Start by marking “The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)” as Want to Read:
The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)

The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  767 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Retells a part of the Odyssey in which King Odysseus fights the cyclops.
Published September 1st 2003 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The One-Eyed Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One-Eyed Giant

Coreena McBurnie
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tales From The Odyssey is a series of six children's books that retell Homer's Odyssey. They are written by Mary Pope Osborne of The Magic Tree House fame and are written for a similar age group, I would say around grade 2 to 6. The names of the characters may be a bit complicated, but there is a pronunciation guide in the back. I have chosen to review the series as a whole because I tend to think of The Odyssey as a whole, that and we read them so fast that they seem like one story.

I recently r
Julie Suzanne
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Low-level readers in higher grades or 3rd grade boys.
I do so recommend this to students who are at the Magic Treehouse reading level but want a little more action. I have students who are in middle school reading Magic Treehouse, and I highly recommend this to them as the content is a little more interesting.

My son was tired of Magic Treehouse books being so tame, and this one described the cyclops tearing limbs off of his friends and eating them whole, once vomiting, drunk, chunks of human flesh, blood, and brains. My son was officially hooked o
Corinne
What a FIND! This series of books is a retelling of that age old tale, The Odyssey. The text is swiftly paced but with a lot of detail and Osborne assumes that kids who will read it can handle it's...harshness? Yes, soldiers get eaten by the Cyclops. Yes, they gouge the Cyclop's eye out with a stake. My 7 year old adored this chapter book - the chapters are just the right length (I read aloud 2-3 chapters per evening) and although I would've thought it would be illustrated, it isn't. But it was ...more
JoAnna Morris
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I read the series aloud to my kids and they hung on my every word. They begged for me to read it to them throughout the day. We had a hard time putting it down and finished the series of 6 books in a few short weeks.
Mary Pope Osborne did an excellent job simplifying The Odyssey for children (and adults). I am grateful that my children have this great foundation of Homer's famous poem to help them in their future studies.
teresa
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
We have been reading Greek Myths lately and I discovered this series by Mary Pope Osborne. They are written for grade 2-5 but I am reading them aloud to my 5 year olds. I think Osborne does a great job of taking the story and making it interesting and understandable for younger kids. We will be reading the rest of the series.
Elizabeth Tyree
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this one to my 4 year old as well. I love The Odyssey and this abridged middle grade version was a nice compromise to allow me to share one of my literary favorites with my Monkey.
Breanna Riley
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lib-428
An easy to understand story of one of many Odysseus's trials when he is faced to go off to war away from his family. He has to face this Giant and outwit him in order to return to sea and face many other obstacles so he can then return home.
Asriani
Courtney
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A pretty accurate children's version of homer's The Oddesy.
Nari
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mythology
When Odysseus is summoned to fight in the Trojan War, he never thought that it would take him almost 10 years to return to his family on their home of Ithaca. With cunning and ingenuity, Odysseus manages to win a victory for Greece over Troy, but on the way back, he angers one too many of the great Gods of Olympus, thus delaying his journey home. This first book covers the first of his many blunders, particularly with the Cyclops and the God Poseidon.

I really enjoyed this series. Mary Pope Osbor
Juan-Diego
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought that the story that Mary Pope Osborne told was pretty gruesome because when Odyssey and his men were stuck in a cave with a one-eyed giant for each meal the giant smashed two Greek men and chewed them with a following gulp of milk from his goats. After that, that night Odyssey came up with a plan, his plan was to take the giant’s stake and jam it in the fire and then poke it in the giant’s single eyeball in the center of his eye.
The problem that Odyssey had was that he kept on hurting
00lovebooks00
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this series when I was back in elementary school (maybe grade 6?...from like grade 5-7?) and I remember that I absolutely loved this series! XD

As a kid I picked it up from our school library and thought it would just be a quick read and I immediately became hooked and literally, I would finish 1/2 books per night and the next day I would get the next couple of books XD (I'm sure if you were allowed to take more than like 3 books out I would have read all through the night) and
Dolly
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our oldest is in love with all things pertaining to Greek Mythology, so this was a natural choice for her. We found another one of these books in our travels, but it was book number 5 (Return to Ithaca), so we decided to wait and read the first four books first. I like that this is a condensed, accessible version for children. It keeps the excitement and adventure of the story without being too difficult to read or overly long. I think that this kind of adaptation will help our girls develop a l ...more
Tia Hall
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, classics
JOnah, my 6 year old, just finished this book. Can I say that I LOVE Mary Pope Osborne. She has the most phenomenal books for young readers. I am so grateful that I can expose my children to the classics, history, non-fiction and fiction on a level that they love to read, and can understand. It is great exposure, and will make it much easier to learn and to love these topics when they are exposed to them in their more raw form as they grow up and go through their education. Jonah loved this book ...more
Kimberly
I picked this up to read with #1, who is seven. He turned his nose up, but I convinced him to try it. While reading, he would stop to ask what a particular word meant, which really bugged me while reading. There are a lot of large words and phrases that he has just not been exposed to in the story. Looking back, it was a great vocabulary lesson. We finished tonight and he asked if I would find book 2 to read, that he "kind of thought the story was good, but just kind of." (His words friends.) I ...more
Greta
My students in my 4-6th reading class LOVED these books. They have a map graphic organizer. The stories are broken up unto several books and the content is understandable and not too esoteric for readers. Book series rates at the 5-6 grade indepedendent reading level. These books are out of print and I have seen them listed for as much as 55.00 a book..HOWEVER if you are diligent and keep looking cheaper prices have come up. some I got in hardcover for about 4.00.
Beth
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This excellent retelling of the Odyssey starts with the end of the Trojan War. My 4th Gr son was super excited about the Enormous Hollow Horse with the trap door to hide Greek soldiers. He was less excited about the mass slaughter that followed that trick. (Although Osborne does a good job toning down the violence).

This is a perfect choice for reluctant readers who aren't ready to tackle the Percy Jackson series yet.
Susie
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I was really impressed with the first of Mary Pope Osborne’s new series, Tales from the Odyssey, which is a retelling of the Odyssey in chapter book format. As the daughter of a Latin teacher, a Classics minor, and a children’s librarian, I think that this series is a great introduction to classical literature, and I think it would be very appealing to fans of series like the Magic Treehouse and the Secrets of Droon.
Francesca Bertucci
This book is great for children between 3-6th grade. Its very magical and entertaining. Its about Odysseus and his challenges. He has to leave his home to fight in the Trojan War and he can't imagine being away from his family for so long. Finally he is leading his men home and they have to take on many challenges before they reach home. The one-eyed giant being one of the most challenging and dangerous tasks they must take on.
Nathaniel
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Odysseus and his men were sailing and got stuck on an island. They went exploring on this island and they got stuck in a cave cause a one eyed giant rolled a boulder in front so they couldn't get out. For his meal he ate 2 of his men. One night they burned his eye so he was blind. Then he opens the door so they escape.
Clara
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This series is a very simple introduction into Greek Mythology. My second grader loved reading them and I was impressed with the many subjects that Mary Pope Osborne has written about. My kids love her Magic Tree House series but she has written about several cultures myths and we have enjoyed reading several of those books including this series and her Favorite Greek Myths book.
Veronica
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Advie
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not enough time to read the Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer...Mary Pope Osborne has struck gold again with yet another book. This is part of a three part book series recapping the highlights of Homer's book. I very much enjoyed reading this one and getting a taste of the classic without all the time needed to read it.
Cindy
Sep 26, 2012 added it
My daughter actually picked these out herself at the library, and has LOVED reading them. (Tear!) They are a quick read, but really very well-written. She has long outgrown the Treehouse series, but I was thrilled to find that Osborne's version of Odysseus's stories are accurate and very entertaining!
Nicholas
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelli
Mary Pope Osborne translations the challenging work of Homer’s The Odyssey to a level that elementary age students can read and enjoy. I love how many chapter book series adaptations of Greek Mythology there are available kids of all ages and reading levels to learn from; hopefully making it less daunting when asked to read the full epic tales later.

Carla Ehrenreich
Will Odysseus foil the one-eyed cyclops? Can he do it? Yes he can!

Lesson learned? Nothing good comes from pretending to be crazy to get out of jobs you don't want to do... Remember that the next time your Mom asks you to clear the supper table.
Brenda
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very nice story of Homer's Odyssey. I liked reading more about Greek Mythology and it was very easy to follow. Middle grade students would be able to follow this pretty easily but unsure about how they would deal with some of the things monsters do in the story to they Greeks.
Melanie
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The boys and I are studying Greece right now, and this has been a great book. They like the story of Odysseus, and it's a good way to introduce them to a classic story. Book has been a good supplement to our Greece unit.
Kathy
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. And so did my 7 year old son! If you've never plowed through the Odyssey, but would like to learn the fundementals of this great epic tale, here is the perfect abridged edition! Still poetic and engaging in regular 2nd grade level English.
  • The Storm
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Raft
  • The Adventures of Odysseus
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR (The Story of the World #4)
  • A Weed Is a Flower: The Life of George Washington Carver
  • The Treasure
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids
  • Computational Fairy Tales
  • Exploring Creation: With Astronomy
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • Pia the Penguin Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Ocean Fairies, #3)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Tales from the Odyssey (6 books)
  • The Land of the Dead (Tales from the Odyssey, #2)
  • Sirens and Sea Monsters (Tales from the Odyssey #3)
  • The Gray-Eyed Goddess (Tales from the Odyssey, #4)
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • The Final Battle (Tales from the Odyssey, #6)