Start by marking “Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best” as Want to Read:
Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best

Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best

It's been 10 years since the last book in the Teen Ink series Written in the Dirt was published. Now, a whole new batch of teen writers has emerged with their own unique voices. Leave This Song Behind features the best poetry submitted by those writers to Teen Ink over the last five years.

The pieces in this book were chosen because they were so powerful that they stood o
Published April 26th 2016 by Health Communications Inc

To ask other readers questions about Leave This Song Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leave This Song Behind

Start your review of Leave This Song Behind: Teen Poetry at Its Best
Trinity Irwin
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Leave This Song Behind” is a LOVELY collection of poems all written by teenagers. There is so much emotion within each one and a hidden story on each page that I thoroughly enjoyed getting to ponder.

photo 2876C997-02CB-4F60-A867-04B27C736F7A_zpsipur426j.gif

Poems are truly a whole other language than the one we speak on a constant basis. It aids in our escape to a place only our mind will allow us to go. A place where emotions can be felt in such an extreme way that is too beautiful for any other form.

photo F12C1515-FDF4-4563-89C1-A0F3727466EA_zps4se3nso2.gif

I want to thank “TEEN INK BOOK” for puttin
[Shai] Bibliophage
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leave This Song Behind is a collection of poems that depicts different life situations teens experiences: such as depression, problems with parents, sexuality and love issues, to name a few. Teen poetry but a young adult, such as I, still can relate to some of the poems in this book.

Several of these poems that I associate myself into are: Write What You Know by Mandy Seiner; Charcoal Boat by Callie Zimmerman; A Letter to the Past, Present, and Future Selves by Sofia Wesley; and Chinese Politics
Hirdesh
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful."

Thanks to Netgalley.
Leave This song Behind- Epic poetry by great writers.
Wonderful piece of imagination and flawless enthuciasm.
I've enjoyed some poems, eminence and Juvenile and their propaganda & possessions wrapped into poetry.

*Don;t fall in love
Don;t fall in love with a girls who reads
she'll overanalyze your every word
and she ll nevr understand why
people aren;t paperback
and she'll write into your corners
search for a plot into your
Ariana
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

This was a poetry collection that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. It is a wonderful and broad compendium of some of the fantastic teenage voices in the literary world. Full of beautiful prose and sentiment, these poems were stunningly thought-provoking and held such meaning and depth. It definitely shows the true power and significance of the written word, particularly that which comes from the mind of a young person. Each poem is so poignant and pure, which s
Layla (Between the Lines)
“Don't fall in love with a girl who reads because she'll fall in love with last chapters and final words and the ending will always be her favourite part.”

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Leave This Song Behind is a carefully curated collection of some of Teen Ink's best poetry submissions over the years. The submissions are categorized under common themes, senses, and emotions, but there is still a variety o
Clyo (Las Páginas de Alex)
I've been trying to write this for half an hour, but I think I finally got it straight.

Thank you very much to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with a copy of this book.

This is a poetry collection that puts together some of the best submitions Teen Ink has had over some years. It's divided according to the different types of narrative, and it's really interesting to read.

Some of this poems are written with such complexity I had some trouble remembering teenagers wrote them. I was ca
Lili  Marcus
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
Leave this Song Behind is a collection of poems written by teenagers.

When I was younger, I consider myself more of a poet than a novelist. I don't know what happened why i lost my passion and so I was so excited to read this collection of poems. I read all of them in one sitting. Then I felt like something is wrong, I couldn't figure it out that I couldn't even write a review. So I reread it again because I just so love reading poems. :) This time though, I read them differently. A poem a day. O
Becca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
I have this a 2/5 stars. I didn’t really care for any of these poems. None of them stuck out to me or made me feel much. I liked how they wrote about different things, I didn’t dislike them but I didn’t totally like them either. I just found them to be okay. Thank you to net galley for this earc.
Ankita Singh
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
First of all, thanks to NetGalley and TeenInk for giving me a chance to read and review this book!

Leave This Song Behind is a collection of absolutely beautiful and meaningful poems!

The fact that all of the poems are written by teenagers only adds to its charms.

I enjoyed all of the poems. They were deep, meaningful and absolutely beautiful.

Though I did enjoy them all, some of them became my favorites. 'Year Of The Dragon by Miriam Himelstein', 'A Letter to the Past, Present and Future Selves by
Cindy
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!!!

Reading this book took me back to my youth. And to the youth I never got to experience. There was so much feelings. So much that it claws to my heart.

Honestly, however, the poems that started the book were not as powerful as the ones in the middle, so other readers might find it hard to read it continuously. It's not my first time to read a book of poetry, but I can say that I like how the poems were grouped in a way that could build up the emotions of the readers.

The only thing th
Elena
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked some of the poems in here, and I like the idea of how it is young writers poetry. However I didn't like the method that was used to split the poems into categorises. I think instead of being split up because of the way they were constructed or written, they should have been split into different feelings, themes and experiences that the poems were talking about.

I did enjoy reading the poems, but the categorising method just made it feel like the poem were being organised randomly and were
Kris
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to #netgalley for providing me with a copy in return for an honest review.

There is some absolutely amazing poetry in here. As with any anthology, there were some that I liked more than others, but overall, the quality here is high. My personal favorites were The Sistine Closet, Pomegranate, Don’t Fall in Love, Nine months and all the seconds, and I’ll massage your tense shoulders.

There were some issues with organization and formatting, but the content is excellent.
Dezel Marie Ocampo
2.5 stars!

"Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful."

*Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with a copy of this book.*

Another poetry book I finished last week this time a collection of entries submitted by teenagers to Teen Ink. Some of the best were chosen and put together to create this book.

