Start by marking “Miss You” as Want to Read:
Miss You

Miss You

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  6,556 Ratings  ·  758 Reviews
Tess and Gus are meant to be. They just haven't met properly yet. And perhaps they never will . . .

Today is the first day of the rest of your life is the motto on a plate in the kitchen at home, and Tess can't get it out of her head, even though she's in Florence for a final, idyllic holiday before university. Her life is about to change forever - but not in the way she e
Published August 11th 2016 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Miss You, please sign up.
Alysa It's very similar in a lot of ways but there's a major factor that makes for a different read overall: the book spans about 18 years, so the…moreIt's very similar in a lot of ways but there's a major factor that makes for a different read overall: the book spans about 18 years, so the characters may start at 18 (like in Just One Day), but spend most of the book in their twenties and early thirties, which makes for some very different life experiences.
If you liked Just One Day it's definitely worth picking up. (less)

Katie B
Absolutely loved it! I think some books just find a way into your life at the right time and this might be a case of that. Maybe six months from now I wouldn't feel quite the same way but this was just the perfect read for me at the moment. The premise isn't really groundbreaking as it's just a story about two people who meet in Italy and share a brief moment in time but go back to England alone. The book follows their lives for the next 16 years as they experience heartache, love, etc..

On an e
Whispering Stories
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A romance novel with a heart on the cover. Two characters who are meant to be. Alternating first person narratives following them through their lives. Sound familiar and wearingly clichéd? Kate Eberlen might not have made herself immediately appealing to the critic’s eye, but in her novel ‘Miss You’ she has written an interesting, enjoyable and immersive work that is both light and literary, and a gently provocative read.

We’re introduced to the main characters in 1997, when Tess and her best fri
Anja
Sep 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not really sure if two stars is an okay rating because a) I didn't really read this book properly and b) if I had read it properly and it would have been the right time and stuff, I might have liked it. Maybe.
Edit: changed it to one star :D

OK, so the book is about Tess and Gus, who 'meet' in Italy when they are each on vacation. They both go back to England the next day and their paths separate. In the next 16 years they 'meet' more than once again, but they never really get to know each ot
Celeste_pewter
Three things:

1) The book felt a little too much like a confluence of One Day and Love, Rosie, down to the affairs, accidental pregnancies, culinary-inspired careers and Tess's desire to become a writer.

2) Why is it that women in these books are always borderline pathetic? They're always self-sacrificing, giving up careers, having affairs and waiting for rich friends to fix their problems. No, damn it. Go fix your own life. Go look at Gwenyth Paltrow in Sliding Doors and emultate her.

It's not
Joana
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sinto a tua Falta" tem todas as características do género "chick-lit" e dentro dessa categoria é um dos melhores que tenho lido nos últimos tempos. O enredo parece inspirar-se no livro "Um Dia" de David Nicholls (que chega a ser mencionado a determinada altura. Estamos perante duas vidas que nunca se cruzam e que são narradas em paralelo ao longo dos anos. A história está muito bem estruturada, tendo a autora optado por se focar em temas como a morte, a família, o alcoolismo, o cancro e o síndr ...more
Mafi
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para primeiro livro da autora não está mal...gostei. Achei a 5ª parte um pouco apressada e o final é muito corrido. Achei que fosse mais romântico do que é e para mim o titulo nem se refere à saudade entre os dois protagonistas.

Aborda alguns temas sérios como o cancro, síndrome de Asperger, alcoolismo e o adultério. A minha personagem preferida foi a Hope.
Curiosa para ler mais trabalhos da autora no futuro.

----
(...)
Claro que aqui o que interessa é perceber se Tess e Gus se vão encontrar outra v
Susan
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you netgalley for approving my request for this book, although not out til August I had heard great things already. I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end. It is a wonderfully intimate story following two very endearing characters who are unaware of each other. As the chapters progressed I felt more and more engrossed in Tess and Gus's lives, so much so I feel bereft now that I have finished the book. I miss the characters already and feel this book will stay with me for a long ...more
Lynne
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub-reads
I had a hard time with this book ...

You see - it has been compared to One Day, a novel that revolved around two people always missing their chance, until they don't but then life gets in the way. A really heart-warming love story that had me in tears at the end.

Miss You is about two people, Tess and Gus, who were both in Florence at the same time ... they were in the same church, they saw one another ... and that's it. They aren't two people who know one another, who are simply being to bull hea
Olga
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa Martins
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Destino...

Será que quando nascemos já temos um destino traçado?ou somos nós que construímos esse destino??

Quando estava a meio desta leitura, foi estas as perguntas que me questionei?
Isto porque a minha mãe tem sempre a conversa de.... "nós quando nascemos já temos o nosso destino traçado, se ele o quis assim temos que o aceitar e saber viver com ele".
Tenho sempre a resposta "mãe, o destino somos nós que o construímos no nosso dia a dia".
Depois de ler este livro, começo a pensar se a minha mãe
Brina
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An "Miss You" scheiden sich ja derzeit die Geister, denn die einen lieben dieses Buch, die anderen hegen eher eine Abneigung. Da ich mal wieder neugierig war, wollte ich dem Buch trotz kleinerer Skepsis eine Chance geben und habe es fast in einem Rutsch gelesen.

Nun, in einem Rutsch durchlesen klingt ja eigentlich zunächst positiv, denn dies ist immerhin ein Zeichen dafür, dass sich die Geschichte leicht und schnell lesen lässt. Dennoch besitzt die Geschichte aber auch einige Schwächen, sodass i
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

MISS YOU is a story of missed connections about two people who are perfect for each other but never meet over the course of fifteen years.

Tess and Gus first meet briefly in Florence as teenagers—she while on holiday with her best friend, Doll and he while on a trip with his parents who are still grieving after losing his older brother in a skiing accident. Over the next several years, both of their lives take them on journeys neither of them saw coming. Serendipitously, they almost meet again s
Melissa
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best way to enjoy this novel is to avoid reading the blurb and go into it with no expectations about the plot. It is a thoroughly engaging saga about two people and the directions their lives take over the years on the path to maturity. Both Tess and Gus are intricately drawn characters who feel and act so realistically that readers will likely miss them once the book is complete. Once the reader gets into the rhythm of the story, the tale is difficult to put down until the conclusion.
Tess a
Meg - A Bookish Affair
In "Miss You," Kate Eberlen explores the idea of whether or not there is a person for everyone, a person that matches them so well that any other relationship will pale in comparison. Are our relationships fate or happenstance? We meet Gus and Tess in this book and the readers can see that they would be perfect for each other. They don't know each other and they will spend the entire book crossing paths but not knowing each other. Will true love be found?

I don't necessarily believe in fate when
Lisbeth
Nov 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe chick lit is just not for me, or maybe this book was just really bad. I didn't absolutely hate it like other one star books - it was just really, really bad.

[Denne bog er modtaget af Politikens Forlag som anmeldereksemplar. Alle ord og holdninger er mine egne.]

The characters knowingly screw up their own lives time and time again, and frankly it's incredibly annoying. The book is so full of clichés, that even the original elements in the story seem worn out and weary.

I had hoped for a war
Marilina Fernandes
Adorei, está nas minhas leituras de preferidos 2017.
Um livro que não "fala" apenas de amor e romance. Ele saltita por temas tão importantes como a morte, o alcoolismo, famílias pouco estruturadas, relações de pais e filhos, de irmãos, de doenças como o Cancro e o Síndroma de Asperger.
Uma leitura que nos toca no coração de um modo especial, viajamos um pouco pela Inglaterra e por Itália e sempre aprendendo que nas coisas mais simples poderemos encontrar a felicidade!
Laurence R.
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me so happy and so sad at the same time, and I absolutely loved it! I highly recommend it.
Océano de libros
Las vidas de Tess y de Gus se cruzan en Florencia y tienen que pasar casi dos décadas hasta que se vuelvan a encontrar y entre ellos surja el verdadero amor.
Quería probar algo distinto y dejar un poco de lado las típicas novelas de romance que suelo leer y creí que esta cumpliría mis expectativas y que sería buena, más que nada por lo que se decía en la portada pero… la verdad es que tanto esperar para nada. Os voy a ser sincera y desde ya os digo que la famosa historia de amor se desarrolla al
Deborah
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Regular readers of my reviews will be shocked that I read this book... which probably can be classified as 'romance'. Indeed, it reminded me of my Maeve Binchy-loving days as it was a little saga-like and not necessarily in a bad way.

Tess and Gus meet but barely when they're 18 and just out of school. It's not particularly memorable but both seem to sense something in the other... a connection of sorts - recognising a kindred spirit perhaps.

Their lives move on, though because we're following bot
Steffi
2.5

Der Klappentext hebt die außergewöhnliche Liebesgeschichte zwischen Tess und Gus vor, denn die beiden laufen sich immer mal wieder auf den Weg, aber es dauert bis zu sie zusammenfinden. Ich habe von Miss you eine berührende und romantische Liebesgeschichte erwartet, leider wurden meine Erwartungen nicht erfüllt.

Die Liebesgeschichte kommt in diesem Buch viel zu kurz. Mehr Details hierzu würden die Geschichte jedoch spoilern. Dieses Buch ist für mich nicht wirklich eine Liebesgeschichte und die
Helen Eddon
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beginning in August 1997, Miss You follows the lives of Tess and Gus. In 1997, they are both 18 years old and about to go to university following holidays in Italy. However, life is never as simple or straightforward as you expect. Gus does begin his medical degree but Tess finds herself at home, taking care of her 5 year old sister following the death of her mother. Tess and Gus found their paths crossing very briefly in Italy, they should have met at university and there are fleeting encounter ...more
Adelaide Silva
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5* No geral gostei bastante, apesar de a autora andar a saltitar sistematicamente entre Tess e Gus, mas consegue cativar para continuarmos a ler. Peca por andar muito tempo a enredar sobre os dois personagens e na última parte ter acabado a meu ver precipitadamente
Tiana
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a weird one for me. I liked the idea of the story, but I don't believe the author has executed it as well as they could have. So much infidelity and just general disloyalty were excessive throughout the entire book. And at the end of it all, we only managed to get a couple of chapters with the two leading character; and to me, it was rushed, and there was zero chemistry and reasoning for them to even end up together.

I know how the author wanted it to be, I could see where she was going
Delores
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Don't like it. Don't recommend it. Enough said.
E.
Wat een fijn boek. Heel veel liefde, maar ook veel andere mooie dingen, waardoor het geen puur romantisch verhaal is.
Wendy Bunnell
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Miss You covers 18 years of separate lives of August / Gus and Theresa / Tess / Tree after they briefly meet but don't really connect while both on vacation in Italy in 1997. They both deal with their respective launching, family dramas, friendships, other relatinships, etc. Told in alternating chapters, they keep having glimpses and near misses over 18 years.

It reminded me of "alternate reality" books like Maybe in Another Life and The Post-Birthday World in that it was repetitive, with period
Fabi
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um livro muito amoroso, gostei muito!
KOMET
4:57 PM EST. A few minutes ago, I finished reading this novel, my eyes brimming with tears. I am now basking in an afterglow of quasi-orgasmic satisfaction, for this was a story that spoke to my heart and mind, captivating me throughout its 433 pages.

The story begins in Florence (Italy) in August 1997. Two young ladies from the UK - friends from childhood - are nearing the end of a summer holiday before each will embark on different paths. Tess, who had recently received her A-levels, has secure
Annette Juhlin
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glad och full av intryck och framtidsplaner kommer Tess hem efter att ha tågluffat i Europa med sin bästa vän Doll. Kontrasten mot gatan hemma, där allt är sig precis likt, blir en stor besvikelse. Tess känner starkt att hon är färdig med kvarteret där hon vuxit upp och hon ser fram emot att börja på universitetet och starta sitt nya liv. Hon utgår från att pappan är på puben som vanligt, men hon blir förvånad över att varken hennes mamma eller lillasyster möter henne när hon kommer hem, efter a ...more
  • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
  • The Impossible Vastness of Us
  • Remember Me (See Me, #2)
  • Our Hearts Will Burn Us Down
  • Star Struck (Ladybirds, #4)
  • Until It Fades
  • Broken Record (Record, #5)
  • So was von da
  • Everything You Want Me to Be
  • Bonds (Binds, #2)
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Spinner
  • Hannes
  • Ruined (Barnes Brothers, #4)
  • First and Last
  • The Girl Before
  • After You (Second Chances #3)
  • Detached
Kate Eberlen grew up in a small town thirty miles from London and spent her childhood reading books and longing to escape. She studied Classics at Oxford University before working in publishing and as a teacher. Kate now lives on the south coast of England, but spends as much time as she can in Italy, a country she loves. She is married with one son.
“It's funny how when you get towards the end of a holiday, half of you never wants it to end and the other half is looking forward to the comforts of home.” 1 likes
“complimentary” 1 likes