Start by marking “Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo” as Want to Read:

(Manga Classics)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
A Conspiracy and a miscarriage of justice turn the gentle Edmond Dantès into an implacable agent of fate: The Count of Monte Cristo . Obsessed by vengeance and empowered by providence, the Count avenges himself on whose who have wronged him - but is this justice, or is this hubris? In the end, does even the Count know?

Alexandre Dumas' skillful narrative combines intrigue,
Published April 1st 2017 by Udon Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Manga Classics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manga Classics

[Shai] Bibliophage
This is the nth time that I've read a Manga Classics from that were published by Udon Entertainment. I still haven't the classic book of The Count of Mount Cristo and I didn't have the slightest idea about the story.
Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo
The original novel of Alexandre Dumas is a thousand-page book, hence it will take several days or weeks before I could finish reading it. However, through this adaptation, I was able to finish reading this classic story in just several hours. It's a great alternative for som
San
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
More reviews: Behind the Sentence
Manga adaptation of classic books is such a great idea!
As a huge fan of classic books I always wanted to read book ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ but somehow I’ve never really decided to start it. Reading book that has more than 1000 pages and was written so long ago could be a challenge and I always was a little afraid to take it. So when I found out there is a manga adaptation of Alexandre Dumas’ novel, I was thrilled.
I’m sure that converting such enormous book i
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
I love this Manga Classic adaptations!
I've read Jane Eyre and Pride and prejudice, two of my favourite books, and I found them almost perfect. But this manga of The Count of Monte Cristo is my first aproach to this liteature classic, so I can't tell if it's a great adaptation or not. I found no difficulty with the story, which of course is great (it's a classic for some reason!). I knew the story and I became hooked since page one. And the art is beautiful! With not too much detail but with move
Nicole
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, graphic
Manga Classics: Count of Monte Cristo!!! First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

It took me quite a long time to finish this Manga, it wasn't really the stories fault, more my own. First I had a bit of a reading slump, then I forgot to pick it up again. But I finished it today. And I truly enjoyed the story.

I LOVE a good revenge story, not going to lie. Granted, sometimes the revenger can go a little bit too far, people react differently and really bad things happen that he
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This adaptation of Alexandre Dumas’s novel ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ was excellent. The visualization of the characters and plot made it so easy to follow and enjoy 1200+ pages in the condensed Manga version with the right trimmings. Therefore, the primary focus here was the story of the Count, how he came to be and his revenge plans.

Young Edmond Dantes had a lot going for himself in 1815. He was to become the new captain of a ship, marry his fiancé and save his father from poverty with his ne
Marjolein
Full review to come!
palina
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

This was honestly such a good fun read, one of the better books I’ve read in a while.
I hadn't read the full book and i was generally unaware of the majority of the plot beforehand but i think this version does a really good job of giving the major plot points, and focusing specifically on the count’s account. The only issue that I had was that sometimes the politics and motivations of the side characters were a little unclear but that’s a given in such a shortened down version.

I thorough
Alexandra
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The rich story of Count de Monte Cristo comes to life in this amazing manga, with rich drawings, long detailed plot and many deep emotions. I didn't expect the ending since I've watched the movies but I did like it very much!
Maggie Darcy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
El conde de Montecristo es una de mis novelas favoritas. Buena adaptación
Josephine
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
5 stars!

I knew I would love this! 😁

I haven't read the original The Count of Monte Cristo, but from the reviews of those who have this is a really good rendition of it, staying true to the original and not leaving important details out. I, for one, have no complaints. I didn't feel confused at any point, but felt like I did understand the story as it developed well enough.

Dantes and his plot for vengeance was awesome. I loved this story, and was rooting for Dantes all the way through. Oh, and the
Silvia Rodriguez
The Count of Monte Cristo, manga style. I never thought I would find something like this, basically because I always thought mangas where some Japanese comics you read from backward to forward, which an inconvenience from my point of view. Mangas never brought my attention but this one did. I had The Count of Monte Cristo novel with me for years but I was always unable to start it, scared of its size (around a thousand pages in Spanish, my native language), its author, its plot with a huge histo ...more
Sesana
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, adaptation
I think this is the best Manga Classic adaptation yet. It helps that the original novel is a highly dramatic and very cool story, so there's something nice and meaty to work with. This is, I think, where The Jungle Book fell down for me: not enough interesting happens. With The Count of Monte Cristo, there's betrayals and blackmails and murder on almost every page. It's awesome. There's obviously been a fair bit trimmed. This is about 400 pages, and an unabridged English translation of the origi ...more
Jordanne ~ Bloodthirsty Little Beasts Blog ~
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you have read the Count of Monte Cristo, you obviously don't need me to give an overview of the plot, if you haven't then what the hell are you doing reading reviews on this book? Go and read the original. Now. It's amazing and you will not appreciate this book or the story unless you have read it. And not the abridged version, the whole 1300 page monster.

The Count of Monte Cristo is easily my favourite classic novel - perha
Lillian Bittle
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't ever heard of this book. Never seen the movie. Never read a picture book. And I loved it! I think part of it was, I had NO idea what on earth would happen next. It was so addicting! I literally had trouble putting it down to eat! Put this on your "must-MUST-read" shelf.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My rating 5 Stars.

Basically I am a comic book lover, first time I am reading a Manga. I have not read The Count of Monte Cristo book when it was available for review in Net galley I picked it up.

The graphic novel “The Count Of Monte Cristo” is 401 pages long, a classic tale of Alexandre Dumas adapted to Manga the art work by Nokman Poon and story adaption by Crystal S.Chan.

From the blurb
"A conspiracy and a miscarriage of justice turn the gentle Edmond Dante's into an implacable agent of fate:
Emily Stephenson
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite things in one: classic literature and manga!
I received a few digital editions of UDON Entertainment’s manga adaptations of classics.

First of all, I think it’s important to note and acknowledge the mechanical team behind the manga. Starting with the art! The work and details are impressive. The artist of this adaptation is Nokman Poon. They have also worked on other manga adaptations as well, and I am really excited to see more of their work! The story was adapted by Crystal S.
Emily (Falling for YA)
DNF - it's not bad, but the story is dragging and I just can't get motivated to read this.
Nightlizard
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this is my favorite Manga Classics so far. I love the original story and I knew I would like this one as well, knowing it made my reading process really easy and fast.
My only "problem" with all the Manga classics books is that they all seems a bit rushed, but overall, I enjoyed it very much.

*Digital review copy provided by NetGalley & the publisher in exchange for an honest review or rating.
Maud
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
I got a review copy form the publisher in exchange for my honest review, all opinions are my own.

Possibly my least favourite manga classic. They had to condense the story which isn't strange, after all the book is over a 1,000 pages. However, I would have rather seen that they had published the whole story in separate volumes, giving us the full story at the right pace. What I loved seeing in the original novel is Edmund/The Count doing stuff that didn't make sense to me at all in the beginning
Online Eccentric Librarian
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, historical, manga

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This is one of the better in the manga classics line; I've been critical of past efforts, especially the overwrought Pride and Prejudice, but I think the authors are improving. Novels are more than their plot and with the classics, the milieu is as important as the characterizations (and sadly lacking in previous manga classic efforts). In this case, a daunting task of taking a 1000 page Dumas adventure novel and turning
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Edmond Dantes is betrayed by a coworker who wants his job, a romantic rival who will steal his bride, and a crooked government prosecutor with a dark secret to hide. Thrown into prison for decades, Dantes eventually escapes, becomes fabulously wealthy, and vows revenge on those who ruined his life.

Count of Monte Cristo is one of my top five favorite novels of all time, so I was interested to see how one of my favorite stories would translate into manga form. Although they had to simplify the sto
Lara Mi

The Count of Monte Cristo is by the same artist who penned Manga Classics: Great Expectations which is my least favourite of the Manga Classics series. While I already enjoyed the art of the earlier work, I could not get over the choppy flow of the story. Yet here with The Count of Monte Cristo, the storytelling is finally on par with the art style and it makes for a stunning adaptation!

This is one of the cases where I have yet to read the original, but this manga adaptation can safely be read w
SharieCrimson
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Count of Monte Cristo is about a man who is wrongly imprisoned and then takes revenge on those who sent him there. This is the manga of that classic and it is very well done in my opinion. I have not read the original, so I couldn't say how it matches up to that, but the last few pages describing the process say that it was kept close to the original.

I liked the art work and how they were able to create Edmond as
Arybo ✨
"My kingdom is bounded only by the world, I adopt all customs, speak all languages. I have but two adversaries, distance and time. Only death can stop me. God is there but not one above me."

I didn’t like this manga as much as the others from the same publisher. Why? I loved Les Miserables and Romeo and Juliet, I also loved Edgar Allan Poe's stories. Why then did not this excite me?

It had a great start, seeing the wonder of the drawings. The problem perhaps lies in the fact that a lot of infor
Andrew
Having read the original, I really appreciated this adaptation.
The difficult part about this particular Manga was that though, the original book is far more complex, there are over 30 characters' plots to keep up with. However, Crystal S. Chan does a great job of keeping the plot concise and following the book pretty faithfully.
The artwork is really great in this one. I will have to go back and re-read the original again.
I hope that MANGA Classics keeps on making these.
This is a great way to
Shari (colourmeread)
ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite books of all time so when I found this manga adaptation, I just had to read it. With the original book containing over 1200 pages, I was curious to see how well this 400-page adaptation would compare.

I'm happy to say that it doesn't disappoint! Not only is the art stunning but it also stays true to the original. There's a page or two at the beginning of each chapter solely dedicated to
Taiwo Balogun
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to find a lot of things to say about this manga novel. It had no issues and was very well-illustrated

First, the setting. It’s set in France in the 19th century. And there are balls, parties, pirates and so on. Who doesn’t love France?
I also liked that the author exposed the corruption in the society. The book is basically about destroying corrupt men to the point of no return. Although, I don’t like the concept of revenge, I could understand why it was needed. The men involved were ve
Camryn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always, I was thrilled with this book!
I've enjoyed several of the Manga Classics series thanks to Netgalley, but this one is an easy favorite because the Count of Monte Cristo is a long time favorite of mine (the best classic of all time? probably).
The art was great and it did an excellent job of telling the story and condensing it into a shorter, easier to swallow tale without sacrificing any of the story.
Camille
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I got so excited when I saw new books were available in the collection! As usual, the artwork is great and the manga is so fun to read. I absolutely love Manga Classics.
For this particular one, I wasn't too fond of the story itself. So for me, it was a great way of discovering the story without having to read the whole book, which I don't think I would have been able to do!

Thank you to NetGalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Writer, Manga Classics from UDON Entertainment.

My obsessions include historical costuming, comics, manga, young adult fiction, magic realism, chocolate, and the oxford comma. I enjoy decaf tea, art house cinema, dressing up & getting down.

Manga Classics (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Manga Classics: Les Misérables