Start by marking “The Science of Everyday Life: Why Teapots Dribble, Toast Burns and Light Bulbs Shine” as Want to Read:

Have you ever wondered why ice floats and water is such a freaky liquid? Or why chillies and mustard are both hot but in different ways? Or why microwaves don't cook from the inside out?

In this fascinating scientific tour of household objects, The One Show presenter and all-round Science Bloke Marty Jopson has the answer to all of these, and many more, baffling questio

Published September 17th 2015 by Michael O'Mara (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Everyday Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Everyday Life

Start your review of The Science of Everyday Life: Why Teapots Dribble, Toast Burns and Light Bulbs Shine
Cheese
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the audio book.

Fantastic narration, none of that dramatic reading like all the US narrators, just pure science.

Some lovely trinkets in here of every day science, a nice listen.
Nicola
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love a science book that can make science interesting. And even better, it relates to the everyday stuff we encounter on a daily basis! Something that everyone can relate to making science accessible to everyone and it definitely stirred an interest in me. I’ve always loved science anyway but it didn’t stop this book from being intriguing and enthralling and had me wanting to read more and more as my mind was blown by things I’ve scarcely even thought about as the science of my everyday life. ...more
Sam
I love books like this that bring science to the masses without oversimplifying or being patronising but instead making science real and relevant. As a science geek I did know some of this, particularly the natural science bits (although the science behind composting was new and, now that I have gardens of my own, very useful) but there were plenty of moments of ‘ooooo really’ and ‘well, I didn’t know that!’. I was particularly enamoured with the science behind a drippy teapot and how to fix it ...more
Alexandru
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful book when you have kids asking you questions about rainbows, spiders and why boomerangs return to you. Some of the explanations were already known to me, still it is a fun book that is easy to read.
Chris
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun easy to read book. It's great for anyone who is curious about the world around them. The explanations were fairly easy to follow. ...more
Carlos Martinez
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Great fun, and pitched at the perfect level for a relative newcomer. Listened to the audiobook; will have to go through the text to get a bit more detail.
Annette Jordan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sci-fi, 2017
A clear and concise look at the science behind the things that surround us every day, this was a really interesting and well executed book. Taking in aspects of physics, chemistry and biology with real world applications familiar to every reader, and written in an easy to understand, almost conversational style , this is a science book for everyone, even those with little or no background knowledge. The array of topics is diverse, ranging from kitchen devices to the colour change of leaves in Au ...more
Santhosh
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I initially thought the book was slightly dry, it did end up growing on me once I got into topics that I personally found interesting. Physics, chemistry and botany abound within simple, concise explanations. While it's about everyday science, Jopson doesn't oversimplify the concepts, which is a common mistake such books make.

There were enough moments of "why did I never think of thinking about that" and "oh, of course!" and "wow, that's interesting" to make this an interesting enough gra
Lee Penney
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it

This isn’t the sort of book I’d normally pick up in audio format, as it’s so short (at four hours). Even in paperback it would be a slim thing coming in at only 224 pages. It does make it quick to get through though.

As it was available on an offer though, I took the chance.

This style of book if fairly common — bitesize science — where the author simple rattles through a bunch of facts at breakneck speed. They’re deeply unsatisfying.

This started off that way and I was all ready to give it a negat
Gareth
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book was fantastic. Everything you can think of is explained in a detail which is not too extensive but sufficient enough that you can look into it further or explain it to your kids. For example, the final part is about how rainbows are formed. I have read about this is previous books to a point where it just becomes boring, however in this one it is succinct enough that you get all you need to know.

The only reason that i didn't give it 5 stars is that i became a bit bored with the kitchen
mkk
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I absolutely love books that explain everyday phenomena, it imparts you with a sense of appreciation for the people behind the discoveries and the very aspect of nature that brings it forth. It’s also worth acknowledging the layman terminology used to better cater to all audiences , including science students. I’ve learned a lot of new things that will possibly make for good conversation (if my memory will allow it ha-ha)
The Book Grocer
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchase The Science of Everyday Life here for just $10!

This is a great book. Providing an amazing insight into many of the scientific processes that allow us and nature to function every day. Very interesting and easy to understand.

Alicia, The Book Grocer
Alina Sheffona
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was greatly interesting. Every question was answered in a way that my dumb brain could understand well. I was kinda confused as to why so many of the questions were related to food even outside of the food category. Even then, this book was wholesome and interesting. If u have a curious mind and wld like to finally start acting all ravenclawish, u shld pick this book up. Thank you dear author, u have fulfilled my many curiosities.
Nuno
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I think the style of book, with the very short sections on each topic, threw me off a little in beginning but it became more established afterwards. However the attempts at humour still kept making it a bit awkward - I'd say maybe I found maybe 10% of them funny. About the science, I can't say it was all equally interesting, but some nuggets of knowledge will definitely stay with me. ...more
Randy Hsieh
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pop science - it makes you feel a little smarter after reading/listening to it.
There were some things I already knew, some new ones and some myth breaking.
It makes me wonder about how we approach science from an education point of view.
I remember enough from my high school days that I could follow his explanations.
I might have been more interested in science if I had started with his book.
Sally Faith
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I nearly lost interest in the first chapter which was focussed on food and therefore an awful lot of chemical terms. It’s not that I’m not interested in chemistry, just that it’s not really my idea of a relaxing and entertaining read! However things picked up and I ended up enjoying the mass of fascinating snippets that I shall now use to try the patience of my family for many weeks to come!
Carl
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
A nice bit of fun that's read well. Clearly explained science and touched on lots of interesting areas; many people will know at least some of what is written here, but probably everyone can learn something from this book. The writer is trying hard to be funny - sometimes the humour works, but when it very much didn't at least it made for a friendly tone. ...more
Martin Watts
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scientific facts to make you think

A fascinating collection of observations and explanations, guaranteed to make you think. For example until I read this I had never considered why thunder rumbles.
Karen
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informing and entertaining book!

There are so many things that I have learnt while reading this book and the humour of the author has kept me interested. I thoroughly recommend to anyone looking to learn about the world around them.
Lisianthus Lee
Jul 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
If you have read what einstein told his cook by robert wolke, it will be unwise to invest your time in this book. The scientific information was either too scanty at times or confounding to be easily grasped by a layperson like me.
George Peryer
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read. Marty Jopson has got the perfect ballance between humour and science. This is an incredibly interesting book that never got dull and I do feel better for reading this and learning how my everyday life works. Would seriously recommend to anyone who is even slightly inquisitive.
Daniil Lanovyi
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Curious and fun.

Rahul Phulore
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and entertaining read. It made me a tad smarter about and more aware in my quotidian decisions.

Some explanations were difficult to fully grok without mathematical models and formal treatment. If the book had that, it would have surely got a 5/5 rating from me.
Emma Maclean
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Listened to on audiobook. The short snippets of information were a bit off putting at the start but I soon got into the way of it. Lots of this I knew already but lots of it I had forgotten at some point or was completely new to me. Some chapters more interesting than others.
Jitesh Chhaparwal
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plan-2021
Collection of blog posts or articles on various everyday life phenomenon like loaf of bread in the fridge or why does the thunder rumble. Interesting bits and also some boring bits but does satiate curiosity.
Tatiana
May 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
A lively, fun and well explained dive into the science that makes the thing we take for granted work. I particularly loved the discussion about the uniqueness of rainbows at the end.
Really interesting read, would definitely recommend to anyone with a curiosity about science.
Daniel McFarlane
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Learned some new stuff, fell asleep in sections but but over all it's worth a read. ...more
Natascha Imlay
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audiobook

Great listening for the daily commute. Entertaining and interesting. Makes science accessible to everyone in a lighthearted way. Five stars
Theres Lessing
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a delight - some chapters better than others
Anthony Howell-Jones
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Another book please.

Some fascinating and clearly explained science. Well worth a second d read. Rate it 5 stars. Looking forward to your next book.

• Peas & Queues: The Minefield of Modern Manners
  • Ayoade on Top
  • The Enchiridion & Discourses of Epictetus
  • The Establishment: And How They Get Away with It
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • What Would the Great Economists Do?: How Twelve Brilliant Minds Would Solve Today's Biggest Problems
  • The Secret GP: What Really Goes On Inside Your Doctor's Surgery
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“a packet of Jaffa Cakes is a binary object, by which I mean it has only two states: unopened or empty. There have been rumoured sightings of half packets, but the evidence is debatable.” 1 likes