Start by marking “Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best” as Want to Read:
Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best

Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best

It's been 10 years since the last book in the Teen Ink series Written in the Dirt was published. Now, a whole new batch of teen writers has emerged with their own unique voices. Leave This Song Behind features the best poetry submitted by those writers to Teen Ink over the last five years. The pieces in this book were chosen because they were so powerful that they stood ou ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by Hci

To ask other readers questions about Leave This Song Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leave This Song Behind

Trinity Irwin
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Leave This Song Behind” is a LOVELY collection of poems all written by teenagers. There is so much emotion within each one and a hidden story on each page that I thoroughly enjoyed getting to ponder.

photo 2876C997-02CB-4F60-A867-04B27C736F7A_zpsipur426j.gif

Poems are truly a whole other language than the one we speak on a constant basis. It aids in our escape to a place only our mind will allow us to go. A place where emotions can be felt in such an extreme way that is too beautiful for any other form.

photo F12C1515-FDF4-4563-89C1-A0F3727466EA_zps4se3nso2.gif

I want to thank “TEEN INK BOOK” for putting this
[Shai] Bibliophage
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leave This Song Behind is a collection of poems that depicts different life situations teens experiences: such as depression, problems with parents, sexuality and love issues, to name a few. Teen poetry but a young adult, such as I, still can relate to some of the poems in this book.

Several of these poems that I associate myself into are: Write What You Know by Mandy Seiner; Charcoal Boat by Callie Zimmerman; A Letter to the Past, Present, and Future Selves by Sofia Wesley; and Chinese Politics
Hirdesh
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful."

Thanks to Netgalley.
Leave This song Behind- Epic poetry by great writers.
Wonderful piece of imagination and flawless enthuciasm.
I've enjoyed some poems, eminence and Juvenile and their propaganda & possessions wrapped into poetry.

*Don;t fall in love
Don;t fall in love with a girls who reads
she'll overanalyze your every word
and she ll nevr understand why
people aren;t paperback
and she'll write into your corners
search for a plot into y
Glire
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
“You aren't just runny punctuation. You are the story.”

Leyendo esto me di cuenta de dos cosas:

1.- Los adolescentes pueden ser los peores poetas del mundo. Mucho egocentrismo y poco estilo literario propio.

2.- Los adolescentes pueden ser los mejores poetas del mundo. Sienten todo tan apasionadamente. (Y ¿qué es la poesía si no una muestra de pasión?)

No importa si el poema trata acerca del amor, de la muerte o de un lavamanos que gotea; puedes sentir la emoción tras las palabras, la sinceri
Layla (Between the Lines)
“Don't fall in love with a girl who reads because she'll fall in love with last chapters and final words and the ending will always be her favourite part.”

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Leave This Song Behind is a carefully curated collection of some of Teen Ink's best poetry submissions over the years. The submissions are categorized under common themes, senses, and emotions, but there is still a variety o
Clyo (Las Páginas de Alex)
I've been trying to write this for half an hour, but I think I finally got it straight.

Thank you very much to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with a copy of this book.

This is a poetry collection that puts together some of the best submitions Teen Ink has had over some years. It's divided according to the different types of narrative, and it's really interesting to read.

Some of this poems are written with such complexity I had some trouble remembering teenagers wrote them. I was ca
Lili  Marcus
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
Leave this Song Behind is a collection of poems written by teenagers.

When I was younger, I consider myself more of a poet than a novelist. I don't know what happened why i lost my passion and so I was so excited to read this collection of poems. I read all of them in one sitting. Then I felt like something is wrong, I couldn't figure it out that I couldn't even write a review. So I reread it again because I just so love reading poems. :) This time though, I read them differently. A poem a day. O
Rebecca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
I have this a 2/5 stars. I didn’t really care for any of these poems. None of them stuck out to me or made me feel much. I liked how they wrote about different things, I didn’t dislike them but I didn’t totally like them either. I just found them to be okay. Thank you to net galley for this earc.
Ariana
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

This was a poetry collection that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. It is a wonderful and broad compendium of some of the fantastic teenage voices in the literary world. Full of beautiful prose and sentiment, these poems were stunningly thought-provoking and held such meaning and depth. It definitely shows the true power and significance of the written word, particularly that which comes from the mind of a young person. Each poem is so poignant and pure, which s
Ankita Singh
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
First of all, thanks to NetGalley and TeenInk for giving me a chance to read and review this book!

