Start by marking “The Twenty Dollar Bill” as Want to Read:
The Twenty Dollar Bill

The Twenty Dollar Bill

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Follow the path of a twenty dollar bill as it is stolen, given, spent or otherwise passed from person to person, traveling from place to place. No bombastic explosions, steamy sex scenes, political intrigue or cosmic encounters. Just slices of life from the people you walk by every day - glimpses into how ordinary people interact, how they think, how they feel and how they ...more
Published November 22nd 2007 by Kanapolis Fog Publishing Emporium (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Twenty Dollar Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twenty Dollar Bill

Bonnie
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. I thought the premise was more than creative and the stories kept me engrossed from one to the next. This is the kind of book I will read again.

Elmore Hammes had a very creative idea and intriguing format for The Twenty Dollar Bill. The book follows a twenty dollar bill and each chapter is a glimpse into the life of the person in possession of said twenty dollar bill. I like to see how the bill changed hands as much as I like to hear about the holder's story. I adm
Jimmy Mcphink
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book but may prove frustrating to some because it is pretty much a collection of short stories that cut off abruptly.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked the fact it showed small glimpses of so many lives & then just cut off because the money was passed on to someone else. Some might find this frustrating. Did they ever fall in love? Who won the game? Where did he get that wad of cash? etc. I'll give an example of what I mean. This story was not in the book but it should have been.

Let's
Hooskadooo
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some years ago there were a few popular web sites onto which you would track dollar bills that you had come into contact with. You would go onto the site and put in some info about the bill and where you received it and where you spent it. The bills were marked with the website name. Sometimes next person would log it in but sometimes it would take months before you knew where it went and wonder how it got there. I personally logged in one but quickly forgot about it after and did not even think ...more
Ben Campbell
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Short and sweet, this novelette is one short epic after another, as you know, which follows a twenty dollar Bili as it exchanges hands. A few of the stories were interesting but didn't really stand creatively from the others.

Disappointing to me was that the narrative of the episodes were too similar. The new owners of the twenty dollar bill all thought alike and narrated their stories basically in the colloquialisms, attitude and perception of the situations.

If each story had distinctive charact
Sarah Sammis
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sarah by: breeni
Shelves: released, review-copy
I first heard of The Twenty Dollar Bill by Elmore Hammes on Breeni Books back in February. Shortly after adding it to my wishlist, the author was kind enough to offer me a review copy.

The novel follows the two week travels of a twenty dollar bill from the time Claire gives her last twenty to a homeless man on her way to work. The bill changes hands forty-two times and even travels as far south as Mexico before coming full circle.

Although the twenty dollar bill is the main character, Hammes creat
Donna
I've always thought if I had a super power maybe I'd like to be able to read people's minds. On the other hand, that would probably be really scary! But I got the opportunity in this unique novel which follows a $20 bill as it is passed from person to person and lets us glimpse their impression of the exchange as well as a snippet of their life with it's hopes and fears. What I found most intriguing were the different inner reactions of people to the same situation. It really got me to thinking ...more
Gina
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, both for the original subject -- the life of a $20 bills as it travels from person to person -- but also for the slices of human life portrayed without any trace of judgement on the author's part.

What I find particularly effective is how each story intersects the next in the moment when the $20 passes hands, a moment that is described from the point of view of two different people, so that we see each character both from the outside -- through someone else's eyes -- and from t
Neil Blaiberg
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very unusual read, this novel tracks the life of a $20 bill (hence the title) as it passes from one person to another.

In doing so you get a fascinating, albeit brief, look at the lives of the people the note touches.

It's a well written novel, my only complaint being I'd love to know what happens to the people once they have passed the note on - some of the stories are left on a cliff-hanger, and I'd love to know what happened to them - but I guess that is not the point of the book.

