Start by marking “DEBBI” as Want to Read:
DEBBI

DEBBI

(Helen of Mars 0.5)

A game to end all games. On the line: her family’s future. Will Helen’s creation be enough to win the day? Or will she lose, and take her family down with her?
Helen Hunter’s father hopes to make his fortune by sending a robotic rover, controlled from Earth, to mine the surface of Mars for precious ores.
But there’s a catch. To do it, he’ll have to assume financial responsi
Published July 5th 2016 by Glass House Press

To ask other readers questions about DEBBI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DEBBI

Jessica
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What I wanted when I picked up George Ebey's DEBBI novella: a quick, easy read that I could finish in an afternoon while my kids played. What I got when I picked up DEBBI: an action-packed intro into a world and characters that I promptly devoured. I also got super mad when I remembered that I had to WAIT until next year to read more about Helen and Misty. But thanks to this little teaser I'm intrigued and I'll wait as patiently as I can. George Ebey has a winner in this middle grade series and ...more
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
DEBBI starts out with a bang! I was pulled in immediately and did not want to stop! I did, however, take a mini break to go find George Ebey on Twitter to verify if the series would be in complete novels or if it would continue on in novella form though (complete novels fyi!).

DEBBI is mostly about Helen. A smart girl who has entered a competition to try to earn the rights to controlling a mining drone on the planet Mars. She fears that if she doesn't win, her family will lose all of their money
Ula
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*ARC copy*

DEBBI is a fast-paced novella that really engaged me despite its shortness. It's very dynamic, has a lot of action, but it's also a little bit dramatic and complex in subtle ways. The characters are fun, smart, witty, kickass... I love both Helen and Misty for their differences as well as being great dork team. I got to know them in 'Helen of Mars' novella from Brave New Girls collection so I was already familiar with their story. This was a great prequel to both the oncoming novel as
Richard Schall
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sci-fi geek so I was already excited to read DEBBI. From the start my heart was pumping. I had that rush of watching Battle Bots from when I was younger. I'm in love with these characters. Helen and Misty kept me smiling throughout the entire read. I've just completed an entire year teaching and working with robotics in the classroom so this novella was exactly what I needed. George Ebey is a fantastic writer and keeps you engaged with excitement. This is a must read middle grade novella.
Mary Fan
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the not-so-distant future, gamer girl and engineering prodigy Helen Hunter enters a prestigious battle bot competition sponsored MARSCORP, a company that sends rovers to mine Mars. Except she's not just doing it for the thrill of it. MARSCORP has grown notorious for making lots of money off the dreams of would-be Mars explorers--by selling them expensive equipment and whatnot then taking a cut of their revenues in exchange for giving them a chance to profit from Mars' rich ore deposits. In th ...more
Carrie White
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let me start with the disclaimer that I am NOT a fan of space opera. Or really sci fi, for that matter. So when I first heard about DEBBI... well, I was reluctant.

Boy did this little book knock my socks off. The heroine is smart, snarky, and driven. She doesn't take no for an answer, and she's not afraid to go up against the big baddie. The world is incredibly unique, action is quick, the language is tight, the story is absolutely wonderful. And the ending, omg!

I literally cannot wait for this s
Errin Stevens
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I don't typically go for hard sci-fi/fantasy, so I kind of read this on a lark - which is easy to do since it's not epic length like most other stories in the genre. And I have to say I really enjoyed this. It's tightly imagined, very well written, approachable to non-techies like me... and exciting. Well done, Mr. Ebey!
Jessica
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well now, color me interested! I'm a fan of Science Fiction at the best of times, but it takes a lot of talent to weave a really good story into a novella length piece. There's a very short period of time to bring in characters, make them feel richly written, and lay out their fates. George Ebey doesn't even blink an eye with DEBBI. He makes full use of all the time that he has, and it makes for one intriguing read.

This novella comes on strong. I was hooked on the idea of a lone robot, battling
Gailz Goodiez
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Girl paired against evil corporation? Gaming with battle bots? I was sold at the concept. Well written, full of imagery and imagination.
Kaitlin Smith
Jan 15, 2016
Tash McAdam
Sep 16, 2015
George Ebey
Sep 16, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Linda Foster
Kaley Stephenson
Lacy Bright
Courtney
Oct 05, 2016
George Ebey is the author of the forthcoming Helen of Mars Saga, a series of sci-fi adventure tales for young readers soon to be published by Glass House Press.

Prior to turning to the world of Middle Grade and Young Adult adventure, he got his start by writing works of mystery and suspense. Ebey’s previous titles include: Broken Clock; The Red Bag; Dimensions: Tales of Suspense; and Widowfield.

The