Start by marking “The Abandoned Orphanage” as Want to Read:

Revised and Edited Edition
On the first day of summer a young girl Lauren disappears after climbing through a broken window into an abandoned building that was once an orphanage. Now Jacob, her brother and only witness to her disappearance, Jose, a newspaper reporter and recent widower, and Anna, a woman with her own connection to the old orphanage, along with three para
Published September 14th 2015 by Dark Moon Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Abandoned Orphanage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abandoned Orphanage

Start your review of The Abandoned Orphanage
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
REVIEW: THE ABANDONED ORPHANAGE by John Carter

I leaped at this title and description and was not disappointed. The author did a fine job of relating and contrasting a historical period (1910-1943) with contemporary time, in a quiet small community in Illinois, a community mainly distinguished by the number of disappearances, both children and adult. This is a spooky supernatural, with that wonderful implacability essential for horror. Sensitive souls may find it disturbing due to historical chil
Julie Donovan
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Abandoned Orphanage

Seeing this book on kindle unlimited had no reviews, I felt like giving it a try. The story held my interest. I love paranormal thrillers and this book delivers. My only issue was editing. The book is still readable just a word here and there missing. On whole maybe 6 errors I noticed. Solid story, I read to the end, great characters, great ending. With a bit of work on editing it would be great.
Annerlee
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, fast-paced read. A spooky haunted house story. Good fun!!
Boundless Book Reviews
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book starts off with a young boy and his sister. When his sister goes missing at an abandoned orphanage the investigation starts. Jose is set to write a story on the missing girl and in doing so he is swept into a much bigger story than he realizes. Nightmares, ghosts, and a haunted past lead Jose and several others into the orphanage. Soon the truth comes to light.

This book was pretty good. It was filled with action. It was scary and had ghosts and all the factors that belong in a good gho
Kelly
Okay, I'm not going to lie...there are multiple issues with this book. For instance, there are a TON of typos, the character names aren't consistent (I have a feeling the character Jose was originally Tim), the actions of the characters are detailed ad nausea (I do not need to know about the buttons on Anna's shirt), the characters reactions are a little too dramatic and unrealistic when dealing with each other, but are completely underwhelming when an emotional conflict is presented.

But on the
Stacey Hammond
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A spooky haunted house tale which was gripping & fast paced. The reason I only gave 3 stars was due to the grammatical errors, which made reading repetitive in places.
Catherine Carlson
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the story and would have given it five stars, but the author seemed to just have written it and published it. There was no editing. Words were left out and misspelled. It made me lose the flow of the story trying to figure out what he meant.

He needs to be sure and edit his work before publishing it. You can have a great novel, good characters, and a great ending, but if the reader can't read it because there are so many editing, misspelling, and left out words, what good is it?
Klpmyers
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Good story ruined by bad editing

A good story overall, some times there was too much detail and some of the characters could have benefited from a bit more development. Unfortunately the mistakes that are corrected through good proofreading were distracting .
Deborah Walker
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very Creepy...

I love creepy stories and this one was quite good. Several typos, but I was so engrossed in the story, it didn't really bother me too much. Nice little
twist at the end. I'll look for more reads from this author.
Kim
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I had high hopes for it. Ghosts in an abandonned orphanage: Why wouldn't I love that? These expectations were not entirely met, but it was still an enjoyable easy read.

The book starts from the perspective of a young teenager whose sister goes missing. I did not really like the way the author wrote these 2 characters. They sounded like 2 adults who were much much older and it just felt off. Luckily, as soon as the sister disappears, we get an actual adult that sounds right (tho
Tamara
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I give this tale 2 stars for a good idea and definite potential. As a writer and editor myself, sometimes awkwardness and poor editing make a book extremely difficult to get through. I used to not rate a book if I couldn't give it 4-5 stars. I'd simply leave no review at all. Other authors have pushed me to go ahead and give the honest feedback and reviews. I'm certain not all authors will appreciate this. I also know sometimes writers rely on others to edit for them or they (as do we all) have ...more
Roger Noland
Jan 12, 2021 rated it did not like it
An empty vessel.

