Start by marking “Destinations of a Lifetime: 225 of the World's Most Amazing Places” as Want to Read:
Destinations of a Lifetime: 225 of the World's Most Amazing Places

Destinations of a Lifetime: 225 of the World's Most Amazing Places

National Geographic takes you on a photographic tour of the world’s most spectacular destinations, inspiring tangible ideas for your next trip. Hundreds of the most breathtaking locales—both natural and man-made—are illustrated with vivid images taken by the organization's world-class photographers. These images, coupled with evocative text, feature a plethora of visual wo ...more
Published October 27th 2015 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Destinations of a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destinations of a Lifetime

Start your review of Destinations of a Lifetime: 225 of the World's Most Amazing Places
Gina
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
I am one of those people who is quite happy at home. With neither the funds to travel, nor the time to do so, I do love reading about other places and destinations.

This book follows in National Geographic's tradition of superior photography and writing. If you love to travel, you may get some great ideas from this book for your next adventure. If you're a homebody like me, you'll love seeing what else is out there as you travel vicariously through this book.
Andrew Brennan
In this book I learned that Hudson Valley is truely a beautiful place. In the fall in Hudson Valley the mountinside turns beautiful shades of orange and brown. Also there are many guest atracions such as observatories and restaurants. Hudson Valley is a very nice place to visit.
Ashley
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Take a nice break from your everyday routine and be come an armchair traveler all around the world. Where to? This book will give you more than enough ideas and inspirations to feed your wanderlust. National Geographic lives up to their reputation by giving you amazing destinations to visit broken down into categories of things to see around the world: nature unbound, hand of man, sea & shore, mountain majesty and town & country. As if that isn't enough, they also include their own version of to ...more
Gonçalo
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quite comprehensive guide that every globetrotter should own and proudly display on top of a coffee table for future travel endeavours.

From well-known places like Alhambra, Sagrada Familia, Bagan and Machu Picchu to more hidden gems such as Majlis al Jinn, Nyungwe Forest National Park or Yap Island, this tome is embezelled by stunning photography from National Geographic Society reputable photographers.

This visually attractive book adequately divided into six main categories which show the div
Audrey E.L.
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I read a few pages every night right before bed and it was such an amazing and almost therapeutic way to get out of my own head.

Instead of browsing my phone and focusing on the worlds many problems or thinking of all the things I need to get done, this book allowed me to focus on a different incredible place in the world every night, or every couple of minutes if I chose to keep reading for awhile. It’s like a bedtime story for adults. It had such great facts and s
Rahul
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved browsing through the pages though i had clearly high expectations from this book and i always wanted to lay my hands on this.. Its a bulky stuff and you need lot of time in your hands to slowly suck up the stuff that this book has to offer.. I must say its a must have in your collection if you are a travel buff. Overall i like to read this book again and again as it gives you insights everytime you open this book
Debra
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to let this go. The holiday is heating up and I will not be able to take the time that this book deserves. What I have enjoyed is the amazing oversize photographs and the information on each photo. Now I have even more places that I would like to see.
Kathleen Messmer
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the images in this book are stunningly beautiful, a lot of them don’t invoke in me the desire to visit the destinations. However, there are a few I’ve never heard of and some tiny countries that do inspire me.
Kate Casserly
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great book to keep and plan and dream
Anne Washington
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Great. Very interesting.
Les Reynolds
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of really amazing places, and wonderful photography.
S.
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful!
Jen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice read

This was nice to borrow from the library and read. Nothing really special or new, but interesting enough to look at.
Stefanie
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best Christmas present ever. I've bookmarked so many pages already.
Stephen
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Atypical locales

Not the usual spots. Def some off the beaten path locations. You won’t find typical eifel tower or great wall recommendations.
Ashani  Hettige
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I will die soon without seeing any of these beautiful places !! So beautifully photographed !!
A lot of "wow factors". A great coffee table book !!
tom Sparks
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hoping to a third of these

Great place to find a trip I used a I pad to read my kinda did not do the color photos justice
Jennifer Guest
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a decent book, but I like The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (Lonely Planet) much better.
Scott Thomas
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Makes you want to drop everything and go.
RumBelle
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I love National Geographic books, firstly because of their fantastic pictures, secondly because of their topics. This book, on some of the worlds most amazing destinations was fascinating. It took you all over the world, breaking down into categories like mountains and beaches. The photography was phenomenal, some of my favorites were of Petra, various places in Germany, the painted hills and Marseilles. A great book to just flip through and read about what interests you.
Marathon County Public Library
This book will give you more than enough ideas and inspirations to feed your wanderlust. National Geographic lives up to their reputation by giving you amazing destinations to visit broken down into categories of things to see around the world: nature unbound, hand of man, sea & shore, mountain majesty and town & country. As if that isn't enough, they also include their own version of top ten visits for all sorts of things, one of which is spectacular bookstores! The information is very helpful ...more
Lorraine
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who like to travel, armchair or actual.
Stunning photography! The "My Shot"photographs are amazing and the information about "My Shot" written by the photographer of that 'Shot' is fascinating. One photographer attached his camera to a kite and as the kite flew over the subject, he took the picture. Fantastic! Excellent travel book. 'Unforgettable Experiences' has information about the location pictured. 'Visit like a local' reveals where to go to get a great local meal or to drink the wine produced in that area because only a short s ...more
Elaine
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5
The pictures were beautiful, the information was interesting. They told you the best time of the year to visit each place and they also had a section at the end of each destination that said visit like a local. It told you where to go. Places to eat and favorite things to eat.

One of the locations was the Cinque Terra in Italy. They suggested trying a particular wine that could only be found in that area.
Kristine
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well laid out with enough info to satiate but not overwhelming. I liked the map in the beginning serving as a visual index. The tips could be helpful for beginning to plan an adventure, but I would use them more as a way to know the overcrowded times of year to avoid these spots.
Leonard
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Neat book with lots of photos of some of the most interesting, unusual, and spectacular places in the world. I was pleased to see 4 pages of the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho included.
Ann Tracy
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
loved this book, it really took me away and gave me dreams and hopes. large book with gorgeous photographs.
Stacie
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I looked atthe gorgeous pictures. What a trip these places would be! Read in Orlando FL
Mary Taylor
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
so many unusual places in the world. If only for the time and money...
Alisha
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Great pictures and information, and a good spread from around the world.
Sandybear76
This was a gorgeous book!!! I would love to see all the places myself but that is not possible.

• The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World
  • Seven Signs of Life: Stories from an Intensive Care Doctor
  • Aircraft Command Techniques: Gaining Leadership Skills to Fly the Left Seat
  • BECOMING CAPTAIN: The Command UPGRADE Guide
  • Kolymsky Heights
  • An Intimate History of Killing: Face-to-Face Killing in Twentieth Century Warfare
  • Guy Gibson: Legend of the Dam Busters (British Flying Legends Book 1)
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • Black Box: Inside the World's Worst Air Crashes
  • El entrenador mental (Desarrollo personal)
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • Thirty Seconds to Impact
  • Redefining Airmanship
  • Emergency! Crisis on the Flight Deck
  • Clásicos para la vida: Una pequeña biblioteca ideal
  • The Glass Cage: How Our Computers Are Changing Us
  • The Client (Penguin Readers)
  • Blue Christmas (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #3)