Start by marking “The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2)

The Accidental Bride

(Bride Trilogy #2)

The tale of an awkward young woman perched reluctantly on the verge of marriage. Soon she finds herself truly falling in love with her intended, and in the process discovers a daring new attitude within herself.

Three unconventional women take a vow never to marry, only to find themselves overtaken by destiny. The "accidental" bride is Phoebe, the awkward one, who stumbles
Published July 6th 1999 by Bantam (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Bride

Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
I’ve never written (such a long) review for a book that I abandoned midway but there’s always a first time. The blurb seemed promising enough but this is a slow and tedious book and also pseudo historical in its essence despite pushing facts and figures from the era.

*With Spoilers*
The h has strange notions for a gel from the 17th century.
I don’t think having a full figure with childbearing hips was such a disaster in those days.
“I’m so fat,” she wailed.
Did girls in those times also craved to be
Riz
3.5~4 Stars

Giiilss, baru kali ini baca hisrom yg hero-nya pernah nikah 3 kali dan heroine-nya jadi istri ke-4... (total si hero aka Cato nikah 4 kali maaaan 😆😆)
Caz
I've given this a B for narration and a B- for content at AudioGals, so I suppose that's technically 3.75 stars!

Originally published in 1999, The Accidental Bride is the middle book in a trilogy set during the English Civil War, which features three rather unconventional young women all finding their way to true love. Before I start this review, however, I have to say that there are a number of things about this particular book which might prove problematic for some listeners, so I’m going to ge
Corduroy
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't get this book. Time is 1640s England, in the middle of the civil war. Heroine is a "clumsy" (OH NO ONE OF THOSE) upper-class girl who longs to be a poet and has forged a convenient series-starting alliance with two other girls who also don't want to get married. But who of course each get married in their own book, because COME ON.

Anyway, her older sister marries the Hero and then dies (off-screen) and the Heroine now has to marry him. The Hero is older (mid-30s) and needs an heir, and
Pamela Shropshire
I'm really enjoying this hist-rom series set during the English Civil War. Besides being an unusual period for this genre which is glutted with poorly written and historically inaccurate "Regencies", this series is well written and features quite unusual heroines, which is refreshing.

You remember this Robert Herrick poem?

A sweet disorder in the dress
Kindles in clothes a wantonness;
A lawn about the shoulders thrown
Into a fine distraction;
An erring lace, which here and there
Enthrals the crimson s
LadyS
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Egad, what is this..

As other readers have pointed out, the character connections in this novel are just....bizarre.. and OF course historically inaccurate. (imagine it, a woman marries her best friends father?...which is also her sisters husband?) I don't know what was the worst infraction..the terrible characters or the blatant inaccuracies. Sheesh

The heroine although traditionally *different* in comparison to most other heroines was a dishevelled, air head woman swooning sweetly over her thric
Juliana Philippa
Susan (the other Susan)
Eww. Seriously. I kept wanting to like these people or even see some chemistry between them, but it never happened. She didn't grow up; he never stopped seeming like a pedophile married to an annoying child. (One with wide hips, however, which means she will give him sons! Eww Galore.) Ergo, the love scenes - which, face it, are why I read this stuff - made me feel not just uneasy, but queasy. Now, these were the Dark Ages, and women/girls were basically just political pawns or brood animals, so ...more
Elle
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Three girls, Olivia, Phoebe, and Portia, escape a fussy wedding and bond over feelings of rejection and rebellion against the social expectations of their times. This trilogy plays out each of their stories.

The Accidental Bride features Phoebe, the clumsy, perpetually messy member of the trio. Her hero is Cato (did they actually have names like that back then?), the clueless uncle in Portia's story, Olivia's father. Cato was the groom at that early wedding, and Phoebe's sister was the bride. Ph
Liv
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
As the second book in the Bride Trilogy, I came in to this book so curious to see what transformation Cato's character would take on. After all, he marries his daughter, Olivia's friend, Phoebe (his widow's sister) and if that's not too close for comfort, I don't know what is. But, I suppose that Cato can easily take on Phoebe, as his wife because it's a calculated decision and it's much like picking out another hen from the henhouse, at least initially.

Cato is interesting because he plays an i
Tanya Sridhar
3/5 stars.

Mostly a quick, simple book. Nothing that really will stay with you.

The heroine is your straight up Plump, clumsy woman with a foot-in-mouth syndrome who's been in love with the hero forever, but he never seems to notice her.

He see's like as a duty and that's about it. But then she turns her life upside down.

It's okay as a one time read, but don't expect anything amazing.
Jessa
Something I enjoyed about this one is that Phoebe was a sexually curious virgin rather than a shy, retiring virgin. I liked that she was disappointed by the quick, boring sex Cato inflicted upon her because he was used to his past wives merely ~suffering~ through the marital act. But overall this book was a little on the unmemorable side.
Debby "Piene Raven"
Jane Feather is one of my fair weather authors but I truly enjoyed this story only due to the narration. It made for very nice listening on a long plane ride.

3.5 Stars
Amanda Ryan
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is my first read by Jane Feather, a prominent romance author. I picked this up at a library sale, and with my husband’s help (pick a hand, honey…right or left?), I chose to start digging into my hoard of books by selecting this one.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It was a near perfect balance of romance and raunch. Our heroine, Phoebe, is an enigmatic bumpkin, completely enamored with her husband, though she’s reluctant to show it because of his facade of total indifference. Cato, our hero
Kit★
I truly enjoyed this book. The character of Phoebe was great, I really could relate to her, and I was cheering her on through the whole book. Even Cato came off as stubborn and a bit controlling without being an ass, like a lot of other roms I've read. The development of their relationship was sweet, and the love scene at the barracks was... nice. :) I'll definitely want to read the rest of this trilogy.
(The above review is from first reading 8/16-18/2010)
(Below is review of re-read)
I recently
Lin Stepp
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really got into Jane Feather books reading the three Brides Trilogy books - following the lives of three unusual girls, Olivia, Portia, and Phoebe - independent, strong-headed regency young women who swore not to marry and wanted to make something of their lives. This one was about Phoebe - who finds herself having to marry her dead sister's husband. It was common practice for a widower to marry his sister-in-law ... but Phoebe wanted nothing of it. Cato's reasons for marrying Phoebe were prac ...more
Nic
Mar 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I should have known I wouldn't like this-I do not enjoy Cromwell's England (really the period between 1500-1699 does not interest me, I don't know why)but I gave it a shot and I disliked it. One: there is no kissing that I can remember in the whole book. What is a romance novel with no kissing? Two: Did Cato ever really fall in love with our frumpy, dumpy (but curvalicious and...utterly boring)heroine, or did he just have a good roll in the hay for once in his many years of changing wives? Three ...more
Angela
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it

This one is the second book of a amazing series. Sorry if you don't feel the same way as I do but I like this novels. Especially when theyre friends from the time they're small and them one by one they tend to get married.

I love the story of Cato and Phoebe.
It's hard when your husband is your brother in law and by law you should marry him so the money would be kept in the family. That sucks. But even Cato have 2 dead wives the only one he loves is Phoebe which means that true love really waits.
Audra
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
I love reading books set in the past, especially Europe. Not sure why but it just seems romantic. This book was adventurous even though a little predictable. Two things I didn't enjoy, the politics and the fact that Phoebe married her dead sister's husband. I still get the yuck factor from that!
Ana
Oct 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I did not care for it at all. I found the fact that Phoebe was to wed one of her best friend's father simply too creepy. Even the attempt to get his attention with new risqué gowns, while in the company of his daughter no less, was just so uncomfortable to me. Yuck.
Anjula
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hero is a controlling jerk who marries his dead wife's sister, aka his daughter's bestie. I have no idea why they like each other.
Ashley Schuster
Spoilers.

