Start by marking “How the Marquis Got His Coat Back” as Want to Read:
How the Marquis Got His Coat Back

How the Marquis Got His Coat Back

(London Below, The World of Neverwhere #1.5)

A Neverwhere short story from one of the brightest, most brilliant writers of our generation - the Sunday Times and New York Times bestselling author of the award-winning The Ocean At the End of the Lane.

And it was unquestionably his.

***
'Gaiman's achievement is to mak
Published October 27th 2015 by Headline (first published June 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How the Marquis Got His Coat Back, please sign up.
Amelia Easterling Yes I would suggest reading this after Neverwhere. It is set just after the events that conclude Neverwhere and you will not get a lot of the…moreYes I would suggest reading this after Neverwhere. It is set just after the events that conclude Neverwhere and you will not get a lot of the references that are explained in Neverwhere.(less)

Paul Nelson
The Marquis de Carabas is recovering rather nicely from a terminally bad case of death and the one thing he really, really wants? Is his beautiful coat back.

And it was truly beautiful, remarkable and completely unique, unusual pockets, some of which even he couldn't find every time he looked, magnificent sleeves, an imposing collar and made of leather the colour of a wet street at midnight. More importantly than all that, it had style and it made him the man he was, the Marquis de Carabas.

'The
Lyn
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a short story set in Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere universe and focusing on the character of the Marquis de Carabas.

This was a fun visit to Neverwhere, Gaiman’s imaginative creation of London Below. Published in the fantasy anthology Rogues (along with some TASTY George R.R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss stories), we follow up with the Marquis after the events in Neverwhere.

Gaiman fans want more of the Neverwhere vision and this is almost a cruel snack when we want a full meal. While we gain so
Mayy Wilde-Shakespeare
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2018
"He stopped for a moment, and he thought about people, and about things, and about how hard it is to do anything for the first time."

I thought it would be a bit better. But it was still great.

I really loved Neverwhere. No, I mean I REALLY loved it. It was one of the most unique books I have ever read. So I’m not going to lie, my expectations were set very extremely high for this one. Probably too high. Definitely too high. I mean, the book has like 70 pages. What was I really expecting?

Neverthel
Trish
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was by coincidence (thank you, Social Media) that I found out about this short story about the Marquis de Carabas, one of the best characters Neil Gaiman has invented in his novel Neverwhere.

For anyone wondering: yes, you need to read the novel before you read this.

I won't say any more about the content of the story because if I do, there will be major spoilers. In fact, the very fact that this story exists is probably a major spoiler to anyone reading the novel but that is not my fault. I'm
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!
“Beg for mercy,” said the Elephant.
That one was easy. “Mercy!” said the Marquis. “I beg! I plead! Show me mercy—the finest of all gifts. It befits you, mighty Elephant, as lord of your own demesne, to be merciful to one who is not even fit to wipe the dust from your excellent toes …”
“Did you know,” said the Elephant, “that everything you say sounds sarcastic?”

How the Marquis Got His Coat Back was included in the Audible edition of Neverwhere that I recently listened to. When Richard's
Andrew
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the original Neverwhere - partly because I saw to the TV series (as cheesy as it was) and loved it, partly because it is set in around London and that is always a good start and obviously it was Neil Gaiman.
Now over the years there have been several versions of the book from the definitive version to the graphic novel (yes I have them all) but never really has there been a return to the world of Richard, Richard Mayhew, Dick.

Until now - this was a one off story set a short time after th
that_scarlet_girl
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
"It was beautiful. It was remarkable. It was unique."
Sophia
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-brace-2017
B.R.A.CE. 2017 ένα βιβλίο με έναν τίτλο με πάνω από 5 λέξεις

Δεν μπορώ να πω τίποτα παραπάνω για τον Neil Gaiman πέραν από αυτά που έχουν γραφτεί ήδη. Θα τον "κρίνουν" οι Θεοί του Fantasy!

Μια υπέροχη μικρή ιστορία από το "Κάτω Λονδίνο" που απλά δεν ήθελα να τελειώσει! Αλλά τελείωσε για αυτό έκοψα ένα αστεράκι από τα 4! Κακό Βιβλίο! :P

Paul
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2016
The Marquis de Carabas has mislaid his coat. Or it may have been stolen. It was unique, with imposing collars, numerous hidden pockets and was the colour of a wet street at midnight. Whatever has happened to it, he wants it back. Rumour has it that it is in being held by the shepherds in Shepherds Bush and having just got over a nasty incident of dying, he needs to be very careful how he goes. Very careful indeed…

In this all too brief novella, we are deeply immersed once again in the surreal wor
Wiebke (1book1review)
What a fun trip back to London below.
Ashley Capes
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-comeback
Really enjoyed this - definitely recommended if you liked Neverwhere.

Especially amusing to see the Marquis reacting to his brother too.
Swiffer
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story sequel to Neverwhere that follows the Marquis de Carabas, recently raised from the dead, on his quest to reclaim his lost jacket. He drifts through a dream-like London Below and associates with new friends and old enemies alike.

Gaiman’s unstoppable wit and graceful prose carries through the entirety of the story, and all fans of Neverwhere will certainly enjoy this quick, 60-page read.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Excellent story, hope to read more of the Neverwhere universe...
Michelle Curie
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you have read Neverwhere, you will probably remember how all the Marquis wanted (after recovering from death, that is) was to get his coat back. Well, guess it was finally time for him to get a move on!

"The coat. It was elegant. It was beautiful. It was so close that he could have reached out and touched it. And it was unquestionably his."

This was a lovely short story, but I suppose its greatest excitement lies in the fact that it allowed readers to re-visit London Below, a place they had c
Julia
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just as wonderful as Neverwhere! Can we have more, please?
Theodora
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'The Marquis de Carabas liked being who he was, and when he took risks he liked them to be calculated risks, and he was someone who double-and triple-checked his calculations.'

How the Marquis Got His Coat Back is a wonderful short story, where, in his search for his beautiful coat, de Carabas encounters old foes and new perils, and much to his chagrin, his older brother. We see the Marquis being uncertain and in need of rescue - something that would never have happened if he still had his coat!
Bogdan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read it for the first time in an Anthology and I found it amazing then. Now, after reading the book the opinion remained the same, but I had more informations at hand and I've enjoyed more.
I hope to see in the future more of this universe depicted in further adventures.
Maija
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Neverwhere is one of my favourite books and the Marquis is one of my favourite characters, so when I saw this short story at the bookstore I just had to pick it up and read it instantly. And I loved it! I felt a sort of comforting nostalgia in being back in the world of London below - I first read this book in my teens, and it was my introduction to urban fantasy. I also instantly recognized the way the Marquis spoke, and just fell into that familiar rhythm. I was more into this than I was in th ...more
Karl Orbell
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karl by: Trish
This is a little spin-off short story from the book Neverwhere. A book focussed on the secret underground civilisation below London, largely arranged based on tube stations, in an archaic fashion - a book I love.

So does it work? Yes, I think it does.

It's fairly quick, so there's not a massive amount of content in it, but it evokes the feel of the society and world built in Neverwhere and is a fairly engaging story in itself, with various clever ideas. The main character is the only truly primary
Kaitlin
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A really fun little short story which can easily be read as a standalone but which I assume would work well if you have also read Neverwhere. I haven't yet read Neverwhere but I did really like this and so I now do want to read it a lot more than I did previously and as this was such a short little novella I am happy to see that it made me want to pick up more.

This is exactly what the title says, it's the story of how the Marquis got his coat back and the various places and people that he visite
Rikke
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This was wonderful. And whimsical. And completely magical, as any encounter with Neil Gaiman is.

I absolutely adored Neverwhere, so of course yet another visit to the magic London Below of sewers and rats, goblin markets and self assuring coats was welcome. How the Marquis Got His Coat Back was a lovely, quick read – a little reminder of a world that I once visited and have missed ever since.

Oh, and I want a magic, wonderful, beautiful coat with four nearly-impossible pockets too!
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
De Carabas is one of my favourite Neil Gaiman characters and this short story brought back memories of Neverwhere and the Marquis. It was funny, it had twists, it was amazingly written and sprinkled with awesome. And yes, I am a fangirl.
Amelia
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Marquis and his coat are my first taste of Neil Gaiman and I have but one thing to say: absolutely fucking awesome!!!!
Paul  Perry
A joyous little tale fleshing out one of the most interesting characters (and that's saying something!) in Neverwhere. I confess I've been a huge fan since watching the original BBC TV series back in the 90s, and could just picture the superb Paterson Joseph again as the Marquis, arrogance and charm covering a deep, childlike vulnerability.
Alatea
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, light and entertaining. I kinda had this deja vu feeling while reading the book (remember baron Munchausen? I bet the Marquis is inspired by him).
Χρύσα Αναστασίου
I wanted to read something to give me all the feels and get me to that cozy-but-full-of-awesomeness-and-magic atmosphere that only Neil Gaiman can produce and yeah, it happened! This is the quickest story I've read this year but it was exactly what I needed this Saturday evening while sipping my hot tea with my cat sleeping next to me.
Emi
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Neverwhere es uno de mis libros favoritos y, aunque está bien como stand-alone, me quedaban las ganas de leer aunque sea una secuela. How the Marquis Got His Coat Back logró cumplirme el sueño por un rato. Es una secuela muy corta sobre qué pasó con el abrigo del Marquis de Carabas (Marqués de Carabás, en la versión en español, pero prefiero el nombre inglés), después de la primera novela, y cómo él hace todo lo posible por recuperarlo. Acá, sólo aparecen el Marquis y su bonito, excepcional y ún ...more
Devran ikiz
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kısa bir süre sonra - bir gün sonra- tekrardan Aşağı Londra'ya dönmek çok güzeldi. Bir ceketi alıp buradan kısacık da olsa güzel bir hikaye yaratmak Neil Gaiman'ın hayalgücünün ne kadar sınırsız olduğunu okuyucuya gösteriyor. Bu kısa hikayeye eklenen farklı karakterler ve farklı mekanlar Aşağı Londra'nın aslında ne kadar büyük ve fantastik bir yer olduğunu bir kez daha gözler önüne seriyor.
Kısa bir kitap olduğundan dolayı sanıyorum, istediğim kadar yüksek bir konsantre ile okuyamadım o yüzden tü
Paz R.M.
3 Stars
It was nice, after years, to be in London Below again with a new story.
The Marquis de Carabas is looking for his coat, after the unpleasant events that occurred to him in Neverwhere.
Oh Marquis, whoever you are, I did miss you.
The story expands the world more and we get to be in the head of this unique character.
I wish the story could have been longer. There were glimpses here and there of the world I fell in love with, but it wasn't the fantastic story I was expecting. And although the
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Ghostly Tales: An Audible Christmas Gift
  • The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • The Secret Journals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Down Station (Down Station, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Vagrant and the City (The Vagrant, #2.5)
  • Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Mrs. Zant and the Ghost
  • The Wicked + The Divine #16
  • The Rooftop: A Story of Fallon and Reign (Entwined Realms, #1.2)
  • The Jane Austen BBC Radio Drama Collection: Six BBC Radio full-cast dramatisations
  • METAtropolis: Green Space
  • The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #10)
  • The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles

London Below, The World of Neverwhere (2 books)
  • Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
  • The Seven Sisters (London Below, #2)
“Beg for mercy,” said the Elephant.
That one was easy. “Mercy!” said the Marquis. “I beg! I plead! Show me mercy—the finest of all gifts. It befits you, mighty Elephant, as lord of your own demesne, to be merciful to one who is not even fit to wipe the dust from your excellent toes …”
“Did you know,” said the Elephant, “that everything you say sounds sarcastic?”
7 likes
“The Marquis de Carabas liked being who he was, and when he took risks he liked them to be calculated risks, and he was someone who double-and triple-checked his calculations. He” 6 likes