Start by marking “When Love Matters Most (San Diego K-9 Unit #2)” as Want to Read:
When Love Matters Most (San Diego K-9 Unit #2)

When Love Matters Most

(San Diego K-9 Unit #2)

Keeping her safe at all costs

Could their backgrounds be any more different? Rick Vasquez, a K-9 unit sergeant with the San Diego Police Department, fled drug-related violence in Mexico as a boy. Madison Long, who recently became primary veterinarian to the SDPD's canines, is the privileged daughter of a judge. Rick has dedicated his life to curtailing cross-border dru
Kindle Edition
Published January 1st 2016 by Harlequin Heartwarming

To ask other readers questions about When Love Matters Most, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Love Matters Most

Start your review of When Love Matters Most (San Diego K-9 Unit #2)
Melanie
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rick works in the San Diego Police Department's K-9 Unit and Madison recently became the veterinarian for their dogs. When they first meet, Rick is tense and since he just met Madison, he questions her abilities, which doesn't get him off to a good start with her. It doesn't take too long for them to overcome that, though, and they soon start dating. There is more conflict as they stand on separate sides of a big issue and need to determine if they can overcome their differences for the sake of ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Have I ever mentioned how much I love the Harlequin Heartwarming line? Perhaps once or twice maybe? Yeah, I'm a fan of both Harlequin Heartwarming and Kate James. I'm really enjoying this K-9 series. "When Love Matters Most" is the second book in this trilogy and it was another hit for me.

I really fell in love with Rick. He turned the heartbreaking start to his life into something beautiful. Rick is a strong protector. His choices are influenced by his own past and it leads him to be compassiona
Amanda
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

My first Kate James story had been book one in her K-9 trilogy, When the Right One Comes Along, and ever since reading that story I’ve anticipated to see what the author comes up with next. Her new book When Love Matters Most does not disappoint. Well-researched and well-written, Ms. James takes us on an intriguing journey where we meet Rick Vasquez, Madison Long, Sniff and Zeke and a cast of varying characters who all add their uniqueness to the story.

Rick is a narcotics officer in the K-9 unit
Harlequin Books
"James brings the heat with the second book in The K-9 Trilogy. With the right amounts of action, tension and romance, readers are sure to be dazzled and delighted" (RT Book Reviews, 4 stars).

Miniseries: The K-9 Trilogy
Mona
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first book by Ms. James. This is Book 2 in the San Diego K-9 Series:
Truly moving, sweet, emotional. Funny moments.

Sergeant Rick Vasquez of the K-9 unit in San Diego had a very hard childhood. But he turned it all
around. He has a good partner named Sniff. When a bust goes south it's not good.
The worst part he wasn't here.
In turn it leads him to Madison the new vet who's going to be helping him out. He's not too happy about it.
He really has no choice.

Madison doesn't know much about Rick. S
Cynthia
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-suspense
I was pulled in from the first page and had trouble put this book down. As you open the book and start to read the first few pages will have you almost in tears as your heart goes out for the police officer and his dog. This is another win for Ms. James with her K-9 series. I thought she would never top her first book in this series but I was wrong. Ms. James gives a compelling story of right and wrong when wrong might be the right thing to do. The law is suppose to be black or white but sometim ...more
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I love the characters in Kate’s K-9 Trilogy! (And oh please tell me that Logan’s story is next!) When Love Matters Most focuses on Sergeant Rick “PitBull” Vasquez and veterinarian Madison Long, both of whom we met in the first K-9 book When The Right One Comes Along (which, incidentally, made my list of Best Books of 2015!).

Rick is fierce and tough-guy sweet. Madison adds a little southern sass and class. The two of them together produce a chemistry that sizzles with electricity and heart. Their
Katie W
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I missed out on reading the first book of this series, but this book stands alone. I love San Diego and could easily picture the locations of the events of this story. The setting is great and I especially loved the characters and the way they have such strong connections to the setting.

Rick grew up in a drug house in Mexico and fled as a young teen. Due to a wonderful foster-turned-adoptive family, his life is very dedicated to fighting drugs, drug cartels, drug runners, etc. He has an amazing
Alyssa
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I saw a book about K-9s I knew I had to pick it up right away. The two main characters, Madison and Rick, both care deeply about dogs. Rick is a K-9 handler with San Diego Police and Madison is the vet who cares for the SDPD dogs. I loved reading about their work. The addition of the dogs added an adorable touch to the book, even if they became more like background noise towards the end of the book. The knowledge Kate James writes into her novel was fun and insightful as well.

The tension an
Dale Rogers
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately drawn into Kate James' newest novel, When Love Matters Most, and my enthusiasm lasted all the way through to the last page. The author's excellent writing style conveys to us an intriguing story concerning the plight of a narcotics officer working with a K-9 dog named Sniff. Haunted by a childhood trauma, Rick Vasquez has a heart for kids who have been forced to deal drugs, and he also visits schools in an effort to warn youth about the dangers of these substances.

A drug bust g
Lynn Brooks
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great one that wrenches at your heartstrings! The 2nd book in The K-9 Trilogy did not disappoint. I loved meeting Rick and Madison and it was great to see Cal & Jessica again from the first book in the series.

Sergeant Rick Vasquez meets Veterinarian Madison Long under non-ideal circumstances. He's brusque and a bit condescending because he doesn't know if she's qualified to be the primary vet of the San Diego Police Department's K-9 unit.

On her second meeting of Rick, Madison learns the
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
This is the first book I have read by Kate James and is the second book in the K-9 trilogy (I am going to read the first book soon!). I really enjoyed this tail (hehe). I am a huge dog lover and also love what the K-9 unit dogs do to help serve the public. They are very brave! Throw in a redhead vet and a tall dark handsome police officer and we have a fun romance with a little mob crime included.

Kate writes this story with a lot of love and passion for animals. It flows very well and keeps you
Evelyn Nathalia
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Love Matters Most is a story that touches the reader so closely that this book was so easy to fall in love with. I really like the characters because of their heartwarming personality. Rick Vasquez was a dedicated sergeant with a really painful past. It was truly sad to know someone so young have to experience with something with full of nightmare.
When his friend's dog got injured, he got into a protective mode and he found a beautiful replacement instead of the usual vet in SDPD clinic. H
Sydney
Book two in Kate James’ K-9 Trilogy, When Love Matters Most, is an exciting contemporary, romance-thriller story that readers will love from page one. This story focuses on a man, Rick Vasquez, whom became a drug trafficking police due to circumstances from his childhood, and his dogs. Rick meets and falls in love with canine police section’s doctor, Madison Long. This story deals with overcoming tragic pasts and dramatic instances that bring terror to Rick and his co-workers and friends, includ ...more
Catherine Lanigan
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kate James did it again! Her characters Rick and Madison kept me enthralled from their first meeting, through tough decisions, moral and ethical dilemmas and deeply moving, tearful(on my end) moments. I actually didn't see how these two diametrically opposed people could work it out. Fascinating characters are what I look for as well as a deftly turned phrase. The only thing I don't like is that these well-researched books set against the K-9 world of dangerous police work will end in just one m ...more
Pauline Frost
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love that the K-9 unit is strong and they all care a lot about their partners and how they are treated. A well written and perfectly paced story pulling you in from the start. You don't want to put it down.
Jana Van
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I loved it!!! Just look at that cute dog on the cover! How could you not love a book with such a cute dog in it?!
Peggy Clayton
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the storyline as it flowed so well and it was an enjoyable read. Kate hit a home run with this!
Mollie
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Mary
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Likable characters and a captivating story, although the writing uses some predictable phraseology in telling the story. An enjoyable story nonetheless.
Nancy
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Rick & Melissa. CA border control, drugs and illegal immigration. ...more
Starr
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-2020-read
This was short and that may have been its downfall. I saw the real danger and the source of the leak back at the barbecue, which was at the beginning of the book. Other than that, I can't say that there was anything original in the story. the ending was rushed with everything being wrapped up nice and prettily. If someone told me that the couple got married and adopted the two orphan brothers I'd say "i told you so."
Rebecca Renea
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this as a judge for a romance writing competition. I hate romance books but this surprisingly was a decent read. There was no overly pathetic/dramatic scenes that made me want to throw up. The story was realistic and relatable for the most part and it even had some decent substance as the characters had disagreements on their morals. Not bad.
Christy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book really kept me on the edge of my seat!

Ariana is in charge of security at San Diego’s international airport, so when two passengers (very drunk passengers) stir up trouble and cause the plane to be turned around, Ariana is on it. And it’s during this incident she meets Logan, police K-9 unit captain. Ariana and Logan are immediately drawn to each other.

This initial meeting is nothing compared to what is coming. When the airport receives threats, Ariana is on it with Logan’s help. As thi
Summer
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
After a rocky initial meeting, Rick, a narcotics officer in the K-9 unit, falls for veterinarian, Madison.

There’s danger around Rick and Madison, someone trying to kill him, someone watching her, but there’s enough calm for their relationship to develop and to include a sprinkling of family and friends (Cal and Jessica from the first book in this series, so an added bonus if you’ve read that one, though this reads just fine as a standalone, too).

I thought the conflicts between Rick and Madison w
Kate Vale
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
Part of the K-9 trilogy, this book hooked me from the first. Who doesn't like to read about hunky cops, great dogs, and veterinarians? What disappointed me was the final explanation as to who was making Rick think someone was after Madison? Someone was, but they weren't related to the bad guys he was after and who seemed like the most likely to have wanted to harm her.

Nevertheless, the rest of the story was worth spending time with, especially those elements having to do with illegals and what m
Beth Carpenter
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Engaging characters make this story hard to put down. Both Rick and Madison are intelligent, caring, dedicated professionals who love dogs. They're made for each other, but the danger of Rick's work as well as some of the choices he's felt compelled to make drive a wedge between them. This story takes on one of those ethical dilemmas I know I struggle with, and handled it with finesse. Highly recommended.
Bonnie
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Love Matters Most book t of the K-9 trilogy, by Kate James. Backgrounds of Rick Vasques and Madison Long are very different. Madison is a Vet. Rick is a K-9 unit sergeant. In the drug department. Madison's father is a judge in another town. Rick does things her father might not agree with. Lots of stuff goes on in this story. A good read.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Julie
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Justice Mission (True Blue K-9 Unit #1)
  • Sworn to Protect (True Blue K-9 Unit)
  • Deep Undercover (True Blue K-9 Unit #4)
  • Trail of Danger (True Blue K-9 Unit)
  • Stranger in My Arms
  • The Marriage Pact (The Brides of Bliss County, #1)
  • Kiss an Angel
  • Here to Stay (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #10)
  • Seeking the Truth (True Blue K-9 Unit #5)
  • Guardian (Classified K-9 Unit, #1)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1)
  • Agent-in-Training (Classified K-9 Unit, #0.5)
  • Bounty Hunter (Classified K-9 Unit, #4)
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • Amethyst (The Jewel Trilogy, #1)
  • Courage Under Fire (True Blue K-9 Unit #7)
  • Lakeside Hero  (Men of Millbrook Lake #1)
  • Frontier Courtship
Kate spent much of her childhood abroad before attending university in Canada. She built a successful business career, but her passion has always been literature. As a result, Kate turned her energy to her love of the written word. Kate's goal is to entertain her readers with engaging stories featuring strong, likable characters. Kate has been honored with numerous awards for her writing. She and ...more

San Diego K-9 Unit (4 books)
  • When the Right One Comes Along (San Diego K-9 Unit, #1)
  • When I Found You (San Diego K-9 Unit #3)
  • Home to Stay (San Diego K-9 Unit #4)