Leave This Song Behind is a collection of absolutely beautiful and meaningful poems!

The fact that all of the poems are written by teenagers only adds to its charms.

I enjoyed all of the poems. They were deep, meaningful and absolutely beautiful.

Though I did enjoy them all, some of them became my favorites. 'Year Of The Dragon by Miriam Himelstein', 'A Letter to the Past, Present and Future Selves by
Cindy Montenegro
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!!!

Reading this book took me back to my youth. And to the youth I never got to experience. There was so much feelings. So much that it claws to my heart.

Honestly, however, the poems that started the book were not as powerful as the ones in the middle, so other readers might find it hard to read it continuously. It's not my first time to read a book of poetry, but I can say that I like how the poems were grouped in a way that could build up the emotions of the readers.

The only thing th
Dezel Marie Ocampo
2.5 stars!

"Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful."

*Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with a copy of this book.*

Another poetry book I finished last week this time a collection of entries submitted by teenagers to Teen Ink. Some of the best were chosen and put together to create this book.

I admit that I found this one different from the other poetry books I've read but this is as lovely just the same. Sometimes I forgot that teenagers actually wrote t
Zara
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teens like this need more recognition.
Literati Girl
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley, reviewed
Poetry is not just for grown-ups or those trying to woo a lover. The Leave This Song Behind collection of teen poetry by Teen Ink is proof that poetry can be found everywhere in life.

The collection features some of the best teen poetry of today. Reflecting teen culture, many of the poems adhere to a more free-verse style as is evident in modern slams.

This collection contains some real gems of poetry, like Bluebells, Dear Michaelangelo, Don't Fall In Love, and A Letter To The Past, Present, and
Erin
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I am not going to mince my words. This was AWESOME! I am a big fan of poetry and make it a part of my English classroom on a daily basis. A lot of the poems had a very free-verse, 'slam' type of style that really illustrated the authentic voices of teens today. I had two personal favorites, 'Dear Michelangelo', and this poem, which I will post;

I'll massage your tense shoulders

I've never wanted to be
help but wonder
ho
ReadingWhiskers
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book very much! I have recently been really into poetry and into writing poetry as well and a lot of these poems that these teenagers wrote were magnificent!! Being a teenager, I could relate to a lot of what they were saying. Another thing I loved about this book was how organized it was from poem to poem, it was a very simple/easy read and I found my self going to this book when I was in a very poetic mood and just wanted to hear someone else's views on life. I'm sorry th ...more
Palabasalibro
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for poetry books, so I really wanted to read this one.
I wasn't disappointed cause I really liked the book.

However I wish it had more inspirational works in them than some other poems in there.

I did have a favorite, it was 'a letter to the past, present and future selves'. Reading the book, I wished there were more works like that in there.
Angie
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm glad that teens out there are finding ways to get their voices heard.
There were some great poems in here. The ones that stuck out the most to. E were the ones about issues. Sexuality, health, etc.

These teens have a way with words, with syntax, that their older counterparts may not grasp.
Hristina
If this is the future of poetry, then sign me up. Such wonderful, fun and interesting poems from a fresh perspective. I can't even pick a favorite one.
Christine
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-books, dnf, poem
I just couldn't continue reading this.
Stacie
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leave This Song Behind, edited by John Meyer, Stephanie Meyer, Adam Halwitz & Cindy Spertner, is a poetry collection comprised of the best Teen Ink poems written in the last five years. Teen Ink is a monthly poetry magazine which accepts submissions from young writers age 13-19 years old. Teen Ink also has a thriving web community (www.teenink.com) with writer's forums, workshops, contests and guides to summer & college programs.

Even before reading this collection of poems, I was applau
Bran Diyanne
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leave This Song Behind is a published book of teen written poetry. April is National Poetry Month and what better way to celebrate this then by reading a book of poetry written by today's youth.

It's been 10 years since the last book in the Teen Ink series Written in the Dirt was published. Today's teen writers have emerged with their own unique voices. Leave This Song Behind features some great poetry submitted by those writers to Teen Ink over the last five years.

I was lucky enough to get the o
DF
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
She

She sometimes makes me want to tense the tendors on my neck and send my head smashing into my keyboard and maybe my skin and bones would, as they snapped and fractired, hit just the right keys and type a jumbed ode to beauty and wealth, forgotten forever when the circuits spark and smoke and the little copper nodes on the hard drive dig into my eyebrow and its brittle white pastic shell snaps and splinters.

Charles S. Siler

I kept going back to this particular piece of the book for maybe three
Tabinda Mustershad
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Write What You Know

don’t know calculus.
I don’t know why the
quadratic formula is important.
I don’t know what they put
in hot dogs or how
to make people like me,
and despite 150 hours
spent sitting in a classroom,
I still don’t know anything
about chemistry.

But I do know how
to make coffee.
I know how to make
my best friend laugh.
I know how to properly
annotate a text (thanks
to my ninth-grade English teacher)
and I know what makes
rainbows appear.
I know why Simon Bolivar
said “Let’s go, as fast as
we can. No
Eline
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pages: 220

Genre: poetry

Synopsis
"Leave this song behind" features the best poetry from many teen writers that has contributed to Teen Ink. The topics and styles varies widely, and all the poems are divided into seven sections based on techniques and theme. In this collection is all from simple, thought-provoking poems to longer ones that paint vivid images with their carefully selected words.

My thoughts
Rating out of five:

I think there's something a lot of "adult" poets can learn from these teen
Kathy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best certainly lives up to its name. There is no shortage of talent here and much skill to be admired.

The teens show their ability to poignantly, humorously, or anything in between, evoke the pictures in your mind, the feelings, and the emotions they are describing or documenting. Some of these poems are quite raw, some quiet, some painful, some joyful. There is something for everyone here because poetry is, and is supposed to represent, life.

The book
Karen Lewis
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poetry is a powerful way to share, and these poems leap from the page to embrace the lost, the yearning, the hopeful, and - not least - those ready to express their own truth by writing poems. Top pick for "back to school" season.

LEAVE THIS SONG BEHIND brings together diverse teen poets. Poems speak to the heart of life experiences including: love, death, friendship, coming out, yearning, life, identity, war/peace, healing, suicide, and hope. Essential for every library and high school, because
Kevin Hogan
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as an ARC via NetGalley.

This collection of Teen Poetry by Teen Ink magazine really runs the gamut. It's organized stylistically. None of the poems are terribly long, but most have something to sink your teeth into. Not every poem is amazing, but even the iffier ones tend to have the moment of clarity when something comes into focus using unexpected words in juxtaposition. This is what really good poetry does (in my opinion), and is much harder to define than to demonstrate.

There
Kevin Hogan
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as an ARC via NetGalley.

There
Michelle
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Ahhhh how I love poetry collections! It was so inspiring to see that it was people like me who wrote these poems, and it really got me into that poetry-obsessed mind frame (you all know what I mean, am I the only one that listens to Shane Koyczan on repeat after reading some good poetry?)

Of course, some were better than others, some resonated with me and some dissipated, but I think this is a really good one to keep on your shelf/in your library for reference when you're feeling alone.

« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Why Can't We Just Play?: What I Did When I Realized My Kids Were Way Too Busy
  • Levon a
  • New York, 1960
  • How Not to Be My Patient: A Physician's Secrets for Staying Healthy and Surviving Any Diagnosis
  • Emily: My True Story of Chronic Illness and Missing Out On Life
  • Seasonal Roads
  • Dreams Are Unfinished Thoughts: My Memoirs of David Reilly & God Lives Underwater
  • The Sadness
  • Mini Myths: Good Job, Athena!
  • Knuckleball: The History of the Unhittable Pitch
  • The Awkward Ozarker: A Curious Tale of Self-Reinvention in a Scantily Settled Land
  • 523 Ways to Be Awesome
  • The Kaminsky Cure
  • The Misunderstood Mister Yeti
  • Dark Dining
  • Pirate Tales
  • Murder at the Mansion
  • Summer in the Invisible City
TeenInk books are the product of more than 300,000 student submissions sent to TeenInk magazine during the past eleven years. This nonprofit monthly publication is read by 3.5 million teens in thousands of schools nationwide. Since its inception, TeenInk (formerly The 21st Century) has published more than 25,000 students. All the pieces in this book are drawn from this wellspring of prose, poetry, ...more