Start by marking “Pony Express Courtship (Saddles and Spurs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pony Express Courtship (Saddles and Spurs, #1)

Pony Express Courtship

(Saddles and Spurs #1)

Winning the Widow's Heart

Turning her farm into a Pony Express station is the only way for recently widowed Rebecca Young to provide for her seven adopted sons and her young daughter. It also means contending with new station manager Seth Armstrong as he trains her boys to be riders. But Rebecca soon sees he has her children's best interests at heart—and perhaps hers, too…
Published March 8th 2016 by Love Inspired (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Pony Express Courtship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pony Express Courtship

Start your review of Pony Express Courtship (Saddles and Spurs, #1)
Melanie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it

Pony Express Courtship is the first book in Rhonda Gibson's Saddles and Spurs series and a cute read. I liked basically everything about it, with the exception of the repetitiveness about certain things. When a book is already shorter than standard novels, I feel repeating things that were just mentioned a little bit ago is unnecessary.

I liked the whole Pony Express part of the story; it was way more interesting than I anticipated! The heroine was great and I found it amazing how she an
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)

What a heartwarming read! I loved how dedicated to each other everyone in the Young family was. Rebecca is trying to raise her family after the death of her husband, but she is leery of the arrangements her late husband made to have her farm become a Pony Express station. Her adopted sons are going to be riders, and right off the bat Rebecca has reservations about the safety of this endeavor. The boys do need to earn money so they can build lives for themselves, but Rebecca can't help b
Clare O'Beara
I'm a horsey person so I tend to love books with well written horses. In this case the Pony Express theme caught my eye. We don't have a lot of detail about this postal carrier, but we do know that by riding relays on fast, tough horses, the young men were able to take mail from Missouri to Sacramento in ten days through bandits, native warriors and natural hazards.

The author supposes that a home station might have been set up along the route, in this case a small homestead with sons and horses
Rhonda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing

5 Stars

I really enjoyed Pony Express Courtship. I want to see more about the characters in the future.
Rebecca Young has one daughter and seven adoptive sons. She is a widow. She cares about those around her and does what she can to help them.

Before Rebecca's husband died he arranged for their farm and their boys to be part of the Pony Express. Rebecca is worried about her boys.

Seth Armstrong was hired by the Pony Express to manage and train the boys on the Young farm. Seth plans to work just l
Megan
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was very interesting reading this book because it's about Pony Express riders, which I've always found interesting...but I don't know too much about them.

Rebecca was a strong and caring character. I loved the reason why she and her late husband adopted all their sons and how all the boys treat her like their mother.

Seth was a good character too. I liked how the story started off with him jumping in to assist the family and went from there.

There were a couple of things that were repetitive an
Marcia
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you are looking for a quick, fun read, this will do nicely! However, if you expect this to be historical fiction, you will be disappointed. There are many inaccuracies in the historical aspects of this book, but the three most glaring ones were that 1.) Wyoming Territory did not exist in 1860 (various parts belonged to Dakota Territory, Nebraska, Utah Territory, & Washington Territory). 2.) Slavery was not legal in any of the Territories of the US in 1860. & 3.) the author continually depicts ...more
Beatrice Moffitt
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a nice light read. Some of the things they did don’t seem too realistic, but as they said in the book you can make allowances for things you don’t know if they happened or not. I would like to find some more of the series if I can, to find out how the lives of the rest of them turn out.
Linda
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When a widow turns her farm into a Pony Express station she had no idea what it would involved. She had seven sons who where adopted when they turned twelve and was very concerned about them riding for the Pony Express and the danger that it brought. Very good read.
Michaela
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book . This was the first love inspired book I have read and it was really good
Books and Spoons
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A warm and fun story, about the start of the Pony Express, and a family of heart.
It was easy to admire Rebecca, her heart is pure gold, as she, and her husband, took in as many orphan boys as they could. At age twelve, when the state considered them grown men, Rebecca and John had taken inn the boys, to give them a loving home, and time to grow up to be men.
Now John is dead, and her boys are some of the first Pony Express riders, to earn a living, while still living at the ranch.
How this unit is
Tima
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rebecca and her husband Jon decided to make their farm a Pony Express station and have their boys work as riders. But after Jon's passing, Rebecca realizes that she must continue with the plans if the boys are to have a chance in life. Seth is robbed on the way to find his mail-order bride who never showed up. So he takes a job as the station master at Rebecca's farm to earn more money. The two begin clashing almost immediately over almost everything. Rebecca, an orphan, protects her children, b ...more
Kav
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an exciting premise to centre a series around. The Pony Express is what legends are made of. Even this eastern Canadian knows about the important role they played in getting mail across the West. Setting a romance at a newly formed Station adds the thrill of adventure and the lure of danger and that ups the tension of an already captivating plot.

Rebecca is wary but determined to make the Station a success for the sake of her sons, Seth is driven and exacting, just as determined to train u
Bonnie
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pony Express Courtship by Rhonda Gibson a Saddles And Spurs number 1 book. Before her husband died he wanted to open their place for a Pony Express Station. When he dies Rebecca Young did just that for her and her seven adopted sons and her daughter's future. Since her husband was no longer alive to run it, the Pony Express sent a station master, Seth Armstrong, to over see the station and to train the boys to be express riders. Seth works with the boys to become Riders. During his time there he ...more
June
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story about Rebecca and Seth. I especially loved learning more about the pony express and how the riders were trained. Seth had some interesting methods that Rebecca balked at.

The family dynamic was interesting. All the orphaned boys that Rebecca and her husband had adopted and how close they all were because of the shared commonality of being orphans.

The side story of Seth's mail-order bride and his determination to find her, even as he felt himself falling for Rebecca was inspiri
Hazel Robinson
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So sweet

Love the Young Family, cannot wait to read the next book in the series. Loved how Seth wanted to keep his promise to his grandmother and marry his mail order bride. Sometimes God lead us in a different direction and that is what happened with Seth. Love all of the Young boys especially Jacob the oldest and Benjamin the youngest. Fascinated with the pony express.
Harlequin Books
"Gibson has penned a sweet love story with an inspiring message that love can come when we least expect it and, sometimes, even when our plans don’t allow for it" (4 stars @ RT Book Reviews).

Miniseries: Saddles and Spurs
Val
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it. Rebecca was a little overprotective of the boys and as a mom I can understand but she needed to lighten up a little.
Marvy Herrera
I like it, wonderful story of second chance, love and family. I recomend it! :)
Madalyn Mathis
Feb 26, 2017
Sandy
Dec 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bride by Arrangement (Cowboy Creek #3)
  • Angel of the Cove
  • The Stanislaski Sisters: Natasha and Rachel (Stanislaskis #1 & 3)
  • Battles at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #4)
  • Jingle Bell Bride
  • The Victim
  • Farewell to Fairacre (Fairacre, #19)
  • An Amish Mother's Secret Past (Green Mountain Blessings #3)
  • Left to Die (A Badge of Honor Mystery #2)
  • The Blessed (Shaker, #4)
  • The Warrior's Path (The Sacketts, #3)
  • The Burning Hills
  • The Western Trail (Trail Drive, #02)
  • Flint
  • The Ghost of Buckskin Run
  • The Goodbye Quilt
  • Doctor Dearest
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
Rhonda Gibson lives in New Mexico with her husband James. She has two children and three beautiful grandchildren. Reading is something she has enjoyed her whole life and writing stemmed from that love. When she isn’t writing or reading, she enjoys gardening, beading and playing with her dog, Sheba. She speaks at conferences and local writing groups. You can visit her at www.rhondagibson.net where ...more

Saddles and Spurs (5 books)
  • Pony Express Hero (Saddles and Spurs #2)
  • Pony Express Christmas Bride (Saddles and Spurs #3)
  • Pony Express Mail-Order Bride (Saddles and Spurs #4)
  • Pony Express Special Delivery (Saddles and Spurs #5)