Start by marking “Vargic's Miscellany of Curious Maps” as Want to Read:
Vargic's Miscellany of Curious Maps

Vargic's Miscellany of Curious Maps

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
EXPLORE THE WORLD AS YOU NEVER KNEW IT WITH VARGIC'S ASTONISHING MISCELLANY OF CURIOUS MAPS.

Vargic's Miscellany is a collection of 64 maps and infographics.

See the world mapped out by stereotypes; discover the Internet in cartographical form; marvel at the maps of global technology and culture; and explore the world through infographics and statistics.

This wonderful and st
Published September 24th 2015 by Michael Joseph

Carmen
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
So fun. You could look at this for years and never get bored.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
At school, when I first started taking geography and got my first atlas I was impressed with maps, it seems impossible to create maps when you think of it, and when you see the first attempts at drawing them you will understand what I mean: maps are magic!

So back in November when I visited home, I found this gem is Virgin Mega Store, I kept flipping through it until I understood that I wasn't looking at a normal atlas! It was a statistic and information from our world written and drawn into maps
Julie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was bought as a Christmas present for my husband but I couldn't resist reading it.
It is a beautiful hardback book full of facts and statistics set out in the form of an atlas. The maps themselves are coloured like Olde Worlde style maps.
An excellent book to have on your coffee table.
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
This was really fun. Don't think that I can come up with a rating.
I guess I was expecting more. The Map of Stereotypes, shows us how narrow-minded we are, the problem is that the print is so small that you would need a magnifier to read most of it. There are a few pull out maps included. Most of these facts I am not sure about and even then, who cares.
Charlie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not at all what I expected, so hugely disappointing for this map lover. Plus, sadly, I question the credibility of some of the information. It's going to the used book store because I didn't realize soon enough to return it to Amazon.
Robert
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-18-season
A compilation of thematic maps (showing world train use, beer consumption etc.), amusing, entertaining and sobering overlays (for stereotypes, paranormal activity and disasters respectively), and original map-like word clouds displaying 'the internet' and 'gaming' and 'sports', plus other errata and infills that one could spend hours with a magnifying glass going over.
Aside from the obvious diversionary recreational use, this is an invaluable resource for tabletop gamers or genre authors due to
Kathy
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This coffee table book originally came to my attention after seeing a picture of the Map of Literature. It was visually beautiful, creative and fun to look at! I wanted a framed copy, but the only way to get the map was to buy the entire book of maps. Luckily, I love maps!

The Map of Literature is just one of several large maps. Others included are the Map of Stereotypes, Video Websites, Internet, Music, Gaming, Disasters, Corporations and Sports. There are many small and mini-maps with subjects
Alex Rosenthal
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is pretty disappointing. The mapmaking is pretty (the borders are a little busy for my taste, but ymmv), sure, but that's all it has going for it. The map of stereotypes is a hacky conceit, poorly executed. The other "fantasy maps" like the "map of video games" or "map of corporations" don't seem to be well thought out at all. It's just a bunch of names plopped down on the page, without really any logic. In other words, they do not do what maps should do: show how the different concept ...more
Emmareader
Nov 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t waste money on this. Maps with words are indecipherable.
Constantin
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
An excellent book for a light read and to give you some "fuel" for thinking. It has all sorts of different facts and very interesting content.
I really liked the unfolding maps and I was amazed to find the grand map at the end of the book.
Very well made, shows that the author did hard work in the research and creation of it.

The only "negative" thing I found about this book, is that in some of the maps, some letters are so tiny that they could not be printed correctly, thus you cannot even read th
Hayley
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty cool book. It is a book of “maps”, but really it is using a map format to covey information, i.e. the map of music or the map of the internet. The last half of the book has maps of the world showing various data, such as most popular music genre in each country, where in the world the internet is prevalent, and which countries are watched most by the NSA. Each of these has a series of facts related to the map. I really enjoyed it. Look through it if you get the chance.
Hannes
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is always great for when you want some light reading and nice maps.
Phoebe
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Read April 15, 2016. It bothers me that graphic novels come up in my Goodreads challenge count, so I'm (belatedly) removing the dates to keep my numbers less bloated.

Very cool book with creative and colorful maps. I viewed this more as 3 star material rather than 4 because while the maps are undoubtedly unique and fascinating for those of us nerdy, trivia-loving types, Vargic's labels and color schemes made them surprisingly difficult to interpret.

The large maps in the beginning are JAMMED with
Rhode
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
I don't know how they make money on this (hardcover) because the production values are high. It's a big wide coffee table book, although not enormously thick. The maps are all printed in color inside, plus there's a seperate color wall poster that's folded inside what looks like a 9x12 envelope inside the back cover. The poster alone would make a great gift.

The maps are a cobbled together gathering of various types of maps.

Fully invented: There's the infamous 'Map of the Internet' as well as ve
Rosa
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4,5 tähteä
Mmm, tämä kirja on herkkua karttaihmiselle. Olen aina pitänyt kartoista, erityisesti teemakartoista, joten tämä kirja osui ja upposi (tai ehkä ennemmin sai minut uppoamaan jonkinlaiseen karttapöllyyn, jossa unohduin tuntikausiksi tuijottamaan kiilusilmin kaikkia ihania yksityiskohtia).

Teos on selkeästi viihteellinen, koska varsinaista asiasisältöä on vähän ja se vähäkin on kirjan heikointa antia. Nippelitietominikartat olisi mielestäni voinut jättää kokonaan pois kokonaisuuden suuremm
Victoria
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, skimmed
Beautiful book, detailed beyond belief. Some of the maps fold out to poster-size yet you still need a magnifying glass to read some of the small details. Vargic gets my admiration and appreciation for the creative work he put into this. I lost myself just browsing and staring at his artwork. My personal favorites - Map of the Internet and Map of Genres. I can't say I always understood what I was looking at - but fans of maps and/or stats will eat this up.

In the back of the book are simplified w
Steven Peterson
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful work. Martin Vargic has created a set of maps that tell tales of humankind. And is delightfully quirky!

The "Map of Stereotypes." Canada is termed "Maple Syrup" and the United States "Liberty" and South America "Salsa." .Antarctica is labeled "Penguinland"; the ocean nearby is listed as "Penguin Ocean." There is a whimsy to the maps that is delightful to me.

Then, the map of sports. Cycling, bungee jumping, skateboarding, weight lifting, professional wrestling, American football, rugb
Karen
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Not just for geography nerds, this book of maps provides multiple different ways to look at the world. It contains a wealth of information in map form, including topics such as The Map of Stereotypes, The Map of Disasters, maps showing obesity versus fast food availability, or ties between prostitution, slavery, and military service. Americans can benefit from the various views of the world that level the "playing field", making all countries equal while focusing on other trends, statistics, or ...more
High Plains Library District
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, victoria
Beautiful book, detailed beyond belief. Some of the maps fold out to poster-size yet you still need a magnifying glass to read some of the small details. Vargic gets my admiration and appreciation for the creative work he put into this. I lost myself just browsing and staring at his artwork. My personal favorites - 'Map of the Internet' and 'Map of Genres.' Fans of maps and/or stats will eat this up.

In the back of the book are 'simplified' world maps comparing country stats - e.g., guns per cap
Curious Maps is my new (and probably only) favorite coffee table book that I am excited show to everyone who walks through my door.

As a collector of geographic oddities and atlases, I was immediately drawn to Vargic's unique and intricately drawn maps of literature, sports and pop culture. The maps are beautiful, frame-worthy works of art that I would love to hang in a proper library of my own one day. It is worth paging through and I can't emphasize enough how wonderful it is!
Aaron White
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a beautiful book, but the original maps at the beginning of the book were not too interesting to me. One of the largest problems was there was just way too much info packed into the tiny spaces; reading it was hard.

However, the maps that took data and mapped them on the world were very interesting and the part of the book I most enjoyed perusing.
Sande
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
And I thought I knew what a map looked like! This is creative, colorful craziness. I love The Map of Music, with its Crescendo Ocean, Acoustic Sea, Karaoke Sea and lots more. Wanna know which countries have the highest satisfaction with life? Look at the map. Maps can so beautifully show relationships, and this book is a treasure.
Nick
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A work of marvelous obsession, this collection of obscure, imaginative and hilarious maps will repay hours of staring at tiny sections of vast surreal archipelagos of human information. What it all means, I have no idea, but thanks to Mr. Vargic for assembling it.
Anna
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Amazingly detailed and creative maps. I think this dude is basically a teenager from Eastern Europe, adding the the impressiveness of this world study. I am buying it for the hilarious stereotypes map.
Leigh
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Fascinating look at world demographics, translated into graphic maps. There are some humorous takes on how folks perceive foreign regions and curious (and disturbing) maps of where the most obese, or most dangerous drivers, or something else tend to cluster.

A good book to browse.
Karen Tillis
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love maps, always have. This is a fascinating look at the world through a variety of lenses, such as stereotypes, statistics, and societal norms. The explanation of some of the maps' content was needed for clarity, but I thought this was a clever, unique concept.
Bridget
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To call it "read" is an overstatement. I read all of the descriptions, legends, and stats, but the maps are so creative and detailed that I can go back many times and find whole new details that I didn't catch before. A beautiful and fascinating work.
John Frankham
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A novel book presenting a range of world statistics in map form. High-quality production. But really just a coffee-table book with a fairly small range of data. Examples are most popular web-sites, suicide rates, drug use, best/most popular books, etc.
Gregg
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Accurate? Likely. Countless hours of perlustration? Most definitely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Louvre: All the Paintings
  • The Organic Artist: Make Your Own Paint, Paper, Pigments, Prints and More from Nature
  • The Oldest Living Things in the World
  • Everything is Its Own Reward: An All Over Coffee Collection
  • Joseph Cornell: Shadowplay. . .Eterniday
  • My Favorite Things
  • Easily Distracted
  • The History of the Book in 100 Books: The Complete Story, From Egypt to E-Book
  • The Air is on Fire

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
  • Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99