Start by marking “Transferral” as Want to Read:
Transferral

Transferral

London, England, present day. This is the world as we know it, but with one key difference: medical science has found a way to remove diseases from the sick. The catch? They can only transfer the diseases into other living humans. The government now uses the technology to cure the innocent by infecting criminals.

It is into this world that Talia Hale is born. Now sixteen an
Published October 24th 2015 by Dancing Cat Books

To ask other readers questions about Transferral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transferral

Start your review of Transferral
Tonyalee
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Immediately after seeing this book, I knew I had to get it. Think about it: the world where criminals are punished with diseases? I mean, definitely, a book I want to get my hands on!

The entire concept, while intriguing, is rather dark. If you think of horrible criminals, murderers, rapists. etc then you think, "okay, I can get on board with this." but petty crimes? It makes you think about the line, where it is and what happens if it's crossed. Children? What age should a person be legally puni
Laureen (Ms. Bibliophile)
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I didn't mean to read this book when I did. I picked it up from my desk and started reading the first page. Just to gauge whether I wanted to read it on Christmas Day, you see. Except that first page turned into the first chapter, which turned into the next three chapters. By the time Christmas Dinner had started I'd managed to read this entire book in stolen snatches of time from my hectic Christmas Day. I don't regret it. This was a fantastic book.

The basic premise of transferral of illness to
Dylan
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of potiental and i was very intriuged by it based on the synopsis, but sadly it didn't live up to its potiental.

This book is only 191 pages and it was just very rushed, the writing was choppy, and i ended up not really having any emotional connection with the characters or the story because there just wasn't enough time for it to develop, for me.
Jesse Nicholas
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
** I received the e-ARC version of this book in exchange for an honest review. **

Transferral by Kate Blair is a standalone young adult science fiction novel. In a world where criminals are punished with diseases from the good citizens of the city, we follow the daughter of the politician who supports these actions as she goes through a self evalutation of right and wrong. This book begs the questions: when are the lines blurred between good and evil? Is this the route our world might take in the
Kaitlin (Next Page Please!)
This review was also posted on Next Page Please!

I got an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. None of my opinions are altered by that.

I was pretty intrigued by the synopsis about Transferral. The world definitely seemed super interesting because sickness is definitely a very common thing among us and getting through a sickness is not always the prettiest thing. Seeing a world with technology that helps people get rid of sickness so easily, intrigued me. I wanted
HELEN ZHANG
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I attended the Word on the Street books festival in Toronto and the author happened to be in attendance. Since I could get the book 20% off as well as the author's signature, I bought the book. I also really liked the summary, enjoyed reading the first page, and thought it'd be good to support a first time novelist.

I am currently on page 35, and let me just say, this book had exceeded my expectations so far. It is well written with a likeable protagonist. Great pacing. So much better than a lot
Valerie Sherrard
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant debut novel -- Blair's pacing and storyline make this one you simply can't put down. Will be watching for more from this author!
Dominick
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The initial premise is intriguing: in an alternate reality, illness of apparently any kind, from a cold through to things like polio, can be transferred medically form one person to another, curing the first by visiting the illness on the second. This has been adopted into the criminal system as a method of punishment: the severity of the illness one gets depends on the severity of one's (supposed) crime. The catch, of course--which the book really does not investigate as fully as it ought--is t ...more
Amanda at Brains, Books, and Brawn
* I received an advanced ebook from the publisher. This does not affect my opinion or my review *

The premise of Transferral had me from the getgo. A society that transfers illness from law-abiding citizens to those convicted of various crimes? I'M THERE. I knew immediately that the social commentary to come would be incredible. Just after receiving the book, I had the pleasure of getting to hear Kate speak at the Toronto Word on the Street festival about the book and I was even more hooked.

Talia
Kkharvey
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had a friend hand me this book and tell me to read it. A new author (and after having seen her in person, utterly delightful), with an interesting perspective.

Although I'd have liked a bit more clarity on how the world worked, I could get behind the premise enough to find the story believable and an enjoyable read. Talia's world is definitely an interesting take on what our criminal justice system could be like leading to many ethical questions.

My only complaint is that this book left me want
Cee
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: myrca-2017
Talia lives in a bubble of wealth and privilege, her father is running in the election to become Prime Minister of Britain on a promise to get tough on crime. Although in this alternate reality, London's criminals are given illnesses as opposed to jail time. Talia's journey brings her into the heart of the criminal underground and she begins to realize her father's policies aren't effective and are in fact killing young and innocent children. Transferral's political message accurately reflects t ...more
Katarina Gligorijević
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Great concept, very well executed. I love the idea that diseases can be transferred from one person to another, and the moral implications of a society based on such a reality are really interesting and well explored here. This book reminded me of how much I love well written YA fiction. It was a fun, exciting page turner!
Heather M Connor
Brilliant contemporary sci-fi, set in an alternate-history London. It's a great social commentary on society's haves and have-nots.

