Start by marking “Selfies from the End of the World: Historical Accounts of the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Selfies from the End of the World: Historical Accounts of the Apocalypse

Selfies from the End of the World: Historical Accounts of the Apocalypse

(Mad Scientist Journal Presents #2)

"It would be our duty, as citizens on this earth
to document its end the best way we know
and if that means a second by second update
of the world going up in flames, or down in rain, or crushed under the feet of invading monsters
so be it."
-- Shivangi Narain

No one understands an apocalypse like the people who have experienced it. Mad Scientist Journal has brought together twe
Paperback, Print Edition, 306 pages
Published September 15th 2015 by DefCon One Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Selfies from the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selfies from the End of the World

Start your review of Selfies from the End of the World: Historical Accounts of the Apocalypse
Samantha
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
So proud to have my short story "Smoke Scream" included in such a great collection! Selfies from the End of the World is a diverse group of stories, narrated by characters from many walks of life, locations, situations, and ages. From the teenage narrator of Nicole Tanquary's Sounds of Silence a story about the complicated emotions of surviving when people you love don't to the old man telling Sylvia Heike's Winter in My Bones who tries to meet his end with dignity, each story elicited strong em ...more
Garrett
I'm such a big fan of this collection, which takes a simple premise -- there are a lot of different ways the world could end, and a lot of different people who could tell those stories -- and pulls together a set of stories that shows how diverse, how complicated, and how lovely it can be.

While the collection strikes a lot of tones -- funny, contemplative, heartbreaking, loving, hopeful, afraid -- it feels focused and polished throughout.

Some of my favorites are Sylvia Heike's "Winter in My Bone
Andrew Kubasek
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
Full disclosure here: one of the authors in this book used to be my roommate and remains one of my best friends.

This book has a couple of great stories, a lot of pretty good stories, and a couple of duds. But you don't have to take my word for it...
Michael Mardel
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Selfies from the end of the world: historical accounts of the apocalypse is edited by Zimmerman and Vogel. They have chosen 28 dystopian stories about 5 pages long - double space would be preferable. They all stand alone and not one is better than the other. But if I had to choose - The Adventures of Zhombiegirl by Garrett Croker. All in all a great read as you are presented with different ways you could die.
Tammy
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was member of the Kickstarter campaign that made this collection possible. I was very impressed by the different directions the authors took when faced with title. So many different ways for the world to end! The quality of writing was high, and the curation of the collection showed off the stylistic differences of the contributors.
CJ Jones
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another well above average collection of short stories from the people who bring you the Mad Scientists' Journal, this one about what happens after the world ends. As the title evocatively suggests. It's not all Mad Max in there--the world ends in a lot of creative ways. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's probably just the flash from somebody's phone cam.
Amber Martin
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title alone made me add this to my "To Read" list a good while ago. After finally ordering it and letting it sit on a shelf for a while I finally picked it up. I don't remember the last time I poured through a collection of short stories so quickly. Each story is about the end of the world in one form or another but every time I thought I had found my favorite in the book I would then say the same thing about the next story. A few of them really stuck with me. Winter In My Bones by Sylvia He ...more
E.D.E. Bell
If you know me, and know that I can't normally read horror, you might question why I would pick up a collection of apocalypse stories. I don't know. It sounded great, and I know that this publisher tends to highlight humor, art, and wit. So I tried it. And I couldn't stop reading.

I'm so glad that I read this. Even with my extraordinary low tolerance for horror, there were only a handful of places where I was cringing. (And it does amp up a bit near the end.)

So I guess if you're like me, proceed
Denyse
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many of these stories were haunting and sad. I had to close the book and think about something else after most of them. I even teared up at a few of the stories.
Andrew Mclaughlin
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Very nice collection of short stories. The Stories that were good were really good, though a few were less successful at keeping my interest.

It has both serious and comic short stories with all sorts of end of the world images, something for everyone.

As it is a book of short stories I can recommend if you are a fan of the Science fiction genre.
Psycroptic
Sep 09, 2015
Littleview
Nov 20, 2016
J.C. Stearns
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Timothy
Kristopher Triana
John
Jan 09, 2016
Dawn Vogel
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Matthew Davis
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Samuel
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
HorrorLivez
Jan 19, 2017
Matthew Von
Jun 25, 2017
Tangie Silva
May 29, 2020
Jeremy Zimmerman
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ali
Jan 26, 2018
Joshua
is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015

Mad Scientist Journal Presents (6 books)
  • That Ain't Right: Historical Accounts of the Miskatonic Valley (Mad Scientist Journal Presents #1)
  • Fitting in: Historical Accounts of Paranormal Subcultures