Start by marking “The Touch of Sage” as Want to Read:
The Touch of Sage

The Touch of Sage

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,510 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Following the death of her parents, Sage Willows had lovingly nurtured her younger sisters through childhood. She loved her sisters. She’d seen each one married, and was glad to see them settled and happy. Furthermore, she held no resentment at never having found a good man of her own to settle down with. Yet, regret is different than resentment—and far more haunting.

Still
239 pages
Published 2007 by Granite Publishing and Distribution

To ask other readers questions about The Touch of Sage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Touch of Sage

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really enjoy this one, its just a sweet story!

I love Sage and Reb, they were so cute together and had great chemistry. I LOVED the four widows as well, they each were so cute and really added a lot of charm to the story. I loved the end when the widows kidnapped Sage, so funny! My curiosity is killing me...what did the note say?? I thought the story about Ruthie was touching and added a sweetness to the story. I HOPE Marcia writes a story about Charlie, I want to see him get his HEA and I'd l
Celestine
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: western-romance
The best thing about this book was the humor offered by The Golden Girls relocated to the Old West. Sage Willows is only 23, but life has passed her by as she cared for her three younger sisters after her parents died when she was just 16. She now considers herself a spinster, devoting her life to the four older ladies who reside at the boarding house she operates. These ladies are liberated by age of the expectations of decorum, and they live it up in hilarious ways. Then they decide to meddle ...more
Tori
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-and-re-read
Love, love, LOVED IT!! I don't know what else to say. I loved Rebel and Sage. I loved the old widows. A fun, sweet love story. Probably one of my faves of MLM.

Reread 10/8/2014: I honestly couldn't remember why I loved this book so much because I've read so many since the first time. I remember now. :) The old widows are hilarious. Sage... she just breaks my heart because she is so self-sacrificing. She puts everyone else's happiness in front of her own. Reb is hot and thinks he's damaged and he
Teya Peck
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this for the second time. Oooooooh I missed it! Yummy Reb! Sweet, clean, and I love the show of how much Reb loves Sage especially the end. It has a pride and prejudice scenes to it. AWE, I just lived it and the old ladies I love those sweet women and she bring out the character of each and you just can't help but love each old lady. LOVE IT!!!

One of my favorite, and always will be each and every time I read it.LOVE IT!
Fayley
Mar 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
1/2 star. So forget the stupid immature lack of communication and unnecessary drama and the insta-love. Let's look at the friendships.

So for fun her friends had her dress up in a saloon dancing girl outfit that was low cut and above her knee. It was all-girls fun and she was fine with it. Unfortunately her friends had arranged for the man she was interested in to come around to see her in it, then they and he insisted she go out with him wearing same outfit. Okay so to put this is modern terms,
Katie W
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great Marcia Lynn McClure book!!

Sage Willows became an orphan at the young age of 16 and had to raise her 3 younger sisters. She also ran a boarding house, where a couple of very delightful widows lived. One of these ladies had a nephew who came to run her ranch...Reb also became the love interest of Sage.

Very cute, clean romance.
Haley
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I found this author.
Louise
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute romance, with a ton of humor thrown in from a group of old widowed ladies. Loved this book.
Heather
One of my top favorites!! When Reb was chasing another rider down on horseback and then began to beat the tar out of him (which he was over-reacting, but was a mess over Sage and not thinking straight)... I have to say, that was my very favorite part of the whole book! I FELT that situation, and could picture it completely, and LOOOOOVVVVED it!!!!!! And what Reb does for Sage at the end was so sweet and it actually made me tear up.. I could feel what Sage felt at that moment. Such a sweet story ...more
Kristen
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, westernish
July 6, 2012 - Re-read - still great. Knee buckling kisses, handsome cowboy. Great stuff!

June 19, 2011
I finally was able to get my hands on one of her novels. I've heard such great things about this author and my library finally got in ONE by her. The first couple chapters I was thinking, a story about four older ladies, what? Then, it got better and better. I really enjoyed it.

The only thing I didn't like is that the male character had a mustache and goatie. I like my man clean shaven. So when
Kathy
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
This one made me laugh multiple times while reading it. The antics of the old widows were hilarious to read. If you like sappy, clean, fun romances you'll enjoy this one. A broken hearted cowboy, a lonely young lady running a boarding house & 4 old widows determined to bring them together make for a delightful romp of a book.
Tara
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny! What I wouldn't give to sit around the table with those four crazy ladies playing rummy! I nearly peed my paints at the brazen hussy part near the end!
I do have to ask...who picks the covers for McClures books? Could they be more gay! I feel weird reffering them to poeple, one look at the cover and I get a look of "your kidding right".
Katie
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Marcia Lynn McClure's books. I love the way her books trap you in and you can't put them down. I know if I have one of her books I know not to make any plans because they are that great. She is my favorite author and I highly recommend all of her books.
Shellbelle19
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am a bit out of control! I know! They are so good that I can't help but go to the Library to get another!
Kelly
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, marcia-mcclure
I laughed and I cried! Such a wonderful story! And lots of kissing!
Deborah
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yet another cute story! Those widows were great!
Lori
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Absolutely enjoyed this story. It was so much fun. I couldn't put it down. A great romantic ride. Love this author's work.I loved the old women in this story. A funny read.
Anna H
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dud
This is supposed to be Christian historical fiction? OK, yes it is fiction. Yes it is an interesting plot, just _not_ in an historical or a Christian sense. OK, it does not go into anything directly immoral...but I have a higher standard than what is used in this book. Yes, the story line is pretty good...until you get to where it degrades romantically, morally, and historically:

(vague/generalized spoilers follow)
-1 star because in my opinion a Christian romance would actually follow Christian p
Kristina
Rating: 4 stars.

I loved the humour in this book. I laughed out loud from the very first page. The four widows living in Sage's boarding house were playful, mischievous characters and a barrel of laughs. I liked them very much. Rosie's "rummy rummy rummy" dance was just so funny.

Sage Willows, orphaned at 16 years of age and still single at 23, thought she'd have to live the rest of her life alone. She had already resigned herself to spinsterhood, since her options were limited. The only available
Annalisa
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The antics of the 4 widows coupled with the western romance was absolutely delightful. I was laughing out loud. I'm sure this is one I will read over and over and still enjoy just as much as the first time.

From the back cover:

After the death of her parents, Sage Willows had lovingly nurtured her younger sisters through childhood, seeing each one married and never resenting not finding herself a good man to settle down with. Yet, regret is different than resentment. Still, Sage
JR
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-i-own
Hmmm, I wasn't quite sure how to rate this book. So maybe I'll say it's 3.5 stars? It was enjoyable, yes. But I didn't swoon. :( And that's something I really want out of a romance. I want for the guy and the girl to get to know each other, spend lots of time together, have lots of almost kisses so that I'm almost dying once they finally do have that magical first kiss. And sadly, I really wasn't all that into the romance between Reb and Sage. Yes they were the typical good characters MLM writes ...more
Shauna
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Angela
Another cheesy romance. Why do I keep reading them? I get so annoyed by how the story could be really good and not embarrass me to admit I'm reading or recommend to a friend. At least it was "clean" without the heaving bosoms and all that ... but why must the guy always walk around without a shirt and be so proud of making the women-folk uncomfortable by it.

Oh well. I know that I'll keep reading them for some reason I can't explain. :)
Michelle
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving it five stars because it made me laugh AND made me cry. It's the first of Marcia's books that have done both of those. I'm usually laughing, and then sighing, and then my blood gets pumping, and then I'm sighing again! I just love that her books are just feel-good books that are easy to read and make me smile.
I promise one day after I've read every Marcia book, I'll move on to something else...
Hmmm...I hope she never stops writing. :)
Jenna
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving this author! Both books I've read have been such fun but I have to pace myself and not read everything of hers all at once.

I will admit I did laugh a little at the fact that Sage had reconciled herself to being a spinster at the ripe old age of 23. My how times have changed.

The widows are hilarious!

Near the end I was in tears. I can't say more than that without giving it away. I really enjoyed this book and can easily see myself rereading it.
Tasha
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh Goodness! This book was pure fluffy, romantic bliss. A steamy cowboy, a girl who has buried her dreams and 4 rowdy widows who love them both! Can you really go wrong? The character of Sage sucked me in immediately, and I was on the verge of tears this whole book. I have a new author to add to my favorite CLEAN romance list.

Curse you Deb for reviewing an author with ONE book in the library system. What am I gonna do now?
Catherine
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Marcia Lynn McClure Fans
I liked this book. I probably would have given it 3 1/2 stars. A quick read that was funny and entertaining.

Sage is a young girl who has given up on her dreams to marry. Reb (Rebel) is the nephew of one of the widows who live at Sage's boarding house. The widows conspire on multiple occassions to get the two of them together in funny ways.
I love this book! This is one of my favorites of Marcia's. Sage is such a great character. You can't help but feel bad for her. She's had a sad life. But the old ladies at the boardinghouse help her through the hard times. They are one of the best parts of the book. They are hiliarious! This book is made me laugh out loud throughout the whole thing. Just a great book!
Sandy
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Without a doubt, my favorite part of this book are those sweet ol' biddies and their crazy, hilarious antics! Think the women of Cranford with a Marcia flavor. The male lead is a bit domineering (as usual) but who would say no to those "commanding" kisses? Oh Marcia, please keep the books coming!
Aliesha
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my very favorites by Marcia Lynn McClure. It adds some older mischevious widdows into the romance which keeps the laughter going. All of Marcia's books have been good, but they tend to get minotinous if you read one after another so it is good to mix them up with books by other authors.
  • Jayhawk
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • The Kissing Tree
  • Before the Dawn
  • The Outer Edge of Heaven: A Love Story
  • A Secret Fire
  • A Wanted Man
  • Montana Summer
  • The List
  • Courting Miss Lancaster (The Lancaster Family #2)
  • The Commander's Desire
  • The Rejected Suitor (Clearbrook Regency, #1)
  • Towers of Brierley
  • Yesterday's Love (Yesterday's Love, #1)
  • Hearts Through Time
  • Hearts in Hiding (Haggerty Mystery, #1)
Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Marcia Lynn McClure grew up influenced by the reminiscent stories of rugged, rural Colorado farm life fascinatingly recounted to her by her parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts…tales of runaway buckboards, mule-drawn plows and dust pneumonia; verbalized images of stream-flooded meadows, frozen over in winter, where a child could peer through the crystal clear ic ...more