Smarmy. Constantly repeated situations and plot lines. Apart from the few characters, there is no outside relevance. Sometimes difficult to read due to the really horrific editing . . . or lack thereof. The most obvious BS was the handheld walkie-talkies that transmitted and received over a thousand miles of distance. Pretty laughable if I hadn't wasted so much time reading this book.
Pam
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I couldn't put this book down, what a story, it doesn't just grip you, it grips you by the throat and won't let go, it is so good that even the odd spelling mistake or bad grammar doesn't put you off, its one of those stories that makes your heart pound so that it feels as if it is lodged in your throat; A really good read. ...more
Mickey LW
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Ghost story

If you are looking for a moderate suspenseful story then you will injoy this. All in all a good read..It needs to be spiced up more in places of the story. I can't say where, no spoilers here. :) This definitely had its moments, spooky moments that grabbed me. This story definitely has potential.
Donna Brown
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not sure if it's the way it was put onto kindle, but I really struggled to read this ...spelling mistakes galore and the wrong words used; like floor instead of door etc , sometimes I was trying to decipher what word it was meant to be. The over all story was ok but I thought it was way to predictable. ...more
Sandra Burns
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Great story, however, lots of errors. Spelling, grammar and words that made the sentence odd.

Young boy, and his sister, walked past the orphanage. His sister, heard something calling her. She climbed in the window. Never to be seen again. Then, others start investigating. That is when, the story really gets interesting.
Jeanne C Brockett
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
What happened to the people who where taken

The story ended but the mistery was only half solved OK it was not the kids doing the haunting but what happened to the people who disappeared?
Phyllis H. Pajka
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OH what a good scary book. I loved it and enjoyed every page of it. Characters that you could really like and enjoy and a good story line make for fantastic reading. Give it a try, you'll like it.
Kerry Cahill
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1\2 stars...

I did enjoy the story, I just felt it lacked depth.
It also had quite a few spelling and grammatical errors; I can cope with that.... just!
Overall, it isn't a bad read... maybe, it's a case of 'too many characters, spoil the broth'! 😉 TTFN 😊.
Sharon Acierno
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Abandoned

This was a fast paced book. It kept me wondering what was going to happen next. I was somewhat disappointed with the ending. I was thinking that his sister might be found. All and all I stayed with the story until the very end.
Josette Thomas
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one scary book. I do not think I would want to visit this orphanage. The author did an awesome job describing the Home so well that I got the creeps reading where the group went. It was too bad that Anna and Jacob did not get closure about their missing loved ones.
Krystle thomson
Really good

It was a really great story. I liked all the little details, really pulled it together in my opinion. I would recommend this book to my friends. Can't wait to read more from this author
Sally Bish
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Abandoned Orphange

This was a great story line. The orphanage was a sad and mean place to be. Things happened continuously in the orphanage. The room would change and you never knew what was waiting around the corner.
Marianne
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not great.

Too long to get started due to far too much description which spoiled what could have been a potentially good read.
Nancy J Doyle
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Just loved it this will keep your interest right till the end the only thing what happened to the boys _____ couldn't finish this sentence didn't want to spoil the book
Sandra Dell
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The Abandoned Orphanage

The story was an interesting one, but the book really needed a proof reader. It was not well written.
The book might be good for those ten and up.
Jennie Ersari
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chilling book!

Jacob's sister disappears just n an old abandoned orphanage and he enlisted a reporter named Jose to help him solve the mystery. Very scary and chilling book!
pat goode
Good story

It was a good story .a bit scary att times.but a good story to it ,althoughi im not a lover of horror stories usually
Michelle Wyche
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I honestly enjoyed this book. It was full of twists and shows how evil some humans can be
Leeann Vose
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad but it needs a better editor

I liked the story. It was descriptive and fairly easy to follow. There are many spelling mistakes and some undefinable words. It distracted me so much I had almost quit reading. But I have OCD so I had to finish.

• Good, Bad and Pure Evil: Anglesey Mysteries (The Anglesey Mysteries Book 1)
  • Anglesey Blue (DI Tudor Manx, #1)
  • Dead on Demand (DCI Morton #1)
  • Bone Pit (Gina Mazzio #3)
  • The Attic Room
  • The Strange Adventures of H
  • Cause to Run (Avery Black, #2)
  • The Sewing Machine
  • Citadel (Languedoc, #3)
  • The Daughters of Foxcote Manor
  • The Mark (The Working Girls #1)
  • This Could Change Everything
  • The Haunting of Gillespie House
  • House of Shadows (Ghosts and Shadows,#1)
  • Lost in Me (Here and Now, #1)
  • FIGHTING FOR SURVIVAL: It's survival of the fittest in a Post-Apocalyptic world (Pandemic Virus Series Book 1)
  • The Nightmare Collection: Volume 1
  • What Ever Happened to Heather?