When her actions reveal a world she's never seen before, the female protagonist struggles with an ethical dilemma. Eerie social justice parallels in our own world. A must-read for teens.
Tasha
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent pacing - it kept the story flowing without missing important details or getting bogged down in unimportant ones. The chapters were the perfect length to be able to easily put the book down and come back to it later in the day. Also the perfect length to tell yourself that you'll just read one more and before you realize, several hours have passed.
Jennifer Mook-Sang
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
brilliant page-turner!!! i was fully immersed in the story and didn't come up for air till the extremely satisfying ending.
Jasmine
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Works well as an introduction to the idea of retributive justice vs. restorative justice, and the societal impact that both have.

Also has some honestly chilling moments when you see how this society has just not bothered to research treatment for things that just affect criminals. Or even to bother to make the process of transferral non-agonizing. Cause it just affects criminals, right?

People talk about being unable to conceptualize huge numbers and effects, it needs small stories for our brai
Kathy Piselli
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A hard look at how a society deals with lawbreakers without confronting the reasons for people to break laws. It also advocates for citizens to "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear". Learn more before setting your worldview in stone. Good advice for all.

Except for some odd focus at times on makeup I thought the pacing worked well. There is a rapid romance, but that's how it goes in wartime! And in YA novels.
Susan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: willows-2017
A terrific read with a thought-provoking premise. Something for your fans of dystopia and futurism.

A companion to Hunger Games, Legend series, or even 1984. Almost five stars, I'm not entirely certain what's stopping me.
Richard
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting book. In this story there is a way to transfer diseases from person to person, so criminals' sentences are certain diseases. The main character is a girl named Talia and she explores the poorer side of town and reveals secrets.
Joyce Grant
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A smart, well-built world and memorable characters. There really needs to be a sequel (hint, hint!).
Haily
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hell-yes
This was an amazing read. I had my eye on it at the library for awhile and one day I decided to pick it up. I couldn't stop reading! I finished the whole thing in one day. It was fantastic!
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
In an alternate London, England, the National Transfer Service has become a fundamental part of the legal system. Criminals are punished with viruses and diseases transferred from sick patients. Common colds are given for petty crimes, while serious offenders receive infectious diseases like tuberculosis and meningitis. Symptoms of sickness have become associated with crime.

Sixteen-year-old Talia Hale has never questioned the Transfer system; she's always believed it saves innocent lives and act
Melissa Mossing
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic and I would love to see it adapted to a longer adult version or movie
WolfeMan
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The idea for this book is incredible, with the problems and questions both the main character and reader have to ask themselves hitting a very easy punch that could have really pulled me into this world.

Key words, could have. I felt that this book was very short, and moved way too fast for me to appreciate and be attached to the characters. The three stars I gave it are mainly for how much potential this novel has, as I walked away from it feeling like it missed the punch a bit and wasn't able t
Jenny Ashby
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a fun sci fi/dystopia with a unique premise. I like that Blair makes you buy into the system at first. Since we're viewing it through Talia's eyes it seems fair and just to punish people with diseases. After all, if you don't commit crimes, you won't get those diseases, right? Of course as a savvy reader, I suspected it wasn't that good in reality and sure enough, I was right. I appreciate the way the author is sneakily taking on modern day issues that seem black and white but really hav ...more
Jody Lewandowski
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cafe-book
A new angle on the dystopian vision! Transfer diseases from good people to criminals!
I'm glad for a fresh look (to me), and likable characters who are brave and maybe outrageously durable. Huge action, and tense pacing - I loved it!
Big themes - The discussion of who is good and who should be labeled criminal will be heated! Where does grace come into the decision? What is justice and how does it figure in? Reminds me of the culture during Jesus' time. Disease meant you or your family had commit
Niki
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although Transferral is a bit dark, it is well-written and is based on a unique premise. Criminals, even petty ones, are punished with a transfer of an illness from a "good person" who happened to get sick. Society starts to have a twisted idea of right and wrong, but the more Talia Hale, a prominent politician's daughter, learns about what is really happening, the more she wants to help.

Short-listed for the 2017 MYRCA.
Kieran
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Really interesting world and premise, but the main characters' arc fell a little flat. Her character was simplistic, and the ending was more than a little "white-saviour-y" as the character blue mohawk calls her.
Tori
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing

• La Chambre des merveilles
  • Beau and Bett
  • Kiss Me in New York
  • Once Was Lost
  • Six Months Later
  • The Lipstick Chronicles: Book One: Men at Work/ By a Nose/ Landslide/ Tumbling Down
  • Kissed by an Angel/The Power of Love/Soulmates (Kissed by an Angel, #1-3)
  • No One Needs to Know
  • I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister
  • Terrienne
  • Wicked for Hire (Paranormal in Manhattan #1)
  • Finding Christmas
  • Perfect Ten
  • The Becoming of Noah Shaw (The Shaw Confessions, #1)
  • The Forever of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #2)
  • Follow Me Back (Follow Me Back, #1)
  • #EnjoyMarie
  • Métaphysique des tubes
Born on a tiny island stuck to the south coast of England, Kate Blair has worked as a museum curator, a clown and at a theme park on the Jersey Shore. She's made furniture for the Sydney Olympic Village and been a cook on a ship on the Great Barrier Reef. She now lives in Toronto and is a young adult author, a mother of two small children, and very, very tired. Her first novel. Transferral, was no ...more