Start by marking “The Map (Jackaby, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Map (Jackaby, #1.5)

The Map

(Jackaby #1.5)

Perfect for fans of "Jackaby" who are desperately awaiting the release of its sequel, "Beastly Bones, "this novella-length story follows the rollicking events of Abigail Rook's birthday celebration. Abigail hopes that her birthday will slip by unnoticed and uncelebrated, but her employer, detective of the supernatural R. F. Jackaby, has other plans. Using magical party cra ...more
Published June 15th 2015 by Algonquin Books (first published June 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Map

TL
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There is no golden light, Mr. Jackaby. Not for normal people.” Jackaby’s gift as a seer allows him to penetrate magical concealments, make impossible connections, and recognize the auras surrounding objects and people, particularly those with magical significance. I have the rather less unique ability to see the world the way it actually appears.

“No?” Jackaby tilted his head in mock sympathy. “It must be so dismal being you.”

“Only in present company,” I teased back.

----

Aah, I have missed you
Cathy  Pratt
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not think I was going to like this book but I see I was wrong. I actually loved it. It was weird but also very funny. I would read the 4 books that go with this book.
Aneta Bak
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
“It’s not about the treasure— it’s about the hunt. - Abigail”

Jackaby and Abigail set off on another (smaller) adventure. It is Abigail's birthday and Jackaby takes her to a mystical market where the two find a map and decide to follow it to the very end. The pair must decipher the map and follow it to the X.

This story is very cute. It's a fast and quick read. Any fan of the series so far will absolutely love this short story.

I suppose since it doesn't spoil anything major from the first book y
Melissa Chung
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with Mr. William Ritter. He is so good at making me laugh. He writes with out hurry. With a wonder and a laugh. The best way to write.

I absolutely love Jackaby. He is sweet and completely clueless to others emotions. I think Abigail and Jackaby are the right sort of team. I wonderful ying to his yang.

In this delightful novella Abigail has turned another year older. Jackaby the ever entertaining employer and friend decided to celebrate Abigail's birthday with an adventure. He takes
Deborah O'Carroll
Oh my word, this story! GAH. *huggles it* Okay, so it's a short story/novella type thing, which is free on Kindle, set between Jackaby and Beastly Bones. It's a short, fun read, and has an even different feel than the other two, but I simply LOVED it.

It's Abigail's birthday, and Jackaby takes her on a treasure hunt with an old map and fantastical things ensue. But get this: it's entirely based around trying to find the treasure from the Irish song "Whiskey in the Jar." This kind of totally made
Giovanna
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
"Morning, sir."
“Obviously,” he replied without turning around. It wasn’t that Jackaby was rude, exactly. Tactless though he was, there was an earnestness to the man. “I should expect you to have long outgrown being impressed by the fact that the sun rises daily in the east, Miss Rook. Really. You can manage more impressive observations than that.” Then again, Jackaby might have just been rude.

Dear Mr Jackaby,
I love you.
Marry me, pretty pretty please.
Yours,
Gio.

P.s. My birthday is on September 3
Frannie Pan
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars.

Give me a treasure hunt and I will love you forever.
William Ritter kind of did, so... Yes, I love his series!

In this little short story, Jackaby takes Abigail on an adventure to find the Bold Deceiver's treasure and celebrate holiday!

I will say that I was under the impression it lacked the realness of the 1st book, since in this novella there aren't just paranormal creatures but pure magic and gravitating islands and teleporting from one place to another using party crackers.
Bu
Brandi
Loved this little novella even better than its predecessor, Jackaby. Brings to mind the wonder and wit of some of the best sci-fi I've ever read or watched. I'm not exaggerating when I say that William Ritter would probably write fantastic episodes of "Doctor Who." This is excellent stuff.
Tiffy
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this short story it's Abigail's Birthday and Jacaby has plans for her. She wants adventure so they set off on one. All in all a fun quick read. I enjoy Jackaby's character so much as well as Abigail Rook.
Courtney (bookplaces)
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
"It's not about the treasure - it's about the hunt." -Abigail Rook

It's no secret that I love novellas and I was excited to learn that there is a novella for the Jackaby series! This was a fun little story featuring Jackaby's idea of a great birthday gift for Abigail Rook - an adventure! The detective duo stumbled onto a treasure map created by the subject of an old pub song and began a treasure hunt. The hunt was full of the strange and mysterious, featuring giant vegetables, magpies, goblins, a
Eeva
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yawn..
Phee
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Quick, humorous and whimsical. Lovely!!
rachel
I could not have asked for a more brilliant novella. Finally, a short story that actually adds to the series and enhances the character development. It made me adore Jackaby far more than I originally did and it answered some of my question about his supernatural gifts. I honestly loved it more than I can say.