It's not the l
Erica
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Twenty Dollar Bill was a clever idea for a book, and I think it was executed wonderfully in this quick read with diverse subplots. It was interesting to see to who and how the money would exchange hands. Sometimes I made stereotypical judgement on characters based on how they were presented to me, sometimes my assumption about the type of people they were correct, and other times I was terribly wrong. This book made me question my knee-jerk reactions about people. I really liked this book, e ...more
Patricia
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Got this book on a bargain and thought the concept was rather interesting. The book is divided into chapters told in the first person by each person who handles a single twenty dollar bill. It follows the bill through making change, buying items, thefts, tips... The chapters are short, making it a quick, easy read. Not much thinking involved, no plot really. Just following the path of the twenty dollars. It is, though, interesting and entertaining. A good read for when you don't want anything he ...more
Leah Sperlongano
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. A short and easy read but an enjoyable one. I liked how we only meet each character for a short while and we get to use our imaginations to create the rest of their story. I very much enjoyed the journey of the $20 and I loved how the people that touched it had very different lives and personalities. I also enjoyed the underlying message that we should not judge someone by our short interactions with them.
Ruth
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall I probably would have rated the book a 3 or 3.5 but it was so clever it just earned extra points in my book. The premise of the story is a $20 bill passing through the hands of different people and what the story of each person was. I wasn't sure how the story could be ended but the author handed this very well, also. A fun read.
Carol
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-favorites
Author: Elmore Hammes // What a great concept for a book! The author follows the path of a $20 bill as it changes hands in more ways that I could have ever thought of. A vignette is devoted to each recipient of the bill, while they have it in their possession. What a mix of humanity!! Fascinating read that will make you ponder some things about life. Very creative!
Kari
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Didn't know what to expect reading this book, but really enjoyed meeting the different characters along the way. With some, I would have like to know more...I wanted to know more about their story after the $20 left their hands. I'm glad it at least came full-circle with one character. A quick, pleasant read.
Elaine
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This buck—twenty bucks to be exact—doesn't stop here. It gets generously handed to a street person, gets stolen, given as a tip more than once, and used as taxi fare. It buys drugs and alcohol. Whoever thought $20.00 could purchase so much? Yet, one has to assume it is the same $20.00 that is being passed along.
Cyndy
Jan 26, 2008 rated it liked it
This book follows a twenty-dollar bill on its journey from person to person. More accurately, it gives a glimpse into the lives of each person it touches. An interesting collection of character sketches. I didn't expect to like it, but I did.
Lexy
The author had an interesting idea of writing about the life of a $20 bill. Follows the bill from person to person and you get a glimpse in several peoples lives. Will not win any awards, at least in my opinion, but a quick, likable read.
Richard Philbrick
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very unique read. The book follows the path of a single $20 bill as it changes hands from one person to the next in a series of well-written vignettes. I downloaded it to my Kindle in the morning and had to force myself to stop late in the evening so I could get some sleep.
Adam
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very pleasant novel. Well, novel is a bit generous. More of a novella, really. But still pleasant. Short, to the point and yet still a bit touching. A nice easy read to knock out in a day or two.
Dee-Ann
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. I liked the short stories, which gave you a snapshot of many very different lives. I would like to know what happened to these people however .... it is a pity we could not have revisitied them all.
Louisa
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting multiple narrative which offers the stories of many and varied characters who are bound by the simple fact that they have each, at some point, owned the same twenty dollar bill. As the note travels through towns and across borders you get to see every walk of life.
Emily Dillon
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
The ending seemed rushed, but I liked the smaller stories that connect each character.
Lesuong
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Short & easy read. I loved the concept of the book. The ending is very cute too.
Rhoni
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining. Nicely wrapped up.
Christal Bryant
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general
With the short stories this is good to read while you are waiting places or at night for a quick read before bed. Most of the stories were good.
Eric Weisheit
This was a fun, easy read. I enjoyed it - interesting premise.
Louise
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book which follows the people who come into contact with a $20 bill. I don't normally like books like this but I really enjoyed all the different people and their stories.
Jan
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Follows a $20 bill from person to person, giving a little bit of the history of the person receiving it. Interesting....
Cheryl Hurd
this was just a feel good book. A day in the life of a $20.00 dollar bill.......how its passed from hand to hand, life to life. Good reading
Rosie
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Too short :(
An easy fun read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Callahans: The Complete Series
  • Brains For Lunch: A Zombie Novel in Haiku?!
  • Tribes
  • Hero Wanted (Jason Cosmo #1)
  • Her Nowhere
  • The Island of Ted
  • The Year of the Bomb
  • A Dignified Exit
  • Border Crossing
  • Are You Sitting Down?
  • Down Aisle Ten
  • The Crazy Man
  • Arthur (The Grail Quest Trilogy, #1)
  • Hard Work: A Life On and Off the Court
  • Suspending Reality
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • The Winter Barbeque