Start by marking “Mother Knows Best (The Margie Peterson Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mother Knows Best (The Margie Peterson Mysteries, #2)

Mother Knows Best

(The Margie Peterson Mysteries #2)

Things aren’t going well for private investigator and mom Margie Peterson. Her husband, Blake, is claiming his taste for drag queens is “just a phase.” Her first-grade daughter isn’t fitting in at her new posh elementary school, Holy Oaks Catholic School. And her hippie mother has swept into town and replaced the family’s store of processed foods with seaweed snacks. To to ...more
Published March 15th 2016 by Thomas & Mercer (first published March 8th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Knows Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Knows Best

Tarri
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book in this series and loved the characters. Margie is trying to survive day-to-day with a husband who was in love with another man (now deceased) but trying not to be gay, a six year old daughter who thinks she is a dog and only eats white food, a vegan mother who thinks she can fix everyone's problems if they will just cut all the chemicals out of their diets, and an office in the back of a waxing salon.

Margie is working as a private investigator for the colorful Peaches, un
Vera (GirlySunglasses)

This is a second installment on a series, and even though I haven't read the first book, I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the characters and their backstories. Actually, sometimes I felt like the author repeated some bits of information a little too often, which can become annoying. I've read an advance copy, though, maybe it was fixed by the time it went on sale.

Margie Peterson, our heroine, is overwhelmed. Her marriage is falling to pieces, her oldest child is behaving oddly
Cyndi
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Important safety reminder: when you are hiding from bad guys or sneaking up on a crazed pig, turn off your phone.

Months earlier our heroine was a slightly unhappy housewife with two kids. Now she is a PI, her husband was pushed out of the closet and her daughter thinks she’s a dog. Sometimes life just goes from one weird thing to the next with bridges of insanity in between.
Good murder mystery with well written characters.
Betty
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, e-books
An amusing mystery as Margie Peterson struggles to cope with all the changes in her life. Learning her husband prefers other men but he still wants to remain the closet. Her 6-year-old daughter thinks she is a dog and her in-laws are sending said daughter to a pricey new school. In addition, her Mother who is a health nut is coming for a visit. Margie's employer, PI Peaches Barlow takes her to a strip place and calls her late one night to help move a body. You are going to love the teacup pig, B ...more
Lisa Morin
I am so happy that I was given the opportunity to read this book.
What a quirky story filled with outlandish characters. This is definitely not your typical cozy mystery.
Private Investigator Margie is dealing with a lot in her life. Her husband is having an identity crisis, her daughter is acting like a dog and her free spirit of a mother is visiting and throwing out all of her not so nutritious food.
If this isn't enough, Margie receives a 3 a.m. phone call from her boss, Peaches.
Answering that
OlgaTheCat
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-13-16
A fun read! Some relatively serious topics as Margie tries to deal with a husband who has recently come out of the closet and children who are showing the strain (or maybe just being kids) and keep stability in the family. At the same time she is involved in an old fashioned who-dun-it with hilarious undertones. Karen has a wonderful sense of the ridiculous. I found myself giggling and trying to maintain some sense of dignity as I finished the book over coffee at the local McDonalds. A great seq ...more
Sheri
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't laughed that hard reading a mystery cozy in a very long time. The characters are fantastic, every single one of them. What a life are poor heroine leads. I love that there were a bunch of little cases interspersed in this story. Her marriage issue had me giggling to myself, boy, I know the answer to that one. Girl needs to get out of that situation.

