Start by marking “Choosing God's Best: Wisdom for Lifelong Romance” as Want to Read:
Choosing God's Best: Wisdom for Lifelong Romance

Choosing God's Best: Wisdom for Lifelong Romance

Make a God Choice, Not Just a Good Choice

Published March 1st 2006 by Multnomah Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Choosing God's Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choosing God's Best

Start your review of Choosing God's Best: Wisdom for Lifelong Romance
Daniel Joshua
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I appreciate what's he's trying to say, but I didn't like this book.
Probably because I don't like squishy self-help books and sappy anecdotes.
How about we all just not be idiots...this could also be why I'm still single.
People are still in a reaction to Josh Harris I guess. That's fine by me.
Adam Ziarnik
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Remembering my days of being single - This was the best & most helpful book on dating that I ever read. I applied & I internalized what I learned from Raunikar - as I write this I've been happily married for over 8 years :) ...more
Luke
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book on relationships, iconoclast in some of the same ways as ‘I Kissed Dating Goodbye,’ but with a more mature outlook and a wealth of counseling experience to back up his convictions.

Summary: Raunikar advocates ‘courtship’ over ‘dating,’ characterizing dating as directionless and courtship as an accountable path to marriage. Important distinctives would be that Christian courtship requires accountability (preferably by an older, married couple that walks with God); Christ
Jeremy Zilkie
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of "Choosing God's Best". When I first read it in 1999 it was revolutionary regarding what is taught on dating, courtship, being ready for marriage, and the blessing of being purposeful in the relationship process.

Acknowledged negatives:
-The book has become dated since it was first written.
-The examples of courtship do not translate well in non-traditional relationships where the persons are not from their home of origin or have aged out of that opportunity.
-It does touch on lega
Joseph Reitano
May 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Christianbook.com:
Make a God Choice, Not Just a Good Choice. Many Christian singles today are in pain. Wounded from past relationships, overwhelmed at being single longer than they expected, devastated at finding themselves single again. Eighteen- to sixty-year-olds will welcome the timely, biblically based approach Dr. Raunikar offers as he encourages them along the path to Choosing God's Best: healing from the past; learning how to avoid the pain of "counterfeit oneness" physically, emot
Jennie
Mar 09, 2007 rated it liked it
this book is dryer than i kissed dating goodbye, but the concepts are still good.
Matthew Mendenhall
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down: The best book on Christian courtship I have ever read. It outlines a process that ditches the failed and hurtful dating process for a biblical process of courtship. The reason why dating fails is because it’s built to facilitate the means (means such as putting on a show or a facade) to an end (ends such as sexual touch, emotional needs met by another person, and spiritual growth sown by your mate and not your own intuition).
Be warned: It’s traditional. No fear, you social progressiv
Kaitlyn S.
Wow . . . This book had a lot of good information in it!

I totally agreed with pretty much everything Dr. Raunikar wrote, and I loved the emphasis he put on needing to have accountability throughout the courtship process. The importance of parents, and honouring them throughout life -- even when you are an older single, or are married -- was well explained and biblically correct.

I appreciated his approach to the whole guy/girl relationship realm, as well. It was well balanced, in a realistic so
Loraine Gabriel
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I truly thank God I have come across this book.

This is not only for Christian Singles, but for anyone in pursuit of romantic love. Dr. Raunikar's biblical perspective on romance has opened my mind to what God has inspired marriage to be.

The book also gave me thoughts to ponder for general living. Thumbs up!

Personally, the first pages threw me off as I thought "oh, this is only gonna be a 'Couples Guide To Marriage'" and I don't agree on some concepts of the table thing Dr. Raunikar gave.

Be in
Jeffrey Zamor
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read to gain God’s perspective on searching for God’s prefect mate for you. So much great information and examples on the ideal way to courtship. I recommend this book to any single Christian to pick up and read and trust what God has already for you.
Jacob Rutledge
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Legitimately Changed my life....
Bradley
While I do believe courtship is the way to go, this book seemed a bit legalistic and naive. I agree its ideal that spiritual oneness should come before emotional and physical oneness however while physical oneness needs to wait emotional oneness is not something we have utter control over and I think develops alongside spiritual oneness. I also think that staying in timelines can be really odd and inauthentic; a relationship has to be somewhat natural. "Well honey we've been doing side hugs for ...more
Katy Kauffman
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book on courtship! It talks about how to grow spiritually, focusing on more than just dating. It also shows the progression of closeness between a guy and a girl from acquaintance to friend to close friend to courting, etc. It made me slow down and think about dating from God's perspective. I had the privilege of hearing the author speak when he visited my church when I was in the youth group. Very down-to-earth and practical, and he cared about the teenagers.
Jennifer Tse
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
This is a great book about why God's commandments and guidelines about romantic relationships work best. It helped me gain stronger convictions about my beliefs in this area. I also feel more blessed about the hurt that was prevented from following God and my church's stance on this issue. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to know God's view on romance and how to choose God's best for you.
Maria Sitorus
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: soul-fulfillment
This book has totally changed my paradigm in seeing relationship. I even feel so secure even though I enter a full of relationship world. That doesn't mean i need no partner but I am not pressured to be with someone. I just don't see that as a focus. My focus is part - my potential. Just do my best and God will do rest.
Kristina
Aug 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
I read this book cause a friend gave it to me. I didn't like this book since it mostly talked about courtship and made me want to breakup with my boyfriend and basically start our whole relationship over by doing courtship instead of dating.
Em Ormiston
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: understand the way that romance was meant to be.
Recommended to Em by: all those working on relationships (premaritally).
For all of those folks that never learned what it meant to court and be courted, this is a great find! It takes you through the biblical progression of courtship and the way that God would have us find true love, the way it was intended.
Adrian
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The greatest book I have ever read about relationships. Very practical and inspiring!
Amber
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a better way....
Kim
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
a great read for those single and wanting to enter into Godly marriages.
Mary Ann
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best adult courtship book I have read. It goes beyond theory and justification to include practical application. Clear, Biblical and not prudish.
Maggie Gathuku
A powerful guide for every single out there!
Diannablack123gmail.Com
The first 2 were the best, went downhill from there, but still a great read
Carol Schultz
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of thoughtful observations. Worth a read for all grandparents, parents, and singles from 16 to 60.
Chinkee
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Abi Las
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You have to read this book especially all those who are single
Lya Anggraini
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The kind of book I always avoid to read, yet I found it truthful and profound. Exactly what I need right now. It's answering all my questions about relationship.
Becky
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Becky by: Carrie Shelhaus
This is part of my story in deciding to marry my fiance.
Dorothy **Book Reviewer**

• Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World
  • Number the Stars
  • What Hearts
  • Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery
  • The Three Battlegrounds: An In-Depth View of the Three Arenas of Spiritual Warfare: The Mind, the Church and the Heavenly Places
  • My Utmost for His Highest
  • I am Providence
  • S (Ring, #5)
  • Ladies First: Revelations of a Strong Woman
  • Shakedown Street
  • Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself
  • Abba's Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging