Start by marking “Fractured: International Hostage Thriller” as Want to Read:
Fractured: International Hostage Thriller

Fractured: International Hostage Thriller

Shortlisted for the Amazon Rising Star Award

Longlisted for the Guardian Not the Booker prize 2016

'Clar provides access to the beating hearts on all sides of terror that even our best journalists can't reach…' -- Christopher Bollen, author

'Compelling and relentless…page-turner of a novel' -- Damien Lewis

'A turbulent journey to the world's most forgotten corners' -- Celeste
Published February 1st 2016 by Legend Press

Start your review of Fractured: International Hostage Thriller
Darcia Helle
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fractured has aspects of mystery, suspense, and thriller, but as a whole I think the book fits best within the genre of literary fiction. We have a lot of character introspection throughout the narration, which slows the pace. At the same time, this gives depth to the characters and the content, allowing us time to explore the humanity within the madness. This story, at its heart, is mostly about the people and how circumstances have and will change them.

Some of the references here might be lost
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Fractured is the authors debut novel.

The story is told in the form of alternating chapters between three characters, Peter, Nina and Abdi.

Peter is a journalist who gets kidnapped. The chapters where Peter is captured and is being held captive is enough to turn your blood cold. The fear that Peter felt just flowed from the pages onto me giving me goose bumps.

Abdi is brought up seeing and experiencing things no one should have to see. His mother relies on Abdi to get himself a job so they can save
Mandy
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think what I liked most about this remarkably accomplished debut novel is that it is so intelligent in its approach. The author never falls into easy or banal assumptions, never falls into the cliché trap and never lets her characters become stereotypes. On one level, the book is, indeed, a thriller. Peter Maguire, a journalist, is kidnapped and held hostage in Somalia. His fate is uncertain and he is well aware he could be killed at any time. Fast-paced and exciting, the plot revolves around ...more
Bookread2day
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

Fractured is a engaging novel about a journalist Peter Magurie who has been kidnapped in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu.

Peter Magurie can remember his name, he don't know where his room is or how long he has been there. He don't know what time it is but he is sure it is daytime as he can smell the outside. The tomb is made of rough brick. Can he get out? Not by the hairs on his chinny-chin.

The narratives are split into three parts Peter the journalist, Nina the mother and Abdi the soldier.

Michael Logan
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I knew Clar back in Nairobi, when she was running as part of the journalist crowd, then we sort of fell out of touch. I knew she had been writing a book (I looked at the first chapter early on), but I didn't realize it had been published until a few weeks ago. So, of course I went out and bought it.

This is pitched as an "international hostage thriller", but in truth it is more of a meditative piece of literary fiction about family, identity and the very human search for redemption. Yes, there is
Anne
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anyone who watches and listens to the world news will be familiar with the name of Somalia's capital city Mogadishu. I knew where it was, I knew that it was a dangerous place, and I knew that reporters tell us about deaths and terrorism on what seems to be an almost daily basis. I admit that I did not know the history of this troubled place, I struggle to understand the reasoning behind the political unrest in this country on the other side of the world.

Clar Ni Chonghaile has spent time in
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This isn’t normally a book I would opt for myself as I don’t tend to read this kind of subject matter but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. You would be hard pushed to not know about Somalia and in particular the capital city of Mogadishu. We’ve all heard how dangerous the place can be and the author does well at setting the scene in her debut novel, Fractured.
The main character, Peter Maguire, has been captured in Mogadishu and fears for his life. The tale centres around Peter, his
Anne Goodwin
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: debut-novelists
Fractured is an ambitious debut novel about the parallels between kidnap and its aftermath and the struggle for freedom from the traumas of the mind, in the context of the complex politics of Somalia …
Full review http://annegoodwin.weebly.com/annecdo...
Craig Gillan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: legend-100
Book was well enough written just didn't like Peter or his mother, I thought they were both far too selfish with the choices they made
Linda Hepworth
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Set in strife-ridden Somalia, “where peace is fickle, war is random and death is the only constant”, this gripping story is told from the perspectives of the three main characters – Peter, a journalist who has been captured and is being held hostage, Abdi, a traumatised Somalian teenager, who is, reluctantly, one of his guards and Nina, Peter’s mother, a retired journalist. As their individual narratives develop the reader becomes involved, not only in all the tensions of the actual kidnapping ...more
Kate
‘Fractured’ consists of a three-way narrative between kidnap victim Peter, his mother Nina, and Abdi, the young man assigned as Peter’s guard and carer while he’s in activity, and each of them have very similar stories to tell. Naturally, as the main focus of ‘Fractured’ Peter’s tale takes centre stage, and it’s as visceral, tense, and violent as you can imagine. To distract himself from his pain, and the threat of imminent execution at the hands of terrorist group al Shabaab, Peter recalls his ...more
Wendy
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fractured is bold and intense, as hopeful as it is bleak. Every word from its heart is perfectly attuned to capture the shifting mood throughout, and it doesn’t miss a beat.

A story-hungry journalist, his estranged mother, and a Somali teenager. These individuals will endure many challenges presented by a country where the struggle for control takes centre stage, and the consequences are greater than they could ever imagine.

The opening scenes evoke a sense of hopelessness for Peter Maguire, a
Jackie Law
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fractured, by Clár Ní Chonghaile, is a political thriller set in and around contemporary Somalia. The country is overflowing with insurgents, power hungry terrorists, and local people reluctantly drawn into the latest bloody conflict by the mayhem their everyday lives have become. It is a fascinating exploration of how and why seemingly ordinary people become killers. It offers a chance of empathy if not understanding.

The protagonist is a journalist, Peter Maguire, who has been kidnapped and
Sharon Bhamra
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fractured is a compelling political thriller set in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu. The novel follows journalist, Peter Maguire as he embarks on a journey to Somalia to cover Africa’s combat against terrorism; however, he is captured and held hostage. The narrative is written from three first person perspectives: Peter, Nina and Abdi, in which they alternately narrate their disjointed stories by portraying their chaotic lives and experiences within a hostile environment.

At the heart of the novel,
Leese Wright
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of "Fractured" through Goodreads Giveaways and, in return, I wanted to leave an honest review of the book.

Fractured is a novel about three different people with different stories, but all intertwined together. Beginning with a Western journalist held hostage in Somalia, the story is about his brave escape and survival and the people who helped him along the way. It's a story about life and death and the grey area that sits in between.

The story is told through varying
Hannah
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a hard one to rate, for me. I would probably say 3.5 stars but have rounded up.

I loved the different viewpoints and how it showed the realities of war affecting human behaviour. I loved the lack of clichés and stereotypes and I loved the writing style, which was easy to read and yet enjoyable to savour.

The novel is brilliant in the way it explores the randomness of our lives, which is tricky to do in a novel because the form implicitly has design behind its events. The story of
Shannon
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a novel I think fractured works on a number of levels, it begins with a sense of suspense, Peter Maguire, a journalist is taken hostage in Somalia and is held to ransom. The plot continues by delving into his past and explores the decision of his fate. However it follows a few different characters closely, the others being his mother, Nina who comes to help and Abdi a Somalian boy who is struggling to remain an individual and stay out of Al-Shabbab grasp. These characters help with the wider ...more
Vicki Bowles
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the published Legend Press in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This book is not my usual genre of chick lit or women's fiction. But it appealed to me because it is so relevant today, in this sad world of extremism and violence. And I have to confess to loving TV series such as 24 and Strike Back.

The story is told from three points of view - Peter, the hostage, his mother, Nina and Abdi, torn by his beliefs. Each of them goes through their own personal hell, whether
Rachel
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a novel about a story-hungry journalist, his estranged mother, and a Somali teenager. It is bold, intense, it has a plot that makes you just have to finish the next page, the next chapter and before you know it, the entire book.

You are thrown into the story quite abruptly as it is narrated by Peter Maquire, a journalist who has been kidnapped and is being held hostage in Somalia. His existence in captivity is best described as being bleak, quite as you imagine it would be if it was you
Susan
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fractured is an engrossing, pacey novel about a journalist kidnapped in Somalia. It examines his relationships with his captors and the country he is in, as well as relationships back home with his parents and girlfriend/partner and with another woman who has born his son. With fascinating insights into the interlinked worlds of crime and extremism, it will leave you with plenty to think about. The author writes beautifully, with an occasional stunning turn of phrase.