I admit that I found this one different from the other poetry books I've read but this is as lovely just the same. Sometimes I forgot that teenagers actually wrote
Heather
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed most of these poems but, it took me a little longer to read than normal. Maybe if it would’ve been more organized into related sections I wouldn’t have been a little confused on the rest of them. However, the poetry was very well written and I would read more from the majority of the poets.
Ann T
May 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Thank you HCI Books and Netgalley for this ARC.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book of poetry, written by a variety of people and many teens.
A lovely book that has encourage me to read more of this genre.
Zara
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teens like this need more recognition.
Literati Girl
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, reviewed, netgalley
Poetry is not just for grown-ups or those trying to woo a lover. The Leave This Song Behind collection of teen poetry by Teen Ink is proof that poetry can be found everywhere in life.

The collection features some of the best teen poetry of today. Reflecting teen culture, many of the poems adhere to a more free-verse style as is evident in modern slams.

This collection contains some real gems of poetry, like Bluebells, Dear Michaelangelo, Don't Fall In Love, and A Letter To The Past, Present, and
Erin
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am not going to mince my words. This was AWESOME! I am a big fan of poetry and make it a part of my English classroom on a daily basis. A lot of the poems had a very free-verse, 'slam' type of style that really illustrated the authentic voices of teens today. I had two personal favorites, 'Dear Michelangelo', and this poem, which I will post;

I'll massage your tense shoulders

I've never wanted to be
help but wonder
h
ReadingWhiskers
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book very much! I have recently been really into poetry and into writing poetry as well and a lot of these poems that these teenagers wrote were magnificent!! Being a teenager, I could relate to a lot of what they were saying. Another thing I loved about this book was how organized it was from poem to poem, it was a very simple/easy read and I found my self going to this book when I was in a very poetic mood and just wanted to hear someone else's views on life. I'm sorry th ...more
Palabasalibro
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for poetry books, so I really wanted to read this one.
I wasn't disappointed cause I really liked the book.

However I wish it had more inspirational works in them than some other poems in there.

I did have a favorite, it was 'a letter to the past, present and future selves'. Reading the book, I wished there were more works like that in there.
Debbie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2-stars
*2.5 stars
This was interesting and quick to read. Every poem is lyrical and have beautiful description, and every poem is written by someone else. I do feel like I would have enjoyed it more in a different format or if the ebook I read, was more organized like a paperback. I couldn’t always figure out if a sentence was supposed to be on a certain line or if it wasn’t.
Angelia Katsianos
I'm glad that teens out there are finding ways to get their voices heard.
There were some great poems in here. The ones that stuck out the most to. E were the ones about issues. Sexuality, health, etc.

These teens have a way with words, with syntax, that their older counterparts may not grasp.
Hristina
If this is the future of poetry, then sign me up. Such wonderful, fun and interesting poems from a fresh perspective. I can't even pick a favorite one.
Tine’s Reviews
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-books, dnf, poem
I just couldn't continue reading this.
Stacie
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leave This Song Behind, edited by John Meyer, Stephanie Meyer, Adam Halwitz & Cindy Spertner, is a poetry collection comprised of the best Teen Ink poems written in the last five years. Teen Ink is a monthly poetry magazine which accepts submissions from young writers age 13-19 years old. Teen Ink also has a thriving web community (www.teenink.com) with writer's forums, workshops, contests and guides to summer & college programs.

Even before reading this collection of poems, I was applauding Tee
Krystal Ortiz
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: etec545class5
This poetry collection, compiled by the editors of Teen Ink, was a surprising and refreshing read. The quality and content of the poetry was at a much higher caliber than I expected for high school students. The poetry collected and representing a unique array of Teen Ink's writers was very sophisticated, very mature and stylistically clever, clearly the best of the best. Sometimes in reading the poems, I honestly would forget I was reading something written by a teenager. Many of the poems had ...more
Bran Diyanne
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leave This Song Behind is a published book of teen written poetry. April is National Poetry Month and what better way to celebrate this then by reading a book of poetry written by today's youth.

It's been 10 years since the last book in the Teen Ink series Written in the Dirt was published. Today's teen writers have emerged with their own unique voices. Leave This Song Behind features some great poetry submitted by those writers to Teen Ink over the last five years.

I was lucky enough to get the o
D_Fox
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
She

She sometimes makes me want to tense the tendors on my neck and send my head smashing into my keyboard and maybe my skin and bones would, as they snapped and fractired, hit just the right keys and type a jumbed ode to beauty and wealth, forgotten forever when the circuits spark and smoke and the little copper nodes on the hard drive dig into my eyebrow and its brittle white pastic shell snaps and splinters.

Charles S. Siler

I kept going back to this particular piece of the book for maybe three
Tabinda Mustershad
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Write What You Know

don’t know calculus.
I don’t know why the
quadratic formula is important.
I don’t know what they put
in hot dogs or how
to make people like me,
and despite 150 hours
spent sitting in a classroom,
I still don’t know anything
about chemistry.

But I do know how
to make coffee.
I know how to make
my best friend laugh.
I know how to properly
annotate a text (thanks
to my ninth-grade English teacher)
and I know what makes
rainbows appear.
I know why Simon Bolivar
said “Let’s go, as fast as
we can. No
Eline
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, diversity
Pages: 220

Genre: poetry

Synopsis
"Leave this song behind" features the best poetry from many teen writers that has contributed to Teen Ink. The topics and styles varies widely, and all the poems are divided into seven sections based on techniques and theme. In this collection is all from simple, thought-provoking poems to longer ones that paint vivid images with their carefully selected words.

My thoughts
Rating out of five:

I think there's something a lot of "adult" poets can learn from these teen
« previous 1 3 next »

• Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The Future
  • Words with Wings
  • Let Me Hear a Rhyme
  • Between You and These Bones
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • Naked Lunch
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Where the Line Bleeds
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Clatter