If you a fan of the series, don't overlook it. It's most definitely worth a read.
Bekah
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun filler between Jackaby and Beastly Bones, a wonderful reminder of why I had enjoyed the first book so much. I just loved the references to Whiskey In The Jar and couldn't stop humming or singing it as I read. The story was short, but not too short. Of course, I wish it had been another hundred or so pages longer, but I will get more from these characters soon enough. Rook and Jackaby make a great pair and I am so anxious for more!
Dawn Michelle
I LOVE these books; L O V E them. This was a perfect short story and highly enjoyable. I wish there had been an audio of it [since I totally love the narrator for this series as well], but just reading it was delightful as well. It makes me want to dive right into the next novel even though I do not have time to be starting a new book like that. :-)
Maud
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella
It was fun but it feels as if the world inside of this short story is not the same as the world we got to know in Jackaby. In Jackaby, Jackaby makes it clear that he is a man of science but the mode of transportation that they use in this short story reeks of magic. I wished it would have been explained a bit more like a science thing or maybe something from a creature because now, it kinda feels like it doesn't fit with the story we got in Jackaby. Other than that it was fun though.
Wiebke (1book1review)
This was a short fun adventure back in the world with Jackaby and Miss Rook. Clearly made want to pick up the next in the series.
Lia Ung
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lia by: My
4.5
Sharni
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Ahhhh! How lovely to spend more time with Abigail Rook and Jackaby!
Barbara
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story takes place between Jackaby and Beastly Bones and was absolutely delightful. Abigail Rook is hoping that her birthday will escape the notice of her employer, R.F. Jackaby, but he has decided to help her celebrate in a spectacular way. He takes her to a mystical market, where she notices a treasure map but declines it as a present. Of course Jackaby knows better and presents it to her. Using magical party crackers that teleport them to whatever destination they wish, they follow ...more
Andrea
"The air is anathematic, laden with an aura of untold danger." "Untold danger. Charming. That seems to be the unifying theme of today's outing."

Fun, short story in which Jackaby has a special birthday treat for Abigail: a treasure hunt to hidden lands, full of riddles and the aforementioned untold dangers during which they travel by pulling on party crackers (which, by the way, I still find ingenious!). It doesn't really add much to the first book in my opinion, but it does strengthen the fun "p
Riley
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all let me say William Ritter is an actual genius. His characters are genuine and witty. The chemistry between Abigail and Jackaby is not a romantic one but genuine friendship. Even a small little story like this just makes me giddy. The adventure they had was super interesting and it was so easy to picture the setting. The book was also hilarious and all the sarcastic comments always managed to make me smile. Good job Mr. Ritter
Alex
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Actually 3.5 stars. I sure do like Jackaby, and this novella was definitely a good fix for that. It's a good mini adventure to get me ready for when Beastly Bones comes out!!
Ysabel Mystic
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jackaby knows how to give awesome birthdays...
Skye
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute little story. I want to read Beastly Bones so bad, but this was almost enough to tide me over for another couple of days. I love Jackaby and Abigal Rook, that is all.
Mandy
Cute addition to the Jackaby series. Love that it was quite a bit more fantastical than the full novels.
Manisha
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Doctor Who
“I suppose one little party cracker won’t be the end of the world…”

Oh, Abigail, how you don’t know him.

This was just a fun, funny, adventurous short story where Jackaby decides to take Abigail Rook on a trip just to celebrate her birthday. As you can imagine, things don’t go well, they get into trouble, they make things worse, only to make things better, and they survive… barely.

I really miss Doctor Who right now.

Ruthsic
The Map was short, but adorable and exciting. It takes place after the timeline of the first book, but you don't need to read that one for this (still, you might as well, seeing as it is quite entertaining and you get references for a few mentioned characters). I haven't read anything after Jackaby, so, so far I can say that this one adds to the mythology of the series, too, regarding Jackaby's seer powers and the visibility of the magical world to Abigail. It is an adventure as they figure out ...more
Miss Bookiverse
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-my-20s
I wish every novella was like this: free, longer than 5 pages, not necessary for the main novels but still a fun story in itself. The Map gloriously checked off all these points. It's a super cool treasure hunt that let me spend more time with the characters and that offered some creative extra world building.
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy, humor, ya
Fun short story set in the Jackaby/Rook storyline. It takes about 45 minutes to read. I enjoyed the treasure hunt. It reminded me of a cross between Doctor Who, the Hobbit and Monty Python. Great fun.
  • The Faerie Guardian, Part III
  • Ward Against Darkness (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #2)
  • Theodosia and the Flame of Sekhmet (Theodosia Throckmorton, #5)
  • The Flight of the Griffin (The Flight of the Griffin, #1)
  • Ghost Girl in the Corner (Shadowshaper, #1.5)
  • Letters for Lucardo, Vol. 1
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • P.O.W.ER
  • All's Fair in Vanity's War (Deadly Fairy Tales, #2)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • Honor Among Orcs (Orc Saga, #1)
  • The Kidnapped Prime Minister: A Short Story
  • This Winter
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
  • The Life You Save May Be Your Own
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle
  • Mapmaker
  • Murder on Millionaires' Row (Rose Gallagher #1)
WILLIAM RITTER is an Oregon educator and author of the New York Times bestselling Jackaby series. He is the proud father of the two bravest boys in the Wild Wood, and husband to the indomitable Queen of the Deep Dark.

Jackaby (4 books)
  • Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby, #3)
  • The Dire King (Jackaby, #4)
“Jackaby put his hand on my shoulder. He waited until I met his gaze to speak. His eyes were soft and full of respect. “Rook,” he said with quiet earnestness, “it was a hare, not a rabbit.” 8 likes
“Rook, I should think it obvious.” He smiled broadly. “I’m famously important.” 6 likes