I need to go back and revisit some of the prior mysteries in the set, what a great cozy series. I strongly recommend to anyone who likes hu
Kristina
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Mother Knows Best by Karen MacInerney is the second book in The Margie Peterson Mysteries series. Margie (Marigold) Peterson is an assistant detective at Peachtree Investigations owned by Peaches Barlowe. Margie gets a late night call from Peaches. She needs some assistance and gives Margie an address. The headmaster of Holy Oaks Catholic School (Margie’s daughter, Elsie just started going here), George Cavendish is dead in a wading pool at the apartment of a lady of the evening (get my drift). ...more
Barb
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher through Netscape in return for a fair and honest review.
The latest addition to this hilarious series will not disappoint fans of Margie and Peaches. Karen MacInerney is at her outrageous best with a series that feels like Lucy and Ethyl meet the cozy mystery genre, with more than a tad of naughty thrown in for fun.
Everything about the plot is ridiculously funny. Margie’s husband is probably gay; her daughter wants to be a dog and spends a lot
Edel
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meet Margie, busy mother , struggling wife and private investigator working alongside the colourful Peaches.
Life is far from dull in Margie's life , her husband is gay and fighting the idea, her daughter is not liking her new school, her mother is in town for a visit and trying to have them all eating disgusting health food , her work is getting her into all kinds of sticky situations and her friendships are teetering on the brink of collapse if she does not save them. This book was so much fun
Carla Brauer
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Margie Peterson is just a regular gal who is a mom with a picture perfect family, predictable life, secure and sensible employme...wait...NOT! Spending a few hours in Margie’s daily reality certainly helped me put my own struggles, daily stresses as a school counselor into perspective. I smiled to myself and thought, “I may work with some really interesting families, but thank goodness the Petersons are not one of them!” When Margie is not seriously and intensely investigating crime through such ...more
Olivia Leigh Blacke
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Margie is back - and this time she brought a pig!

Mother Knows Best, a hilarious sequel to Mother's Day Out, beautifully blends mystery, humor, and the daily drama of suburban parenthood. Already juggling a husband trying to "find himself", snobby in-laws, a daughter with a species identity crises, and a visiting hippie mother, Margie has a full plate. Now in between trailing cheating spouses to strip clubs and attending PTA meetings, Margie has to clear her best friend as a murder suspect.

And t
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book; this is the second book in the A Margie Peterson Mystery series by Karen MacInerney. Margie Peterson is a mom and a private investigator. To make matters worse her husband is in a drag queen phase, her daughter isn’t fitting in her new school and her hippie mother has swept into town. When her boss calls her for a strange murder case, it is up to her find out what really happened to George Cavendish, the Holy Oaks headmaster. If you are looking for a fun mystery, then you n ...more
Cameron Harris
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pigs, whipped cream and a hard-core PTA

Intrepid. That's the first word that comes to mind. Her marriage is on the rocks, her daughter thinks she is a dog, her new age mother is coming for a visit and Margie and her PI boss, Peaches have to move a dead body dressed as Aquaman (who also happens to be her daughter's new principal). And yet, even on this roller coaster of a ride, Margie prevails. On top of this, add the rescue of Bubba Sue and you've got a rip-roarin' cozy like no other.
Author Karen
Kay
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a change-of-pace from Karen's other series. It has more adult themes but they are handled with so much humor! You really feel for Margie and the problems her family faces. However, she does face her problems and faces them with such a sense of humor. As a retired teacher, I really enjoyed the school storyline and the fact that the subject of bullying (on both the child and adult level) is addressed appealed to me. I also love that her friend, Becky is a Mary Kay sales consultant. I ...more
Erin
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Undoubtedly the most delightful and comical cozy mystery I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Karen MacInerney has managed to create a bevy of quirky and intriguing characters that will captivate you throughout their journey. I absolutely love the way the author has made caricatures out of individuals we may encounter in daily life. Yes, the escapades were at times outlandish, but that's what made the story so enjoyable. Look out Lucy and Ethel, here comes Margie and Peaches. Simply a MUST r ...more
Jacque
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mother Knows Best is not your typical cozy mystery. Margie works as a private investigator for her boss, Peaches. Her husband is gay, her daughter thinks she's a Pekinese, and she finds the headmaster of her daughter's fancy private school murdered under unusual circumstances. Margie's life is definitely not the average suburban mom's life, but it makes for hilarious reading. I was laughing out loud as I read! Looking forward to the next installment featuring Margie and her friends.
Ian
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, netgalley-arc
ARC honest review for Thomas & Mercer Books via NetGalley.

The second book in the Margie Peterson Mysteries.

Another fun packed rollercoaster ride with Austin, Texas's newest PI, Margie Peterson.

From strip clubs, to school meetings, Margie manages to stumble in and out of situations that no sane mother of 2 would normally get themselves into...only Margie could, and does!

Please visit my blog @ https://finalchapterreadersgroup.word... ... like and follow.
Peggy
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, netgalley
NOTE: Received as an ARC from Netgalley.

Funny but foul-mouthed mommy mystery. Especially loved Bubba Sue, the "teapot" pig!
Linda
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is book #2 of the Margie Peterson series. It's hilarious! I loved it! Margie was an ordinary housewife until she decided she needed a job and got one as a P.I. working for Peaches at Peachtree Investigations.

A late night phone call from her boss put Margie smack dab in the middle of a murder when Peaches asks her to help get a guy dressed as aquaman out of a pool in a young college girl's apartment (she has to put herself through college somehow). The victim turns out to be the headmaster o
Kathleen Chrisman
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Margie Peterson is at it again. While dealing with her cheating husband who insists their marriage can survive his "phase" of being attracted to other men, she gets pulled into moving a dead body by her boss Peaches. It doesn't help that the dead man is the headmaster of her daughter's new private Catholic school. To add to her already crazy household, Margie's hippy Mother comes for a visit while her husband leaves town for a retreat to help him learn how to be attracted to women again.
Another
Mary Long
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quirky is a great word for these characters! Some real life situations help balance out the outlandish predicaments Margie gets herself into being a private investigator. I love whodunnits and this one kept me guessing. I have not read these books in the correct order; this is the second one I've read, but it did not make a difference. Fun read and kept me interested in what would happen next. Starting the next book with Margie very soon.
Jennifer Brown
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
So this is the first book that I have read by this author. The story was good and there were definitely funny parts, but it didn't exactly keep me wanting more. I was listening to this in my car and ended up putting my car in the shop for 5 days in the middle of listening to it...it didn't really bother me much. I will probably go back and read the first book and see how the characters were introduced. Maybe it will be better? Not sure but I am willing to try :-)
Jool
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is so fun to read! The main character gets into so many strange and hilarious situations while working as a private investigator. The book is not silly or madcap, it is truly about a good, suspenseful mystery (or several) whose main character juggles being a mom and a private investigator. It is truly laugh out loud funny. I highly recommend.
Cindy Sacks
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun series! Not your usual saccharine cozy, this series comes with an edge! Margie Petersen may be an Austin mom of 2, but here life as an investigator is anything but typical. Pot bellied pigs, murders, embezzling, cross-dressers... and more! You can read the series individually, but I recommend starting in order. I am currently on Book 3 and can't wait for more!
Julie Mink
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Janet Evanovich readers
If you love Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, you will love the Margie Peterson series.
I was sitting here late into last night trying to finish the book so I could start the next one.. This was just as laugh out loud funny as the first one. Fast moving, never know what is going to happen next fun mystery.
Carol Jorgensen
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mystery with humorous

The author has the ability to paint a picture of her is the character that makes them so vivid , believable and yet not predictable. The plot kept you guessing. Lots of humor but still kept you wondering
Gail Dougherty
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very entertaining book. A very easy read. Margie Peterson is a priceless detective. If anything can go wrong it happens to her in her investigations. Love her adventures of her daughter’s Fry Phone.
Sandra Small
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly Enjoyable!

The well developed characters make this consummated a fun and light hearted read! I laughed out loud at some of the misadventures Margie gets herself into! Loved all the characters in this book! Great story!
Beebee
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read.

Another great read. I love all the characters. Just like the first one it was hard to put down. Downloading the third one now, cant wait to start reading it.

• Rhythm & Clues (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #11)
  • Wait Until Dark (Carolina Moon #3)
  • A Ghostly Gift (Southern Ghost Hunter mysteries, #1.5)
  • All Washed Up (The Misadventures of the Laundry Hag, #3)
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • Ox Herding: A Secular Pilgrimage
  • Murder of a Botoxed Blonde (A Scumble River Mystery, #9)
  • Night Moves (The Night Songs Collection Book 2)
  • Changing Habits: A Short Story (Giulia Driscoll, #0.5)
  • To Catch a Cat: How Three Stray Kittens Rescued Me
  • Sweet Miss Seeton (Miss Seeton, #20)
  • Advantage Miss Seeton (Miss Seeton, #7)
  • Stop Press Murder (Crampton of The Chronicle Mystery, #2)
  • My Perfect Wedding (Helen Grey, #2)
  • Booktaker
I'm the author of the Agatha-nominated Gray Whale Inn mystery series, Tales of an Urban Werewolf. the Margie Peterson mysteries and the Dewberry Farm mysteries (plus a new fantasy in the works). My reading is like my writing: eclectic!

I grew up in the Northeast, but I currently live in Austin with my husband, two kids, and a houserabbit named Bunny. Feel free to visit me online at www.karenmacine

The Margie Peterson Mysteries (3 books)
  • Mother's Day Out (The Margie Peterson Mysteries, #1)
  • Mother's Little Helper