Start by marking “The Two Ways: The Early Christian Vision of Discipleship from the Didache and the Shepherd of Hermas” as Want to Read:

How did earliest Christians receive and understand the teaching of Jesus and the apostles? These writings, among the earliest used in training new disciples, show a clear, vibrant, practical faith concerned with all aspects of discipleship in daily life—vocation, morality, family life, social justice, the sacraments, prophesy, citizenship, and leadership.

For the most part,
Published June 1st 2018 by Plough Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about The Two Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two Ways

Start your review of The Two Ways: The Early Christian Vision of Discipleship from the Didache and the Shepherd of Hermas
Nathan Albright
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2018
[Note: This book was provided free of charge by Plough Publishing House and Edelweiss/Net Gallery. All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

Having already read and made myself familiar with the collection of apostolic fathers and even started writing at some length about them [1], I came across this book somewhat by chance, as the publisher sent me an e-mail requesting a review since I had reviewed a previous book of theirs. While I do not think the publisher was aware that the Apostolic Fathers
Joan
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I read and review scores of books by current authors describing how they think contemporary Christianity is to be practiced. But what did early Christians think about how they were to practice their faith? Two early documents are included in this short book as examples of the earliest nonbiblical Christian writings. There is also a lengthy Introduction by Rowan Williams.

I was introduced to the Didache several years ago. It is the earliest document we have that explains training disciples in
Joel Everett
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an early bird review for “The Two Ways” published by Plough Publishing House and edited by Veery Huleatt.
“The Two Ways” contains the complete text of the “The Didache” and excerpts from “The Shepherd of Hermas.” These are two ancient Christian texts from the Patristic era.
The translation from Greek into English was provided by Michael W. Holmes and is very readable.
There is little commentary beyond the introduction provided by Archbishop Rowan William and thus the reader is allowed to
Christopher Brown
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rowan Williams' introduction to this small volume is worth the cost of the whole book. By explaining the political context of the early Church and how the Lordship of Jesus relativizes the legitimacy of all earthly rulers, Williams shows why the strict behavioral standards in the Didache and Shepherd of Hermas matter so much. Christian ethics, as described in these early Church writings, are a matter of obeying Jesus Christ as Lord instead of the false lords of the world, whether they be our ...more
Nelson Banuchi
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I found Rowan Williams introduction more interesting than the rest of the book.

Although there were some portions of the Didache and Shepherd that were found engaging and inspiring, I found this translation to be drab. As a Christian, I also need to say that, from my perspective, these two translated works seem to demonstrate how early the Christians have drifted from the center of faith in Christ.

Perhaps it's just me... but I was disappointed with this book.
Darrin Niday
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, seem more like a history book reading this old Christian documents from early centuries. As a Christian I don't quite agree with everything in the book but had a lot of good things in it and I did enjoy again the history andrean such old documents.
Anthony Giles
Anthony Bell
Jan 14, 2020
The Baron
Jan 15, 2020
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.