Start by marking “The Jellybeans and the Big Dance” as Want to Read:
The Jellybeans and the Big Dance

The Jellybeans and the Big Dance

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Friendship comes in many flavors in the launch of a charming new series by a bestselling author and illustrator team!

Laura Numeroff, Nate Evans, and Lynn Munsinger bring readers a fun new group of sweet friends.

Just as jellybeans are different colors and flavors, each character in this heartwarming friendship story has a personality and pizzazz that young readers will love
Published March 1st 2008 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Jellybeans and the Big Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jellybeans and the Big Dance

Kelly
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series (Jellybeans) is a cute series. Four friends with very different personalities and interests work together to make the dance recital a success.
Anne
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A DRA 20 with themes of friendship and individuality.
Patty
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture
Kelly
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Emily loves to dance, and naturally assumes that the girls in her dance class do too. Though she is disappointed to learn that the others would rather play soccer or paint, she brings them all together for Ms. Tingly-Wheezer’s recital, thanks to a newly discovered common interest – jelly beans. While a couple of story points feel slightly contrived (name cards drop off their lockers and fall to the floor, conveniently spelling B-E-A-N), the charm of Author Numeroff’s resulting narrative about fr ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Emily loves to dance and she's excited about her new class. Her fellow dancers are less enthused. Nicole would rather play soccer. Bitsy prefers painting. Anna likes to read. Only after their names (BEAN) unite them do the four girls become friends. They make a splash at their dance recital.

What I thought: A great book about friendship. I love that the girls are individuals. They each have their own likes and dislikes. However, that doesn't keep them from being friends. Munsinger's illustrations
Michelle McBeth
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emily loves to dance. So she begins dance class. She realizes right away that she has nothing in common with the other girls and she isn't sure she likes the recital dance she has to learn. But Emily decides to make the best of things. She names the group of girls the Jellybeans and they agree to find ways to work together to make dance class good for all of them, each girl using her strengths to add to the group.

The illustrations in this book are adorable, colorful and easy to follow. The chara
Anthony Smith
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-this
The Big Dance is about a four different girls who all have different things in common. One wants to read, one wants to draw, one wants to paint, and the last one wants to dance. They have to be in a recital but only one wants to actually be in it. The one that wants to dance goes to the store and buys jellybeans. They all learn the lesson that because they are all different it doesn’t mean they can’t get along. This book has great meaning behind it. As time keeps passing cultures are being mixed ...more
Erin Buhr
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Bitsy loves to paint everywhere she goes. The owner of her favorite candy shop invites her to help redecorate the store by painting a mural on the wall. Bitsy is a little overwhelmed by the immenseness of this task. She visits the art museum for inspiration. The next day she tackles the wall with her friends. She overcomes her nerves to paint a festive mural. A colorful book that encourages creativity. I love that Bitsy uses the world around her, as well as classics at the art museum, to inspire ...more
Joenna
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, preschool
Emily is excited to start her new dance class. But on her first day, she realizes that nobody else in the entire class is as excited as she is. During practice, they all get knocked into each other, and bump into their lockers, which messes up their initials for their lockers. They realize that all their first name initials together spell BEAN. One day after class, Emily goes to the candy store and gets jelly beans. She thinks this will cheer up everyone's spirit in the class. It does, and they ...more
Zach
Emily is super excited about her new dance class but when she gets there, she realizes that none of the other girls really want to be there and they would much rather be doing something else. Emily finds a way to bring all the girls together Jellybeans because even though there are a lot of different flavors, they somehow go really well together. Great to be used as a read-aloud during the first few days of school to discuss classroom unity and incorporating everyone's differences and talents to ...more
Sidney Chumbler
This book is about four girls who their first letters of their name spell bean. They are each in a dance class and only one girl likes to dance, Emily. At first they do not get along but Emily bring them jellybeans and they bond. This book is really sweet and talks about how to make friends with people that are different than you. I found it a little cheesy at times especially when they talked about how each girl was different but the same like jellybeans but this book is still really good.
Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This is one of those hit you over the head with the moral books, an annoying, cloying story, not to mention the terrible message of mom taking the girl to the candy store when she feels bad. Ugh. However, my 2 year old loved the sparkly cover and the dancing bug costumes.

That review was for the board book. The full book is better, the story is fleshed out more and makes more sense. My daughter still loves this book!
Teri
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even if you like different things you can still be friends.;) Nice large, durable book for my young daughter. Colorful, large illustrations and fun story make this a favorite at our house. How can you go wrong with a dog(named Emily) who loves to dance everywhere. She makes friends with three other girls, a pig, rabbit and cat otherwise known as Bitsy, Anna and Nicole.
Sarah Souther
Emily loves to dance, but when she finally gets to learn ballet, she finds her classmates don't share her enthusiasm. She finds a way to get each of these very different girls to use her talents to contribute to a wonderfull performace. Ballet, animals, and jellybeans are generally thrilling to many young readers, and the messages about teamwork and acceptance are a nice plus. Gr. PreK-2.
Rosa Cline
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is probably the first in the Jellybean series. As it explains how the four girls became friends and became known as the Jellybeans. They a\re all in dance class together but only one of the four girls re\ally enjoy dancing. But she soon decides to find something they \all like and then they all become friends because of it; and they decide to make their recital a good one.
Kat
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Great book for little girls who love to dance. It has decent writing, cute pictures, and a good story about working together. It wasn't even over-the-top about we can be friends with people who are different, but it was clear and the girls are good kids.

Fans of Angelina Ballerina should definitely read this.
Nancy Jo Lambert
In this book of the Jellybean girls, Emily is the focus. I liked this one, and so did my daughter. Of course, her name is Emily. I like that the Jellybeans always come together to support one another. A solid choice for the chick picks shelf.
Samantha
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
This book was so adorable!!! Even the worst of situations can change based on how you decide to look at it. Emily made new friends and they all danced so wonderfully together!! I enjoyed meeting the Jellybeans. =)
Chrystal
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
My youngest loved this book! She just started dance and loves jelly beans - so it was a hit! My eldest related to the characters as well, because she always wishes her friends would just come dance with her!
Kim Patton
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Emily loves to dance and is excited about dance class, though her classmates aren't as enthusiastic about the class. Emily sees they all have different interests but finds a way to bring them all together. A good lesson mixed with cute illustrations.
Graceann Jacobson
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Emily finds a way to make friends with the girls in her class by putting their initials together to spell BEAN. She brings them all jellybeans and they learn to help each other with their own talents and gifts. Because of this the big dance concert is a success!
Clarissa
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute book that my three year old liked me to read over and over again. The cover of the book is sparkly (always an attraction to a three year old!!) and plus also (a little June B. Jones coming out in me) who wouldn't like a book with Jellybean in the title, I ask you?
Molly
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a great story about friendship. There is a group of girls who are all starting a dance class. They may all be different but they are all going to have this in common. K+
Lindsi
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Super cute children's book, teaches teamwork, friendship and creativity in such a cute way!
Alissah
Jul 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: alissah
Love this
Vj
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good message with appeal for children ages 3-6. The next two in the series: The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza and The Jellybeans and the Big Camp Kickoff repeat the theme and moral.
Aileen Stewart
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book about friendship despite differences. Four little girls find that loving jellybeans is enough common ground to form friendships and to dance, dance, dance!
Suzanne
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute new picture book series!
Ms_Sara
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grandkid-books
I bought this book for my granddaughter. We have read it several times, and it is an awesome book. My little ballerina loves it, as do I.
Jillian
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Pretty lame story. The artwork was cute-ish but my four year old insisted the main girl - the cat - it was a boy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Silly Doggy!
  • For the Love of Autumn
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Maisy Goes to the Hospital: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • The Moon Shines Down
  • Mary Had a Little Lamp
  • I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Birdie's Big-Girl Shoes (Birdie Series)
  • Raindrop, Plop!
  • Josephine Wants to Dance
  • Princess Baby
  • The Feel Good Book
  • Brownie  Pearl Step Out
  • D.W. Flips!
  • Dogerella
  • The Frogs and Toads All Sang
Laura Joffe Numeroff is an American author of children's books. Numeroff originally wanted to be a writer, but decided to follow her older sister's footsteps and become a fashion designer instead. Laura attended Pratt Institute of Design but then decided to become a writer again and wrote her first book with only 4 rejections. - Wikipedia.
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...