Start by marking “A Writer's Space: Make Room to Dream, to Work, to Write” as Want to Read:
A Writer's Space: Make Room to Dream, to Work, to Write

A Writer's Space: Make Room to Dream, to Work, to Write

Eric Maisel provides an original approach to creativity that focuses on having both a mental and physical space in which to create. It gives authors with writer’s block a personal creativity coach to help spark their imagination.
Published May 1st 2008 by Adams Media (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Writer's Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writer's Space

Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Worth owning. Worth re-reading. Very very good book.

Lessons:

1. Moving words from your brain to the page is a prolonged act of thinking and feeling that requires that you inhabit a physical space. Any given physical space will do a better or poorer job of serving this process: how good a job does yours do?

2. Some writing spots are more congenial than others. Find your best spot; or create it, if it doesn't exist, by pushing furniture around, by reclaiming the junk room, by doing whatever is neces
Mary Kenyon
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent little book on how to find space (in your life, your home, and your head) to write. I've been writing for 30 years, and currently hard at work on a contracted book, and I still found inspiration and encouragement in this. Will definitely pick up more books by this author.
Emma Sea
This was an unexpected little gem. Maisel calls me on all my bullshit excuses for why I do not work.

This review thoroughly summarizes the book.

One of my favourite ideas is simply writing for 15 minutes every four hours. 8am, midday, 4pm, 8pm; write. He also addresses issues of space/place, which I found very useful.

I read a library copy, but I'll be buying a copy to keep.
Wes Locher
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
My main motivation for picking up Eric Maisel's A Writer's Space was because I had recently moved into a new home and was having some trouble setting up my home office to be a comfortable environment in which to write in. This book had a lot of helpful advice on how to set up a good area for yourself where you can be creative and the good energy can flow.

The rest of he chapters on this book deal with mental and meta-physical "spaces" which went a little deeper than what I was looking for. Near t
Liz Gibbs
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
My favorite thing about this book is that it made me FEEL like a writer. Exploring where to write and what to write about, and discussing problems that are common to writers made me feel like someone else in the world understood my life, and didn't judge me for it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it slowly, rarely more than a chapter at a time. The ideas were encouraging to me and if you're a writer or would like to be, then this book is a must-read!
Rod Raglin
May 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Are writer’s born or made?

Can anyone become a writer, specifically a writer of fiction, or is the proclivity to writing an innate characteristic?

This is a question I often ask myself, particularly when participants in my creative writing circles ask for writing prompts or inquire where to find story ideas. As if the life you live and all the people you interact with is not material enough.

It’s then that I think these people are not writers, but instead fantasize about the clichéd version of a w
Naveed
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
If this book cannot kick start you writing, there is nothing in the world which can do so !!! Eric Maisel writes so freely, like water smoothly running down stream. I got so much fascinated by seeing how the author brings in his innovation in every sentence after sentence. To my amusement, the author briefly goes over so profound intricate topics with so much fluency. For an instance, I had read tons of material on emotional intelligence, yet this book gives me a holistic view in a few pages enc ...more
Sonide
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
In this hands-on how to book, Maisel introduces the reader and writer in us different techniques he's found useful to bringing his work to fruition. My favorite had to be the space for writing and the protecting it, technique. He talked about developing a pattern with yourself, so that your brain can recognize when it's time to start delivering so you can have a more successful writing session. Overall useful book for me as I discovered my love for writing.
James Heiney
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it
It's a really good book so far and has kept me motivated to write. There have been a lot of good tips so far...from organizing my physical space to keeping me motivated.

Now that I've finished the book, I had to drop the rating. While the first 150 pages of the book are good, Maisel gets into some philosophical areas towards the end of the book. Some people might like that, but it was little more than philosophy 101 for me.
Ellie
Has all the right elements but didn't quite take off for me. Probably could be very helpful for others-it just didn't ignite any passion in me so it never became anything more than intellectually interesting. I think a book like this has a very personal relationship with its reader and like any relationship, when it works it's probably great.
Michele Garber
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
An excellent guide to creating a productive workspace! Can't say I always follow good advice, but there's plenty here to be had. A friendly book that addresses not just your physical environment, but your mental, emotional, and existential needs as well. Lots of great exercises to help you determine what your needs are and how to achieve them.
Ani
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this was really cute, sweet and informative. I didn't do any of the exercises because I'm reading other books that have similar sorts of exercises. I just wanted this to be light and informative and it was exactly that.

The most impact it made on me was that I don't have to feel guilty at all about wanting to write on my couch, curled up with a blanket, instead of at my desk. Woo!
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
An awesome book - very good to read in pieces at a time. Its encouraging and provides some excellent insight into the writing process, as well as life choices and attitudes a writer needs to be healthy & productive.
K.M. Weiland
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Not heavy-duty (and not really concerned with "space"), but an energetic pep talk with a smattering of excellent thoughts.
Rachael
A quick read, and a book to return to when I feel that the space for my writing is getting cramped. It's inspired me to think more creatively about the physical space where I write.
Shauna
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A quick read chockfull of ideas for finding good physical and mental places to write.
Donna
Feb 10, 2013 added it
I continue trying to make room in my life "to dream, to work, to write." It is time to reorganize my schedule and actually pursue what I want from life. Let's hope this book can help.
Catherine Stapleton
I'm still trying to digest this one.
Meghan Ryan
Aug 01, 2014
Merritt
Aug 27, 2014
Mark Lacy
rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2014
Hanje Richards
Jul 18, 2013
J. L.  Lincicome
Feb 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eric Maisel, Ph.D., is the author of more than 40 books in the areas of creativity, coaching, mental health, and cultural trends. He is a psychotherapist and creativity coach, and writes for Psychology Today and Professional Artist Magazine and presents workshops internationally.