I really enjoyed reading
Katrina Vasey
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author has a stunning ability to capture moments and emotions and vocalise them in a way that is so relatable, yet one would not be able to articulate. The novel is gritty and doesn't shy away from the harsh topics of terrorism or the current political situation in places like Somalia. The varied voices presented to the reader make for interesting comparisons and are different enough that the reader is constantly kept on their toes; this book is hard to put down and I read this in two ...more
Martin Turner
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really gripping novel based on a kidnapping of a journalist in war torn Somalia. As the book itself alludes, this is a part of the world where there is a lot going on but gets largely ignored and/or forgotten by the world's media. I'm afraid that I found the cover quite uninspiring or eye-catching, but don't let this put you off what is a really good read. The journalist in question faces a seemingly hopeless situation which leads to a lot of soul searching, not only by him, but by ...more
Suzy Bowler
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I was sent a review copy of this book by Legend Press at first felt a bit disappointed as this is really not my normal style of reading matter. How wrong I was, as soon as I read the first page I was hooked.

The story is of a journalist held hostage in Somalia told from his own perspective plus that of his mother and of Abdi, a young guy recruited by the terrorist group to “take care” of the prisoner. The book is topical, realistic and makes one look at Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism
Tracey
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Irene Adam
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free advance e-copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is a political thriller set in Somalia where terrorist acts, jihad, bloodshed, and death are part of everyday life. “Fractured” is written from the perspectives of three different characters: Peter, a kidnapped journalist; Nina, his mother; and Abdi, a Somali boy, the kidnapped journalist’s caretaker who has grown up around daily violence and death. This is a very well written book with a ...more
David Ross
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although initially confused by the title, for a terrorist kidnapping, it soon became obvious that this was the story of three broken families brought together by events in war-torn Somalia. Peter McGuire’s kidnap ordeal and perhaps ignited by this traumatic experience added to his lack of self- belief in who he actually was and where his destiny lay. The writer’s journalistic experience shines through this gripping psychoanalytical tale of the main characters infused with cliché’s and intimate ...more
Polly Krize
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A look at the massive problems in Somalia from all sides. A journalist, Peter, is kidnapped, ostensibly to be held for ransom. Abdi, one of his captors helps in his escape, putting pressure on his clan to help. Peter's mother arrives from Paris as support, her own memories cascading on her. This is a gritty, well-written book, recommended.
Hazel
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a debut novel by this particular author and, to be honest, not one that I would have chosen to read myself but was lucky enough to have been sent an advance copy from the publisher, Legend Times Group, in return for an honest review and I am really pleased they did as I really enjoyed it.

Full review on my blog - Reading Stuff 'n' Things
Cathymac
Fractured is a fascinating and gripping account of the kidnapping of a journalist Peter, told from the point of view of Peter, his mother Nina and his guard Abdi. It's a well written and intelligent thriller, but is also an interesting exploration of how the choices we make can influence our whole lives. This is a very powerful debut and I look forward to seeing what Ni Chondhaile does next.
Cheryl
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fractured, the adjective, could be used to describe the main protagonist, Peter Maguire, or the country that he finds himself in, namely war-torn Somalia. Fractured, the novel, gives us an in-depth and poignant portrayal of both.

full review on my blog : http://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspot...
Clár Ni Chonghaile is the author of Fractured (Legend Press, 2016), Rain Falls on Everyone (Legend Press, 2017), and The Reckoning (Legend Press, 2018).

Clár grew up in the West of Ireland, the eldest of seven children. She left Ireland aged 19 to work as a graduate trainee journalist at Reuters in London. Clár has worked as a journalist for over 20 years and has lived in Madrid, Paris, the Ivory
“I was anxious, but also eager to be back in that Boy’s Own world where every emotion was heightened, where even boredom had an edge. This” 0 likes