Start by marking “Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)

Age of Myth

(The Legends of the First Empire #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  20,405 ratings  ·  2,167 reviews
What does it mean if the gods can be killed?

Since time immemorial, humans have worshipped the gods they call Fhrey, truly a race apart: invincible in battle, masters of magic, and seemingly immortal. But when a god falls to a human blade, the balance of power between men and those they thought were gods changes forever.

Now, only a few stand between humankind and annihila
Published June 28th 2016 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Age of Myth, please sign up.
Michael Pete Kim said: dearest michael, i FORBID you to talk to patrick rothfuss, lol!

Haha - I don't think they would "take my call" I'm such a peon in…more
Pete Kim said: dearest michael, i FORBID you to talk to patrick rothfuss, lol!

Haha - I don't think they would "take my call" I'm such a peon in respects to the likes of them. They're response would be, "Michael who?"

Yesterday I finished The Death of Dulgath (the third book in the Riyria Chronciles so that makes 5 books in 2 1/2 years. Yes, they'll need some editing, and I don't control the release date for most of them, but I'm hoping to go through the alpha and beta process on books #2 - #5 in relatively short order.
(less)
Michael Yes he is! He's been signed to all six books, so I'll be following him around to make sure he doesn't step of a curb and get hit by a bus. An…moreYes he is! He's been signed to all six books, so I'll be following him around to make sure he doesn't step of a curb and get hit by a bus. An unfortunate event of that type is the only thing that would prevent him from voicing them all.

In fact...tomorrow I leave for New York. Gonna have dinner with Tim to thank him for all his amazing work and to discuss some ideas for character voices. Then, I'll sit in on the first two days of recordings. So I'll get to hear Age of Myth before everyone else. It's good to be me!(less)

·  20,405 ratings  ·  2,167 reviews

Emily May
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy, 2016
This is why I no longer read much epic fantasy.

The genre is so... familiar. Perhaps its unfair to blame Age of Myth for that. Perhaps the real culprit is the limitations of this genre (or the perceived limitations at least) because all epic fantasy series contain the same or similar elements, they blend into one, they all start to look the same after a while, and they all start to look like A Song of Ice and Fire.

Sullivan is a competent writer with a flowing style that doesn't suffer from the sa
Michael
Feb 17, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
As I'm sure everyone here knows, this is my own book so I'm not going to be reviewing/rating it. But I do think people might be interested in its progression so here goes.

Update 01/27/19: Wow, has it really been almost two years since I've had anything new to say about this book? That's crazy! Well I'm happy to say that Del Rey has done a new temporary price drop. So for the next week or so you can get the ebook for just $1.99 (usually $9.99) so that's a savings of 80%! So, if you haven't start
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Update: $1.99 on US Kindle today 9-13-17

I freaking loved this book and I now have new favorite author! I can't wait to read more of his books!

In the days of darkness before the war, men were called Rhunes. We lived in Rhuneland or Rhulyn as it was once known. We had little to eat and much to fear. What we feared most were the gods across the Bern River, where we were not allowed. Most people believe out conflict with the Fhrey started at the Battleground of Grandford, but it actually began on a
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Brandon Sanderson, The Lumatere Chronicles, Seven Realms Series and Arya Stark
Audible 4th of July Deal Sale until 07Jul18 $5.95

4.75 We're all going to Die Stars

Read with some of my fellow MJS lovers at Buddies Books and Baubles

ஓ Why Should You Give A Book By Michael J Sullivan A Try??? ஓ

You might be saying There are a million good and even great fantasy series out there so what makes this one worthwhile Robin?

Well I’ll tell you potential MJS converts a few of the things I love about MJS’s writing in general and this book specifically.

- Even though this is book one of hi
Melanie
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Age of Myth is set 3,000 years before the the Riyria Revelations, but don't be scared because this series is meant to be read separately and there will be no spoilers if you haven't completed it or even started it.

This book also kind of gave me a Mistborn vibe, because each chapter starts out with a passage from The book of Brin. But unlike Mistborn, there isn't much of a mystery, because we are quickly introduced to B
Michael
Apr 12, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
1/27/2019 - The ebook version of Age of Myth is on sale for a very limited amount of time ($1.99 rather than $9.99). Not sure what stores the sale will be at but I've seen it on Amazon and B&N.com (nook) so far.

A reader pointed out to me that I had multiple reviews/updates threads going - Doh! I've merged them so No future updates to this. To see the updates you can go to this link.

Petrik
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic Fantasy fans
3.5/5 Stars

It’s always a great feeling when you start a new series from an author and to find out that he/she has improved his storytelling skill. Well done Michael J Sullivan, a job well done.

After reading that opening sentence, you’ll probably think "what’s this dude talking about when he rated the book only 3.5/5 stars?”, let me enlighten you a bit on why and to do this, I'll have to compare my experience on Age of Myth with The Crown Conspiracy (the first book in 'Riyria Revelations' series
Choko
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, advanture
*** 4.75 ***

A buddy read with the Fantasy lovers at BB&B!

07-23-17... Just a quick re-read before the next book comes out:):):)

First re-read rating *** 5 +++++***

What was I thinking the first time, holding off with 0.25 points???? This is a pure delight and so well told, our generation is lucky to have such a wonderful, natural storyteller!!!!! It was better the second time around!

When I bought this book I thought it was a safe bet for a solid read, since I have read other books by this au
Mischenko
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see this review and others, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan is the first book in the Legends of the First Empire series. I've been wanting to read Michael Sullivan's books for some time and decided I'd start with Age of Myth after learning that it was the first book in a new series and in the Riyria world 3,000 years prior. I went into the book completely blind, not having a clue what to expect.

I'll start by saying I enjoyed this fantasy world. I lov
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
$1.99 Kindle sale, Jan. 31, 2019. 4.5 stars. The beginning of a great epic fantasy series!

Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

With Age of Myth, Michael J. Sullivan begins a prequel series to his RYRIA CHRONICLES and RYRIA REVELATIONS series. The good news for newcomers to his books is that, since this series takes place about 3,000 years earlier, you don’t need to be familiar with either of those series or the world of Elan to enjoy this new LEGENDS OF THE FIRST EMPIRE series, so I
Haïfa
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Age of Myth is the first book of Michael J. Sullivan newest series, the Legends of the First Empire. Set 3000 years before the timeline of Riyria Revelations, the series aspires to set the record straight and tell the truth behind the myths shrouding the First Empire's creation.

Age of Myth's stunning cover, designed by Marc Simonetti

Being a huge fan of the Riyria Revelations and Chronicles, it was pretty obvious for me that I would seek to read the new story Michael J. Sullivan has written in th
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/06/23/...

Any new Michael J. Sullivan novel automatically becomes a must-read for me, and Age of Myth was certainly no exception. It hardly mattered that this story actually takes place thousands of years before the Riyria Revelations and the Riyria Chronicles, well before the beloved characters of Hadrian and Royce even existed; I just couldn’t wait to revisit the world of Elan again.

For readers new to Sullivan’s work, this would
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Michael J. Sullivan is an author for whom I have the utmost respect. Not only is he a gentleman in dealing with fans and detractors alike, but his ability to pen entertaining fantasy in the classic mold has been a real breath of fresh air for a genre lacking that traditional flavor. Indeed, I will proudly tell anyone who asks that Hadrian Balckwater and Royce Melborn from The Riyria Revelations and The Riyria Chronicles are two of my favorite fantasy duos ever
Helen 2.0
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me concur with all my friends' five star reviews and tell you that this world, these characters, this story, is friggin awesome.

As a prequel that requires no prior knowledge of the setting, the Legends of the First Empire series plays in the same world as the Riyria Chronicles, only many centuries before when ordinary humans ("Rhunes") lived in fear of their long-lived cousins, the Fhrey. In this age, the Rhunes have always seen the Fhrey as divine immortal overlords - until the day ordinary
TS Chan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the start, just the turning of leaves. Winter is still on its way.

Michael J. Sullivan is one of the authors on my auto-buy list. Ever since I've finished his Riyria series (both Revelations and Chronicles), I've been recommending them to my family and friends either as a gateway to fantasy or as a breath of fresh air amidst all the grimdark fantasy. And in just a short space of a year, I've reread all of Riyria and was hungry for more of his stories.

Age of Myth was more than up to t
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Aug 2017 - Reread is done and it was great. Looking forward to Age of Swords.

Book review. Author review.

You know how you sometimes don’t feel like reading a specific genre? Maybe you are just tired of it and need a break, or maybe it’s just a plain ol’ book funky. Regardless, it happens. And it sucks.

Luckily, once in a while an author comes along with juuuuuust the right remedy for your ailment. That does not always happen though. Chance plays a part, and more often than not, such a miserable fe
J.P. Ashman
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIIIIIIVE GOOOOOOLD RIIIIIIINGS STAAAAAARS!

Okay, that would have worked better last month.

Truth is, this book thoroughly clicked with me, or I with it.

Humorous and easy to follow, very easy, but not to say it was 'simple' in any way. There were indeed twists and turns - an impressive one at the end of the book - and it kept me listening (Audible) at every given opportunity. The narration was spot on, too.

Magic and 'gods' and a cool, bronze age setting that offered something different to the medi
Chris
My review and rating are based on the 2nd beta version of this book; the final published edition will likely be changed a bit.

But not as much as you might think. While it will need some tweaking to give it a more polished story, this book is pretty awesome as it is now. I've been a fan of Michael J. Sullivan for a few years now, and he has never disappointed. Fans of his Riyria works will be on this book like a fat kid on a glazed donut.

What happens in this book? I won't tell. One, I don't revea
Michael Britt
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better the second time around!

EDIT:In honor of Age of Swords release, today, I've added this review to my blog. You can check it out here.

As usual, it's a spoiler free review. There is one spoiler at the end, but I'll have it marked.

I read Sullivan's books in a weird order; I started with Age of Myth then moved on to Riyria. While I still enjoyed each and every book, I wish I would've read this after Riyria. The first time around I fell in love with this book, but reading it after Riyria w
Jenna Kathleen
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
I've been having a really hard time deciding what to write in this review. I absolutely loved the book, but every time I think about it, I can't help but compare it to Riyria.

It's natural, I think, to compare the two. First, of course, both series are by the same author, but being in the same world makes it hard to set aside Riyria when talking about Legends. Because they are in the same world, the early history of Elan that is told in this series is referenced, often incorrectly, in Riyria. The
Terence
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-and-galleys
From a human perspective the Fhrey are gods. They appear to be immortal, they are unbeatable in battle, and they utilize magic no human can hope to match. All these notions are shattered like glass when a rock flies through it in the form of a human blade that kills a Fhrey. That blade was wielded by a young human man named Raithe. Raithe is now known as something else, the God Killer. The Fhrey not appreciating one of their own being killed by a filthy stinking rhune, retaliate by destroying tw ...more
Chris
I was provided an ebook copy of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley

But then I bought a first edition hardcover too :)

Well, that took me a long time to finish, didn't it? You'd think that reflects on the book, right? Except, not this time. I had my reasons.

First, this was a re-read. Yes, though it was a new book I started, it was my second pass through this particular story. As stated in my initial review of the novel I was selected to be a beta reader nearly two years ago. This time
Argona
I enjoyed reading "Age of Myth" in a buddy read with my dear friend, Nicole.

I have to point out that I haven’t read “The Riyria Revelations”, so there were too many strange unfamiliar names at the beginning, making it hard for me to connect with the story.

The story was well-written and the author has a very nice writing style. The characterization was quite good. The main characters were well-developed, easy to relate to and likable, but most of them reminded me too much of characters from famo
Bradley
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!

This happens to be my entry tome into Michael J. Sullivan's fantasy, so all I'm bringing into it is what I know of the epic fantasy genre.

That being said, a few themes really stood out, with Art-wielding immortals, the Fhrey, looking down upon the ignorant savages, the Rhunes, who are nothing of the sort, being tribes of normal humans taught to revere and fear the gods which inhabit the lands, with one new twist: A man named Raithe killed a god.

It shouldn't have h
Philip
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4ish stars.

I've read enough classical fantasy to know exactly which tropes to expect and to predict how almost every plotline resolves. Everyone has their spin on it, but it all essentially boils down to being at least 80% identical. Of course, I like it enough that I keep on reading the stuff even though I end up being underwhelmed a lot of the time.

There's honestly not a whole lot here that's groundbreaking. The difference is that it's just written so dang well. I had a blast reading from cov
Emma
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Michael J. Sullivan is a gifted story teller! For those of us who have read his Riyria series, we of course already know this. But this author is no one trick wonder. This story was wonderful. The pacing, action, plot reveals, setting and context, the characters- all fabulous. For want of a better word, there is something 'friendly' about the authors style that is satisfying and heartwarming. And best of all, we are left with questions for the next installments to answer.
Rob
Executive Summary: As I've come to expect with Mr. Sullivan, this book was a lot of fun. I'm glad to know that the rest of the series is already written, because I don't want to wait for the next book.

Audiobook: Anyone whose read my reviews or had a recommendation from me knows how much I like Tim Gerard Reynolds. Mr. Sullivan knows how good he is too, and made it a point to get him on board for the audio book before even selling his book rights. He does not disappoint here, and I'll once again
Pamela J. (Fantasy Book Nook)
Review: When I first read the synopsis above, I was unsure of this book. On the one hand, it sounded intriguing. On the other, it didn’t provide enough information for me to gauge whether I would personally enjoy it. I have never read any of Michael Sullivan’s novels, but it’s my understanding that this book is set in the same universe as some of his other series, only at a different point in time. Regardless, it’s a standalone series and I didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything by not r ...more
Chip
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could rate this book higher than 5, I would. Let me begin by saying if you like other books by Michael J. Sullivan, you will love this book. If you enjoy Brandon Sanderson, you will love this book. If you love good strong fantasy with excellent worldbuilding and character development, you will love this book. If you don't enjoy great fantasy books, you may not enjoy this book (or his writing in general).

Before I go further, I want to make it clear that I received an electronic copy of this
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Buddy read starting today with some buddies at Buddies Books and Baubles

Before reading the book
A new series by MJS
description

So much YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

The aftermath
I finished this book two days back and I still can't get my mind off it completely.
Second book, where are you?

In short, this book is about Raithe who kills a god by accident (it might not have been a real god but just perceived as a god by the human race but never mind that now) and thus starts a rebellion.

As epic fantasy with little gore

• The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
  • Attrition: the First Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #1)
  • Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
  • When the Heavens Fall (The Chronicles of the Exile, #1)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1)
  • The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • Circle of Reign (The Dying Lands Chronicle, #1)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind, #1)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
The Age of Legend (one of Goodreads Hottest Releases of Summer) comes out July 9th in hardcover, ebook, and audio. Pre-order you copy now!

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Post bestselling author with 7 Goodreads Choice Award Nominations.

I first opened the door to my imagination with typewriter key

The Legends of the First Empire (6 books)
  • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
  • Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3)
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire #6)
“That’s what a good wife does, keeps your dreams alive even when you don’t believe anymore” 36 likes
“Fools believe silence is a void needing to be filled; the wise understand there's no such thing as silence.” 28 likes