Start by marking “Where Are the Women Architects?” as Want to Read:
Where Are the Women Architects?

Where Are the Women Architects?

A timely and important search for architecture's missing women

For a century and a half, women have been proving their passion and talent for building and, in recent decades, their enrollment in architecture schools has soared. Yet the number of women working as architects remains stubbornly low, and the higher one looks in the profession, the scarcer women become. Law and
Published April 12th 2016 by Princeton University Press (first published April 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Where Are the Women Architects?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Are the Women Architects?

Start your review of Where Are the Women Architects?
Peter Tillman
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Peter by: Carol Tavris, Wall Street Journal
Just started. I'm reading based on the author being one of the prodders for Architect Barbie.... "I would pay big money for a hot-pink drawing tube!" and a good review at WSJ.

Sadly, it looks to be written in academese vs. Good English. A pity, since it's an attractive small book, and an interesting topic. May appeal to, well, academics.

"Accessible, frank, and lively, Where Are the Women Architects? will be a revelation for readers ..." --Publisher's website. NOT.

I'm closing this one out DNF, sin
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent discussion of women's difficulties in the architecture field, including underrepresentation in prizes, underrepresentation and exclusion in Wikipedia entries, disparities in pay, and the large drop off of women practitioners.
Freya
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I note a man called Peter, with a fleeting interest in the subject, has written a lengthy 2 star review. Don't be put off. This is a must read for women considering a career in architecture. This excellent book, full of facts and figures, may well put you off. But that doesn't mean it should not have been written.

Too many people toddle off to university without doing proper research. Despina Stratigakos has done the research for you. Read it and weep!
Meg
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As someone who works in an architecture firm (as a jack-of-all trades administrative manager, not an architect), and as someone who has always been interested in gender studies and women's roles in careers, this book aligned closely with my professional interests. It's no surprise to anyone within the field of architecture that the field is male dominated - my office is fifty percent female, and yet the senior management is 82% male. (Something that the male leadership is actively trying to chan ...more
Kristi
I really wanted to love this book, and maybe it's because I had such high hopes for it that I felt it was just not a great read and left me frustrated and feeling that this book could have been so much more.

I loved the beginning, with examples of Denise Scott Brown in the shadows of her husband Robert Venturi, but the author completely lost me in the end with examples of how men are keeping women architects down by removing Wikipedia entries about women architects that the author admits some ma
Emily
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a small but mighty little book containing five focused essays (plus intro and conclusion which are powerful essays in themselves) on the state of women in architecture. Highly recommend for anyone in a design profession who is concerned about equity (i.e. should be everyone). It is incredibly well researched and although has an academic tone (Stratigakos teaches at SUNY Buffalo) is very accessible. I’ll be keeping this one on my desk at work for easy reference.
Mara
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book on a topic that most would rather ignore, it seems. Like it or not, things are not well in the architectural world. I do wish it hadn't used internet comments on blogs and articles as examples of backlash, even if those same sentiments are shared professionally it makes it easy to dismiss them as trolls.
Lily
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Architecture seems like a very backwards, regressive field for women because of biases and prejudices against women's spatial capabilities, biases against motherhood, and even digital exclusion of women's contributions historically.
Karla Gonzalez
I had to read this book for class but I was very surprised as to how much I liked it. It was shorter than I thought it would be but it really had a lot of very interesting information.
Chloë Yuill
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is current, topical and fact-based. Not only informative but engaging and a worth while read.
Lauren
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Accurate. Unpacking how I feel about this conversation will take more time than I have now. The rest of my life, potentially.
Erin Kae

• Flights
  • Untamed
  • Zamke pristojnosti : eseji o feminizmu i popularnoj kulturi
  • Stern 111
  • Palaces for the People: How Social Infrastructure Can Help Fight Inequality, Polarization, and the Decline of Civic Life
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • The Guest List
  • Ponoćni boogie
  • Die Bagage
  • Eure Heimat ist unser Albtraum
  • Serotonin
  • The Middle Finger Project: Trash Your Imposter Syndrome and Live the Unf*ckwithable Life You Deserve
  • The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels
  • This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life
  • Byens Spor: Ewald og Maj (Byens Spor #1)
  • Turbulence
  • The Selfish Gene
Despina Stratigakos is associate professor of architecture and director of the Gender Institute at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York.

News & Interviews