Start by marking “Small Magics (Kate Daniels #0.5; 5.3; 5.6 )” as Want to Read:
Small Magics (Kate Daniels #0.5; 5.3; 5.6 )

Small Magics

(Kate Daniels 0.5; 5.3; 5.6)

***The stories in this anthology have been previously published***

Now collected for the first time, an irresistible compilation of five previously published stories by the bestselling author of the Kate Daniels series; including Kate’s very first meeting with Saiman, some related adventures, and two unforgettable ‘outside’ excursions.

A QUESTIONABLE CLIENT –
In this ‘in
Published September 17th 2015 by NYLA

To ask other readers questions about Small Magics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Magics

carol.
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PNR fans
This collection contains the stories "A Questionable Client," "Retribution Clause," "Of Swine and Roses," "Grace of Small Magics" and "Magic Tests." Committed fans of the Andrews' works should love this collection. I enjoyed it a great deal, but it leans heavily on romance tradition, a genre I don't willingly read. Nonetheless, they avoid the generally misogynist tropes in hetro romance and with palatable results.

I've read three of these stories before, but I'm generally a fan of the Andrews and
Sophia Triad
Five enjoyable magical stories. Highly recommended book for all the lovers of the Kate Daniels’ world.

*Two of them are definitely part of the Kate Daniels world and they take place in Atlanta:
-A QUESTIONABLE CLIENT where main characters are Kate and Saiman. Kate tries to help Saiman and save him from some dangerous Russian wizards. Saiman is not really innocent, but it does not matter in the end. He will become Kate’s best customer from now on.
Funny story full of magic and adventure.
-MAGIC TES
Steven
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, read-in-2018
So I was going to save Magic Tests for when I got through Kate #5 on my reread of the series (I'm currently on book #3), but I was so close to finishing this little anthology that I couldn't resist just finishing. :)
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

A QUESTIONABLE CLIENT

This was the funniest story in the collection, I'd read it before but I really wanted to read Kate and Saiman's first meeting again, their back and forth was great and that ending with Kate and the cat was still hilarious.

RETRIBUTION CLIENT

Really enjoyed Adam and Siroun's story, they did seem rather similar to Kate and Curran personality wise, but I guess that was a good thing since Kate/Curran are usually very readable characters. I went in expecting Ad
Ami
A Questionable Client: 3.5 stars

Oh, I enjoyed this!! I know that Saiman has a questionable morale, but he is always a FUN character to read. It was great to read how he and Kate met for the first time; which involved Saiman swallowing an acorn that made him look like a 'pregnant' man (urgh, my brain!)

A Retribution Clause: 3.5 stars

The characters here are new (I think) and the only 'relationship' with the Kate Daniel's world is that Adam Talford, the eight-foot frost giant is Saiman's cousin. Ada
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read and reviewed a lot of these stories separately or as part of other anthologies but it never hurts to have everything all in one place so I'm going to post those reviews again here. Three of the stories in this anthology are set in the Kate Daniels world but two are completely standalone (and one of those was completely new to me).

A Questionable Client (Kate Daniels 0.5):

A Questionable Client is a prequel short story for the Kate Daniels series and shows a bit of Kate's history with t
Dominique
Grace of Small Magics: ★★★★★
Magic Test: ★★★★
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

Overall, this was a really good anthology of short stories.

A Questionable Client:
4 stars

This was a very good short. It's Kate's first story and it's about Kate playing bodyguard for the shifter Saimen (this is their first meeting).

Retribution Clause:
4 stars

This was a very good story. It takes place in the Kate Daniels world but it's in a different city and the main character is Adam, Saiman's cousin. Adam works for an insurance company but in this world, the insurance payouts are a bi
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
This is a wonderful collection of short stories from the Andrews team. I’ve only read A Questionable Client and Magic Tests before, so Retribution Clause, Of Swine and Roses, and Grace of Small Magics where all new to me. I loved this collection of stories!

A Questionable Client - 5 Stars

This one was previously published in the anthology Dark and Stormy Knights. A Questionable Client is #0.1 in the Kate Daniels series. We get to see Kate the Mercenary and meet Saiman for the first time. Saiman sh
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
A Questionable Client, Kate Daniels 0.5 - 4.0 stars

It's incredibly fortuitous that Saiman displayed his true nature so accurately to Kate in their first interactions together.

He really is despicable sometimes. That is all.

Retribution Clause

Of Swine and Roses - 4.0 stars

So I mentioned in my reviews of Silent Blade and Silver Shark that I had been told the world-building in Burn for Me was similar to that of the worlds in the Kinsmen series and this novella . . .

So OF COURSE I had to rerea
Carolyn F.
Anthology. Average is 4.9 stars which is really good for an anthology.

1. A QUESTIONABLE CLIENT – Very good story, prequel to the Kate Daniels series. This is the first time Kate and Saimen meet. 5 stars.

2. RETRIBUTION CLAUSE – This is a story about Saiman's cousin and the woman he works with. He is not at all like Saiman. Good story. 3-1/2 stars.

3. OF SWINE AND ROSES – First off - a complaint. Um she has dark hair in the book! The girl on the cover of the separate short story is a red head. Cut
Emily
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2016
This collection of five Ilona Andrews stories was fun. There are three set in the Kate Daniels world, but only two of those with characters I know. The other one, Retribution Clause, set in post-Shift Philadelphia, was good, though, and has a neat connection to Kate's world. I loved the idea of an insurance policy with a retribution clause in case of death by foul play.
Of Swine and Roses and Grace of Small Magics were different settings and new characters to me. The first was sweet, if a little
Tami
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will tide me over... a bit at least.

God, those two can write. Just love the stories. The writing, the characters.

This is quite short, but I don't care.
ShoSho
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elib, x-2016, fantasy
All 5 stars and 4.5 stars novellas. I enjoyed them all and I want more!
Mariah
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, but because of the page limit it was hard to really connect with some of the new characters.

A QUESTIONABLE CLIENT and MAGIC TESTS were great kind of BTS stories for the Kate Daniels fan.

RETRIBUTION CLAUSE has Saiman’s cousin and some pretty interesting figures that I’d love to know more about.

And finally, OF SWINES AND ROSES and GRACE OF SMALL MAGICS were stories set outside of the KD land, but still pretty great shorties.
Sometime
This is a compilation of 5 short stories in the Kate Daniel's universe. I liked some more than others but they were all good. Despite being novella length, they were all solidly written and enjoyable. It's not necessary to read them to understand the Kate Daniels series, but they add a nice something to the series and fill out some characters and plot points some more.

A Questionable Client *** 3 stars

Retribution Clause *** 3 stars

Of Swine and Roses **** 4 stars

Grace of Small Magics ***** 5 stars
Hollis
OF SWINE AND ROSES

This is the story of a girl who, reluctantly, goes on a date with a boy she doesn't like and has nothing in common with. And the date fails spectacularly. But she rescues a pig from being slaughtered and somehow finds her happy ending anyway.
--> four fun fleeing farm-animal stars

GRACE OF SMALL MAGICS

Unbeknownst to her, Grace's family is bound by servitude to another Clan they betrayed over a hundred years ago. She's called in to service to help the current leader best anothe
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
Love these shorts, some I had read previous, some new.
Loved the ones in the Kate Daniels word, and the one connected but set in Philidelphia.
Also, some others that were very interesting.
Gina
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I had read all but one of these short stories before, but it was still fun to re-read. The new one to me, featuring Saiman's brother, was great. I hope it will at some point be part of a larger series. It was that good. This is more for fans than novices.
Carrie
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I’m usually not one for short story anthologies. I’d much rather dig into a full size book or at least a novella, but these stories made for a good, quick read that reminded me that there is more in the Kate Daniels world than just Kate.

There are 5 stories in total. 1 happens before the series begins, 3 are mysteries to me (and don’t directly involve any familiar faces), and 1 is supposedly taking place around where we left off in the series. The first and last were definitely my favorites (for
Kate
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ilona Andrews is one of my favorite authors and the Kate Daniels series is my favorite of all the books that the husband/wife duo write. The writing style is fast paced and engaging and the characters are completely believable despite the fantastical elements that surround all the books. These books are a must read for me and I eagerly devour them and count the months until the next one arrives. I love that despite the occult and romance leanings of these books there is still a generous dose of ...more
Hilary
A collection of 3 magical short stories with a couple of Kate-universe stories as bookends. (OK, there's another Kate-universe story in the middle, but it doesn't really tie in except very, very loosely.) In each case the magic is different, unexpected, and with a new purpose and new use by the characters.

It was a good fill-in read, but I wouldn't feel I'd missed out (except maybe from Magic Tests) by not reading them.
Rabid Reader
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining mix of Kate or Kate related stories (most of witch have been released previously as individual stories). My favorite being Magic Tests, as I love the antics of Julie, Kates adopted daughter. Pre-teen dramatics, mythology, problem-solving and interesting characters make this story stand out.
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick stories set in the world of magic. Missing some depth but a great glimpse into what could be fully developed characters, relationships, and characters. Hoping to see some characters again through the Kate Daniels series.
Desi
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute action packed short stories. Would have liked more of the Frost giant.
Tasula
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short stories in the world of Beast Lord Curran and Kate Daniels. Most are sweet (no horrible deaths, good guys win) and some are a bit romantic.
Kathryn Patterson
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, magic, dragons
For anyone who has read and loved the Kate Daniels universe, this book is a must read. "Small Magics" by Ilona Andrews contains five wonderful short stories; three of them are set in the Kate Daniels universe and two are in new magical worlds. This author duo strikes again with stories that draw you in until the last word.

"Questionable Client" marks the beginning of Kate and Saiman's relationship. Saiman needs a bodyguard and Kate needs money. She keep him for getting killed (obvious, since he's
Hackmops
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: IA fans, people who want to check out IA stuff
As a neat collection of short stories, Small Magics manages to be interesting enough for long-time Ilona Andrews readers who might not have had a chance to catch all of the authors' short stories and to provide material for people interested in picking up IA's main Kate Daniel series. The book contains three stories that are set in the Kate Daniels universe in post-shift Atlanta, so new reads can easily get into the who setting without the story suffering from ommissions. Two other stories are l ...more
  • Curran POV Collection
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Black Water (Jane Yellowrock #6.3, #0.3, #7.5 )
  • Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)
  • Five Down
  • Oh Pretty Bird (InCryptid, #0.10)
  • Pure Magic (Black Dog, #2)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, March 2016
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Wickedly Ever After (Baba Yaga, #2.5)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
“Do you know what separates adults from children? Self-discipline. We don't want to go to work, we don't want to do our chores, and we don't want to make unpleasant decisions, but we do all those things because we're aware of the consequences which will follow if we don't.” 13 likes
“If he ever did manage to formulate his own thought, it would likely knock him senseless.” 2 likes