Start by marking “The Girls from See Saw Lane (Brighton Girls Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Girls from See Saw Lane (Brighton Girls Trilogy, #2)

The Girls from See Saw Lane (Brighton Girls Trilogy #2)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  901 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
Brighton 1963. Mary Pickles and I walked along the street with our arms linked, looking in shop windows. We were best friends and together we were invincible.

Dottie and Mary forged a friendship over a bag of penny sweets when they were eight years old. They’ve shared everything together since then – the highs and lows of school, family dramas, hopes and dreams and now, at
Published December 4th 2015 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Girls from See Saw Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls from See Saw Lane

Brenda
Mary Pickles and Dottie Perks had been best friends since they were eight years old – now, it was 1963 in Brighton and they were both seventeen years old; working together in Woolworths and having the best time they could at the beach, checking out the shops, buying records with their pay. Mary’s plans for the future always included Dottie – seeing the world, standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower with the boy she loved – Dottie didn’t want to leave Brighton, but she always agreed with Mary.

Whe
Jules
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Girls from See Saw Lane is a nostalgic, heart-breaking and tragic coming of age tale set in the 1960s.

The main focus is on two best friends, Mary Pickles and Dottie Perks (I love those names), who met as children and grow up into young women together.

This touching story covers the trials and tribulations of adolescence, first love, mistakes, regrets, jealousy, betrayal, and the harrowing impact it can have on one’s own life as well friends and family.

There were so many things I loved about
Holly
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, netgalley
I wasn't sure at first whether I would like this book or not. The writing seemed very immature at the beginning, and yes, I realize that the girls were very young at first, but I hoped that the writing wouldn't continue like that. I'm happy to say that it didn't! The writing got stronger as the book got further in the story. I ended up really enjoying the friendship of Dottie and Mary. The story was about their friendship and all the ups and downs that came with it. There was laughter, tears, bo ...more
Debbie
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!
Oh the days when little girls could off by themselves into town and their biggest concern was what candy they were going to buy with their nickel or dime. That's what this book has given us, a time of innocence and coming of age. A time where deciding what they were going to play that day was their biggest concern. A time when two little girls did everything together. So much so that it was like they were sisters instead of just friends.

Then comes puberty and boys.

The author did a gre
sue

This is such a sweet raw emotional journey.

We follow Dottie and Mary who are the best of friends, from young to women.

I had so many thought about this nostalgic read. When all us kids has to worry about was what sweets to buy with our pocket money. I so remember the Black Jacks, sweet chews.

Then the fan following of Mick Jagger [Rolling Stones]

Dottie and Mary as they 'discover' boys are not annoying anymore as they go through puberty and fall in love.....romance on the horizon.

Things did not al
Kim
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, net-galley, kindle
Mary and Dottie were childhood friends- sharing dreams and bags of sweets. This was a wonderful story of friendships and romance with the twists and turns that life throws at them- testing the friendships. It was set in the 60's and was a lovely trip into that era. The characters are so well drawn that you share in their experiences and wish that their dreams come true. At times you feel a real catch on the heartstrings as the story cleverly takes unexpected turns. This is a debut book and I am ...more
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Wow oh Wow oh Wow!!!

The Girls From See Saw Lane is a beautiful tale of friendship, love, betrayal and forgiveness and one that will stay with me for a long time to come.

Dottie and Mary have the type of friendship that many of us would envy. Since Mary moved into See Saw Lane, her and Dottie have been firm friends. They do everything together, even working in the same shop when they leave school.

Even though they are firm friends, they are both very different. Mary has her head in the clouds, want
Renita D'Silva
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this beautiful book. It transported me into the 1960s. The author writes beautifully and with heart and creates such a fabulous and atmospheric sense of place with a few choice words. A story of love and friendship and coming of age. Loved it so much.A stunning book. I didn't want it to end. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Lisa
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pifm, kindle-deals
Quick book about two best friends growing up in the 60's. Throw in first loves, betrayals, and forgiveness to those you love.
Elizabeth
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
This book is a treasure trove of 1960's history regardless if which side of the Atlantic you grew up in! I was a teenager in the 60's and remember so much of what it felt like - very similar to Mary and Dottie, so it was a bit of a walk down memory lane for me.

