Start by marking “The Truth” as Want to Read:
The Truth

The Truth

Lie, torture, kill—there's nothing Chris and Derek wouldn't do for their younger brothers…

When Chris wakes up tied to a chair in a dark basement, he knows that he's trapped—and why. He shot and killed Derek's little brother. He had his reasons, but no matter how far Derek goes to uncover the truth about that night, Chris's story won't change. It can't. There is far too muc
Published February 2nd 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“One finger for each lie,” he says. “Do you understand?”

This was an okay YA mystery story, with an interesting twist at the end.

It couldn’t have been easy for Chris to wake up tied to a chair and threatened with a pair of gardening shears, but he still continued to not tell the whole truth, I’m not sure whether this was bravery or stupidity.

The storyline in this was t
sue
My Kindle said....approx time of read 3 hours.

So not a long book to read but cor blimey was it packed with everything

The author has crammed in a lot of interest, lies, secrecy, discovery, and awesomeness into this book.
But its not rushed, its not so 'crammed' that you feel its lacking something, its really not

Its a tale of a young lad whose Police father was dead.
His death leaves the Mother, his younger brother Devon and himself.

Now HE has to step up to the mark and look after his family, hi
Anastasia
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4/5 stars

Disclaimer: I received a free ARC copy from Natgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warning: Murder, kidnapping, and off the page rape.

The Truth is a young adult murder mystery that will keep you wondering "what really happened" until the very last word.

When Chris wakes up in a dark basement tied to a chair, he knows that he's trapped-and why. Eight nights ago a burglar broke into Chris' home. Eight nights ago Chris did what he had to do to protect his family. And eigh
Morris
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
“The Truth” is a thriller that starts rolling in the first chapter and never gives you a chance to catch your breath until the end.

Told through a combination of flashbacks and current events, the story unfolds in reverse and leaves the reader guessing until the very last page. I pride myself on being able to catch plot twists in books, movies, and television shows, but the author managed to surprise me and catch me off-guard. I only figured out a tiny piece of the puzzle. I wish I could say more
Batool
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this novel. This has in no way affected my review.

Honestly, i thought this book was okay. It reads more like a middle grade book rather than a young adult, which made me really confused when i went into it.

Mr. Johnstons writing is very simple which made the story fast paced and keeps the reader turning pages after pages without realizing they're suddenly 100 pages in.

Overall, I wouldnt call this a bad book, I would just say it
Elly
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** I received an ARC of this book from Sourcebooks and NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. However, this does not influence my opinions in any way.***

I really enjoyed this book. I was a little skeptical going in, but I fell into the rhythm of the story so quickly. The book constantly jumps back and forth between two timelines and they work together beautifully. The whole book read seamlessly and you would get so into it that you don't realize how quickly you are moving through it. If any
Ashley Buhrke
Actual Rating: 2.5/5

**I would like to start off by saying that I received The Truth by Jeffry W. Johnston for free via Sourcebooks Publishing in exchange for a review. Although I am super grateful and excited for any opportunity at receiving a book for free, I am also very strict with being honest. That being said, giveaways do not impact my reviews.**

This book wasn't HORRIBLE - but it was a little predictable and I just clearly couldn't relate (besides the main thing happening here, I also di
Kat
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Thriller, check.

An unknown author, check.

Interesting summary that drew me in, check.

The Truth was another title I received from Netgalley (that website is a privilege, honestly), hoping that it would drag me from the slump I’ve struggled with for weeks on end. Whether it did, well, you’re about to find out the answer. In short, so you needn’t bother reading this review, perhaps you would be better off with reading something else that isn’t this.

Chris, the protagonist — who I’m sorry, once I go
Miranda
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teenagers
I have just recently finished a book called The Truth by Jeffry W. Johnston. As I was in Barnes and Nobles looking at all the different young adult books, this one caught my eye. Not just because of the amazing cover, but as I was reading the back, the story seemed to jump out at me. “The Truth” is based in Pennsylvania, which I can relate to a lot. This book is an exciting page turner that is filled with a lot of action and mystery. As I was getting into the book, I was definitely expecting som ...more
Leah
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. It's all about making decisions, especially hard decisions, to protect the ones you love.

Chris is a normal 16 year old high school boy who has been dealt a tough hand. After his police officer father is killed in the line of duty, he is left to take care of his younger brother since now his mom is the only parent. Devon, his younger brother, idolizes Chris and looks up to him as the father figure in his life now that dad is gone. Chris goes to all of Devon's baseba
Melissa
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a quick and easy read, but the truth is - it was way too predictable. I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

The story starts off in an interesting way, one that grabbed my attention for sure. Chris, a sixteen-year-old boy wakes up duct-taped to a chair. The brother of the boy he shot, in what seems to be self-defense, is demanding answers. He wants the truth about what really happened the night his brother was killed and he’s willing to use garden shears to get the answers.

Aside
Richard Knight
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher of seventh graders, I have a lot of students who just flat out DON'T READ. In fact, just yesterday, I had a student-a bright student, no less-who told me they hate books. I said "hate is a very strong word," and she said, "But it's the truth, Mr. Knight." (And I swear. Pun not intended). Jeffry Johnson's book, also called The Truth, is definitely not boring, and I'll be giving copies out to some of my students next year who are adamant on their feelings that reading=boring. The Trut ...more
Lectus
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I cannot say that I didn't like it, but I can't say I like it either. I like that it is a book for boys (we need more of those). I guess this book kind of shows you how the system (life) can mess up sometimes.

It deals with issues of abandonment (as in the father preferring one sibling over the other) and it is very heavy on sibling responsibility. Actually, I felt kind of exasperated with Chris' mom and Chris himself because everything revolved around Chris' brother. Chris gave up his dreams/lif
Shelley
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***I received a copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaways***

If you are looking for a fast paced book that will keep you guessing from the beginning then this is the book for you. This book is a mystery that is aimed toward the young adult male audience.

When any book starts out with someone being held hostage and having someone threaten to cut off their fingers one by one if they lie, well let's just say I am hooked. I mean, what truth could possibly be worth loosing fingers for and you can't h
Barb
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Anybody else worried that the kid will become a serial killer?
Michaela Writesel
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The novel The Truth by Jeffrey W. Johnston is certainly a book worth reading and is unlike other books I have read. This novel was published on February 2, 2016 and the author’s writing style is not highly academic, making it open to most readers. Johnston does a great job of building suspense and creating many twists within this mystery novel and this is what really sets this book apart.
The story follows Chris Russo and his story of shooting and killing a home invader. This would come to impac
Anette
I received a free ebook copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Originally posted on Anette Reads.

This is a short, quick and easy read, it took me about 2-3 hours. It’s a mystery/thriller story as well as a tragedy and it will keep you wondering what the big “truth” is.

It’s a story about family, sacrifice, and the reveal of said truth. There are two pairs of brothers in this equation: Chris and Devon, and Derek and Caleb. I just realized the characters share init
Grace
This should not be a YA novel. Too fucked up. (For me at least..)

Okay well for starters, yikes. I hate reading these types of books. I thought it wouldn't be that bad but it was too scary for me. (Please note I am an extremely sensitive person so this story had me shaking at some parts.)

This is a great book to be an example for when the rating system on good reads just doesn't work.
1 stars-> did not like it
2 stars-> it was ok
3 stars-> liked it
etc.
Okay it wasn't bad per say, but it cert
Kathy
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Truth by Jeffry W. Johnston is a suspense-laden young adult mystery about a teenager kidnapped and forced to recount the events of the night he shot and killed an intruder.

Eight days after killing thirteen year old Caleb Brannick, Chris Russo is kidnapped by Caleb's older brother Derek who just wants the truth about what happened the night Caleb died. Convinced the police planted evidence, Derek threatens to cut off Chris's finger with garden shears if he does not fully co-operate with his d
Angelina
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Fables Library
I received this book free from NetGalley, it does not change my opinions at all!

Sometimes telling the truth is hard, especially when it has to do with murder or death. Then, the truth seems like the opposite of what you really want to say if you had something to do with that death. But I guess the truth will come out easier when there's a threat. When you have something to motivate you, this is The Truth. Lies are punished, simple as that.

