Start by marking “How the Marquis Got His Coat Back (Rogues, #18)” as Want to Read:
How the Marquis Got His Coat Back (Rogues, #18)

How the Marquis Got His Coat Back

(London Below, The World of Neverwhere #1.5)

A Neverwhere short story from one of the brightest, most brilliant writers of our generation - the Sunday Times and New York Times bestselling author of the award-winning The Ocean At the End of the Lane.

And it was unquestionably his.

***
'Gaiman's achievement is to mak
Published 2015 by Titan Books (first published June 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How the Marquis Got His Coat Back, please sign up.
Amelia Easterling Yes I would suggest reading this after Neverwhere. It is set just after the events that conclude Neverwhere and you will not get a lot of the referenc…moreYes I would suggest reading this after Neverwhere. It is set just after the events that conclude Neverwhere and you will not get a lot of the references that are explained in Neverwhere.(less)
Rianne You probably know the answer by now, but no they don´t.

Start your review of How the Marquis Got His Coat Back (Rogues, #18)
Paul Nelson
The Marquis de Carabas is recovering rather nicely from a terminally bad case of death and the one thing he really, really wants? Is his beautiful coat back.

And it was truly beautiful, remarkable and completely unique, unusual pockets, some of which even he couldn't find every time he looked, magnificent sleeves, an imposing collar and made of leather the colour of a wet street at midnight. More importantly than all that, it had style and it made him the man he was, the Marquis de Carabas.

'Th
Lyn
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a short story set in Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere universe and focusing on the character of the Marquis de Carabas.

This was a fun visit to Neverwhere, Gaiman’s imaginative creation of London Below. Published in the fantasy anthology Rogues (along with some TASTY George R.R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss stories), we follow up with the Marquis after the events in Neverwhere.

Gaiman fans want more of the Neverwhere vision and this is almost a cruel snack when we want a full meal. While we gain so
Trish
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Marquis de Carabas is undoubtedly one of the best characters Neil Gaiman has ever brought to life. In this small production, he gets his own story. You see, events in Neverwhere have caused him to lose his beloved (and quite unique) coat AND HE WANTS IT BACK.
And so begins yet another adventure, alternately funny and thrilling, through London below, the magical maze I've come to love but that can cost even a man like the Marquis de Carabas his life!

As in my review of the booklet I shall not d
mayy
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2018
"He stopped for a moment, and he thought about people, and about things, and about how hard it is to do anything for the first time."

I thought it would be a bit better. But it was still great.

I really loved Neverwhere. No, I mean I REALLY loved it. It was one of the most unique books I have ever read. So I’m not going to lie, my expectations were set very extremely high for this one. Probably too high. Definitely too high. I mean, the book has like 70 pages. What was I really expecting?

Neverthel
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“Beg for mercy,” said the Elephant.
That one was easy. “Mercy!” said the Marquis. “I beg! I plead! Show me mercy—the finest of all gifts. It befits you, mighty Elephant, as lord of your own demesne, to be merciful to one who is not even fit to wipe the dust from your excellent toes …”
“Did you know,” said the Elephant, “that everything you say sounds sarcastic?”

The Marquis was by far my favourite character in Neverwhere, so I was very happy to read his story. It was really entertaining, and in
Mitticus

The paths of London Below are not the paths of London Above: they rely to no little extent on things like belief and opinion and tradition as much as they rely upon the realities of maps.

Cuando uno quiere encantarse a si mismo, debe leer a Gaiman. Que historia tan genial por un mundo paralelo de cuentos de hadas , venganzas, estafas y un bribón simpático.

El marques de Carabas de Londres de Abajo sigue fascinando.
Sheila Beaumont
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, fantasy
This full-cast dramatization is a delightful short-story sequel to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, continuing the adventures of the Marquis de Carabas in London Below. For maximum enjoyment of the story, it's a good idea to read Neverwhere first.
Sophia
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-brace-2017
B.R.A.CE. 2017 ένα βιβλίο με έναν τίτλο με πάνω από 5 λέξεις

Δεν μπορώ να πω τίποτα παραπάνω για τον Neil Gaiman πέραν από αυτά που έχουν γραφτεί ήδη. Θα τον "κρίνουν" οι Θεοί του Fantasy!

Μια υπέροχη μικρή ιστορία από το "Κάτω Λονδίνο" που απλά δεν ήθελα να τελειώσει! Αλλά τελείωσε για αυτό έκοψα ένα αστεράκι από τα 4! Κακό Βιβλίο! :P

Dimitrije
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A little bit too short, this story provides somewhat of an epilogue to the "Neverwhere's" character Marquis de Carabas, and how he managed to retrieve his fabulous coat after suffering a "minor" accident in the main story.

Although complete, I could not escape the feeling that there is more that could have been said.
Marty Fried
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, fantasy
This was a great little story I read right after Neverwhere. I thought the Marquis de Carabas was an interesting character in Neverwhere (but weren't they all), so this was a nice extra to bring me back from that world. But I want more. I may just need to read some other books by this author.
Kaitlin
A really fun little short story which can easily be read as a standalone but which I assume would work well if you have also read Neverwhere. I haven't yet read Neverwhere but I did really like this and so I now do want to read it a lot more than I did previously and as this was such a short little novella I am happy to see that it made me want to pick up more.

This is exactly what the title says, it's the story of how the Marquis got his coat back and the various places and people that he visite
Missy (myweereads)
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
“He stopped for a moment, and he thought about people, and about things, and about how hard it is to do anything for the first time.”

How The Marquis Got His Coat Back by Neil Gaiman is a Neverwhere short story where we revisit the London below. The Marquis de Carabas has had a trying time lately and it’s only made worse when he realises someone has sold his coat. It is a very unique coat with more features than just the average pockets you can see which is why he needs it back. Things aren’t tha
Adam
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story sequel to Neverwhere that follows the Marquis de Carabas, recently raised from the dead, on his quest to reclaim his lost jacket. He drifts through a dream-like London Below and associates with new friends and old enemies alike.

Gaiman’s unstoppable wit and graceful prose carries through the entirety of the story, and all fans of Neverwhere will certainly enjoy this quick, 60-page read.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story, hope to read more of the Neverwhere universe...
ke-sha
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I JUST NEED MORE OF THESE CHARACTERS AND THIS WORLD.
Theodora
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'The Marquis de Carabas liked being who he was, and when he took risks he liked them to be calculated risks, and he was someone who double-and triple-checked his calculations.'

How the Marquis Got His Coat Back is a wonderful short story, where, in his search for his beautiful coat, de Carabas encounters old foes and new perils, and much to his chagrin, his older brother. We see the Marquis being uncertain and in need of rescue - something that would never have happened if he still had his coat!
Shorty
This very short novel is wonderfully written, and a real gem. The audiobook that I’d found at my local library had a full cast, and it was a serious treat. Mainly because BERNARD CRIBBENS....!! (Doctor Who fans will know why).
If you can find the full cast version of this audiobook, please listen to it soon. You’ll probably love it as much as I did.

The Marquis de Carabas: Patterson Joseph
Peregrine: Adrian Lester
Old Bailey: Bernard Cribbens
The shepherd: Don Warrington
The elephant: Mitch Benn
Richa
Maija
Neverwhere is one of my favourite books and the Marquis is one of my favourite characters, so when I saw this short story at the bookstore I just had to pick it up and read it instantly. And I loved it! I felt a sort of comforting nostalgia in being back in the world of London below - I first read this book in my teens, and it was my introduction to urban fantasy. I also instantly recognized the way the Marquis spoke, and just fell into that familiar rhythm. I was more into this than I was in th ...more
Karl Orbell
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karl by: Trish
This is a little spin-off short story from the book Neverwhere. A book focussed on the secret underground civilisation below London, largely arranged based on tube stations, in an archaic fashion - a book I love.

So does it work? Yes, I think it does.

It's fairly quick, so there's not a massive amount of content in it, but it evokes the feel of the society and world built in Neverwhere and is a fairly engaging story in itself, with various clever ideas. The main character is the only truly primary
Paul
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2016
The Marquis de Carabas has mislaid his coat. Or it may have been stolen. It was unique, with imposing collars, numerous hidden pockets and was the colour of a wet street at midnight. Whatever has happened to it, he wants it back. Rumour has it that it is in being held by the shepherds in Shepherds Bush and having just got over a nasty incident of dying, he needs to be very careful how he goes. Very careful indeed…

In this all too brief novella, we are deeply immersed once again in the surreal wor
Trish
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was by coincidence (thank you, Social Media) that I found out about this short story about the Marquis de Carabas, one of the best characters Neil Gaiman has invented in his novel Neverwhere.

For anyone wondering: yes, you need to read the novel before you read this.

I won't say any more about the content of the story because if I do, there will be major spoilers. In fact, the very fact that this story exists is probably a major spoiler to anyone reading the novel but that is not my fault. I'm
Ashley Capes
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-comeback
Really enjoyed this - definitely recommended if you liked Neverwhere.

Especially amusing to see the Marquis reacting to his brother too.
Andrew
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the original Neverwhere - partly because I saw to the TV series (as cheesy as it was) and loved it, partly because it is set in around London and that is always a good start and obviously it was Neil Gaiman.
Now over the years there have been several versions of the book from the definitive version to the graphic novel (yes I have them all) but never really has there been a return to the world of Richard, Richard Mayhew, Dick.

Until now - this was a one off story set a short time after th
Michelle Curie
If you have read Neverwhere, you will probably remember how all the Marquis wanted (after recovering from death, that is) was to get his coat back. Well, guess it was finally time for him to get a move on!

"The coat. It was elegant. It was beautiful. It was so close that he could have reached out and touched it. And it was unquestionably his."

This was a lovely short story, but I suppose its greatest excitement lies in the fact that it allowed readers to re-visit London Below, a place they had
that_scarlet_girl
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It was beautiful. It was remarkable. It was unique."
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
5 Stars!
“Did you know,” said the Elephant, “that everything you say sounds sarcastic?”

How the Marquis Got His Coat Back was included in the Audible edition of Neverwhere that I recently listened to. When Richard's
Julia
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sfftbr
Just as wonderful as Neverwhere! Can we have more, please?
Wiebke (1book1review)
What a fun trip back to London below.
Bogdan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read it for the first time in an Anthology and I found it amazing then. Now, after reading the book the opinion remained the same, but I had more informations at hand and I've enjoyed more.
I hope to see in the future more of this universe depicted in further adventures.

• Diamonds from Tequila (Dagmar Shaw Thrillers Book 4)
  • Roaring Twenties
  • The Curious Affair Of The Dead Wives (Rogues, #17)
  • Now Showing (Rogues, #19)
  • The Caravan To Nowhere (Rogues, #16)
  • The Rogue Prince, or, a King's Brother (Rogues, #21)
  • Provenance (Rogues, #6)
  • The Lightning Tree
  • The Meaning Of Love (Rogues, #11)
  • Heavy Metal (Rogues, #10)
  • Ill Seen In Tyre (Rogues, #13)
  • Bad Brass (Rogues, #9)
  • Tawny Petticoats (Rogues, #5)

London Below, The World of Neverwhere (2 books)
  • Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
  • The Seven Sisters (London Below, #2)