Start by marking “Passing Strange: True Tales of New England Hauntings and Horrors” as Want to Read:
Passing Strange: True Tales of New England Hauntings and Horrors

Passing Strange: True Tales of New England Hauntings and Horrors

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  194 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
New England's dark hills, fogbound coasts, and hidden villages have inspired generations of writers such as Hawthorne, Lovecraft, and King. But these authors' dark imaginings pale when compared to little-known but well-documented and true tales. In this delightfully spine-tingling tour of all six New England states, Citro chronicles the haunted history and folklore of a re ...more
Published October 31st 1997 by Mariner Books (first published 1996)

JohnB
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strange
This is my favorite book. I love the mysterious tales of New England and how the author describes the scenes. I always wanted to go to all of the places when I lived in Boston, but I never got the chance.
Julie Armstrong
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an amusing book, which I owned years ago. I resisted it as research for writing literary gothic fiction.
Myles
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Dad bought me this book when I was 9 or 10, I had really gotten into Mysterious New England which had been a random gift from my grandmother on Christmas, so he got all excited about getting me every single weird New England book out there.

And you might know just how many of those books there are. Passing Strange stuck out to me for a couple reasons, first was the great variety of stories: Citro avoided most of the stuff that appears in the dozens of other creepy New England books. Citro makes
Lee L.
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
From the title of this book, I was expecting mostly ghost stories. However, this book is unique in its genre, and I was very pleasantly surprised! Although many of the stories in this book are older, this author's ability as a raconteur quickly overcomes the boundaries of time. These tales are superbly told by a master at his game. Joseph A. Citro, in his own words, claims to be an "anthologizer." That is exactly what he does here, and he does it well.

The author's ability to narrate a captivatin
Alissa
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes scary stories and history
Has been one of my favorite books ever since I was a teenager. I have always adored scary stories. Citro describes chilling tales and mysteries of the history of New England.

"'Mr. William Rose dug up the body of his daughter and burned her heart, for she was drawing energy from other members of the family.' -The Providence Journal, 1874 reported in the village of Placedale, Rhode Island" (Passing Strange)

"Before Connecticut residents suspect I'm accusing them of providing aid and comfort for th
Malia Ebel
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoy compilations of "true" ghost stories, so I was excited about this one which is based in New England. However, I found most of the tales to be pretty bland, and not at all scary. In general, the vignettes were too short to really draw me in, and lacked sufficient detail to give them punch.

Growing up in New England, I definitely heard scarier tales at campfires than I read in this book.

Gregory Love
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do you know what's good about "Passing Strange"?.......its strange. Joe Citro writes like a person I knew forever that tells interesting stories. I personally don't know the guy, his appeal is that good. I hate that before I know it the book finished. Sad it had to come to an end and left wanting more strange.
Marianne Thomas
What a thrill to read! I'm a sucker for stories of regional hauntings. If you are, you'll enjoy the book.
Paul Gill
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Haunted America
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • Haunted Ohio: Ghostly Tales from the Buckeye State (Buckeye Haunts)
  • Haunted New Orleans: Ghosts & Hauntings of the Crescent City
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • Haunting Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, and True Tales
  • The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson
  • Spooky New England: Tales of hauntings, strange happenings, and other local lore
  • Weird Indiana: Your Travel Guide to Indiana's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Mysteries of the Unexplained
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Holy Ghosts: Or, How a (Not So) Good Catholic Boy Became a Believer in Things That Go Bump in the Night
  • In a Dark Place (Ed & Lorraine Warren #4)
  • Weird Virginia: Your Travel Guide to Virginia's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets