Start by marking “Smelly Bill” as Want to Read:
Smelly Bill

Smelly Bill

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Bill the dog loved smelly things like muddy ponds and rubbish bins. Disgusting stuff he'd stick his snout in, sniff and snort and roll about in. Will the arrival of cleaning fanatic Aunt Bleach put an end to his smelly ways or will Bill live to stink another day?
Unknown Binding, 23 pages
Published March 30th 2008 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about Smelly Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smelly Bill

Heather
The rhyme scheme doesn't really work for me, like on the first page where "things" is meant to rhyme with "bins"?! Does that maybe work in British English? Because in American English, it feels awkward. Despite some of the poor rhymes and rhythms, the pictures are fabulous. In fact, they make the book rather great. I love the one where the great aunt is swinging down to the trash, bloomers showing, and the one where she is holding her filthy arms out for a hug. Clever illustrations, I just wish ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Bill is smelly because he likes to get into things and he hates baths.

Auntie Bleach thinks she can resolve this issue. In the end, Bill isn't smelly anymore, but Auntie is.

Cute, but not a book I'd want to read over and over.
Jessie
This is a great picture book for doing a smelly story time!
Heather
I have been a patron of the library in my hometown from the time I was born. My son spent many hours there searching for fun books to take home and now each Thursday I take my nephew and niece to the wonderful 100 year old building to check out books of their own.
Since I am usually the one who reads the books once we get back to the house I like to search through the shelves in the kid's section and check out some children's books that I might enjoy in the process.
Last week I picked up a book w
Carolyn Hart
Oh yuk, Smelly Bill is one mucky dog. He loves to roll in mud and rubbish. He steadfastly resists his family’s attempts to de-reek him! When Great Aunt Bleach arrives, she brings her disinfectant and scrub brush. Before long the house is sparkling from top to uh-oh – what is that smell? After a merry chase, Bill endures his bathie-wathie, and makes a mess of poor Great Aunt Bleach.

With wonderful rhyming text and fun illustrations, Smelly Bill will be enjoyed by children of all ages.

Included in
Mandy Scheuren
Smelly Bill has a smelly problem, he loves to roll in garbage and avoid the family’s attempt to give him a bath. Bill will do anything to avoid water and any form of getting clean. The family despair until they go on an outing, leaving Bill with someone who has HIM despairing before long, Great Aunt Bleach. The battle is on between the clean loving Bleach and the very smelly Bill! This outrageous, far-fetched tale will keep you from putting the book down! Postage does an excellent job keeping th ...more
Nolan Johnson
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A. This book is about a dog named Bill. Bill loved playing in smelly things. Bill's family thought he smelt so bad but could never catch him to take a bath. When Bill's family left for the beach, Great Aunt Bleach comest to take care of Bill. Great Aunt Bleach is determined to give Bill a bath but Bill has different plans.

B. You might become what you were trying to change.

C. There is a lot of good vocabulary in this book. I thing that this book could be used to teach new vocabulary words.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Be prepared to laugh out loud at this stinky pooch! Smelly Bill is smart, witty, and tons of fun.

The writing is fast paced and illustrative, while the pictures are unique and fun. There are just the right number of words on each page to make reading it enjoyable and interesting.

Author and illustrator, Daniel Postgate, really hit a home run on this one! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with a young child.
Books for Kids
Halee
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Level: 3.6
Interest Level: K-3

A cute book about a stinky little dog whose family can't seem to get clean until Great Aunt Bleach comes along and gives Bill a cleaning that is much needed! Filled with humor and pop off the page illustrations, sure to be a hit among students who can relate to their own stinky pets!
Tuckleton
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
You don't get more classic of a kids story than this. Full of rhymes, silliness and dirt!

I may be biased as this was the first book my son ever responded to. I have yet to return it to the library.
Sandi Roe
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
I didn't care for the beginning when Peach's owner was mean to Bill and told him her dog Peach was too good for him. She later finds that pedigree does not equal worth. Bill proves he has more heart than any pure breed at the dog show. The kids at story time seemed to like this book.
Kelly
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrated by the author. With great rhyming and a surprising twist at the end, this is sure to be a hit at storytime. The illustrations are great too as the reader can really see just HOW stinky Bill must be. I really liked it quite a bit.
Susan
Literacy skills:

Phonological sensitivity-this book is full of rhymes that kids will find funny "Because of this he had a bleak and really quite unpleasant reek". These rhymes will build phonological sensitivity and the funny pictures will encourage print motivation.
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Okay, this was just a cute kids book--funny illustrations and the rhyme was well done. "Aunt Bleach" is dog-sitting and tries to get the dog to take a bath. Anyway, just a cute little picture book.
Kate
Read this books at the start if the year with my students to teach captions, lists, and labels.
Wyshona D. Lawson
This was a cute little book.
Cordellya Smith
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children love the antics of this smelly dog as he tries to avoid his bathee wathee from Aunt Bleach.
Shanelle
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Delightful
Suzanne
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, humor
I love Smelly Bill. This dirty old dog sure gives Aunt Bleach a run for her money. Super cute. The kids LOVE this book.
Eileen
Aunt Bleach visits to take care of Smelly Bill in this cute rhyming book.
Savannah
Rhyming story of a smelly dog that tries to avoid getting a bath at all cost. Good to use when building word families and working on phonemic awareness.
Lori Pollitt
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and tricky read. With the way the book rhymes, it was a little difficult for my beginner reader. However, when I read it allowed, the kids really enjoyed it!
Kate
Oct 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
A fun rhyming story about a smelly dog.
Marilyn Lorenz
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
A wonderful book. Kids love it! The illustrations are fun!
Peacegal
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud to a smelly Bill I know.
Angie Quantrell
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Bill the smelly dog really needs a bath to take care of the stench coming from his filthy fur. But he is skilled at evading bath time. Until one day, Bill is left at home with Aunt Bleach. Funny.
Tricia
Cute concept of smelly dog meets cleanfreak aunt bleach. Fun readaloud...with ending that pleases the audience.
Boni
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun book, but a few too many poor rhymes for my taste (maybe because the author is British? Not sure...)
Katherine
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katherine by: http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/
What a riot! The verse narrative is fantastic. I come away wanting more Smelly Bill-- maybe I want to get inside Smelly Bill's head, but I expect it would stink.
Lucia
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Hilarious and kids love the humour.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »