Start by marking “Girl Sent Away” as Want to Read:
Girl Sent Away

Girl Sent Away

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Toby Sedgwick is terrified by his daughter's increasingly reckless behavior and takes a tough love approach, enrolling Ava in Mount Hope, a wilderness behavioral camp for troubled teens. Ava quickly realizes that the camp is little more than a prison, warehousing and abusing kids for their parents' money. And after spending a disturbing weekend completing the parent portio ...more
Published November 4th 2015 by SixOneSeven Books

To ask other readers questions about Girl Sent Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Sent Away

Aisling
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a terrific read. I'm not sure if it's considered YA fiction but it could be. Two very well blended plots. One is the current behavior of a teenager and what happens when she is sent to a residential, wilderness camp for behavior modification. The backstory is the teen's emerging memories of the death of her mother and sister almost a decade previous in the 2004 Tsunami. Having experienced the tsunami myself (on the other side of the Indian Ocean) I found the author's descriptions incre ...more
Annie Weatherwax
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book ! Bravo Lynne Griffin ! This is a MUST READ
Arlene Morrell
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Liked the premise of the book. This one fell short for me. It just did not grab me and hold my attention.
Jeannine Harbison
Wow. This book is quite a ride. A teenaged girl, coming of age with unresolved issues going back to the death of her mother and sister is sent away to a wilderness camp. The treatment is more than unorthodox, it is abusive and the account is such a nightmare... I can't help but wonder if these places exist, but according to the author, they do and it is terrifying! I enjoyed the fast pace of the story and grew very invested in the family involved. Highly recommend!
Phyllis
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by Griffin. I like her writing style very much. I do believe this could be considered a YA book, the subject matter would appeal to them.
Autumn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome I was sexually and physically abused for two years at a program in Utah called Provo Canyon School. I am so happy that awareness is being raised.
Sharon
I won a copy of Girl Sent Away through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

At his wit's end over his daughter Ava's reckless behavior, Toby Sedgwick enrolls her at Mount Hope, a wilderness camp for troubled teens. Unaware that the camp's methods for inspiring obedience in the kids borders on abuse, Toby is hopeful that he will get his loving daughter back. Learning the truth about the place during a weekend visit, Toby ta
Bob Schueler
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written and crafted novel that follows a father and daughter as they struggle to recover from trauma and loss. It is also an indictment of wilderness boot camps for troubled teens by a practicing school and family counselor and, as such, has the kind of authentic detail and perspective lacking in most books that deal with social service issues. The story is touching and exciting by turns, and the language is often lyrical and stunning. Major and minor characters are well-cr ...more
Glenda
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ditched
Uggh I got 3/4 of the way through and just didn’t care about any of it so I ditched it. This had to be a young adult book as it was so juvenile and boring.
Amy
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
You know how sometimes you sit down to read a book and you wonder if you're in the right mood for it? That maybe it is going to be heavier than you'd like right now, and you think you need something lighter?

That was me when I started Girl Sent Away. By the third page, however, I was hooked. I assigned my freshmen some independent work just so I could hide at my desk and read. Unfortunately, this occurred during a part in the book that made me cry, so I had to claim contact lens issues.

Ava and he
Joharis
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, family-issues
I was really pulled towards this book because of such an interesting premise. I thought it was going to deal with father\daughter relationship, the two of them getting through such a horrible experience, learning to cope and to communicate with each other... I felt like the book wanted to be like that but failed horribly and instead we got this mediocre story.

First of all, was I supposed to sympathize the main character? She was annoying and selfish. I couldn't, EVER(and hopefully, will never) u
Liz
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Girl Sent Away by Lynne Griffin is the story of Ava, a teenager troubled by the loss of her mother and sister at an early age. As her behavior becomes worse, her father decides it is time to get help and sends her to a “school” for troubled teens, Mount Hope. But the school is not the helpful, peaceful place described in the brochure. This book is a good story and a very fast read, great for a weekend or a long plane ride. I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Julianna
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on goodreads. The first half of the book was hard to get in to. A lot of times in during the first half there were gaps I wish the author had filled in. You didn't really know all the details of what was going on at the camp. Part 2 was much better. It stayed engaging and kept me reading. The ending of the book felt unfinished though.
Maile
Apr 27, 2017
margie doughan
Oct 03, 2016
Melissa
rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2018
Amy
Jan 19, 2017
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2015.46: Girl Sent Away 11 36 Dec 03, 2015 10:50AM
The Perks Of Bein...: Novel Giveaway 1 13 Oct 16, 2015 07:13AM
  • Giving Up the Ghosts: Short-Lived Occult Detective Series by Six Renowned Authors
  • Crash Course: Essays From Where Writing and Life Collide
  • Watch the Face of the Sky (Circle, #3)
  • The Line Painter
  • The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2)
  • What She Left Us
  • Dancing the River Lightly
  • About the B'nai Bagels
  • Marazan
  • Heads You Lose (Inspector Cockrill #1)
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • The Trouble with Joe: Someone Like Her
  • Some Must Watch
  • Blood Feud
  • The Best of Robert Heinlein
  • My Wife's Affair
  • The Adventures of Alianore Audley
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
LYNNE GRIFFIN is an acclaimed novelist and a nationally recognized expert on family life. She is the author of the novels, SEA ESCAPE (Simon & Schuster, 2010) and LIFE WITHOUT SUMMER (St. Martin’s Press, 2009). Her third novel GIRL SENT AWAY (SixOneSeven) will be published in November 2015, along with the companion guide LET'S TALK ABOUT IT: ADOLESCENT MENTAL HEALTH.

Lynne is also the author of
More about Lynne Griffin

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Tell The Wolves I'm Home
    $12.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows