CCBC Choices
2017 Charlotte Zolotow Award, Highly Commended Title

Tina isn't like the other cows. She believes that the sky is the limit and that everything is possible. But her sisters aren't convinced—and when Tina tells them she has climbed a tree and met a dragon, they decide that her nonsense has gone too far. Off they go into the woods to find her…and soon
Published March 1st 2016 by Albert Whitman Company (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Cow Who Climbed a Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cow Who Climbed a Tree

paula
There are many many MANY MANY MANY picture books about individuals of various species bucking the expectations inherent to their taxon - there are penguins that can't swim, sheep that want to rule the world, there's at least one sleepy rooster and I can think of two hippos who want to be ballerinas. But I like this one.

I like that Tina doesn't sulk or rail when her sisters try to harsh her adventurous vibe. I like that she just keeps on doing her Tina thing. She leaves them a note though, that's
Viviane Elbee
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kids were instantly excited when I pulled out this book because the title and cover are so fun. They voted to give this book 5 stars when we got to the end, and were very pleased with Tina, the little cow. The length is just right for younger children, but even older children in elementary school will enjoy this.
Mississippi Library Commission
The Cow Who Climbed a Tree has just enough silliness to please even the pickiest picture book reader, while still imparting a beautiful message about daring to be different and following your dreams. We loved Tina the Cow and we think you will, too.
Heidi-Marie
Adorable illustrations. Good lessons about believing, dreaming, hoping, and doing something about it, as well as acceptance and even sharing. Not too didactic to nauseate me. Will try in a storytime. You know me and cows....

1/25/17 Used as closer in C preschool theme. It went very well. They loved the dragon. One girl pointed it out each time it was on a page (even the last one!).
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a story about 'thinking out of the box' and not accepting the boundaries people try to set to you look no more!
OK, I like The Crocodile who didn't like water more but this one also is a fab book to read.
Maggie
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cute story of a cow who doesn't quite fit in with her sisters, goes on an adventure, and meets a magical friend in the forest. Beautiful water-spot illustrations and a great story time read.
Casandria
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great book about exploring!
Cows
Imagination
Arielle
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
cute. nice story/message. :) maybe 4.5 stars
Alyssa Tabor
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Very cute! A little long, but could probably be adapted for storytime.
Jennifer B.
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really great! Will encourage kids who dare to be different and not be limited by what other people except from them.
Baby Bookworm
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, everybody! Today, we read The Cow Who Climbed A Tree by Gemma Merino, a wonderfully sweet story about following your dreams.

Tina is a smart, curious cow who loves to learn, explore, and dream. Her sisters think her wonderings are foolish and pointless, and never miss an opportunity to tell her so. But Tina doesn’t let their negativity dampen her spirits, and instead of being content to s
Michelle
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
"Tina is a very curious cow who believes the sky is the limit and anything is possible. She's always dreaming up wonderful things to do but her sisters think her ideas are very silly.... When Tina skips breakfast for another crazy adventure, her sisters finally have enough of her silliness." [inside flap of hardcover]

The illustrations in this book definitely tell part of the story that the text leaves out. Readers will enjoy perusing the pictures before turning the page to see just what Tina is
Jtimko
Tina the cow leaves the herd in search of higher possibilities. Eventually the other cows discover that anything is possible.
The moral of this story is “Yes, Why Not?” Told with a sparsity of words, the reader will come to discover that imaginations and a willingness to try will result in success. The illustrations are soft and somewhat blurry. The message conveyed is an old one but told with a new spin. This would be an optional purchase for any library. Recommended for first to third grade.
Molly Neko
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-reads
Follow an adorable cow named Tina who believes the sky is the limit, and because of that climbs a tree one day and meets a friendly dragon. When she returns home to tell her sisters of the dragon they do not believe her. Tina leaves the house again to climb the tree and see the dragon, and this time her sisters follow her to find a world full of new and wonderful things.
Kelly
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful! The message is perfectly balanced and while clearly expressed, doesn't smack the audience over the head. The illustrations are great! Bright and colorful.
June
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: curiosity and exploration requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
A great story about a curious cow who loves to explore meets a dragon while climbing a tree and makes a friend. Her sisters don't believe her, but set out to find her the next morning...

Kelly
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
um the cow's name is tina. that's it, my next pet is definitely going to be named TINA.
Isaac (isaacthebookkeeper)
Tina is a curious and inquisitive cow. Her three bovine sisters, however, are not. For example, while her three bovine sisters contentedly munch away on grass and flowers, Tina carefully examines the vegetation with her magnifying glass and a field guide book.

Repeatedly, Tina’s three bovine sisters scoff at her imaginative ideas and dreams; they say disheartening things like “IMPOSSIBLE”, “RIDICULOUS”, and “NONSENSE”. Thankfully, plucky Tina does not take these comments to heart. Instead, she go
Annie DeLuco
This is a great book to read to children. The main character of this book, Tina the cow, is interested in things her sisters are not. They talk down to Tina whenever she has amazing ideas. They say “Impossible!” “Ridiculous!” and “Nonsense!” This does not stop Tina from being interested in what she enjoys. Her sisters could think whatever they want, but Tina was staying true to herself and enjoying what she actually likes. After her sisters venture off to find her, they realize she was right. Ti ...more
Celeste Bittner
This story was about a cow named Tina who loves to discover new things. Often sharing her stories with her sisters but being told that her stories were nonsense, ridiculous, and impossible. I loved that the author was able to portray that children should not be afraid to try new things and explore the world beyond them. I love that at the end of the story her sisters changed their minds about Tina and the world outside the farm because they saw that Tina's stories were true. In the end, the sist ...more
Brittany
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The children's picture book, "The Cow Who Climbed a Tree" is a wonderfully illustrated children's book that offers a look at the opportunities that come from exploration and adventure. The cow, Tina, is always dreaming and finding interest in the world around her while her sisters maintain their attention on eating juicy grass. Tina's adventurous nature makes her decide to go out to the woods and decide to climb a tree where she meets a vegetarian dragon. She is able to fly and experience life a ...more
Olivia Slykhuis
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Discovered this one when I went to grab The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water off the shelf at the library. Who knew there was a sequel! It's great. Tina the cow doesn't fit in with her sisters. She's curious, and has grand dreams of exploration. They are only interested in eating grass and think her ideas are RIDICULOUS. Great lesson, adorable illustrations, cute details, and a great visit from an old friend. 3+
Bianca Sy
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
This book is incredible! The title caught my attention, and as I read on, I have seen how meaningful the content is. A lot of lessons can be formed at the end of the story by anyone at any age. As a young adult, what I have concluded is that we should never stop doing what we love and try new things even it scares us; because in the end, the ones who cannot appreciate our discoveries will never feel how great we felt when we reached something impossible. From this, I will surely share the story ...more
Logan Wolford
"The Cow Who Climbed a Tree," is very creative and definitely a favorite. The writer and illustrator worked well together for the pictures and story line to really engage the reader. It shows innocence and imaginations between characters. It shows a lesson at the beginning not to let others tear you down. It also teaches to never underestimate the possibilities. Overall, it was a great story for kids.
Amanda Brooke
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a lot of fun reading this book to my students. It gave us a chance to talk about foreshadowing when the cow reaches up and grabs the dragon's tail it seems like a vine. Most students don't notice the pig running by with the parachute. After reading the story, we went back and looked at those things as well as the dream bubbles where it becomes apparent that the cow said that she wants to learn how to fly. It's great that her new friend could make that happen.
Clare
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I never even though to add this to my reading list lol
I just read this with my 6 year old daughter and i have to say she LOVED this, For her it was just the right length and she really like the pictures. Would definatly recommend this to any mum out there. I'm going to be getting more book from this author.
Alice
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
4 Stars The world was flat until someone took a boat ride... That is the point of this book and I have to say I liked it! Nothing is impossible! (well of course there are parameters of logical etc ) but I say, cows can climb trees, dragons can be vegetarians... I can be rich (or comfortable) and live in a a cottage in Ireland. or Wales, or England...yep! Let's do it!
Elisabeth
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love stumbling across books I've never heard of and finding a treasure! The Cow Who Climbed a Tree is pure magic. It's full of great stuff like daring to be who you want to be, trying new things, ignoring negativity, making new friends, and all sorts of other neato, positive things. The illustrations are gorgeous and the text is perfect. (Perfect!) Go Tina the Cow!
Alexis Bell
This book is about a cow named Tina who is very adventurous. She wanted to be just like her sisters and achieve her dreams just like them. Her sisters always refrained from using impossible, ridiculous, and nonsense. This book would be great for teachers to read to students to show them no matter your size, as long as you believe in yourself, you can achieve anything.
Darin
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. I think there are plenty of people around who tell us that we can't do things, and if we're told often enough, or if we tell others often enough, it will be believed. We should say yes more often, and encourage people to try new things.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Breaking News: Bear Alert
  • Dragon Was Terrible
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • It's Only Stanley
  • Have You Seen Elephant? (Gecko Press Titles)
  • Number One Sam