I enjoyed that Cato, at first, was very dismissive and how he slowly but passionately came around. I loved how Phoebe was sucked into Brian's plot but was so super savvy and came around! I love a smart, headstrong heroine that is actually smart enough to suss this stuff out! Very refreshing! I only wish there'd been more angst, but otherwise, despite a long hiatus during which I constantly thought about the story, I was hooked! On my read-again list, for sure! Also, loved that it was 17
Janine
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was ok - not as good as the first one. It was if there had been a lot of time between Portia was married - now has 2 kids in 4 years... Also it seemed as if Phoebe and Olivia didn't age between the first book and the second. They seem still to be teenagers.
I just wish it would have explained that better. Actual dates do not help much except when it comes to the war - and what is happening in actual history. Maybe say 4 years later in 1687...
Patrizia
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Non conoscevo l'autrice, ed è stata una gradevole sorpresa. La trama (un misto di amore e avventura un po' alla Walter Scott) è vivace, i personaggi accattivanti, e l'ambientazione storica (gli eventi legati alla rivoluzione di Cromwell e alla guerra civile inglese) originale e ricostruita con grande cura. Non so proprio se leggere gli altri romanzi della serie: la delusione è in agguato..
Annegret
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
A so-so romance novel elevated by an AMAZING heroine. Phoebe and her irrefutable belief in doing what she thinks is right no matter what are truly a treat. Special shoutout to the lesbian plant healer about whom I would for sure read a stand-alone novel.
Lynne Tull
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the characters in this story. I was glad to see some of the characters from the first story spilled over into this own. Hope I am not giving to much away, but I was glad that for once one of the characters didn't do anything stupid to move the story along. Recommend.
Melania Ramona
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Interesting, but it didn't really "click" for me. The story was boring at times.
EB
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hahahahahaha, oh Goddddd. OH God.

Okay. Let me start this off by saying: I have some very specific and odd kinks. (I also have odd and specific squicks, but this doesn’t go there.) This book hit so, so, so many of them.

This is the second in Jane Feather’s Bride trilogy and focuses on The Clumsy, Chubby One, Phoebe. Oh, dear God, did it hit so many spots for me. First of all, Phoebe is Olivia’s best friend and Diana’s younger sister. Olivia’s father, Cato, Marquis of Granville, marries Diana in t
Truusje
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: osrbc-old-school
Reading this book was a bit of a struggle for me. I almost gave up on it several times but in the end I managed to persevere (though I was very happy to have reached the end). I started it while I was still suffering from a mild book hangover and I hadn’t read the first book in the series, so The Accidental Bride and myself didn’t really start off on a good foot. Moreover, the 17th century isn’t my favourite time period and I didn’t know anything about the English Civil War. In fact, I even had ...more
Ione
Started this because I'm a fan of plus-sized/insecure heroines and of bluestockings too.

The story focusses on Phoebe, an 18 year old poet who is in love with her brother in law, Cato. The elder sister is dead and poor Phoebe is bartered off as a replacement by her father, who was a jerk and showed favouritism to the deceased sister. Oh and her best friend is his daughter.

Now I'm all for a large age gap, but it weirded me out that she was living in his house practically like a daughter then he up
  • The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Heaven Sent (Small Town Swains)
  • Dreaming
  • Lord of the Night
  • The Matchmaker (Once Upon A Time, #6)
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • My Darling Caroline
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Redemption (Devereaux, #6)
  • Undone
  • The Perfect Wife
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • High Jinx (Blackford Oakes Mystery #7)
  • The Marriage Contract (Marriage, #3)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • If You Love Me (Mackinnon, #7)
Jane Robotham was born on 1945 in Cairo, Egypt, where her British parents were stationated. She grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She earned a Master’s Degree in Applied Social Studies from Oxford University. In 1978, she, her husband and their three children moved to New Jersey. There, she worked as a social worker. She began writing in 1981 after another move, this time to Washingt ...more

Bride Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Hostage Bride (Bride #1)
  • The Least Likely Bride (Bride, #3)