Start by marking “The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New” as Want to Read:

The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New

A Page-Turning Storybook of Theology for Kids

Published October 19th 2015 by New Growth Press

Margaret Chind

Originally posted on Creative Madness Mama. A theology primer for children...
Several years ago, I was introduced to the writing of Marty Machowski through The Gospel Story Bible. The illustrations were a bit loud for my taste, but the writing and the scripture coming across was solid and good for sharing with my children (who do appreciate the wild drawings). Then in the last year I discovered Long Story Short (a devotional) on Kindle. I'm hoping that one day I will also find Old Story New go o
Jennifer Trovato
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 5 year old son and I read this last year for homeschool and really liked it. The pictures are beautiful, weird and thought/conversation provoking. The idea of exposing kids to deep theological concepts usually thought of as well beyond their years so clicks with me because it gives us the same language and vocabulary to use within our family. This books stays true to orthodoxy and presents biblical ideas in an engaging way.
Rebecca
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely lovely collection of theology written on a child's level.

In fact, adults may discover their own understanding of spiritual truths are sharpened by its simple presentations and profound explanations.
Lucas Bradburn
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finished this tonight with my kids. What a great resource to introduce children to systematic theology and the doctrines of God's Word. Each chapter is short, the illustrations are great, and the content is excellent. If you are a parent with young kids, definitely check this out!
Kara
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this to my 8 and 10yo boys. Good discussions, and they frequently wanted more than 1 reading per night.
Lisa Bittle
Explains truths of the Bible to children in a form that easy for children to understand.
Ashley Brown
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My five-year old and I loved this book! This is basically systematic theology for kids. It can be read like a reference book, but also enjoyed during story time! I would definitely recommend it for kids 5 and up!!
Jalynn Patterson
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:
A Page-Turning Storybook of Theology for Kids

In the cellar of the old stone cathedral, Carla and Timothy uncover a life-changing treasure, a carefully wrapped ancient book known as The Ology. What adults might describe as a beautifully illustrated storybook of systematic theology, the kids discover to be a story of adventure, mystery, and wonder that leads them to the truth about God, themselves, and the world around them.

Truth is for kids, not just for adults! So The Ology gives
Create With Joy
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Ology – Ancient Truths Ever New is a theologically sound primer that introduces children between the ages of 6 and 12 to core Christian doctrines and abstract theological concepts. The Ology uses creative examples, illustrations and analogies to make these concepts easy to understand.

The book is written so that it’s adaptable to the wide range of needs of the children within that age group – for example, you can read the stories aloud to younger children, and older children can research the
Kendra
Complex theological thoughts should not be skipped when discussing God and Christianity with children. This book, loosely based on Wayne Grudem’s books Systematic Theology and Bible Doctrine, brings big concepts like God’s character and attributes as well as the doctrines of sin, salvation, and the church to a child’s level. Using pictures (by illustrator Andy McGuire) and examples, Machowski brings theological concepts to a level that early elementary children can comprehend. Each page features ...more
Becky
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Exploring the centuries-old church in their neighborhood was proving to be an adventure that Carla and Timothy would not soon forget. They had come upon an unlocked cellar door and had ventured down the stone stairway into the musty dimness below. "Look!" Carla exclaimed as she lifted the corner of a thick rug. "A hidden door." "I wonder where it leads," Timothy said. "Does it open?" the children pulled back the rug and lifted the door. Timothy pointed his flashlight into the dar ...more
Shellie Tomlinson
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Written for kids, but kept me engaged from page one. Reminiscent of C.S. Lewis...
Lindsay
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous resource for teaching theology to children in an engaging and beautiful way. Found myself so blessed right alongside my kids.
Samuel Bierig
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good read for Abby and I. We will read it again.
John
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I became familiar with Marty Machowski through The Gospel Story Book Bible, an excellent story Bible which is similar to Sally Lloyd-Jones’s fabulous The Jesus Storybook Bible.

The Ology takes a different approach with a slightly older audience in mind. We used it for our family devotions and found that it wasn’t too juvenile for our 12 and 15 year old. Written with a biblical-theological framework, The Ology tracks the story of the Bible. Machowski is an excellent guide in exploring foundationa
Isaac Butterworth
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of elementary age children
Marty Machowski, author of The Gospel Story Bible and a number of other books for children, has continued his pattern of excellence in The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New. Framed by the story of a sister and her brother discovering and exploring a book entitled The Ology, Machowski's volume provides a systematic treatment of Christian doctrine suitable for children. A parent's guide gives moms and dads guidance in leading their children in a reading adventure that will introduce the basics of the ...more
John
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful to me in understanding things like the trinity, the 10 commandments, and the promise to Abraham. Things are very well explained by little passages exploring different concepts as in Jesus Christ and sin. The pictures in this book give you a vivid picture in your head of what could have happened when it happened. It also has an intriguing story about how this book was found. Tip: you should probably have your bible to look up verses.
Jackie Eason
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the writing and illustrations in this book, and the theology was perfectly fine, but the overall structure was a bit strange. The subjects overlapped a lot, were in an odd order, and at times were too short. I also didn’t understand why there was a fictional story in the beginning and at the end. I’m sure we’ll read it again because we read a Bible story book every night with our kids, but it won’t be a favorite.
Scquest
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good overview of systematic theology for children. It is easy to understand, has verses, questions, and illustrations.
I would give it five stars but there were several sections which were poorly explained. The lesson on baptism added more confusion than explanation, as well as some sections of the end times. Some of those themes are confusing enough as it is, and trying to include a broad range of interpretations is pointless.
Edy Gies
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When described as systematic theology for children, a book can sound dry and overreaching, but this book is neither. I learned so much from this book and so did my son. The wording using excellent illustrations, both literal and figurative, to explain very deep concepts. I would highly recommend this for kids 6 and up depending on their maturity level.
Allison Anderson Armstrong
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very well-thought out and cute design - though a few of the paintings looked a little funny to me. I wish the story of the children carried throughout the book a little more. I realize that is not the point of this book, but I think a child would appreciate a few caveats of the children throughout the chapters of Biblical theology .
Jeremy Gardiner
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this out-loud to my family during our worship time at the breakfast table. It was gospel-centered and readable for kids (ages 6-preteen is recommended) but enough depth that an adult would be edified as well. I even sent one day's lesson to an adult brother who was struggling to encourage him. Highly recommended as a kids devotional or family worship time.
RedeemedReader
In The Ology, children and families can access deep Biblical truths, carefully explained and gorgeously illustrated.

Read full review at Redeemed Reader
Amanda
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very cool book, but too old for preschoolers. We’ll revisit in a few years.
Tiffany
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone that wants to teach children about theology. Solid teaching and beautiful illustrations!
Kristi Ehnis
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book introducing or reviewing the doctrines of God for children.
Shasta
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book - captivating, Biblical, sound theology, reader friendly, engaging, visually beautiful - I can't wait to use this when I get back to work.
Jeff
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for teaching children theology.
Tyler Eason
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good systematic theology-like book for kids. Some sections were less helpful (baptism), but for the most part, it explained and illustrated complex truths in a simple way for children.
  • The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • Found in Him: The Joy of the Incarnation and Our Union with Christ
  • Hillary Rodham Clinton: Some Girls Are Born to Lead
  • Meet the Boxcar Children  (Adventures of Benny and Watch)
  • I Am a Witch's Cat
  • Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?: Trusting God with a Hope Deferred
  • Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing
  • Dot.
  • The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child: Activity Book 1: Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor
  • I Pledge Allegiance
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • Tattered and Mended: The Art of Healing the Wounded Soul
  • Build, Dogs, Build: A Tall Tail
  • The Gospel Centered Woman: Understanding Biblical Womanhood through the Lens of the Gospel
  • Ella and Penguin Stick Together
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • Our Solar System
Marty Machowski is a Family Life Pastor at Covenant Fellowship Church, a Sovereign Grace Ministries church in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, where he has served on the pastoral staff for more than twenty years. As leader of their children’s ministry, Promise Kingdom, he has worked for many years to develop curriculum and devotional material that connect church and home. His passion is equipping familie ...more