Oh, the emotions of that age! That time was all about boys and school - Mary and Dottie's emotions ran the gamut. Could their friendship withstand all the changes that they were going through?

I enjoyed this book tremendously and recommen
Leona
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book and read it in just over a day.. It's one of those books that will make you laugh and cry. Brilliant characters and a wonderful story. Can't wait for the next one in the series.

I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review. Many thanks to netgalley and bookouture for this.
emily star
Diese Geschichte um Mary und Dottie ist so viel mehr als sich in Worte fassen lässt. Ein Zeitzeugnis Südenglands der 60er Jahre, berührend, witzig, tragisch und lebensecht. Ein Buch, das ohne Zweifel besonders ist und noch lange nachhallt.

Ich habe mich beim Lesen in die 60er zurückversetzt gefühlt, vor allem dank der Echtheit, die in diesem Roman eingearbeitet wurde. Mary und Dottie sind ebenso echt, wie es die Atmosphäre ist, die Sandy Taylor meisterhaft zum Leben erweckt.

Eine Geschichte, die b
Janneke Maat
Het eerste deel van een trilogie? Welke kant zou het verhaal opgaan bij de andere twee delen.. Wil ik dat wel weten/lezen? Dit boek heeft me tot tranen toegeraakt, het is goed zoals het is.
Kimberly
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In her debut novel, The Girls From See Saw Lane, Sandy Taylor has proven herself to be a very talented and gifted storyteller with an immense insight into family, friendship, love, and forgiveness. Dottie Perks and Mary Pickles, living in the seaside resort village of Brighton in East Sussex, England, develop a friendship in childhood that carries them well into early adulthood. They share their hopes and childhood dreams and become ever more inseparable as the years pass. But can this friendshi ...more
Alison
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I saw the cover for this book I knew I had to read it. I really don't think I have sufficient words to do it justice .. I was transported back in time to a place I know very well, I grew up near Brighton & it's an era of innocence almost.

The story focusses on Mary & Dottie, two young girls who live on a housing estate where they can go out & play & get into the mischief of children of that time. They do everything together & the friendship is delightful to watch a
michelle
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful début novel from Sandy Taylor. Its about the friendship of 2 girls that lived on See Saw Lane, Mary Pickles and Dottie Perks in the 1960's Brighton. The story spans from when they first met at 5 years old, to early adult hood. Mary the outgoing one, who wants to come an artist and live in Paris and Dottie who is the quiet one, contented to get married and stay in Brighton. The author describes Brighton, the fashion and what life that was like in the 1960's really well, that y ...more
Naomi Campbell
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A friend recommended this book saying she couldn't put it down. Once I got into it, neither could I. I tried to get it through our public library, but we didn't have it. And neither was it listed in any libraries in the consortium. So she librarian bought it for our library, mentioning it was a trilogy. So now I am ready to request the second book, because I want to see what happens next. I'm still touched by the main character Dottie, who you just fall in love with and want to meet and be a won ...more
Irene
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book from the first word to the last and could hardly bear to put it down as it was so engrossing! The story of two eight year old girls, Mary and Dottie in 60's Brighton, their very special friendship which even survived a spectacular betrayal. I loved everything - the writing, the descriptions of Brighton and life during the exciting 1960's, but most of all loved the characters for just being humans you could relate to. Please let there be a sequel! After reading this wonderful book ...more
Annette
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book which was based in the early 1960's. Two eight year old girls form a friendship which lasts a life time even though their love for each other is put to the test with a terrible betrayal I loved the descriptions of the music and fashions of the era. The ending is as it should be but not as I would have wanted as it leaves you to form your own conclusions. It is another book which left me sobbing but in a good way.. Thank you for the ARC
Wendy
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tearjerker! What a beautifully written book about friendship, love and sacrifices, I cannot wait to read the next in the series.
Janka H.
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
For better or for worse - in friendship.

Dottie and Mary have been friends for ages. Always together, always having fun, enjoying their childhood and now teen years together. Dottie, the stabile one, wishing "just" to have a normal life. Mary, always the daring one, the dreamer, the one wanting more. And her "more" contains Elton, the singer of the local band, who likes her, but is not willing to commit. Dottie, happily in love with Ralph, is willing to settle down, Mary is torn between love and
Colleen ~ The Clever Girl from Gallifrey
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

My thoughts on this book? I absolutely adored it! Dottie was that shy little girl who felt out of place until she met Mary, the girl with no fear and no reservations. Separate they were opposite but together they were the perfect match and they became instant friends, doing everything together and sharing the same dreams for the future. What Mary wanted to do Dottie wanted to do and that is how th
B.R. Maycock
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First off, such a mahoosive thanks to Netgalley for this book in return for an honest review. There’s books where you enjoy every single word, and this was one of them. It was the story of Dottie and Mary, starting with them aged 8 and continuing into teenagedom and then adulthood. I adore books told from multiple points of views and this was told through Dottie, the character who saw herself as the lesser of the pair, although I thought of her as only slightly more innocent, with a tiny diary e ...more
Clare O'Beara
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-romance
I enjoyed the tale set in the 1960s, about two girls who were young teens when teenagers had just been invented. The gentle, respectable essence of Brighton at that time is distilled into the text, with tourists on the pier, work in the sack factory or Woolworths, fish and chips and candyfloss.

We follow two girls who are physical opposites but are friends from school, as they start work and discover boys. That is predictably the rock on which their friendship is to founder.

I did think the auth
Deborah
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing

A story of friendship, set in the sixties. It's a coming of age, with plenty of teenage emotions, hopes and innocent dreams for the future.
The story is based around 4 individuals Mary, Dottie, Ralph & Elton and for these four individuals the world is their oyster. That is until something goes horribly wrong.
"Nobody's life turns out how they imagined it would. Things go wrong, and all we can do is make the best of it."
This book will have you smiling & sobbing, I had tears streaming down
Barbara
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for allowing me access to this book.
The main focus of this wonderful book is the friendship between Dottie Perks and Mary Pickles who meet when they are eight years old and become instant friends. The story follows the two from the start of their friendship thru the years as they experience the carefree days of life and school to meeting boys and falling in love and more. This book is wonderfully nostalgic and the British terms used were a fun park of this b
Ann Davey
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read ..I was taken back to 1960's such a nostalgic read about love friendship and heartbreak.and forgiveness . loved the characters in this novel .Ralph ,Lottie ,Mary and of course baby Peggy . Do not want to give story away but I guarantee you will not be disappointed.Need tissues.a bit of a weepy .. Cannot wait to read more from Sandy .This novel would make a great follow up ..Congratulations on such an uplifting book Sandy Taylor .
Lydia
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kristine
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
The Girls from See Saw Lane by Sandy Taylor is a free NetGalley ebook that I read during a sleepless early morning in mid-November. Drawn in by the Call the Midwife-esque cover and the Brighton, England setting, I thought I'd give this book a go.

Despite its first-person narration and chapters being inset with entries from her best friend's diary, The Girls from See Saw Lane needs much more polish and a firm premise to build from than the vaguely telenovela plot that it's using already.
Susan
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A coming of age novel set in Brighton in the 1960s, The Girls from See Saw Lane tells the story of two friends experiencing all the pains and joys of growing up and falling in love. The novel set the atmosphere of England in the '60s and made me laugh and cry.
  • Impasse
  • Booky: A trilogy
  • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
  • Guests of War Trilogy: The Sky is Falling / Looking at the Moon / The Lights Go On Again
  • Let it Snow
  • Snowflakes on Silver Cove (White Cliff Bay #2)
  • That's What Friends Are For
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Bella's Christmas Bake Off
  • Summer at Sea (Summer #1)
  • Your Beautiful Lies
  • Time Rep
  • A Mother's Secret: A beautiful, heartbreaking novel of love, loss and hidden tragedy
  • Outrageous Fortune
  • Polly's Pride (Polly's Journey, #1)
  • Notown
  • Pleasure Island
  • A Daughter's Disgrace

Brighton Girls Trilogy (3 books)
  • When We Danced at the End of the Pier (Brighton Girls Trilogy #1)
  • Counting Chimneys: A novel of love, heartbreak and romance in 1960s Brighton (Brighton Girls Trilogy, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things