Start by marking “Love: Selected Poems” as Want to Read:

Love: Selected Poems

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Love: Selected Poems by E.E. Cummings
Published December 6th 2005 by Jump At The Sun

To ask other readers questions about Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love

Laura Cushing
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have always had a hard time getting into the structure of an e. e. Cummings poem, but when it clicks I love the imagery. The pairing of artwork and poem really helped expand the experience for me and gave me a lot to contemplate with each poem.
Sarah Rosenberger
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
The artwork wasn't great and I didn't like the poem choices either. I have decided that cummings is one of my least favorite poets. I feel like a lot of his poems are the written equivalent of smearing dog crap on a canvas and calling it art. (That being said, I still really love i carry your heart with me.)
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I dont really understand poetry, although I write it. I gave this book 3 stars because it was about love and I don’t like love and I couldn’t connect with majority of these poems.
Gail Roshong
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Name: Gail Roshong

APA Citation: Cummings, E. E. & Meyers, C. (Ed.). (2005). Love: Selected poems by E. E. Cummings. Hyperion Books: New York.

Genre: poetry

Award: As of yet, this book has not been honored.

Format: print

Selection process: Academic Search Complete forwarded several reviews for this selection. Many reviewers felt that Meyers’ visual interpretations did not harmonize with Cummings edgy poetry.

Christopher Meyers has selected 19 love poems that mirror Cummings at his most pl
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature, poety
He writes so beautifully. I had to read his Collected Poems 1909 - 1962 when I was a junior in high school. Sadly I faked the whole assignment and really missed out on something. In this book, my favorite poem (which got me hooked and I fell in love with) is "Up Into the Silence the Green"

up into the silence the green
silence with a white earth in it

you will(kiss me)go

out into the morning the young
morning with a warm world in it

(kiss me)you will go

on into the sunlight the fine
sunlight with a firm
Colin Jaffe
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it
I do love Cummings (excuse me, cummings), but this one left me just a bit cold. Sometimes I find him incredible, as in "Somewhere I Have Never Traveled", "Will Bill's", or "May I Feel Said She", but sometimes he's entirely unintelligible to me, as when he overuses parentheses. I guess sometimes he's just a bit more trickery and a bit less earnestness, and there wasn't enough of the latter for me in this collection. What's more, there was a lack of variation of subjects here, but, heh, I should'v ...more
Emma Stockdale
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a far better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don’t cry
—the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids’ flutter which says

we are for eachother: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life’s not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brief collection of poems by e.e. cummings with appropriate art work by Christopher Myers. This is a nice way to introduce Cummings' work to young people. I showed my grandson a couple poems in here. He doesn't like poetry but they kept his interest for a few minutes. Hopefully his curiosity will be stimulated and he'll pay closer attention to poetry in the future. Of course Cummings is not a poet you would normally see as appealing to children.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great compilation of postmodern art and 20th century poetry. I love e.e.cummings and I greatly admire the work of Christopher Myers. My only critique is that the color of the typeface of the lettering on some of the pages is too light for my preference. Otherwise, it's an amazing
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I have never had much patience or aptitude for understanding poetry, so don't give much heed to my stars. When it comes to poets I have always rather shared Mrs. Lovett's opinion, save for a brief period of delusion in college. I like the illustrations, though.
Edward Creter
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The poems of e. e. cummings are as complex as they are beautiful, and this 40-pager shows the best of this fascinating writer with photos and artwork from international artists and models. A fascinating portrait.
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love poems, ee cummings... how could this be bad? I was looking for some of cummings's work at the library, and this was the only book checked in. I definitely found some new favorites. All that said, I thought the illustrations ill-fitting and poorly executed.
Apr 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: yyay, pomes
beautiful presentations/interpretations of e.e. cummings poems
Teresa Parton
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I love e.e. cummings poetry. the art work was beautiful and fit the style of the poems. great book!
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was the cheapest collection of ee cummings love poems I could find on amazon. The artwork is a little weird, but the poems are awesome.
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, poetry
Like the poems but not the photo-illustration
Strider Jones
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My kind of poet. Brilliant poetry. A real treat.
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
  • The Love Poems of John Keats: In Praise of Beauty
  • A Poet to His Beloved: The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • A Suitcase of Seaweed and Other Poems
  • Red Hot Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Being Young and Latino in the United States
  • Frida: Viva La Vida! Long Live Life!
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • Everything I Ate: A Year in the Life of My Mouth
  • Worlds Afire
  • God Went to Beauty School
  • My Seneca Village
  • Insectlopedia
  • Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
  • Poems Retrieved
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • Resurrection, 1971-1996
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...