Okay, first of all,
Mia Siegert
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thrilled to say that this was an absolutely terrific novel, one that I'm wavering on the line between 4 and 5. The ending was so superb and there was an engaging plot with a suitable amount of plot twists. I figured out the ending very early on, but that's a "me" thing--I tend to predict endings.

The reason I'm slightly leaning toward the 4 instead of the 5 is the protagonist Chris, and his dialogue/inner monologue. At some
Imogene Dacanay
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
**Thank you Netgalley and SOURCEBOOKS Fire for providing me a review ecopy of The Truth by Jeffry W. Johnston.**

The antagonist woke up with duct tapes around his arm, leg, hugging his body. For him to be able to be free. All he has to do is to tell the TRUTH. Nothing but the truth.

I am a kind of person who's not afraid to tell the truth. Truth for me, sometimes, is indeed ugly and painful. Still, no need to tell lies. The person will still get hurt, you'd rather hurt them with the truth. So whil
Lauren (My Expanding Bookshelf)
The Truth is a brilliant, riveting mystery that I could not put down. Not only does it have a slight fear factor to it, but it also makes you think: "What would you do for the ones you love?"

The story is told from Chris's point of view, both in the present and through a series of flashbacks, as Derek forces him to tell the truth. And it is far from predictable. I never knew what was going to be revealed next and the twist at the end was just... no words! I just did not expect it at all! The Trut
Brenda A
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a short quick read. Teen Chris wakes up strapped to a chair by Derek, a boy threatening to cut off Chris' fingers with garden shears. With an opener like that, how can you not be hooked?!

Obviously the best part was the tension and the build up. I wanted to know all about the big event, what actions led up to it and what actions followed it. We know right away what happened, and Chris is forced to divulge how shooting Derek's little brother effected his life. There's just one secret he ca
The Gypsy Emmy
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly just didn't find this book speaking. I was completely drawn in by the description and I unfortunately found myself immediately bored with it.

While I definitely believe that many other people will enjoy this book, it most definitely wasn't for me, hence the middle of the road rating.

However, if your are like me, and have read books from author Jodi Picoult and desire a more mature
Holly (epiloguebookblog)
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Truth is a fast-pasted, suspenseful young adult read. Alternating between past and present, the novel details one character’s pursuit of the truth, and takes readers along for the ride. What actually happened on the night in question is revealed gradually, each new development accompanied by its own set of consequences.

The Truth is a concise read, in part a commentary on what people are willing to do to protect the ones they love. Boasting only a small cast of characters, the narrative focu
Zsalynn
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sara
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
ARC provided by Sourcebooks Fire and NetGalley

3.5 stars.

This was a good mystery for a younger YA audience, but it wasn't anything mind-blowing. I found that I could see the twist coming from quite early on in the book but it didn't take away from enjoying seeing how it unraveled.

I think that this is a good book for the 12-16 range, depending on their reading level, but is definitely more geared toward the younger end.
Nathan Bohannon
I am glad I picked this book up out of a whim. It was a simple read and truly did not take much time to complete.

It kept me guessing to the end and I very much enjoyed the setup of the novel which switched between past and present all ending in a shocking, honest ending.

Easy, quick read that kept me guessing until the very end. It was nice to read a mystery young adult novel that kept my attention and wasn't over complicated.
Crystal (that.ending.though)
Still deciding between 2.5 or 3 star. Super fast read, but some of it just didn't work for me as far as the narrative goes. I feel the ending was pretty predictable but also made me like it a little more because it was kind of eerie like.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Songbird Girls (Detective Tom Fabian #2)
  • Unwritten
  • The Thorn and the Sinking Stone
  • Something Hidden (Andrew Hunter, #2)
  • The Reaper's Daughter
  • Martyr
  • Sparrow 59 (The Sleepers' Coalition, #1)
  • History (Stella Blunt #2)
  • Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold
  • The Greatest Zombie Movie Ever
  • Lily and the Creep (Young Women of Faith: Lily Series, #3)
  • Twisted Dreams (The Dhampyre Chronicles, #1)
  • Exposed (Captive, #2)
  • Only With You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #5)
  • Hideous
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • Spindle (Two Monarchies Sequence, #1)
  • Material Girls