Start by marking “Free to Be Bound: Church Beyond the Color Line” as Want to Read:
Free to Be Bound: Church Beyond the Color Line

Free to Be Bound: Church Beyond the Color Line

Despite Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove's progressive worldview, he was unaware of the invisible borders separating neighborhood churches in the New South. Then, as a political candidate, he began to reach out to the black community, including a dynamic church. What he discovered forever transformed his view of the body of Christ.
Published February 5th 2008 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Free to Be Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free to Be Bound

Stephen Case
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
It's undeniable that we have a history of racial oppression in the United States. But in the context of personal salvation and personal responsibility, so it goes in the mind of many, we need to just let this go, move beyond it, maybe even stop dwelling on it and discussing it so much. Blacks and whites, the argument is sometimes made (usually in white evangelical circles), have opportunities that are theoretically equal and cultures that are different. The fact that we worship differently, in d ...more
Natalie Bullis
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book wrecked me and brought me back to life. I needed a book about racial reconciliation from the guidelines of scripture and how we're all in this together. No matter how bad it gets. God used this book in this season in my life. I recommend you read it. I was challenged deeply by its words and ideas. Praise God that we are free to be bound together in Jesus. For He is freedom and the Way.
Jamie Howison
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jonathan once told me that he wasn't convinced that this book entirely "worked," but I have to say that I respectfully disagree... it does work, largely because it is written not only out of first-hand experiences but also from the hand of one who is deeply informed politically, socially and theologically.
JD Mechelke
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A necessary read for suburban Christianity.
Julie
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jonathan's own journey from Klan country to a pre-dominantly Black church (he's white).
Drick
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove's reflections as a white person joining a black church and living and becoming part of a black community in Durham, NC. - Very insightful
Katharine Oswald